English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Indian Army crosses LoC in PoK, kills three Pakistani soldiers

Published

on

Indian Army crosses LoC in PoK, kills three Pakistani soldiers

The action came in response to Pak’s Saturday’s ceasefire violation claiming lives of three soldiers and a Major.

Days after Pakistani troops opened fire on an Indian Army patrol along the LoC in the Keri sector of Jammu and Kashmir, the Indian armed forces hit back at Pakistan overnight Monday – claiming the lives of three soldier’s of the neighboring country.

Reportedly, Indian armed forces crossed the Line of Control (LoC) in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) to Rakhchikri in the Rawlakot sector and carried out the attack – which is very similar to last year’s surgical strikes. The Indian Army action came in response to the unprovoked and indiscriminate shelling and firing in Keri sector by Pakistani troops on Saturday – which claimed the lives of three soldiers and a Major.

Amid escalating tension along LoC and International Border (IB) in Kashmir, there had been several instances of cross-border firing and ceasefire violations in recent days. According to Indian Army officials, the Pakistani troops have violated ceasefire 881 times this year – including 771 violations along the LoC in Kashmir and 110 violations along the IB. In 2016, the border area at Kashmir witnessed 449 ceasefire violations – killing 13 civilians and 13 security personnel.

On the other hand, Pakistan claimed that the recent attack on their troop was an “unprovoked ceasefire violation”. According to Pakistani newspaper Dawn, Indian armed forces have breached ceasefire agreement more than 1300 times this year – claiming the lives of 52 civilians and leaving behind at least 175 more with serious injuries.

J&K police neutralizes ‘merchant of death’ Noor Mohammed Tantray

In a separate counter-insurgency operation at Samboora area in Pulwama sector of Jammu-Kashmir, the police neutralized wanted Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist Noor Mohammed Tantray. The terror mastermind – who was out on parole since 2015 – was one of the key operative of the terror outfit and was the brain behind several attacks in the valley, including the suicide attack at Srinagar airport earlier this year.

Stating that the police action came following a tip-off suggesting the presence of two militants in the area, Muneer Khan, inspector general of police, J&K, said, “We came to know of presence of a Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorist who was the mastermind of all attacks carried out by the terror outfit. Encounter continued till early morning, JeM terrorist was killed and one AK-56, pistol and magazines were recovered.”

Tantray, the 47-year-old JeM divisional terrorist was a four feet two inches tall militant, who also walked with a limp and had become a major headache for the security forces in the valley. Having spent eight years in Delhi’s  Tihar jail, the Jaish militant rejoined militancy in 2015 and escalated terror activities since then. He was also a close aide of Ghazi Baba – who is accused to be the mastermind of 2001 attack on Parliament.

A senior official of the J&K police – who was part of the operation – said, “We had missed him only by few minutes in the past and I was sure he would run out of luck soon as his height was his biggest disadvantage. With each passing day, the search narrowed.”

India News

BJP unveils 64-member national team with 3 former CMs, 18 MPs and 10 women

The BJP’s new 64-member national team includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women, with representation from 23 states and Union Territories.

Published

on

The BJP’s new 64-member team of national office bearers brings together former chief ministers, sitting MPs, women leaders and representatives from different social and regional groups as the party prepares for the 2029 Lok Sabha election.

The team, headed by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women leaders. More than 40 per cent of the members belong to deprived communities, according to the details of the appointments.

Northeast gets special focus

The new organisational team includes leaders from 23 states and Union Territories, giving the party’s national leadership a broad geographical representation.

The Northeast has received particular attention, with three leaders from Tripura, Assam and Nagaland included in the team. The BJP’s North-East Coordination Cell will also continue to function under the leadership of Sambit Patra.

The team includes four tribal representatives, with one each from West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and the Northeast. Two of these representatives are women.

Three members from Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh represent the Scheduled Castes in the new team.

Representation across communities

The BJP’s national office bearers also include 10 experienced women leaders from different parts of the country.

The team has representation from different religious communities, including one Sikh, two Christians, one Muslim, one Jain and one Parsi member, alongside Hindu leaders.

Former chief ministers and MPs add experience

The organisational team brings considerable administrative and political experience, with former Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat and former Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb among the members.

Four leaders with previous experience in the Union government and one sitting Union minister are also part of the team.

The new national office bearers include 18 sitting Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members, bringing legislative experience and their connection with constituencies to the organisation.

Professionals and younger leaders add to the team

The team also brings together people from varied professional and academic backgrounds. It includes two professors, four practising doctors, as well as PhD holders, engineers, chartered accountants and lawyers.

The appointments to various Morchas are expected to bring organisational experience, fresh energy and domain expertise to the BJP’s national team.

Continue Reading

India News

Air India drug test row: 2 more pilots fail preliminary screening

Two more Air India pilots have not cleared preliminary drug tests and have been de-rostered while their final test results are awaited, sources said.

Published

on

Two more Air India pilots have not cleared the preliminary stage of drug testing ordered by the airline following the Phuket-Delhi flight incident. Their final test results are awaited, and both pilots have been de-rostered in the meantime, sources said.

The airline had directed its pilots to undergo drug testing as part of a new standard operating procedure after the pilot-in-command of the Phuket-Delhi flight failed two urine tests conducted after the aircraft landed. Marijuana was detected in his system.

More than 300 Air India pilots have undergone the testing process so far. Sources said final drug-test results generally take around 24 to 48 hours.

A cabin crew member on the Phuket-Delhi flight was also believed to have filed a complaint alleging that the pilot had previously smoked “pot”.

What happened on the Phuket-Delhi flight

The incident involved an Airbus A320neo that experienced a sudden drop of around 300 feet. The aircraft’s system data indicated a simultaneous loss of control of key flight surfaces, including the elevators and ailerons, for about four seconds.

The spoilers also lost control following the same hydraulic failure.

During the four-second period, the aircraft’s elevators and ailerons moved without pilot commands after multiple failures involving the jet’s three hydraulic systems.

The elevators control the aircraft’s pitch, while ailerons help control its roll. Spoilers reduce lift and increase drag, including during descent and landing.

Air India’s earlier statement on drug testing

The incident was initially reported as being linked to turbulence, before aircraft system data provided further information about what had occurred.

Air India had said it conducts regular drug testing of crew members in accordance with civil aviation regulations. The airline said the testing was part of its existing compliance process and was not initiated specifically because of the Phuket-Delhi flight incident.

Continue Reading

India News

Assam floods: Nearly 97,000 families receive Rs. 15,000 aid, more relief in pipeline

Assam has provided Rs. 15,000 each to 96,842 flood-affected families, while a detailed survey is underway to assess damage and determine further compensation.

Published

on

Assam floods

Assam has provided one-time financial assistance of Rs. 15,000 each to 96,842 flood-affected families, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Monday as the state began a detailed assessment of damage caused by the floods.

Sarma announced the figures at a press conference at the Media Hall of Lok Sewa Bhawan in Dispur after financial assistance was released to another 31,991 families across four affected districts.

The state government has spent Rs. 146.26 crore on the assistance distributed so far. Sarma said the beneficiary list was still being prepared and around 3,000 additional families could receive assistance in the next phase.

“We want the affected families to have some cash in hand when they return home after the flood. This assistance is meant to help them settle back and meet their immediate needs,” Sarma said.

Assam begins detailed flood damage assessment

The state government has now shifted its focus to assessing the extent of the damage caused by the floods. A rapid survey is being conducted across affected areas with the assistance of 1,144 teachers.

Preliminary findings show that 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged. Losses involving handloom-related raw materials have also been reported.

The assessment has so far covered around 5.98 lakh pets and domestic animals. Meanwhile, the survey of agricultural and fisheries losses is still underway.

Officials have identified 99,256 farmers who have suffered crop or other agriculture-related losses.

Sarma said the first phase of the survey is expected to be completed by August 28 or 29. The findings will subsequently be uploaded to a web portal, where affected residents will be able to check the information recorded against their names.

The portal will also allow people to raise objections if they have been excluded from the beneficiary list or if the damage recorded does not reflect their actual losses.

Second verification round planned in September

The government plans to begin a second round of verification around September 1 or 2. The process is expected to continue until September 10 or 11, with the revised list likely to be made public around September 15 or 16.

Sarma said unresolved complaints could lead to another field verification.

“If there is a complaint for the third consecutive time, we are ready to conduct a third survey. Our aim is to complete the survey and provide financial assistance by October 9 or 10,” he said.

If another verification round is not required, the government expects to complete the process by the end of September, he added.

The damage recorded on the assessment portal has so far been estimated at around Rs. 480 crore for houses and other properties. The figure, however, is expected to change as the survey progresses.

Rehabilitation plans for worst-hit areas

The Assam government is also considering longer-term rehabilitation measures for some of the worst-affected areas in Sivasagar and Charaideo.

Sarma said the state government had discussed the possibility of providing houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana to eligible families in the two districts with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“We are trying not just to provide immediate relief but to give a strong and lasting solution to the affected people,” Sarma said.

Restoration work has begun at several damaged schools, roads, naamghars and health facilities. Health and veterinary teams are also continuing camps in flood-affected areas.

Ex-gratia, loan moratorium and insurance claims

The government is separately working on ex-gratia payments of Rs. 9 lakh to the next of kin of people who died in the floods, Sarma said.

On financial relief for borrowers, he said 1,712 affected people had so far applied for a moratorium on bank loans. Eligible borrowers have been asked to submit their applications by August 31.

“There are still many people who have not applied for the moratorium. I appeal to all affected people who are eligible to apply before August 31,” he said.

Insurance claims are also being processed. According to the Chief Minister, 1,598 claims have been received so far, of which 170 have already been settled and the payments released.

Sarma urged flood-affected people with insurance coverage to approach their respective insurance companies and submit claims for losses suffered during the floods.

The immediate priority, according to the Chief Minister, is to complete the damage assessment, give affected people an opportunity to challenge the findings and finish the compensation process for eligible families.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com