English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Jaishankar makes statement in Parliament on Bangladesh crisis, Sheikh Hasina exile

Published

on

S Jaishankar Sheikh Hasina Excile

Minister of External Affairs S Jaishankar informed both Houses of Parliament on Tuesday about the circumstances surrounding the arrival of former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her sister in India.

Making a suo motu statement, Jaishankar said after the violence spread in Dhaka and built up over August 4 and 5, the former PM requested approval to come to India for the moment. This came after her meeting with security officials, he said.

He sought the support of all parties. Earlier in the day, Jaishankar convened an all-party meet to apprise parties on the collapse of Sheikh Hasina’s administration and the military’s ascendancy.

Jaishankar listed efforts taken by the Indian administration in treading through the possible security, economic, and diplomatic ramifications.

The minister briefed the parties on the government’s blueprint for containing the backlash with the new regime in Bangladesh, said insiders, and even extended support to the deposed leader.

“It’s a dynamic situation. The government will take appropriate steps at an appropriate time,” Jaishankar said.

Jaishankar hinted that they would give Sheikh Hasina, who is in Delhi, a chance to communicate her future plans to the Centre.

He also said the Centre is keeping a close watch on the developing situation and has been in touch with the Bangladesh military, which is ready to form an interim government after the Hasina’s ouster, to protect Indian nationals and minorities.

Home Minister Amit Shah, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju were present at the meeting.

Sheik Hasina submitted her resignation yesterday and fled after huge masses of angry protesters took to the streets demanding her exit.

Following her resignation, Army chief General Waker-Uz-Zaman announced that the army would set up a “transitional government” and appealed to the protesters to go home.

She landed at the Hindon Air Force base in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, about 30km from Delhi, yesterday evening, where she was received by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval.

India News

NHAI expands Rs 350 monthly toll pass to 121 toll plazas: How to apply 

NHAI has expanded its digital FASTag Local Pass to 121 toll plazas. Check who is eligible for the Rs 350 monthly pass and how to apply online.

Published

on

Toll plaza

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has expanded its digital FASTag Local Pass facility to 121 toll plazas across India, making it easier for eligible local commuters to obtain a monthly toll pass without visiting a toll plaza.

Under the new system, eligible commuters can apply for the Local Pass through the Rajmargyatra mobile app. The facility removes the need for physical visits and manual submission of documents where the required information can be verified digitally.

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways said the initiative is aimed at making National Highway travel more convenient and citizen-friendly.

Who is eligible for the Rs 350 monthly toll pass?

The Local Pass is intended for residents living within a 20-km radius of an eligible toll plaza.

The monthly pass, starting at Rs 350, allows eligible commuters to make unlimited journeys through the respective toll plaza during the month, subject to applicable rules.

It can be particularly useful for people who regularly cross the same toll plaza for work, daily errands or other routine travel.

However, the digital Local Pass facility is currently available only at 121 toll plazas. Commuters therefore need to check whether their toll plaza is covered before applying.

How to apply for the NHAI Local Pass

Eligible commuters can apply for the Local Pass through the Rajmargyatra mobile app.

The digital system uses consent-based integration with government platforms such as DigiLocker and VAHAN to verify information related to the applicant.

The details checked include the applicant’s residential address, vehicle information and the FASTag linked to the vehicle.

The applicant’s eligibility is then determined through GIS-based verification, which checks whether the registered residential address falls within the prescribed 20-km radius of the relevant toll plaza.

What information is checked?

After obtaining the applicant’s consent, the system retrieves relevant information from digital government records.

The information includes:

  • Residential address
  • Vehicle details
  • FASTag linked to the vehicle
  • Location of the registered address in relation to the toll plaza

According to the Ministry, digital records and GIS-based verification eliminate the need for manual documentation and physical verification where the required information can be verified digitally.

Where is the digital Local Pass available?

NHAI has extended the digital Local Pass facility to 121 toll plazas across the country.

Commuters can check the list of eligible toll plazas through the Rajmargyatra portal before starting the application process.

The facility was initially introduced in July 2026 at the Mundka-Bakkarwala Toll Plaza on Delhi’s Urban Extension Road-II (UER-II). It was subsequently expanded to more than 120 toll plazas.

The government has said the facility will be rolled out at additional toll plazas in the coming months.

Why has NHAI introduced the digital system?

Previously, commuters seeking a Local Pass had to visit the concerned toll plaza and submit documents to establish that they lived within the required 20-km radius.

The new digital process is intended to reduce paperwork and manual intervention while making the eligibility verification process quicker and more transparent.

The government has described the initiative as part of the Digital India vision and its efforts to improve the Ease of Living for citizens.

For eligible local commuters who frequently use a covered toll plaza, the monthly pass starting at Rs 350 provides an online alternative to the earlier physical application process.

Continue Reading

India News

DoT asks telcos to block new SIMs for subscribers with 9 connections

The Department of Telecommunications has directed telecom operators to deny new SIM connections to subscribers who already have nine mobile connections in their name.

Published

on

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has directed telecom service providers to deny new mobile connections to subscribers who already have the maximum permitted number of nine connections in their name.

According to an official circular dated August 17, telecom operators must put appropriate technical and organisational measures in place from August 24 to identify subscribers seeking mobile connections beyond the prescribed limit.

The operators have been asked to inform such subscribers that they have already reached the maximum number of mobile connections permitted to an individual and that another connection cannot be provided.

Digital Intelligence Platform to help identify subscribers

The DoT has directed telecom service providers to use the Digital Intelligence Platform (DIP) for the process. The platform has been established by the department using subscriber data records uploaded by telecom operators.

The circular said details of subscribers who have already obtained mobile connections beyond the prescribed limit are available on the DIP.

From August 23, a representative image of the photograph of each subscriber who has already reached the prescribed limit of mobile connections in their name will also be made available on the platform.

The move is aimed at helping telecom operators identify subscribers attempting to obtain additional mobile connections after reaching the prescribed limit and prevent them from crossing that limit.

Telecom operators asked to streamline process by November 30

The DoT has asked telecom service providers to streamline the process with the Digital Intelligence Platform by November 30.

The circular also provides for action against mobile connections activated beyond the permitted limit until the required measures are implemented.

It said that, until such measures are implemented by a telecom service provider on a post-facto basis, any mobile connection activated beyond the prescribed limit for a day would be immediately suspended, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Customer Application Form (CAF).

The connection would remain suspended until the issue related to crossing the permitted limit for mobile connections is resolved.

Continue Reading

India News

Union Cabinet approves Jammu and Kashmir High Court bench for Ladakh

The Union Cabinet has approved setting up a Jammu and Kashmir High Court bench in Ladakh to improve access to justice for people in remote areas.

Published

on

The Union Cabinet has decided to set up a bench of the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir in Ladakh, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Thursday.

Shah said the decision, taken under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will significantly improve access to justice for citizens living in remote areas of the Union Territory.

According to the Home Minister, the establishment of the bench will reduce the time required for people in Ladakh to access the legal services they are entitled to.

“The Union Cabinet, under the leadership of the PM Shri @narendramodi Ji, has decided to set up a bench of the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir in Ladakh,” Shah said in a message posted on X.

He added that the move will significantly enhance access to justice for citizens living in remote parts of Ladakh by reducing the time needed to avail themselves of legal services.

Shah further said that the government is fully committed to the all-round development of Ladakh and to ensuring constitutional safeguards for the Union Territory.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com