A Kerala court on Monday held S Kiran Kumar guilty of the dowry death of his wife, Kiran Kumar Vismaya, by an extra session court in Kollam district on Monday.
The court has convicted Kiran of dowry death, dowry harassment, abetment to suicide, intentionally causing harm, and criminal intimidation under sections 304B, 498A, 306, 323, and 506 of the Indian Penal Code, respectively. According to the special public prosecutor (SPP), the court examined 42 witnesses, 102 documents, and multiple phone records during the trial.
What is Vismaya Dowry Case?
Kumar married Vismaya, an Ayurveda student, on May 30, 2020. During the marriage, her parents reportedly gave her a one-acre plot of land, gold jewellery worth over 100 sovereigns, and a luxury car. Kumar, on the other hand, did not like the car and demanded Rs 10 lakh in cash. Vismaya’s father said Kumar used to torture his daughter because he was told it was impossible to give him cash.
Vismaya told her parents about Kumar’s harassment within a few weeks of the wedding. According to the reports, Kumar used to torture her daily, and because of this, one day she decided to end her life. On June 21, 2021, Vismaya, 22, was found dead in her husband’s house in Sasthamkotta, Kollam district.
Vismaya had sent WhatsApp messages to her relatives the day before the incident, detailing Kumar’s alleged dowry harassment, as well as photos of her scars and bruises. Some of the audio and text communications she sent turned out to be critical evidence in the case.
Evidence in Vismaya Dowry Case
Vismaya had sent her cousin some WhatsApp messages in 2021, days before her death, in which she described how she had been exposed to serious assault. Her husband allegedly dragged back her hair and stamped on her face after abusing her, she wrote. In the message, she claims she hasn’t told anyone about the incident. Her face, shoulder, and hands were all injured in the photos she shared with her cousin. This was also one of the main pieces of evidence presented in court during the trial.
Waheeda Rehman to be honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award
Anurag Thakur further noted that at the time when the Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam has been passed by the Parliament, Waheeda Rehman being awarded with the lifetime achievement award is a fitting tribute to one of the leading ladies of Indian Cinema.
Indian actor Waheeda Rehman will be honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award for her stellar contribution to Indian cinema. She is regarded as one of the finest actors of Indian cinema. The actor worked in more than 90 films, in a career spanning over five decades. Earlier, she was honoured with Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1972. She also received Padma Bhushan in 2011.
Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Anurag Thakur announced that Waheeda Rehman is being bestowed with the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award this year for her stellar contribution to Indian Cinema. He added that Waheeda Rehman has been critically acclaimed for her roles in Hindi films, prominently Pyaasa, Kaagaz ke Phool, Chaudhavi Ka Chand, Saheb Biwai Aur Ghulam, Guide, Khamoshi and several others.
The Minister mentioned that the actor in her career spanning more than five decades has essayed her roles with extreme fitness, leading to a National Film Award for her role as a clanswoman in the film Reshma, Shera. He continued that Waheeda Rehman has exemplified dedication, commitment and the strength of Bharatiya Nari who can achieve the highest level of professional excellence with her hardwork.
Anurag Thakur further noted that at the time when the historic Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam (Women’s Reservation Bill) has been passed by the Parliament, Waheeda Rehman being awarded with the lifetime achievement award is a fitting tribute to one of the leading ladies of Indian Cinema. He added that the actor has dedicated her life after films to Philanthropy and the greater good of society.
The Dadasaheb Phalke Award is the country’s highest award in the field of cinema. It is bestowed annually at the National Film Awards ceremony by the Directorate of Film Festivals, an organisation which was established by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. The recipient is honoured for their remarkable contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
Cauvery water dispute: Bengaluru bandh evokes partial response as public services function normally
Though cab services, autos and hotels, restaurants were seen operating, drivers and hotel operators asserted not many people were coming out to utilise the services.
The Bengaluru bandh summoned by farmers and Kannada organisations on Tuesday and supported by the BJP and JD(S) in protest against the release of Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu evoked partial response as most of the public services were functioning normally. However, very few people ventured out in the streets.
Though cab services, autos and hotels, restaurants were seen operating, drivers and hotel operators asserted not many people were coming out to utilise the services. In Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) buses and Metro rail services, the usual rush was not seen. In addition, Ola-Uber Drivers Association and Hotel Owners Association have said that their services will be normal today.
On the other hand, Bengaluru Urban district Deputy Commissioner Dayananda K A has declared a holiday for all schools and colleges in the city on Tuesday, in wake of the bandh. Several private companies and firms, including those in the IT sector have asked their employees to work from home. Some shopping malls in the city have decided to remain shut. Many shops and establishments were also seen not functioning as usual in the morning hours.
Karnataka Jala Samrakshana Samiti, which is an umbrella outfit of farmers’ associations and other organisations headed by farmer leader Kuruburu Shanthakumar, has given the call for today’s dawn-to-dusk (6 am to 6 pm) Bengaluru shutdown. Shanthakumar and other leaders of the Karnataka Jala Samrakshana Samiti were arrested by the police at the Mysuru Bank circle, as they were trying to hold a protest march towards Town Hall.
In addition, multiple activists of Kannada organisations were also whisked away by the police at Town Hall, as they gathered there to demonstrate a protest. Farmers’ leaders and Kannada activists slammed the government for allegedly using police force to curtail the protests and bandh. Farmers and pro-Kannada organisations are further expected to stage a protest at the Freedom Park, which is a designated place for such demonstrations.
According to reports, city police have taken adequate security measures to respond to any violence that may happen during the protests. Nearly 100 platoons have been deployed. Bengaluru Police Commissioner B Dayananda stated that prohibitory orders under Section 144 are in place across the city from midnight on Monday to midnight on Tuesday in the view of the bandh.
According to existing restrictions and court orders, there is no permission for any bandh or procession in the city, he added. On the other hand, a Karnataka bandh, a state-wide shutdown, was called on September 29 by Kannada Okkuta, an umbrella organisation for Kannada organisations, led by Kannada activist Vatal Nagaraj. They are not supporting today’s bandh.
Manipur violence: Photos showing bodies of two missing students surface online, government says case handed over to CBI
The government also assured the public that swift and decisive action will be taken against all those involved in the kidnapping and killing of the students
In another harrowing incident, photos of the bodies of a man apparently decapitated and a girl who had been missing since July, surfaced online after a ban on mobile internet was lifted in violence-hit northeastern state Manipur over the weekend.
Issuing a statement, Manipur chief minister’s secretariat affirmed that the photos were of Phijam Hemjit (20) and Hijam Linthoinggambi (17), both belonging to the Meitei community from Imphal. The statement added that they had gone missing on July 6 and remained untraced even as security agencies initiated search operations for them and locals took to the street seeking their whereabouts.
According to reports, a photo of the two students showed them sitting on the ground that appears to be a forest with two armed men in the background. Another photo showed them lying on the ground apparently after being gunned down. Reports further state that the head of the man appeared to be missing. The photos were taken on July 8, two days after the two students went missing.
The statement issued by the state government read that it may be noted that this case has already been handed over to the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation), as per the wishes of the people of the state. It mentioned that the police and central security agencies were investigating the case and search operations was carried out to nab those who murdered the two students.
In addition, the government also assured the public that swift and decisive action will be taken against all those involved in the kidnapping and killing of Phijam Hemjit and Hijam Linthoingambi.
The statement underlined that the government was committed to ensuring justice for the murdered students and severe punishment on any perpetrators found responsible for this heinous crime. It further urged the public to exercise restraint and let the authorities handle the ongoing investigation.