English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

ASEAN Summit: PM Narendra Modi presents India as an attractive investment destination

Published

on

ASEAN Summit: PM Modi presents India as an attractive investment destination

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Inviting ASEAN countries to ramp up investment in India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday spoke of the economic reforms undertaken in the country to boost trade and investment.

Earlier in the day, PM Modi met US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the 31st ASEAN Summit in Manila, Philippines. Trump reportedly congratulated the Indian leader for “a lot of good reports coming out of India”.

Modi arrived in Philippines on Sunday for a three-day visit during which he will also attend the 12th East Asia meet on Tuesday.

Addressing the ASEAN meet, the PM said the task of transforming India is proceeding on an “unprecedented scale”. Speaking at the ASEAN Business Forum in Manila, the Philippines capital, the Prime Minister said most sectors of the Indian economy were opened up for foreign direct investment, adding the country’s economy is now “globally integrated.”

The trade ties between India and ASEAN are on an upswing and both sides want to further boost the trade and investment cooperation.

The ASEAN region, along with India, together comprises a combined population of 1.85 billion people, which is one fourth of the global population and their combined GDP has been estimated at over $3.8 trillion.

Investment from ASEAN to India has been over $70 billion in the last 17 years accounting for more than 17 per cent of India’s total FDI. India’s investment in ASEAN during the same period has been more than $40 billion.

Modi sought to highlight India’s economic reforms to woo investors. “The task of transforming India is proceeding on an unprecedented scale. We are working day and night to ensure good governance which includes easy, effective and transparent governance,” he said, noting that more than 90% FDI sectors are on automatic approval route.

Modi listed major economic reform measures taken by his government, including rolling out of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and new laws and institutions for bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings. He said 1,200 out-dated laws have been repealed in the last three years as part of reform measures.

“India has climbed 30 places in the World Bank Ease of Doing Business Index this year. It is the biggest jump by any country this year and a recognition of India’s long term reform trajectory. And, the world is taking notice. We have moved up 32 places in the last two years in the Global Competitiveness Index of the World Economic Forum,” said Modi.

He said various reform measures coupled with demonetisation of high-value notes have resulted in formalising a large part of the Indian economy.

On trade with ASEAN countries, Modi said India wants to build land, sea and air connectivity to this dynamic region and that work is already on in the construction of the tri-lateral highway through Myanmar and Thailand to connect to other countries in South East Asia.

“We are working on the early conclusion of the Agreement on Maritime Transport between India and ASEAN and are exploring coastal shipping services with countries that are our immediate maritime neighbours,” he added.

“The ‘Act East’ policy of my government puts this region at the centre of our engagement. We have exceptionally good political and people-to-people relations with each and every country in the ASEAN region,” he said.

Modi said his government wants to make India a global manufacturing hub and at the same time it wants the youths of the country to be job creators and not just job seekers.

The Prime Minister said 36 “white industries” have been taken out from the requirement of environmental clearance. Incorporating a company is now just a one day affair, he said.

The PM also talked about the open auction policy for natural resources including telecom spectrum, coal mines and other minerals and even private radio channels, which he said has together contributed about $75 billion in revenue.

“Using technology, we are enhancing responsibility and reducing discretion and corruption. We are using our Unique ID system in financial transactions and taxation for this purpose and the results are already visible. These steps, coupled with demonetisation of high-value notes, have resulted in formalising a large part of our economy,” he said.

Modi said the number of new tax payers filing income tax returns has more than doubled and that digital transactions have increased by 34% in one year, as “we march towards a less-cash economy.”

“We have used technology to reach out to people. An online citizen engagement platform, MyGov has harnessed ideas, suggestions and inputs on policies and programmes from 2 million pro-active citizens,” he added.

On GST, he said it has done away with a vast range of State-level and Central-level taxes through-out India. “This is no small achievement given the vastness and diversity of our country and the federal nature of our polity,” he added.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said a “very large part” of India’s population had no access to banking services and launch of the Jan Dhan Yojana resulted opening of 197 million bank accounts in one year, adding till August this year, 290 million such accounts have been opened in Indian banks. He said more than 146 million people are receiving direct cash subsidies through bank accounts on cooking gas alone.

“Today, the government is using Direct Benefit Transfers for 59 different schemes. Subsidies worth nearly $10 billion are being directly transferred to the bank accounts of the intended beneficiaries,” he added.

“For the first time in India, collateral-free loans have been disbursed to more than 90 million small entrepreneurs under the Mudra scheme. Very near to the population of Philippines,” the PM said.

He said India is organising an ASEAN-India Connectivity Summit in New Delhi next month with Ministers, officials and business representatives from all ASEAN countries. India is also organising an ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit of ASEAN leaders in January next year.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Latest world news

India studying implications after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

India said it is studying the implications of a US Supreme Court ruling that struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, even as a new 10% global duty has been announced under an alternate law.

Published

on

Donald Trump

India on Saturday said it is closely examining the implications of a recent ruling by the US Supreme Court that struck down former US President Donald Trump’s sweeping global tariffs.

In its initial response, the Commerce Ministry said it has taken note of both the court’s judgement and subsequent announcements made by the US administration.

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard,” the ministry said.

“Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” it added.

What did the US Supreme Court rule?

On Friday, the conservative-majority court ruled 6–3 that a 1977 law relied upon by Trump to impose sudden tariffs on individual countries does not authorise the President to impose such sweeping duties.

The judgement marked a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, which had reshaped trade relations with several countries.

Responding to the ruling, Trump criticised members of the court, saying he was “ashamed” of certain justices and describing the verdict as disappointing.

Fresh tariffs under Section 122

Following the court’s decision, Trump announced new tariffs using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. The provision allows the US President to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 per cent for a maximum period of 150 days to address large and serious balance-of-payments deficits.

Under this route, a new 10 per cent global tariff has been imposed on imports into the United States. Trump said the revised order would be effective almost immediately.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the alternative mechanism would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.

Impact on India

Under the revised order, India faces a tariff rate of 10 per cent, reduced from the earlier 18 per cent under Trump’s broader tariff framework.

The new duty is scheduled to take effect from February 24 for a period of 150 days. Exemptions will continue for sectors subject to separate investigations, including pharmaceuticals, as well as goods entering the US under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement framework.

India has not announced any retaliatory measures and has indicated that it is currently assessing the trade and economic implications of the US decisions.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Sri Lankan President Dissanayake at AI summit, reviews connectivity agenda

PM Modi and Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake reviewed connectivity, AI cooperation and regional stability during talks at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi meet sri lanka president

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held talks with Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi, reviewing the progress of bilateral initiatives and reaffirming their commitment to deepening connectivity and development cooperation.

President Dissanayake was in India to attend the India-hosted AI Impact Summit. The visit marked his second trip to India since assuming office, following his State Visit in December 2024.

Focus on connectivity and development

According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the two leaders assessed developments stemming from recent high-level engagements, including Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to Sri Lanka in April 2025. They emphasised fast-tracking cooperation across three key pillars — physical, digital and energy connectivity — which remain central to India-Sri Lanka relations.

Both sides reiterated that improved connectivity would not only enhance economic integration but also contribute to long-term stability and prosperity in the region.

AI collaboration and inclusive growth

Technology-driven development also featured prominently in the discussions. The leaders exchanged views on leveraging artificial intelligence for developmental purposes and improving service delivery.

They agreed that responsible deployment of AI can help advance inclusive growth, particularly in developing countries, and support public service systems.

India’s support during crisis

President Dissanayake expressed appreciation for India’s assistance following Cyclone Ditwah, which caused significant damage in Sri Lanka. India, acting as a First Responder, provided emergency relief supplies and supported search and rescue operations under ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’.

The leaders also reviewed progress under India’s USD 450 million assistance package aimed at reconstruction and infrastructure restoration in Sri Lanka. The support is intended to aid long-term recovery and strengthen economic resilience.

Cultural ties and regional cooperation

Beyond economic and strategic matters, the meeting underscored the civilisational and cultural bonds between the two countries. The successful conclusion of the Exposition of the Holy Devnimori relics in Sri Lanka was welcomed as a step that further strengthened people-to-people connections.

Both leaders agreed to continue working closely to advance sustainable development, while contributing to peace and stability in the wider Indian Ocean Region.

The meeting highlighted India’s role as both a technology partner and a regional collaborator, as New Delhi and Colombo seek to build a resilient and forward-looking bilateral partnership.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump signs 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court setback

Donald Trump has signed a new 10% global tariff order after the US Supreme Court struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties

Published

on

donald-trump

US President Donald Trump has signed a fresh executive order imposing a 10 per cent tariff on imports from countries around the world, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties.

The new tariffs, which Trump said will take effect “almost immediately”, are being introduced under a law that limits such measures to 150 days. Describing the move as the beginning of an “adjustment process”, the President signalled that his administration would explore alternative routes to maintain revenue from import duties.

Trump criticises top court ruling

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision dealt a significant blow to a key part of Trump’s economic strategy. The ruling invalidated large portions of the administration’s previous tariff framework, prompting a sharp response from the President.

In posts on Truth Social, Trump said certain members of the court “should be ashamed of themselves” and termed the judgment “deeply disappointing”. He argued that the tariff mechanism used by his administration had been “acceptable and proper” and insisted that the new order was legally sound.

Trump also claimed that his use of tariffs over the past year had contributed to economic gains, citing milestones in the stock market. He said the Dow had crossed 50,000 and the S&P had reached 7,000, levels he argued were achieved sooner than expected following his election victory.

Tariffs central to Trump’s policy push

Tariffs have remained a central pillar of Trump’s economic and trade agenda. In April, he had announced “reciprocal” taxes of up to 50 per cent on imports from countries with which the United States runs trade deficits, along with a 10 per cent baseline tariff on most other nations.

He invoked a 1977 law to declare the trade deficit a national emergency, justifying broad import taxes. However, after global backlash, the administration paused the higher reciprocal tariffs for 90 days to allow for negotiations.

According to Trump, several countries agreed to revised trade terms during that period, while others faced steeper duties. He also reiterated claims that tariffs strengthened national security and helped curb fentanyl inflows by 30 per cent when used as penalties against certain countries.

“All of those tariffs remain,” Trump said, adding that other measures would now replace those struck down by the court.

The latest order underscores escalating tensions between the White House and the judiciary, as the administration seeks to preserve a cornerstone of its trade policy while navigating legal constraints.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com