English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Top Stories

Rahul Gandhi’s Wayanad office vandalised, Congress alleges SFI hand | WATCH

The student organisation protested alleging that the Congress leader failed to intervene in the issue of creating buffer zones around forests in the hilly areas of Kerala.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi Wayanad office

Senior Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s Wayanad office in Kerala was vandalised on Friday. In a protest march of the SFI, the student wing of the ruling CPI(M) allegedly entered the office and vandalised it.

Reports say 100 SFI activists marched inside the office and created a ruckus. Eight of them are under custody after police were deployed in the area of the incident, reports also said.

The video of the same was shared by ANI. The student organisation protested alleging that the Congress leader failed to intervene in the issue of creating buffer zones around forests in the hilly areas of Kerala.

Watch the viral video here:

Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan condemned the attack and assured strict action against the people involved. He also said everyone has the right to air their opinions and protest democratically, however, that shouldn’t result in an excess.

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor tweeted a video of Rahul Gandhi’s office and questioned if Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan and Sitaram Yechury would take any disciplinary action against the activists.

Have a look at Shashi Tharoor’s tweet here:

Leader of Opposition VD Satheesan reacted to the incident and said the incident reflects lawlessness and goondaism.

India News

Jharkhand exam row: Students suspend protest, give government 2 months Ultimatum 

Jharkhand students have suspended their 26-day protest over alleged recruitment exam irregularities and given the state government two months to resolve the issues.

Published

on

Students protesting alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations in Jharkhand have suspended their 26-day agitation and given the state government a two-month ultimatum to address their concerns and conduct a fair probe.

“We are now suspending the stir and giving a two-month ultimatum to the government to resolve the issues and conduct a fair probe into recruitment exam irregularities,” a leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch said.

The decision came a day after the state government issued notifications cancelling 22 recruitment examinations and ordering probes into 23 others conducted by the state public service commission and an outsourced agency since 2014.

Students demand probe into recruitment exams

Several job aspirants had been holding a sit-in protest in Ranchi, seeking an investigation into alleged irregularities in the 14th Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) Civil Services Examination, the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and other recruitment tests.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which led the agitation, also raised other demands alongside its call for action over examination irregularities.

Manch spokesperson Piyush Kumar Singh urged Chief Minister Hemant Soren to take stringent measures to prevent such irregularities in recruitment examinations from recurring.

The Manch also demanded the withdrawal of FIRs registered against protesters who took part in the August 10 march to the Assembly.

Another demand was the reinstatement of Santosh Kumar Mastana, described by the Manch as a whistleblower who had raised concerns over job examination anomalies, in the finance department.

Three protesters end 15-day hunger strike

Three protesters — Rupesh Kumar Pal, Savita Kumari and Rahul Kranti — ended their 15-day hunger strike on Wednesday, according to the Manch.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato had called off his hunger strike on Tuesday after meeting ministers and MLAs who visited him at Ranchi’s Sadar Hospital.

After the meeting, Mr Mahato thanked the government and said the ongoing investigation was targeting those involved in examination irregularities.

He also said the students would continue supporting efforts to remove corruption from the examination system and cooperate with the government in the ongoing reform process.

With the 26-day agitation now suspended, the students have given the state government two months to address the issues they have raised and act on their concerns over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

Continue Reading

India News

Tourists face alleged assault over shorts at Sinhagad Fort, 9 booked 

Nine individuals have been booked after tourists, including an eight-year-old girl, were allegedly assaulted over their clothing at Pune’s Sinhagad Fort.

Published

on

Pune’s Sinhagad Fort witnessed an alleged case of moral policing after a group of tourists, including an eight-year-old girl, were confronted and assaulted over their clothes on August 16.

Haveli Police have registered a criminal case against nine individuals in connection with the incident. According to Pune Police Superintendent Sandeep Singh Gill, the dispute began when a young man and another group of people stopped a family and questioned why their eight-year-old daughter was wearing shorts.

“An argument ensued, and the person was assaulted,” the police officer said.

The alleged attackers claimed to be members of a group called the ‘Fort Conservation Society’.

Tourists assaulted over clothing

According to officials, the incident took place when Sinhagad Fort was witnessing a heavy weekend crowd. The alleged members of the group confronted tourists, including the minor, over what they considered “inappropriate” clothing.

The confrontation allegedly escalated into physical violence, with tourists being beaten and intimidated. Women, children and elderly people were also allegedly subjected to mistreatment and physical assault.

Eyewitnesses said the incident continued for nearly two hours, leaving tourists frightened as they attempted to protect themselves.

Following complaints, Haveli Police registered a criminal case against nine named individuals. Further investigation is underway.

Sinhagad to introduce app-based tourist registration

The incident has also prompted authorities to take steps aimed at managing crowds at the fort.

Sinhagad Fort is set to become the first fort in Maharashtra to introduce app-based pre-registration for visitors as part of measures to manage tourist numbers and restrict vehicle entry.

Pune and its surrounding areas are home to several forts built during the Maratha period, including those associated with Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. These historic sites remain popular tourist destinations.

In recent years, some self-styled fort conservation groups have emerged in Pune, claiming to work towards preserving the structures and keeping them clean. However, locals and tourists have also alleged that some such groups attempt to impose their own rules regarding clothing and behaviour at the forts.

Continue Reading

India News

Kolkata hotel fire: 9 dead, 6 injured in Free School Street blaze

At least nine people, including a child, died and six were injured after a fire broke out at a Kolkata hotel near New Market.

Published

on

A massive fire at a hotel on Free School Street near New Market in Kolkata claimed at least nine lives, including that of a child, in the early hours of Wednesday. Six others were injured in the incident.

The fire broke out at around 2 am, trapping several guests inside the hotel as smoke rapidly spread through the building. The incident prompted a major rescue operation in the densely populated area.

According to the fire department, Bangladeshi nationals were among those killed. They had reportedly travelled to Kolkata for medical treatment.

Fire breaks out on third floor

Initial reports indicate that the blaze started on the hotel’s third floor. An air-conditioner explosion is being suspected as a possible trigger, although the exact cause of the fire has not yet been established.

Smoke quickly filled the rooms as the flames spread, leaving several guests trapped inside. Firefighters were alerted about the blaze at around 2:07 am.

Four fire tenders were sent to the location, while a disaster management team also joined the rescue operation.

Firefighters evacuated people trapped inside the building and eventually brought the blaze under control. The dense smoke made it difficult for them to move through the staircase and reach the upper floors.

A police officer said nine people had died and indicated that more casualties could not initially be ruled out. The flames had been extinguished and cooling operations were underway.

The incident occurred just two days after another deadly hotel fire in West Bengal’s Birbhum district. At least eight people were killed in a blaze at a hotel in Tarapith on August 17.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com