English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

Karnataka floor test slated for 4 pm by Pro Tem Speaker Bopaiah, to be telecast live

Published

on

Karnataka floor test slated for 4 pm by Pro Tem Speaker Bopaiah, to be telecast live

Pro Tem Speaker of Karnataka assembly KG Bopaiah will preside over the floor test at 4 pm today, Saturday, May 19, for BS Yeddyurappa to prove his majority.

The proceedings will be telecast live.

Direction for this were given by the Supreme Court this morning while hearing the Congress-JD(S) objections to appointment of Bopaiah as pro tem speaker against the convention of designating the senior most MLA for the task.

The SC  dismissed the plea repeated by Yeddyurappa’s counsel Mukul Rohatgi for a “little more time” – at least until Monday – as the time given was “too short”.

The Congress argued that Bopaiah is not just the wrong candidate in seniority — the senior-most lawmaker in Karnataka is Congress’s RV Deshpande — but he has a history of breaking rules to save Yeddyurappa in trust votes.

The SC, while hearing the objections to Bopaiah’s appointment, said to go into this, the other side would also have to heard and the floor test would have to postponed. The court also said that it could not direct the Governor to appoint the senior most MLA as pro tem speaker unless the convention becomes law.

The court said the better option was to have the assembly proceedings telecast live to ensure transparency. This would take care of the concerns raised.

This will be the third floor test that Yeddyurappa will face. In 2007, he resigned ahead of the floor test after JD(S) leadership refused to extend support to his government and in 2011, he comfortably won.

Yeddyurappa exuded confidence, saying he would win the floor test easily and insisted that many Congress-JD(S) MLAs would vote in his favour.

His close aide and Udupi-Chikkamagalur MP Shobha Karandlaje said, “We welcome the Supreme Court ruling… we have already got support of 120 MLAs including 16 from Congress and JD(S) camps and are confident of proving our majority.”

There were other developments and moves. Three Congress lawmakers were missing in the Karnataka assembly as newly-elected members were sworn in on Saturday.

The Congress and Janata Dal Secular have gone to great lengths to protect their 116 legislators, but two Congress members, Anand Singh and Pratap Gowda Patil, have been missing for two days and the Congress alleged constant attempts being made to break its lawmakers.

Pratap Gowda was not present in the assembly when his name was called out for his oath. Sources say the missing lawmakers are at a hotel where attempts are on to bring them around. Anand Singh had alleged that he was “kidnapped and threatened with criminal cases”.

Yesterday, the Congress alleged audio proof that Janardhana Reddy, the mining kingpin closely associated with the BJP, had tried to bribe a lawmaker. Union Minister Prakash Javadekar rubbished the Congress charge. “There is a reference to Amit Shah in it… Amit Shah doesn’t do this… Several such lies have been exposed,” the senior BJP leader, calling the tape “false propaganda”.

There were reports that two Congress legislators and one from the BJP were not in the house, three hours before the Karnataka trust vote. Quoting sources, ANI reported BJP legislator G Somashekhar Reddy is with the two ‘missing’ Congress MLAs Anand Singh and Pratap Gouda.

Ordered by the Supreme Court to personally monitor the security of the MLAs, the Director General of Police went to the Goldfinch hotel to check  if the Congress lawmakers, Anand Singh and Pratap Gowda Patil, had been held captive or were there of their own free will, people familiar with the matter told NDTV.

“Elaborate security arrangements have been made at the secretariat and homes of legislators’ to facilitate smooth conduct of the assembly proceedings for the floor test,” Karnataka Director General of Police Nilamani Raju said, the NDTV reported. Any kind of rally or procession by political parties and their supporters are banned.

India News

Himanta Sarma accuses Sonia, Rahul of provoking unrest over Vande Mataram row

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma criticised Sonia and Rahul Gandhi over the Vande Mataram controversy and accused Congress of provoking unrest.

Published

on

Himanta sharma

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday criticised Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over the controversy surrounding the rendition of Vande Mataram at the party headquarters in New Delhi on Independence Day.

Sarma questioned how the Congress would govern if it returned to power, alleging that the conduct of its senior leaders during the national song had raised concerns.

“During Vande Mataram, the way Sonia Gandhi behaved and the song was stopped midway clearly indicates that if Congress mistakenly comes to power, the country will face a worse situation,” Mr Sarma said.

The Assam Chief Minister also accused Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi of encouraging protests in the name of Gen Z.

“Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have almost taken a decision to oppose the country in the name of Gen Z. They are provoking people to protest and trying hard to create a bad environment in the country,” he said.

Sarma further alleged that such actions could contribute to instability in the country.

“I am not bothered about these things, but these people are working against the country and provoking the people of the country to protest and bring anarchy,” he said.

What triggered the Vande Mataram controversy

The political row erupted after footage from the Congress Independence Day programme on August 15 surfaced on social media. The video showed senior Congress leaders, including Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Mallikarjun Kharge, during the rendition of Vande Mataram.

BJP leaders have interpreted gestures seen in the footage as an attempt to interrupt the national song. The Congress, however, has rejected that interpretation.

The issue has since become a political flashpoint, with BJP leaders accusing the Congress of disrespecting Vande Mataram.

A complaint seeking action against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over the alleged disruption is also being examined by the Delhi Police.

Continue Reading

India News

BJP unveils 64-member national team with 3 former CMs, 18 MPs and 10 women

The BJP’s new 64-member national team includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women, with representation from 23 states and Union Territories.

Published

on

The BJP’s new 64-member team of national office bearers brings together former chief ministers, sitting MPs, women leaders and representatives from different social and regional groups as the party prepares for the 2029 Lok Sabha election.

The team, headed by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women leaders. More than 40 per cent of the members belong to deprived communities, according to the details of the appointments.

Northeast gets special focus

The new organisational team includes leaders from 23 states and Union Territories, giving the party’s national leadership a broad geographical representation.

The Northeast has received particular attention, with three leaders from Tripura, Assam and Nagaland included in the team. The BJP’s North-East Coordination Cell will also continue to function under the leadership of Sambit Patra.

The team includes four tribal representatives, with one each from West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and the Northeast. Two of these representatives are women.

Three members from Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh represent the Scheduled Castes in the new team.

Representation across communities

The BJP’s national office bearers also include 10 experienced women leaders from different parts of the country.

The team has representation from different religious communities, including one Sikh, two Christians, one Muslim, one Jain and one Parsi member, alongside Hindu leaders.

Former chief ministers and MPs add experience

The organisational team brings considerable administrative and political experience, with former Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat and former Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb among the members.

Four leaders with previous experience in the Union government and one sitting Union minister are also part of the team.

The new national office bearers include 18 sitting Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members, bringing legislative experience and their connection with constituencies to the organisation.

Professionals and younger leaders add to the team

The team also brings together people from varied professional and academic backgrounds. It includes two professors, four practising doctors, as well as PhD holders, engineers, chartered accountants and lawyers.

The appointments to various Morchas are expected to bring organisational experience, fresh energy and domain expertise to the BJP’s national team.

Continue Reading

India News

Shehzad Poonawalla steps down from BJP, says personal and financial pressures led to decision 

Shehzad Poonawalla has resigned from the BJP, citing pressing financial and personal circumstances, and said he will move to the private sector.

Published

on

Shehzad Punawalla

Shehzad Poonawalla on Monday resigned from the BJP, citing what he described as pressing financial and personal circumstances.

The BJP’s national spokesperson said he had first submitted his resignation on July 30. However, the party did not accept it at the time and asked him to reconsider his decision.

Poonawalla has now reiterated his decision to step down as the BJP’s national spokesperson and relinquish his primary membership of the party.

In his resignation letter to BJP president Nitin Nabin, Poonawalla said that after “long and hard contemplation”, he had decided to seek relief from his organisational responsibilities and active primary membership.

He also referred to developments involving certain individuals in recent days, saying they had reinforced his earlier decision. He did not name anyone in his letter.

Shehzad Poonawalla thanks BJP leadership

Poonawalla said he was touched that the BJP had initially declined to accept his resignation and expressed gratitude towards the party leadership.

He thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP president Nitin Nabin, Home Minister Amit Shah, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and BJP General Secretary (Organisation) BL Santosh for the platform and opportunities he received during his five years with the party.

Poonawalla said his decision to leave was not driven by any sense of hurt and described his sentiments towards the party leadership with “gratefulness, love, affection, and highest regard”.

He said that his decision was linked to pressing financial and personal circumstances and that he would move into the private sector.

At the same time, Poonawalla said he would continue to support Prime Minister Modi’s vision and work, as well as that of the BJP, wherever possible.

“I am only leaving the Vyavastha not the Vyakti or Vichar,” he said.

Shehzad Poonawalla’s political journey

A lawyer, Poonawalla began his political career with the Congress before later joining the BJP.

He came into prominence in 2017 after publicly questioning the Congress’s internal election process. He alleged that the process was rigged in favour of Rahul Gandhi for the post of party president.

Poonawalla subsequently left the Congress and joined the BJP, where he became one of the party’s prominent representatives in television debates.

On July 30, he had also changed his bio on X, removing the reference to himself as “BJP National Spokesperson” while retaining his description as a lifelong follower of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com