English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Top Stories

Bihar: People sit on Dharna in muddy water to protest against poor condition of NH-122

Reports said that the villagers were protesting in Mohiuddin Nagar market in the early morning on Saturday. They were sitting in the dirty water accumulated on the road.

Published

on

Samstipur protest

A unique protest has come to light from Bihar’s Hajipur district where some youth can be seen staging dharna in a muddy water against the poor condition of the National Highway (NH) -122. They were demanding to start construction work of the NH between Hajipur and Bhachbada.

Reports said that the villagers were protesting in Mohiuddin Nagar market in the early morning on Saturday. They were sitting in the dirty water accumulated on the road. A video of this unique protest has surfaced on the internet today.

https://twitter.com/apnnewsindia/status/1581521846192975872?s=20&t=rhc8Dxq7b_Nzn7M4NGc-UA

In a similar incident, a Jharkhand Congress MLA was seen sitting on dharna in a pool of dirty water on a stretch of national highway in Godda district. She was protesting against the poor condition of the national highway and demanding its immediate repair.

She said that she did not want to get involved in the fight between the state government and the centre. This was the NH-133 and the authorities had taken the responsibility to widen this stretch in May 2022, but the centre did not provide funds to repair to the highway. Under the given circumstances, she requested the chief minister to get it done as people were facing hardship.

In June this year, Road Transport and Highway Minister Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation of 15 new national highways in Bihar.

Addressing an event of the Indian Road Congress (IRC) in June this year, Nitin Gadkari said that his government was dedicatedly working towards expanding the National Highway network to 2 lakh kilometres by 2025.

Nitin Gadkari claimed that in the last eight years, the length of National Highways has gone up by more than 50 per cent-from 91,000 km to about 1.47 lakh km now.

He said that to date, a 2344 km highway has been constructed at the cost of Rs 45,000 crore in the North East region.

India News

China hits back with 34% retaliatory tariffs on US goods as trade war intensifies, files complaint in WTO

: China has imposed a 34% tariff on all US imports starting April 10 and introduced rare earth export restrictions. The move comes after the US announced harsh tariffs on Chinese goods.

Published

on

China US trade war

In a sharp escalation of the ongoing trade war between the world’s two largest economies, China on Friday announced a 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from the United States, effective April 10. The move follows the US decision to impose similar steep tariffs on Chinese products earlier this week.

Beijing’s finance ministry confirmed that this additional tariff will be levied on top of the current applicable tariff rates already in place. The announcement marks another chapter in the worsening trade tensions between the two nations, with global economic ramifications.

Rare earth export curbs signal broader pushback

Alongside the tariffs, China’s Commerce Ministry unveiled export controls on seven rare earth elements, including gadolinium and yttrium, which are critical in medical imaging and consumer electronics. The restriction on these materials could impact industries heavily reliant on Chinese supply chains.

The move is widely seen as a strategic countermeasure, given China’s dominance in the global supply of rare earth minerals, which are vital to several high-tech sectors.

Legal battle looms at WTO

Further intensifying the standoff, China announced plans to file a lawsuit with the World Trade Organization (WTO) challenging the US-imposed tariffs. The complaint is aimed at defending China’s trade interests and international rights under WTO regulations.

Triggered by US tariff hike under Trump

This rapid escalation was sparked after US President Donald Trump imposed 10% tariffs on a wide range of imports and introduced additional duties of 34% specifically on Chinese goods. The new tariffs are part of a broader protectionist strategy, but they risk triggering a global trade disruption.

In response, Beijing has vowed to implement “countermeasures” to safeguard its economic interests. The tit-for-tat measures highlight the deteriorating trade relationship and could have lasting impacts on global markets and supply chains.

Continue Reading

India News

Waqf Amendment Bill sparks protests in Bengal and Chennai after Parliament cleared bill, opposition terms it unconstitutional, anti-democratic

Widespread protests erupted across Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad against the Waqf Amendment Bill passed in Parliament. The inclusion of non-Muslim members in Waqf boards is at the centre of the controversy.

Published

on

Waqf bill protest

Large-scale demonstrations broke out across major Indian cities, including Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad, on Friday following the passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament earlier this week. The protests, organised largely after Friday prayers, drew thousands to the streets voicing strong opposition to the changes introduced in the Waqf laws.

Among the key points of contention is the provision mandating the nomination of two non-Muslim members to the state Waqf boards and the Central Waqf Council, a move that has triggered widespread backlash from the Muslim community and opposition parties.

Protests intensify in multiple cities

In Kolkata, visuals showed large gatherings waving the national flag and carrying placards reading “We reject Waqf amendment” and “Reject Waqf Bill”. The demonstrations were reportedly organised by the Joint Forum for Waqf Protection.

Ahmedabad witnessed more tense scenes, with police seen attempting to disperse elderly protestors seated on the roads. In Tamil Nadu, actor-politician Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) held coordinated protests across cities like Chennai, Coimbatore, and Tiruchirappalli. TVK termed the bill “anti-democratic” and questioned its impact on the country’s secular fabric.

Political leaders raise alarms over implications

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also spoke out strongly, vowing to protect the rights of the Muslim community and saying that the bill would be repealed if a non-BJP government comes to power at the Centre. “I will not let the Muslims of Bengal lose their land,” she said, accusing the Centre of trying to divide the nation.

Congress leader Sonia Gandhi described the bill as a “brazen assault” on the Constitution and accused the BJP of promoting “permanent polarisation” in society. She also criticised the way the bill was passed, calling it “bulldozed through” the Rajya Sabha.

Government defends bill amid controversy

The Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju, backed by Home Minister Amit Shah, clarified in Parliament that the bill is prospective in nature, and not retrospective—dismissing concerns that it could affect existing Waqf properties. Rijiju also emphasised that while non-Muslim members would be part of the Waqf boards, the management and beneficiaries would continue to be exclusively from the Muslim community.

The Waqf Amendment Bill, which still awaits President Droupadi Murmu’s assent, cleared the Lok Sabha with a vote count of 288–232 and later passed the Rajya Sabha 128–95 after prolonged debates totaling nearly 30 hours across both Houses.

Continue Reading

India News

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill rejected by President, CM Stalin calls it insult to federalism

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill has been rejected by the Centre. CM Stalin criticises the move, calls for an all-party meet, and vows legal recourse.

Published

on

Mk Stalin on NEET exemption bill

In a major blow to Tamil Nadu’s prolonged campaign against the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), the union government has rejected the state’s NEET exemption bill. The bill, passed by the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly twice — in 2021 and 2022 — sought to permit medical admissions based on Class 12 marks instead of the centralised NEET exam.

Chief Minister MK Stalin informed the Assembly on Friday that President Droupadi Murmu has turned down the bill, calling it an “insult” to the southern state and a setback for federal values.

Stalin slams Centre, calls for all-party meet

Responding to the rejection, Stalin criticised the Centre’s stance and labelled the move a “black phase in federalism.” He asserted that the Tamil Nadu government had provided all required clarifications on the bill but the Centre “chose to reject it” regardless.

Stalin announced that an all-party meeting of MLAs will be convened on April 9 to decide on further action. “The union government may have rejected our request, but our struggle is far from over,” he said, adding that the state would explore legal avenues to challenge the decision.

Social justice at the heart of Tamil Nadu’s demand

Tamil Nadu’s opposition to NEET has been rooted in concerns over equity and access. The state government argues that the centralised exam favours students from affluent families who can afford private coaching, thus widening the inequality in medical education.

Instead, Tamil Nadu has advocated for admissions based on Class 12 marks, which it believes is a more equitable approach ensuring social justice.

NEET under scrutiny across states

The controversy around NEET extends beyond Tamil Nadu. Last year, West Bengal passed a resolution opposing the centralised exam. Several national opposition leaders, including Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD’s Tejashwi Yadav, have also criticised the NEET system, especially in the wake of exam paper leak allegations and student suicides linked to the intense pressure surrounding the test.

Though the Supreme Court dismissed pleas for re-tests, citing no breach of exam sanctity, calls for reform in the NEET structure have been growing louder.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com