English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Cricket news

Asian Cricket Council accepts PCB’s hybrid model for Asia Cup 2023, says Asia Cup will be held in Sri Lanka and Pakistan

As per the hybrid model, Lahore will host Pakistan’s opening match against Nepal .Three matches of the other group namely Afghanistan Vs Sri Lanka and Bangladesh Vs Afghanistan will also be played in Lahore

Published

on

Asian Cricket Council accepts PCB’s hybrid model for Asia Cup 2023, says Asia Cup will be held in Sri Lanka and Pakistan

The Asian Cricket Council on Thursday announced that Asia Cup 2023 will take place between August 31 – September 17 in Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The BCCI had refused to play Asia Cup 2023 in Pakistan. The Pakistan Cricket Board had been pushing for the hybrid model, where they get to host the non India matches for the first round of the tournament.

As per the hybrid model, Lahore will host Pakistan’s opening match against Nepal .Three matches of the other group namely Afghanistan Vs Sri Lanka and Bangladesh Vs Afghanistan will also be played in Lahore. The competition will then move to Sri Lanka where two India Vs Pakistan matches will likely happen. The Final of the Asia Cup will also be played in Sri Lanka.

The Pakistan Cricket Board was in a mood of celebration, as this marks the starting of multi nation cricket in Pakistan after a span of fifteen years. The last such event was the Asia Cup hosted by Pakistan in 2008.

PCB Chief, Najam sethi said that he was delighted that the Hybrid model of Asia Cup as proposed by Pakistan had been accepted. This meant Pakistan would host the non India matches of the Asia Cup with Sri Lanka being the neutral venue as the Indian team was unable to travel to Pakistan.

He further added that the people of Pakistan would have been delighted to see the Indian cricket team play in Pakistan but he said the PCB understood BCCI’s position. The BCCI required its governments approval to play in Pakistan. He said he was happy that the hybrid model had been accepted by the ACC as he thought this was the best solution to the problem. He said that the ACC will now stay together and united. He added that the Pakistan had hosted high profile bi-lateral series as well as two immensely successful Pakistan super league events in the past 15 months.

Cricket news

Ajit Agarkar’s future as BCCI chief selector uncertain amid Rohit Sharma ODI controversy, says report

Ajit Agarkar’s position as BCCI chief selector is reportedly under scrutiny, with a report claiming VVS Laxman is being considered as his successor amid the Rohit Sharma ODI controversy.

Published

on

The future of Ajit Agarkar as the chairman of the BCCI’s senior men’s selection committee is reportedly uncertain, with a media report claiming that the board is considering appointing former India batter VVS Laxman as his successor.

According to the report, Agarkar’s tenure as chief selector was originally scheduled to conclude in June 2026. However, he received a three-month extension from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). While another extension until the end of the 2027 ODI World Cup was reportedly expected, recent developments surrounding Rohit Sharma’s ODI future have complicated the situation.

Rohit Sharma’s ODI future reportedly became a key issue

The report states that discussions over Rohit Sharma’s place in India’s ODI setup have emerged as a major factor in the ongoing developments.

It claims that ahead of India’s three-match ODI series against England, there were indications that the series could mark Rohit’s final appearance in the format. The report further alleges that the Agarkar-led selection committee had discussed with the Gautam Gambhir-led team management the possibility of leaving the veteran batter out of future ODI assignments.

However, the situation reportedly changed after speculation emerged that the third ODI at Lord’s would be Rohit’s last match. Rohit responded with a century in that game, a performance that, according to the report, put both the selectors and team management in a difficult position.

BCCI secretary issues clarification on Rohit’s future

Following the speculation, BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia publicly dismissed suggestions that the Lord’s ODI would be Rohit’s final appearance in the format.

“Rohit is a regular member of the Indian ODI team, and he will continue to represent the country as long as he is in the scheme of things. In other words, the Lord’s ODI won’t be his last match,” Saikia told PTI.

The report also claims that some individuals involved in managing the Indian team do not favour Rohit’s participation in the 2027 ODI World Cup, though no official announcement has been made by the BCCI on the matter.

Review meeting yet to take place

According to the report, the BCCI had planned a review meeting after India’s tour of England following the team’s eight defeats in ten matches across the Ireland and England tours.

However, the meeting has reportedly not taken place. The Indian team has since travelled to Sri Lanka for a two-match Test series without the scheduled review being held.

As of now, the BCCI has not officially announced any decision regarding Ajit Agarkar’s tenure as chief selector or any appointment of VVS Laxman as his replacement.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

Vaibhav Sooryavanshi’s record-breaking fifty powers India to seven-wicket win over Zimbabwe

Teenage opener Vaibhav Sooryavanshi smashed a record-breaking 18-ball fifty as India defeated Zimbabwe by seven wickets in the first T20I in Harare to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series.

Published

on

India began their three-match T20I series against Zimbabwe with a commanding seven-wicket victory in Harare on Thursday, thanks to a sensational batting display from teenage opener Vaibhav Sooryavanshi and a disciplined effort from the bowlers.

Chasing a modest target of 126, India reached 126/3 in just 13.2 overs to take a 1-0 lead in the series. The highlight of the match was Sooryavanshi’s blistering half-century, which made him the youngest player to score a T20I fifty.

Sooryavanshi creates history with 18-ball fifty

The 15-year-old left-hander stole the show with a fearless knock of 50 off just 19 deliveries. He raced to his maiden T20I half-century in only 18 balls, smashing four boundaries and four sixes before being dismissed by Richard Ngarava immediately after reaching the landmark.

At 15 years and 118 days, Sooryavanshi became the youngest player to score a T20 International half-century. He also surpassed Sachin Tendulkar’s long-standing record to become the youngest Indian to register an international fifty.

His aggressive strokeplay completely shifted the momentum in India’s favour after the visitors lost an early wicket.

Ishan Kishan and Shreyas Iyer complete comfortable chase

After Abhishek Sharma departed for one, Sooryavanshi and Ishan Kishan put India firmly in control with an attacking partnership.

Kishan continued the momentum with an entertaining 35 off 24 balls, hitting three fours and two sixes before falling to Blessing Muzarabani.

Captain Shreyas Iyer anchored the innings with an unbeaten 28 off 24 deliveries, while Tilak Varma remained unbeaten on five as India comfortably crossed the finish line with seven wickets in hand and 40 balls remaining.

India bowlers restrict Zimbabwe to 125

Earlier, India captain Shreyas Iyer won the toss and opted to bowl first, a decision that paid immediate dividends.

Speedster Mayank Yadav struck with the very first ball of the innings after India successfully reviewed an edge to dismiss Brian Bennett. He later removed Dion Myers to finish with figures of 2/18.

Prince Yadav also impressed, claiming two wickets for 19 runs, including the dismissal of Ben Curran and Brad Evans.

Shivam Dube dismissed Zimbabwe captain Sikandar Raza, while Ravi Bishnoi ended Ryan Burl’s resistance with a well-disguised googly.

Zimbabwe struggled to recover after early setbacks, slipping to 32/4 before Wessly Madhevere and Ryan Burl stitched together a 32-run partnership.

Madhevere top-scored with 39 off 34 balls, while Burl contributed 26. However, India’s disciplined bowling and tight death overs restricted the hosts to 125/7 in their allotted 20 overs.

India take early series advantage

India’s convincing victory gives them a 1-0 lead in the three-match T20I series and provides captain Shreyas Iyer with a winning start to the tour.

While the bowlers laid the platform with an impressive performance, it was Vaibhav Sooryavanshi’s record-breaking innings that stole the spotlight, with the teenager announcing himself on the international stage in spectacular fashion.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India bring in Harsh Dubey after Washington Sundar injury ahead of Lord’s ODI decider

India have drafted Harsh Dubey into the squad for the third ODI against England after Washington Sundar was ruled out with a right hamstring injury.

Published

on

Harsh Dubey

India have made a late change to their squad for the third and final ODI against England after all-rounder Washington Sundar was ruled out with a hamstring injury.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced on Saturday that left-arm spin-bowling all-rounder Harsh Dubey has been added to the squad for the series decider at Lord’s.

Washington Sundar ruled out with hamstring injury

Sundar sustained a right hamstring injury during the second ODI against England at Sophia Gardens in Cardiff. The injury has forced him to miss Sunday’s decisive encounter.

According to the BCCI, the all-rounder will undergo scans and seek specialist medical opinion to determine the next course of treatment.

His absence comes as a setback for India ahead of the final ODI, with the three-match series level after England won the second match.

Harsh Dubey earns another opportunity

Harsh Dubey replaces Sundar in the Indian squad after making his ODI debut against Afghanistan in Dharamshala in June, where he returned figures of 3/47.

The young all-rounder was also part of the India A side that secured a 1-0 red-ball series victory in Sri Lanka. During the tour, he claimed four wickets and contributed scores of 30 and 29 with the bat.

Dubey joins India’s spin department alongside Axar Patel and Kuldeep Yadav for the Lord’s clash.

Zimbabwe assignment after England series

Following the conclusion of the England ODI series, Dubey will travel to Zimbabwe for India’s three-match series beginning on July 23 in Harare. The remaining matches are scheduled for July 25 and July 26 at the Harare Sports Club.

India’s squad for the third ODI

Shubman Gill (Captain), Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer (Vice-Captain), KL Rahul (WK), Ishan Kishan (WK), Axar Patel, Shivam Dube, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Prasidh Krishna, Arshdeep Singh, Gurnoor Brar, Prince Yadav and Harsh Dubey.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com