English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Advocate files complaint against BBC for PM Modi Gujarat documentary

Published

on

A Supreme Court Advocate, Friday, filed a police complaint against the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) over the broadcaster’s controversial documentary on the infamous 2002 Gujarat riots.

The contentious documentary, titled ‘India: The Modi Question’ which questions PM Modi’s leadership as the state CM during the 2002 Gujarat riots, has been dubbed as “a piece of propaganda” and “colonial mindset” by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).

Taking to Twitter, Vineet Jindal, a Supreme Court advocate and social activist, called the documentary a conspiracy by BBC News to “incite Muslims” against the Hindus in India as well as across the globe.

While demanding action against the UK broadcaster, Jindal stressed that Narendra Modi is a constitutionally chosen Prime Minister of India.

The advocate said that he has filed a complaint against the BBC under sections 121,153,153A &B, 295,298, and 505 of IPC, for “attacking the integrity of the country.”

On Thursday, the controversial piece was dubbed as “a piece of propaganda” by the MEA.

MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said the government believes it is a propaganda piece designed to “push a particular discredited narrative.”

He said that the documentary lacked objectivity and the bias and colonial mindset of the makers was clearly visible, adding that the Indian government will not dignify such efforts.

Pakistan-origin British MP, Imran Hussain, raised the topic in the UK parliament on Thursday. However, it was shot down by British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

The British PM said he does not agree with the characterization of his Indian counterpart.

Over 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed in violent riots in 2002 in Gujarat, following the burning of a train carrying Hindu pilgrims in Godhra.

India News

MCD Mayor election to be held on February 6, LG approves new date

Due to the clash between the councillors of Aam Aadmi Party and of the BJP, the elections were adjourned twice

Published

on

MCD Mayor election

The new date for the election of the Mayor of Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) has been declared.

The elections for MCD Mayor will be held on February 6. Apart from this, elections for deputy mayor and 6 standing committee members are also to be held.

Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Vinay Saxena has approved the new date for the mayor’s election. Earlier, Delhi’s Arvind Kejriwal government had sent a proposal for a new date for the mayor’s election to LG Vinay Saxena.

The Delhi government had sent a proposal to hold the mayoral elections on February 3, 4 or 6. However, the SMD had sent a proposal to the Delhi government to hold elections on February 10. After this, LG has now fixed the date of MCD Mayor election on February 6.

Mayor’s election could not be held on January 6 and 24

Significantly, the first meeting of the newly elected House of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi was held on January 6. During this, due to the clash between the councillors of Aam Aadmi Party and of the BJP, the elections of mayor, deputy mayor of six members of standing committee could not be held and the proceedings of the house were adjourned. After this, a meeting was held again on January 24 and due to the uproar, once again the election for the Mayor post was postponed. Apart from 250 councillors, Delhi’s 14 MLAs and 10 MPs will vote in the mayoral election.

Read Also: Hindenburg fallout: Gautam Adani no longer Asia’s richest, drops to number 15 on Forbes rich list

Aam Aadmi Party had won the MCD elections

Notably, the elections for the Municipal Corporation of Delhi were held on December 4 last year and the results were declared on December 7. The Aam Aadmi Party won 134 seats in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, while the BJP was successful in winning 104 wards. After this BJP was out of power of MCD after 15 years.

Kerala journalist Siddique Kappan granted bail by Lucknow Sessions Judge

Indian-American Republican Nikki Haley poised to launch 2024 US Presidential bid

Continue Reading

India News

Kerala journalist Siddique Kappan granted bail by Lucknow Sessions Judge

Kappan and 3 others were detained at the Mathura toll plaza in Uttar Pradesh while en route to cover up a gang rape and the murder of a Dalit woman in Hathras

Published

on

Kerala journalist Siddique Kappan

Kerala-based journalist Siddique Kappan, who was scheduled to be released on Tuesday after two years in jail in a money laundering case, was granted bail by the Sessions Judge, Lucknow on Wednesday.

Since December 21, 2021, he has been awaiting trial after being charged under the UAPA and later in a PMLA case.

Kappan’s attorney claims that there was a delay in authenticating the two sureties for one lakh rupees that he was required to submit before being granted bail. The sureties could not, however, be submitted in court after being vetted on Tuesday due to the lawyers’ strike.

On December 23, the top court granted Kappan bail. His two one-lakh sureties were unable to be authenticated in a timely manner, according to his attorney Ishan Baghel.

Now that both sureties have been confirmed, they were unable to be presented in court today due to a boycott by district court attorneys. When the court resumes its proceedings, he will be discharged, Baghel said.

The FIR that Lucknow police had lodged earlier this month against two lawyers in an accident case prompted the strike on Tuesday. On October 5, 2020, Kappan and three other people were detained at the Mathura toll plaza in Uttar Pradesh while en route to cover up a gang rape and the murder of a Dalit woman in Hathras town.

Read Also: Several steps taken in Union Budget 2023 to empower middle class: PM Modi

The accused, according to the police, were aiming to undermine local law and order and were active members of the Popular Front of India (PFI), a group that has since been outlawed.

Cases under The Indian Penal Code (IPC), the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, and the Information Technology (IT) Act were filed against the journalist. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) later arrested him in connection with the PMLA case.

In connection with the Hathras case, the Supreme Court granted Siddique bail in September. But due to ED’s money laundering case, he remained behind bars.

On December 23, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad high court granted Kappan bail after observing that the ED’s investigation had not specifically linked Kappan to the case involving the alleged illegal transfer of $1.36 million, purportedly obtained by PFI, in order to foment terrorism in the nation.

Budget 2023: Defence budget hiked by 12.95 percent to Rs 5.94 lakh crore

Budget 2023: Adequate funds allocated for replacing old government vehicles, says Nirmala Sitharaman

Continue Reading

India News

Budget 2023: Amid exemption in income tax, picture of 31-year-old tax slab goes viral | WATCH

In the general budget presented today, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced a big relief for taxpayers and has kept income up to 7 lakhs out of tax

Published

on

Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman

Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has presented the general budget for 2023-24. This time the Finance Minister presented the budget for the 5th time. The common man has been taken full care of in this budget. Big relief has been given to the biggest taxpayers by giving exemption in the tax slab. Now no tax will have to be paid on income up to Rs 7 lakh. Taxpayers will be given this exemption under the new tax system.

In the midst of great relief to the taxpayers, a picture is going viral on social media. This picture is of the tax slabs released during the 1992 budget. The change in tax slabs in 1992 and today can be gauged from this picture.

Watch the viral photo here:

Photo of 1992 tax slab

PV Narasimha Rao’s government in 1992 is called the father of liberalisation in the country. Manmohan Singh, who was the Finance Minister in Rao’s government, presented the budget, which opened the way for economic reforms in the country. In this budget, the tax slab was divided into three parts.

Read Also: Budget 2023: Nirmala Sitharaman outlines 7 priorities, calls them saptarishis

What was tax slab in 1992?

Now, let’s talk about the picture which is in discussion. In this picture shared by a Twitter handle, information about the tax slab of 1992 has been given. Its caption reads New Income Tax Slab in the 1992 Budget. No tax up to Rs 28,000. 20 per cent tax from Rs 28001 to Rs 50000. 30 per cent tax from Rs 5,0001 to Rs 1,0000. 40 per cent income tax on income above Rs 1 lakh. Along with this, a photo of Indian Express has also been shared.

This tweet has gone viral. Till now hundreds of users have liked this picture. A user wondered what will be the tax on 10 lakhs.

What is the tax slab today?

In the general budget presented on February 1, 2023, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced a big relief for taxpayers and has kept income up to 7 lakhs out of tax. Under the new income tax slab, taxpayers will not have to pay any tax on income between 0 to 3 lakh rupees. 5 per cent for Rs 3 to 6 lakh, 10 per cent for Rs 6 to 9 lakh, 15 per cent for Rs 9 lakh to 12 lakh, 20 per cent for Rs 12 to Rs 15 lakh and 30 per cent for income above Rs 15 lakh . It is obvious that compared to today’s budget of 1992, the exemption for tax at that time was very less.

Budget 2023: Middle class woes memes flock the social media platforms

Budget 2023: No tax on income up to Rs 7 lakh, revised tax slabs for new regime

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com