English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

After Modi biopic and pics on boarding passes, train tickets, his ASAT speech under EC lens

Published

on

Narendra Modi

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Starting from timing release of a movie based on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s life at the time of 2019 Lok Sabha election and then his photographs appearing on Air India boarding passes and rail tickets, to his address today (Wednesday, March 27) about India’s entry into the space powers club, the Election Commission’s attention has been repeatedly drawn to the man in person or by proxie.

Hours after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced – in a rather long-drawn speech – India successfully testing an anti-satellite missile to enter the club of space powers, the Election Commission of India had what was described as an “internal consultation” on the matter, reported The Indian Express (IE).

The announcement had been followed by statements from Modi’s ministers and a barrage of social media posts from BJP and other Modi supporters with ‘chowkidar’ prefix on their names hailing, understandably – the development, while opposition parties questioned the timing and the manner of the announcement. They also pointed out that when India has achieved this capability years ago in 2012 (some cited reports from 2011), even then it was an officer who had made the announcement and not the PM.

Some parties have appealed to the Election Commission, but sources in the top poll body have said that “no permission of poll panel is needed for security related issues being announced.”

However, the IE report cited senior EC officials as saying comments from the government would soon be sought on the circumstances and urgency for the address.

EC officials told The Indian Express that what is already under examination by them are the precedents of such a national address by the Prime Minister shortly before the Lok Sabha polls and whether “ national security” could be invoked by the ruling NDA for the urgency of the address.

There are indications that the Election Commission was taken by surprise with the development and that Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora has given instructions for the transcript of the address to be analysed carefully by EC officials and another review is likely to be undertaken on Thursday.

Election Commission sources said that they would also be looking into the “origins” of the Prime Minister’s address to find out if the coordination and preparations for it were done within the Prime Minister’s Office or the Ministry of Defence.

EC on Modi’s pics on rail tickets, boarding passes of flights

Before this, it wasn’t PM Modi directly, but in an election that is centred around his leadership, it was the issue of his pictures on rail tickets and boarding passes of flights of some airlines. The EC was reported to have issued a show cause notice to the Railways and Civil Aviation ministries over the use of PM Modi’s pictures on rail tickets and Air India boarding passes as prima facie it violates the model code of conduct.

Media reports quoting sources in the poll panel said prima facie the railways and Air India have violated the model code of conduct, and referred to clause VII of the code which states that “issue of advertisement at the cost of public exchequer … regarding achievements with a view to furthering the prospects of the party in power shall be scrupulously avoided”.

In a complaint to the EC, the Trinamool Congress had recently claimed that the “…railway tickets issued by the Indian Railways contain achievements of the party in power at the Centre (BJP) with regard to Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana and photographs of Prime Minister Narendra Modi which is being displayed at the cost of public exchequer and obviously to influence minds of the voters.”

Modi biopic

The Election Commission has also sought comments from the makers of the biopic on Narendra Modi on the Opposition’s demand to postpone its release till the Lok Sabha elections get over. The film is slated for release on April 5. The Delhi chief electoral officer had already issued a notice to the producers in this regard.

On March 20, East Delhi Returning Officer K Mahesh suo motu issued notices to the production house and music company behind the film “PM Narendra Modi” and two leading newspapers for publishing advertisements of the film. Opposition parties have alleged that the film violates the model code and would act like an advertisement for the BJP.

According to media reports, the Delhi Chief Electoral Office had said on Monday that it was awaiting a reply from the makers of a biopic on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, scheduled to be released on April 5, after it felt that the film violated the model code of conduct.

Delhi Chief Electoral Officer Ranbir Singh said the concerned parties have been given time till March 30 to respond.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill rejected by President, CM Stalin calls it insult to federalism

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill has been rejected by the Centre. CM Stalin criticises the move, calls for an all-party meet, and vows legal recourse.

Published

on

Mk Stalin on NEET exemption bill

In a major blow to Tamil Nadu’s prolonged campaign against the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), the union government has rejected the state’s NEET exemption bill. The bill, passed by the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly twice — in 2021 and 2022 — sought to permit medical admissions based on Class 12 marks instead of the centralised NEET exam.

Chief Minister MK Stalin informed the Assembly on Friday that President Droupadi Murmu has turned down the bill, calling it an “insult” to the southern state and a setback for federal values.

Stalin slams Centre, calls for all-party meet

Responding to the rejection, Stalin criticised the Centre’s stance and labelled the move a “black phase in federalism.” He asserted that the Tamil Nadu government had provided all required clarifications on the bill but the Centre “chose to reject it” regardless.

Stalin announced that an all-party meeting of MLAs will be convened on April 9 to decide on further action. “The union government may have rejected our request, but our struggle is far from over,” he said, adding that the state would explore legal avenues to challenge the decision.

Social justice at the heart of Tamil Nadu’s demand

Tamil Nadu’s opposition to NEET has been rooted in concerns over equity and access. The state government argues that the centralised exam favours students from affluent families who can afford private coaching, thus widening the inequality in medical education.

Instead, Tamil Nadu has advocated for admissions based on Class 12 marks, which it believes is a more equitable approach ensuring social justice.

NEET under scrutiny across states

The controversy around NEET extends beyond Tamil Nadu. Last year, West Bengal passed a resolution opposing the centralised exam. Several national opposition leaders, including Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD’s Tejashwi Yadav, have also criticised the NEET system, especially in the wake of exam paper leak allegations and student suicides linked to the intense pressure surrounding the test.

Though the Supreme Court dismissed pleas for re-tests, citing no breach of exam sanctity, calls for reform in the NEET structure have been growing louder.

Continue Reading

India News

Suresh Gopi backs Waqf Bill amid land row in Kerala, calls it beneficial for Munambam residents

Union Minister Suresh Gopi supports the Waqf Bill citing benefits for Munambam residents, but lashes out at media over questions related to a recent priest attack in Jabalpur.

Published

on

Suresh Gopi

Union Minister Suresh Gopi strongly defended the Waqf (Amendment) Bill on Friday, asserting that the new legal changes would help people in Munambam, Kerala, who have been disadvantaged due to existing Waqf land claims. Speaking in Kochi, he criticised both the Congress and CPM, remarking, “Some people claimed the Waqf Bill would be thrown into the bin in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC). Let’s see how it pans out.”

He insisted that the amended law would correct past injustices and benefit local residents who’ve been entangled in ownership disputes involving the Waqf Board.

Heated response on Jabalpur priest attack

Gopi, however, grew visibly agitated when questioned about the recent attack on Malayali priests in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Reacting sharply, he said, “Go ahead and do a post-mortem of my tongue, but don’t dissect my mind.” He compared the incident to past controversies involving Christian leaders in Pala, Kerala, and questioned the media’s line of inquiry, stating, “Who are you? Whom are you questioning? Be very careful while speaking.”

His remarks came as reporters pressed for a response to the assault on Christian priests and community members in Jabalpur.

George Kurien demands justice for Munambam

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Minority Affairs George Kurien voiced strong support for the residents of Munambam during a Rajya Sabha discussion on the Bill. He demanded that the Waqf Board produce legal documents to justify its claim over land in Munambam and asserted that ownership must be restored to rightful holders.

Kurien emphasized that “any provision of law that contradicts the Indian Constitution must be amended,” and said that the rights of all religious minorities must be protected. He also accused opposition leaders of trying to mislead the Muslim community in Kerala, whom he described as “gentle and pious.”

Continue Reading

India News

BJP demands Sonia Gandhi’s apology over Waqf Bill remarks amid Parliament uproar

After the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, BJP demanded an apology from Sonia Gandhi for calling the Bill unconstitutional. Congress plans to challenge the law in the Supreme Court.

Published

on

Sonia Gandhi

The political temperature in Parliament rose sharply after the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, with the BJP demanding an apology from Congress leader Sonia Gandhi for her sharp criticism of the legislation. Mrs Gandhi called the Bill a brazen assault on the Constitution and accused the ruling BJP of pushing India toward permanent polarisation.

Her comments, made during a Congress Parliamentary Party meeting at Samvidhan Sadan, drew a swift backlash from the BJP, with MPs led by Nishikant Dubey demanding a formal apology. They accused her of undermining constitutional values and the Parliament’s authority. The protests led to the adjournment of Lok Sabha proceedings on Friday morning, as BJP members chanted slogans calling for her apology.

Sonia Gandhi alleges ‘bulldozing’ of legislation

Sonia Gandhi strongly criticized the passage of the Waqf Bill, claiming it was bulldozed through the Lok Sabha. She also targeted the Modi govt’s push for the One Nation, One Election initiative, calling it a direct subversion of India’s constitutional framework. “Whether it is education, civil rights and liberties, our federal structure, or the conduct of elections, the Modi government is dragging the country into an abyss,” she said.

She accused the government of promoting a surveillance state and claimed Prime Minister Narendra Modi was rebranding initiatives started during the UPA era as his own. Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi were present during the meeting, where Mrs Gandhi urged Congress MPs to aggressively counter BJP narratives.

Waqf Bill passed after intense debate in both Houses

The Waqf (Amendment) Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha after a 12-hour debate. Amendments proposed by opposition members were rejected via voice vote. The final vote count stood at 288 in favour and 232 against. The Bill later cleared the Rajya Sabha with 128 votes supporting it and 95 opposing, amid claims from opposition parties that it is anti-Muslim and unconstitutional.

The government defended the Bill as a historic reform for the benefit of the minority community. The Congress has since announced that it will challenge the law in the Supreme Court, with Jairam Ramesh stating that the party would very soon contest the Bill’s constitutional validity.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com