English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Supreme Court stays trial of Kathua child gangrape and murder case till May 7

Published

on

Supreme Court stays trial of Kathua child gangrape and murder case till May 7

The Supreme Court Friday, April 27, ordered a 10-day stay – till May 7 – on the trial in the Kathua child gangrape and murder case.

The court will deal with the prayer of the victim’s father for shifting the trial to Chandigarh and the plea of the accused seeking handing over the probe to CBI.

A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices D Y Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra – who replaces Justice AM Khanwilkar – said it will deal with the prayer of the victim’s father for shifting of trial to Chandigarh and plea of the accused seeking handing over the probe to CBI. The next hearing on matter has been fixed for May 7.

The child from a minority nomadic community – the Bakarwal –  had disappeared from near her home in a village near Kathua in Jammu region on January 10. Her body was found in the same area a week later.

In a stern warning a day before, on Thursday, the apex court had said it would transfer the Kathua gangrape and murder case from the local court in Jammu and Kashmir in the “slightest possibility” of lack of fair trial, saying the “real concern” was to hold proper prosecution.

Earlier, the eight-year-old’s father had moved the apex court, apprehending threat to the family, a friend and their lawyer Deepika Rajawat.

On the other hand, the accused filed a separate plea seeking that the trial in the case be held in Jammu and the probe handed over to the CBI.

During the hearing, the court witnessed heated exchanges between senior advocate Indira Jaising, who appeared for the victim’s family, and advocate Harvinder Chaudhary, who was representing the accused.

Jaising said the case should be transferred to Chandigarh due to its proximity to Kathua and the incidents of obstruction of police personnel by lawyers of the local court, reported The Hindu. She cited as reasons the attempts to intimidate the presiding judge of the court and the heckling of crime branch officials by lawyers, as evident in the affidavit of the Jammu and Kashmir government.

Chaudhary argued her clients do not have faith in police investigation as the police were hand-in-glove with vested interests to falsely implicate the accused while the real culprits were someone else. She said the probe should be handed over to the CBI.

Advocate General Jahangir Iqbal Ganai, along with standing counsel Shoeb Alam, appearing for Jammu and Kashmir, opposed the prayer for a CBI probe and said the special investigation team of the Crime Branch was investigating the case. Ganai said the trial could be shifted from Kathua to some other district in the State as there were 221 witnesses and most of the statements recorded so far were in Urdu, said The Hindu report.

Alam said Jammu and Kashmir had its own penal law and if the trial was shifted to Chandigarh, then it may create several problems.

Additional Solicitor General Maninder Singh, appearing for the Centre, said the government was ready to provide any assistance if required but the call has to be taken by the Jammu and Kashmir government.

The state police’s Crime Branch, which probed the case, filed the main chargesheet against seven persons and a separate charge sheet against a juvenile in a court in Kathua district last week. The chargesheet revealed chilling details about how the girl was allegedly kidnapped, drugged and raped inside a place of worship before being killed.

India News

Air India drug test row: 2 more pilots fail preliminary screening

Two more Air India pilots have not cleared preliminary drug tests and have been de-rostered while their final test results are awaited, sources said.

Published

on

Two more Air India pilots have not cleared the preliminary stage of drug testing ordered by the airline following the Phuket-Delhi flight incident. Their final test results are awaited, and both pilots have been de-rostered in the meantime, sources said.

The airline had directed its pilots to undergo drug testing as part of a new standard operating procedure after the pilot-in-command of the Phuket-Delhi flight failed two urine tests conducted after the aircraft landed. Marijuana was detected in his system.

More than 300 Air India pilots have undergone the testing process so far. Sources said final drug-test results generally take around 24 to 48 hours.

A cabin crew member on the Phuket-Delhi flight was also believed to have filed a complaint alleging that the pilot had previously smoked “pot”.

What happened on the Phuket-Delhi flight

The incident involved an Airbus A320neo that experienced a sudden drop of around 300 feet. The aircraft’s system data indicated a simultaneous loss of control of key flight surfaces, including the elevators and ailerons, for about four seconds.

The spoilers also lost control following the same hydraulic failure.

During the four-second period, the aircraft’s elevators and ailerons moved without pilot commands after multiple failures involving the jet’s three hydraulic systems.

The elevators control the aircraft’s pitch, while ailerons help control its roll. Spoilers reduce lift and increase drag, including during descent and landing.

Air India’s earlier statement on drug testing

The incident was initially reported as being linked to turbulence, before aircraft system data provided further information about what had occurred.

Air India had said it conducts regular drug testing of crew members in accordance with civil aviation regulations. The airline said the testing was part of its existing compliance process and was not initiated specifically because of the Phuket-Delhi flight incident.

Continue Reading

India News

Assam floods: Nearly 97,000 families receive Rs. 15,000 aid, more relief in pipeline

Assam has provided Rs. 15,000 each to 96,842 flood-affected families, while a detailed survey is underway to assess damage and determine further compensation.

Published

on

Assam floods

Assam has provided one-time financial assistance of Rs. 15,000 each to 96,842 flood-affected families, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Monday as the state began a detailed assessment of damage caused by the floods.

Sarma announced the figures at a press conference at the Media Hall of Lok Sewa Bhawan in Dispur after financial assistance was released to another 31,991 families across four affected districts.

The state government has spent Rs. 146.26 crore on the assistance distributed so far. Sarma said the beneficiary list was still being prepared and around 3,000 additional families could receive assistance in the next phase.

“We want the affected families to have some cash in hand when they return home after the flood. This assistance is meant to help them settle back and meet their immediate needs,” Sarma said.

Assam begins detailed flood damage assessment

The state government has now shifted its focus to assessing the extent of the damage caused by the floods. A rapid survey is being conducted across affected areas with the assistance of 1,144 teachers.

Preliminary findings show that 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged. Losses involving handloom-related raw materials have also been reported.

The assessment has so far covered around 5.98 lakh pets and domestic animals. Meanwhile, the survey of agricultural and fisheries losses is still underway.

Officials have identified 99,256 farmers who have suffered crop or other agriculture-related losses.

Sarma said the first phase of the survey is expected to be completed by August 28 or 29. The findings will subsequently be uploaded to a web portal, where affected residents will be able to check the information recorded against their names.

The portal will also allow people to raise objections if they have been excluded from the beneficiary list or if the damage recorded does not reflect their actual losses.

Second verification round planned in September

The government plans to begin a second round of verification around September 1 or 2. The process is expected to continue until September 10 or 11, with the revised list likely to be made public around September 15 or 16.

Sarma said unresolved complaints could lead to another field verification.

“If there is a complaint for the third consecutive time, we are ready to conduct a third survey. Our aim is to complete the survey and provide financial assistance by October 9 or 10,” he said.

If another verification round is not required, the government expects to complete the process by the end of September, he added.

The damage recorded on the assessment portal has so far been estimated at around Rs. 480 crore for houses and other properties. The figure, however, is expected to change as the survey progresses.

Rehabilitation plans for worst-hit areas

The Assam government is also considering longer-term rehabilitation measures for some of the worst-affected areas in Sivasagar and Charaideo.

Sarma said the state government had discussed the possibility of providing houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana to eligible families in the two districts with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“We are trying not just to provide immediate relief but to give a strong and lasting solution to the affected people,” Sarma said.

Restoration work has begun at several damaged schools, roads, naamghars and health facilities. Health and veterinary teams are also continuing camps in flood-affected areas.

Ex-gratia, loan moratorium and insurance claims

The government is separately working on ex-gratia payments of Rs. 9 lakh to the next of kin of people who died in the floods, Sarma said.

On financial relief for borrowers, he said 1,712 affected people had so far applied for a moratorium on bank loans. Eligible borrowers have been asked to submit their applications by August 31.

“There are still many people who have not applied for the moratorium. I appeal to all affected people who are eligible to apply before August 31,” he said.

Insurance claims are also being processed. According to the Chief Minister, 1,598 claims have been received so far, of which 170 have already been settled and the payments released.

Sarma urged flood-affected people with insurance coverage to approach their respective insurance companies and submit claims for losses suffered during the floods.

The immediate priority, according to the Chief Minister, is to complete the damage assessment, give affected people an opportunity to challenge the findings and finish the compensation process for eligible families.

Continue Reading

India News

Rahul Gandhi asks Hemant Soren to meet protesting students

Rahul Gandhi has urged Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren to personally meet students protesting alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi

Congress MP and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi has urged Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren to personally meet students protesting alleged irregularities in the state’s recruitment examinations.

In a letter dated August 14, Mr Gandhi said the agitation had entered its 24th day by Monday and described the protests as peaceful, while calling the students’ demands legitimate.

He said the Congress supports the right to peaceful protest and has backed students raising concerns over alleged paper leaks and irregularities in the education system.

Mr Gandhi also acknowledged that the Jharkhand government had initiated a dialogue with the protesting students.

“I believe that there is also agreement on several demands raised by the students. However, the protests continue, and some students remain on an indefinite hunger strike,” he said.

The Congress leader urged Mr Soren to meet representatives of the protesting students, saying such a step would reinforce the government’s commitment to resolving their remaining concerns.

Jharkhand protesters had appealed to Rahul Gandhi

The students protesting over the examination issue had also appealed to Rahul Gandhi on Independence Day to withdraw support from the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha-led coalition if the Chief Minister did not respond to their concerns.

The protesters said that although Mr Gandhi had expressed support for their cause, no concrete action had followed.

They have also sought Mr Soren’s resignation and announced plans to protest outside his residence on August 20.

The agitation has focused on alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand. Some protesters, including students on an indefinite hunger strike, have continued their demonstration despite talks between representatives of the government and the students.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com