English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Opposition slams UP govt on Bahraich encounter, says fake encounters conducted to cover up its failures

The Congress leader said, “We have been appealing to restore peace in UP.”

Published

on

The Opposition on Thursday slammed the Uttar Pradesh government on the Bahraich encounter, saying the fake encounters have been conducted by the BJP government for a long time to cover up its failures.

Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav lashed out at the Uttar Pradesh government and the government is doing encounters to cover up their failure.

If encounters had been improving the law and order of the state, UP would have been way ahead of most states, Yadav said. He asked if permission had been taken for the procession, why wasn’t it carried out peacefully? “If they cannot handle such a small event, how can one expect them to safeguard law and order in the state,” he said.

He termed the incident unfortunate and said such incidents should not happen. Yadav said he stands with the families of the victims and will ensure they get justice.

The Samajwadi Party chief said the government is working on the policy of divide and rule, adding that he said the incident has not just happened, it was planned.

Hitting out at Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s government, Congress spokesperson Supriya Shrinate said law and order has collapsed in the state even the ADG of law and order has to walk carrying a weapon even 48 hours after riots, adding it means that law and order have collapsed in BJP-ruled state.

The Congress leader said, “We have been appealing to restore peace in UP.”

On the matter, Uttar Pradesh DGP Prashant Kumar said: “When the Police were taking the five arrested accused for weapons recovery near the India-Nepal border, the two accused tried to run away. As they tried to run away, shots were fired. During this, Mohammed Sarfaraz and Mohammed Talib were injured. Abdul Hameed, Fahim, and Abdul Afzal were arrested. Total five accused arrested.”

Earlier today, the UP Police shot two accused while they were allegedly trying to escape to Nepal. The injured accused, identified as Sarfaraz and Talib.

In a statement, the UP government said: “When the police team went to recover the weapon used in the murder based on the information given by the first two, they opened fire on the police with the weapons kept there. Both of them got shot in the retaliatory fire.”

Violence erupted in Bahraich on October 13 when 22-year-old Ram Gopal Mishra was shot dead during a Durga idol immersion procession. Following Mishra’s death, angry mobs set fire to several shops and vehicles.

Today, internet services were restored in Bahraich as local authorities continued their efforts to restore normalcy in and around Maharajganj.

India News

Women’s Reservation Bill: Kiren Rijiju Takes Swipe At Rahul Gandhi’s Video

Kiren Rijiju called Rahul Gandhi’s women empowerment message positive but questioned whether it reflected a “change of heart” in Congress.

Published

on

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Saturday took a swipe at Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi over his recent message on women’s freedom and empowerment, linking the Congress leader’s remarks to the long-pending debate over the Women’s Reservation Bill.

Rahul Gandhi, in a video posted on Instagram on Friday, spoke about the need to bring women “back into the conversation” and allow them to pursue what they want.

Responding to the video, Kiren Rijiju described the message as positive but suggested that it reflected a “change of heart” within the Congress.

Kiren Rijiju links Rahul Gandhi’s message to women’s quota

“Now, I hope Congress Party will support the Women’s Reservation Bill unconditionally,” Rijiju posted on X while reacting to Gandhi’s video.

Rijiju said Gandhi’s remarks appeared to represent a change in the Congress leader’s position on women.

“This seems to be a positive message from the Congress Party. There’s a visible change of heart in Shri Rahul Gandhi Ji about the Women,” the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said in his post.

He then used the opportunity to raise the issue of the Women’s Reservation Bill and urged the Congress to support it without conditions.

Congress, Centre differ over delimitation and women’s quota

The exchange comes against the backdrop of differences between the Congress and the Centre over the proposed delimitation exercise and its connection with the implementation of women’s reservation.

Congress and other opposition parties have been opposing the government’s proposed delimitation legislation and have called for the 33 per cent reservation for women to be implemented based on the current strength of Parliament.

The government has been seeking to increase the number of seats in Parliament and state Assemblies as part of the process for implementing the women’s quota. The 33 per cent reservation for women had earlier been passed unanimously by Parliament.

What Rahul Gandhi said about women’s freedom

Rahul Gandhi’s Friday Instagram video followed his response during a Thursday “Ask Me Anything” session, in which he was asked about young women fighting for their right to study.

Gandhi had said that “India’s women are our strength, our biggest asset” and expressed dissatisfaction with the way women are treated in the country, including in education and corporate systems.

In his subsequent video, Gandhi said the energy of Indian women was being restricted and that they were not always allowed to express themselves or imagine freely.

He argued that India could not fully succeed without women being able to express themselves.

Gandhi said women’s empowerment should not be limited to succeeding in business or politics. According to him, women should also be able to express their views at home and move freely on the streets.

He further spoke about women being able to question their parents, husbands, brothers and others, arguing that greater freedom from patriarchy and rigid control was necessary for India’s development.

The remarks subsequently drew Rijiju’s response, with the minister connecting Gandhi’s message on women’s empowerment to the political debate over the Women’s Reservation Bill.

Continue Reading

India News

Atiq Ahmed’s son Aban Ahmed killed in Jhansi crash, survivor says SUV was speeding

Aban Ahmed, the youngest son of Atiq Ahmed, and his friend were killed after their SUV crashed into a road divider in Jhansi. Police have launched an investigation into the accident.

Published

on

Gangster Atiq Ahmed

Aban Ahmed, the youngest son of slain gangster-turned-politician Atiq Ahmed, was killed along with his friend in a road accident in Uttar Pradesh’s Jhansi district on Thursday after the SUV they were travelling in crashed into a divider.

Police said the second victim has been identified as 25-year-old Sonu, son of Raja. Three other occupants of the vehicle sustained injuries and were later shifted to Prayagraj for further treatment at the request of their families.

SUV crashed while travelling to Jhansi

According to police, 20-year-old Aban Ahmed, a resident of Prayagraj, was travelling to Jhansi to meet his two brothers, who are lodged in separate jails in the district. The accident occurred around 10.30 am on the Kanpur-Jhansi Road in the Poonch area.

Superintendent of Police (Rural) Arvind Kumar said the vehicle involved was a Hyundai Creta bearing registration number UP 70 FW 2432.

The injured have been identified as Azam (28), Mohammad Javed (30), and Mohammad Umar (24), all residents of Prayagraj.

Survivor says vehicle was moving at high speed

One of the injured passengers, Mohammad Umar, said the SUV was travelling at a high speed before the driver lost control.

“The car was travelling at a high speed, and the driver lost control,” Umar told reporters while receiving treatment.

Senior Superintendent of Police BBGTS Murthy said the preliminary investigation also indicates that the SUV was speeding. He added that one of the injured passengers informed police that the vehicle became uncontrollable before hitting the road divider.

Police examining CCTV footage

Police have launched an investigation into the accident and are reviewing CCTV footage from cameras installed along the national highway.

Officials are also examining whether the driver lost control after an animal suddenly came in front of the vehicle. However, police said no conclusion has been reached and the investigation is continuing.

Bodies taken to Prayagraj

After a post-mortem examination conducted by a panel of three doctors at Jhansi Medical College, the bodies of Aban Ahmed and Sonu were taken to Prayagraj late Thursday night for the last rites.

Circle Officer (City) Ramveer Singh said the injured were shifted by ambulance around 9.30 pm for further treatment in Prayagraj, while the bodies were transported shortly before midnight.

Speaking to reporters in Jhansi, Aban’s twin brother Ahjam appealed to authorities to allow their jailed brothers to attend the funeral.

Aban Ahmed was Atiq Ahmed’s youngest son

Aban Ahmed was the youngest of Atiq Ahmed’s five sons and the twin brother of Ahjam. His brothers Umar and Ali are currently lodged in separate jails in Uttar Pradesh.

Another brother, Asad Ahmed, who was wanted in the Umesh Pal murder case, was killed in a police encounter near Jhansi in April 2023.

Atiq Ahmed and his brother Ashraf were shot dead on April 15, 2023, while being escorted by police for a medical examination in Prayagraj. His wife, Shaista Parveen, remains absconding in connection with the Umesh Pal murder case, according to police.

Continue Reading

India News

Rahul Gandhi backs Ranchi student protesters, says every government must hear students

Rahul Gandhi has backed students protesting in Ranchi over alleged recruitment exam irregularities, urging every government to listen to students and reform the education system.

Published

on

Rahul-Gandhi

The Congress on Thursday extended its support to students protesting in Ranchi against alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, with Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi saying that every government should listen to students’ concerns and work towards reforming the education system.

The party, which is part of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM)-led government in the state, also said it would continue working to ensure students receive justice.

Rahul Gandhi calls for education reforms

During an interactive ‘Ask Me Anything’ session on Instagram, Rahul Gandhi was asked to support the ongoing student protest in Jharkhand.

Responding to the request, Gandhi said the student movements taking place across the country reflect growing dissatisfaction with the education system. He described the current system as unaffordable and oppressive, adding that meaningful reforms are needed.

He further said that every government—whether at the Centre, in Jharkhand, or a Congress-led state—must listen to students and take steps to improve the education system.

Congress says it stands with students

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge said the party would support students irrespective of which party is in power. He said Congress leaders would raise the matter with the Jharkhand government and seek answers on the concerns raised by students.

Earlier in the day, AICC Jharkhand in-charge K. Raju and state Congress leaders met Chief Minister Hemant Soren and submitted a memorandum highlighting the students’ demands.

Raju later said the delegation appreciated the chief minister’s decision to constitute a ministerial committee to consult with the protesting students and recommend practical solutions.

He also reiterated that the Jharkhand Congress, along with the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) and the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), stands firmly with the agitating students.

Protest enters 13th day

The protest over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) recruitment examinations entered its 13th day on Thursday.

Six protesters continued their hunger strike, while students and job aspirants formed an 11-member delegation to hold discussions with the government.

The agitation began on July 25 under the banner of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi and has emerged as one of the state’s largest student-led movements in recent years.

The protesters are demanding cancellation of the 14th Jharkhand Public Service Commission Civil Services Examination and an independent investigation into the alleged irregularities by either the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) or a panel of retired high court judges from outside Jharkhand.

Hemant Soren assures action

A day before the proposed talks, Chief Minister Hemant Soren said his government’s doors were open for discussions with the students.

In a post on X, Soren said the concerns raised by the students were being taken seriously and that investigative agencies were working continuously to identify those responsible for the alleged irregularities.

He said the government’s objective was not only to investigate the matter but also to provide a long-term solution to students’ concerns. Soren assured that every demand and suggestion would be carefully examined before announcing concrete measures.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com