English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Cricket news

T20 World Cup 2021: Varun Chakravarthy set to miss T20 World Cup due to injury

Varun Chakravarthy might miss the upcoming T20 World Cup, due to knee injury. Yuzvendra Chahal is expected to replace him, if Varun fails to recover in given time.

Published

on

Fitness issues have once again popped in front of team India and IPL franchise Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). Off-spinner Varun Chakravarthy, who was in the 15-member national squad for the much-awaited 2021 ICC T20 World Cup, has serious pain in his knees. He is currently part of KKR in the ongoing UAE leg of the IPL 2021.

According to a BBCI source, Chakravarthy’s knees are not in the greatest condition that he has got problems in his knees. BCCI’s hopes to get him back into good shape as soon as possible, otherwise the selectors have the provision of making changes to the UAE-bound squad till October 10.

Currently, his conditions are being monitored by KKR support staffs.

“As far as I know, the KKR’s support staffs have prepared an elaborate strength and conditioning chart for Varun, which is a part of his larger injury management program. He also is administered pain killer injections so that he can bowl his four overs without much difficulty. These are injections, till the time effect remains it helps the pain to subside. You can’t see it on TV, he looks in pain when he is not bowling and moving around the field,” Said a BCCI source to PTI.

also read IPL 2021: 4 apps to watch IPL for free

Varun has been in great form in the IPL 2021, as he has picked 15 wickets in 13 matches with an economy of only 6.73. He has been one of the most important players for KKR this season. Looking at his form KKR as well as Indian team can’t afford to lose a player of his calibre.

Read Also: RCB vs SRH: Bangalore to face bottom placed Hyderabad, eye for top-two finish

Royal Challengers Bangalore spinner Yuzvendra Chahal is likely to replace him, in case he fails to recover in the given time. Chahal has picked 14 wickets in 12 IPL matches this season and has been a crucial part of his team’s success.

Cricket news

Shadab Khan lands in trouble after ‘we’ve beaten India’ remark, PCB issues warning: Report

Shadab Khan has reportedly been advised by the PCB to mind his language after his remarks on former players following Pakistan’s loss to India stirred controversy.

Published

on

pakistan cricket team

Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan has reportedly been cautioned by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after his remarks about former cricketers triggered controversy during the ongoing ICC T20 World Cup.

The issue surfaced after Pakistan suffered a 61-run defeat to India earlier in the tournament. Speaking to the media later, Shadab responded to criticism from former players and said that while they were legends, they “could not do what we have done,” referring to Pakistan’s win over India in the 2021 T20 World Cup.

PCB conveys displeasure over comments

According to reports, the PCB expressed its dissatisfaction with Shadab’s post-match comments and advised him to be mindful of his language during media interactions. Team manager Naveed Cheema reportedly conveyed the board’s concerns to the all-rounder.

Sources were quoted as saying that Shadab had crossed the line during the press conference and was reminded to show respect to former cricketers, including his father-in-law, former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq.

The board has also reportedly instructed the team management to ensure that players limit their comments strictly to match-related matters. It is understood that further action could follow if similar instances occur.

Remarks came after Namibia match

Shadab’s statement came after Pakistan’s 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo, where he scored 36 off 22 balls and returned figures of 3 for 13. The comments were seen as a response to criticism directed at the current squad following their defeat to India.

Former wicketkeeper-batter Kamran Akmal described Shadab’s remarks as unnecessary, saying such words against former players warranted caution.

Media interactions under tighter control

The Pakistan team management has reportedly adopted a cautious approach regarding player interactions with the media. No players were made available for two days prior to the high-profile India clash.

In a separate instance, when Usman Tariq appeared for a pre-match interaction ahead of the Namibia fixture, the team’s media manager intervened to prevent him from responding to a tactical question. The manager stated that head coach Mike Hesson had already addressed the matter after the India match.

Pakistan are scheduled to face New Zealand in their first Super Eight fixture in Colombo on Saturday, followed by matches against England and Sri Lanka in Pallekele later in the tournament.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

Ian Healy lashes out at Australia after T20 World Cup 2026 group stage exit

Ian Healy has criticised Australia’s squad balance and selection decisions after their early exit from the T20 World Cup 2026.

Published

on

Australia’s campaign at the T20 World Cup 2026 ended at the group stage, marking a surprising early departure for the 2021 champions. With Zimbabwe progressing alongside Sri Lanka from Group B, Australia failed to secure a place in the Super 8 stage.

Losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka left the Mitchell Marsh-led side under pressure. A washed-out match between Ireland and Zimbabwe ultimately sealed Australia’s elimination from the tournament.

Former Australia wicketkeeper Ian Healy did not hold back in his assessment of the team’s performance and selection strategy. Speaking on SEN Cricket, Healy said the team’s approach in the lead-up to the tournament had been flawed.

“We were duped,” Healy remarked, suggesting that the squad composition prioritised power over adaptability in conditions suited to Sri Lanka and India. He criticised what he described as a denial of possible shortcomings and an overconfidence in the chosen combination.

Healy also questioned the decision-making around team changes during the tournament. He pointed out that in a crucial match, two bowlers and a leading batter were dropped to accommodate an all-rounder, another bowler, and the captain’s return, a move he felt disrupted the balance of the side.

The former wicketkeeper expressed particular concern over the batting order and the role of certain players. He questioned the inclusion of Cooper Connolly, noting the youngster’s recent run of low scores, and argued that the team lacked specialist batters capable of building innings in challenging conditions.

According to Healy, the squad was filled with finishers but lacked players who could stabilise the innings at the top. He also mentioned Cameron Green’s position at number three, Tim David at four, and Josh Inglis’ shifting role in the batting order as examples of what he called an “unbalanced team”.

Healy concluded that the selection direction taken a year ago, which he believes prioritised power-hitting over traditional batsmanship and form, ultimately backfired in subcontinental conditions.

Australia’s early exit means the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup 2026 will proceed without one of the tournament’s traditional heavyweights.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India’s 61-run win over Pakistan strengthens World Cup hopes says BCCI vice-president

BCCI Vice-President Rajiv Shukla says he is fully confident India will win the T20 World Cup 2026 following their dominant 61-run victory over Pakistan.

Published

on

ind vs pakistan

India’s commanding victory over Pakistan in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has boosted confidence within the cricket establishment, with Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Vice-President Rajiv Shukla expressing firm belief that the team will go on to lift the trophy.

Reacting after India’s comprehensive 61-run win in Colombo on Sunday, Shukla described the result as a major achievement and praised the team’s overall performance.

“Winning against Pakistan by such a huge margin is a huge achievement. The way our boys played, I am fully confident that we will win the World Cup as well,” Shukla told reporters. He highlighted the depth in the squad, saying different players have stepped up at different times during the tournament.

Kishan’s fifty and disciplined bowling seal big win

A decisive half-century from Ishan Kishan laid the foundation for India’s total of 175 for 7. Kishan’s 77-run knock anchored the innings, while Suryakumar Yadav contributed 32 runs to push the score to a competitive total.

In reply, Pakistan were bowled out for 114 in 18 overs. India’s bowling attack delivered a collective performance, with Axar Patel, Varun Chakravarthy, Hardik Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah picking up two wickets each.

Usman Khan top-scored for Pakistan with 44, while Shaheen Afridi remained unbeaten on 23. Saim Ayub had earlier impressed with the ball, claiming 3 wickets for 25 runs.

India on top of Group A

With three wins in three matches, India currently lead Group A. Pakistan stand third with two victories and one defeat, while the USA are placed second with two wins and two losses.

Shukla emphasised that the team’s strength lies in its balance and the ability of different players to deliver under pressure, reinforcing his confidence that India can go all the way in the tournament.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com