English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

26 years after his arrest, Perarivalan, convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, gets 30 day parole

Published

on

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Dravidian parties in Tamil Nadu welcome Edappadi Palaniswami government’s decision to allow Rajiv’s assassin to walk out of Vellore prison to visit his ailing father, DMK appeals for extension of parole

 Nearly 26 years after he was arrested and subsequently convicted to a life term for his involvement in the assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, AG Perarivalan, was released on a 30-day parole, on Friday, under orders of the Tamil Nadu government, to visit his ailing father.

The development comes after the Edappadi Palaniswami (EPS) government held extensive discussions with its law officers for nearly 3 months on the proposal to release Perarivalan on ‘ordinary leave’. Chief Minister Palaniswami had informed the Tamil Nadu Assembly on July 9 that his government had held consultations with the Advocate General about the possibility of granting parole to the life-term convict.

In a letter dated August 24, the TN government’s Additional Chief Secretary (home) Niranjan Mardi, had written to the state’s Deputy Inspector General of Prisons citing the opinion of the Advocate General of Tamil Nadu that with regard to the scope of Rule 22 of Tamil Nadu Suspension of Sentence Rules, 1982, there was no restriction for granting parole to Perarivalan.

Perarivalan’s mother Arputham Ammal had earlier written to the TN government seeking one-month parole for her son. She had claimed that her husband – 74-yearold Gnanasekaran – was suffering from different ailments and doctors had advised the family that he be taken from Jolarpet to Chennai for further treatment. Perarivalan had moved a similar appeal seeking his release on parole on compassionate grounds and stated that he was required to take his father for treatment to Chennai.

After having rejected several similar petitions filed by Arputham in the past, the EPS government finally obliged, while ordering the state police authorities to ensure that a strong police escort is provided to Perarivalan alias Arivu.

26 years after his arrest, Perarivalan, convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, gets 30 day parole

Both key Dravidian parties in the state – the ruling AIADMK and its arch rival, the DMK have welcomed Perarivalan’s release. DMK working president MK Stalin, who had been pressing for the convict’s release on compassionate grounds for some time, has now appealed to the EPS government that Perarivalan should be granted an extension of parole and demanded that the federal and state government should both work towards steps that will ensure his permanent release from Vellore jail.

DMK spokesperson TKS Elangovan termed the parole as a great relief for Perarivalan and his family. “It is a good thing. We welcome this. We have been demanding this as he was in prison for a long time. Parole will be great relief to him and his family. His mother will be happy that his son came home after a long time,”Elangovan told reporters in Chennai on Friday.

Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) founder S Ramadoss also took to twitter to express happiness at the development.

Perarivalan’s mother too has expressed gratitude to all political parties for their support in her struggle to get her son released with a special mention of the late chief minister J Jayalalithaa.

“After 26 years of struggle, my son will be returning from the jail. I thank late J. Jayalalithaa for helping us through this. All political parties have shown support in this matter. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’s (DMK) MK Stalin too,” Arputham told the media.

Tamil Nadu’s Law minister, CV Shanmugam informed media persons in Chennai that “chief minister Palaniswami considered the pleas of Perarivalan’s mother on compassionate grounds. There were also requests from various quarters to release Perarivalan as he has already served a long sentence… He has been a convict since he was a 19-year-old and never got relief even once in his 26 years of sentence. You must also remember, our Amma (Jayalalithaa) had passed a resolution on the floor of the TN assembly for release of all the convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case”.

26 years after his arrest, Perarivalan, convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, gets 30 day parole

Perarivalan and six others associated with the Sri Lankan terror outfit LTTE were arrested in 1991 for the assassination of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi during an election rally.

In 1998, the Supreme Court had sentenced Perarivalan to death. The judgement had said, “AG Perarivalan alias Arivu (A-18) was sentenced to death for purchasing the 9-volt battery used in the belt-bomb which Dhanu (the woman LTTE operative who acted as the suicide bomber to kill Rajiv) strapped around her waist. A single passage in his confessional statement made clear that this battery was used in the bomb. Since the only way he could have known this was prior to the blast, and on the basis of corroborative evidence, the judges came to the conclusion that Arivu had prior knowledge of the assassination attempt.”

After multiple mercy petitions, the Supreme Court had commuted Perarivalan’s death sentence to life imprisonment in February 2014.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma says only 8 people applied for citizenship under CAA

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

Published

on

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said that only eight people have applied for citizenship under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) from the state so far.

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

The Assam CM further said that the State conducted outreach programmes in the Barak valley and approached many Hindu Bengali families and asked them to apply for citizenship under CAA. However, they refused to do so saying that they would prefer fighting their cases at the Foreigners Tribunal (FT), Sarma added.

Foreign Tribunals (FT), quasi-judicial bodies exclusive to Assam, are authorised to decide the nationality issue of doubtful citizens, he asserted. Sarma also claimed that most of the Hindu-Bengali families, who were not included in the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), told him that they possessed the necessary documents to prove their Indian citizenship and preferred the FT route rather than applying for through the CAA.

When asked whether the Assam government is dropping cases in Foreigners Tribunals (FT) against Hindu-Bengalis, Sarma termed it misleading. He said the State cannot drop any case. The government is simply advising that before initiating a case, individuals should apply through the CAA portal. Even if a case is filed, there won’t be any outcome because these people are eligible for citizenship, Assam CM emphasised.

CM also assured that he is going to request the Advocate General to flag the issue of CAA so that FTs can give time to people whose cases are going on to apply for citizenship under the newly implemented law.

He added that the government cannot give a direction to the court to pause while deciding the citizenship cases. The FT judges themselves have to decide and they know the latest situation, Sarma said.

He also explained why there was a low number of applications in CAA, saying the Opposition myth that 15-20 lakh Bangladeshis will get citizenship in Assam has been busted completely.

The Chief Minister said that during the anti-CAA movement, five Assamese youths lost their lives. So they made the sacrifice to prevent only these eight people, he asked. This abysmally low number of eight applications, of which only two turned up for interview, is a bit surprising for us also, he said.

Continue Reading

India News

AAP claims Arvind Kejriwal lost 8.5 kg, Tihar jail rebuts

Not 8.5 Kgs but Kejriwal lost around 3.5 Kgs during his incarceration period in prison.

Published

on

The authorities in Tihar jail on Monday addressed the accusations of Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) that the Delhi Chief Minister has lost 8.5 kg weight through his term of imprisonment, saying not 8.5 Kgs but Kejriwal lost around 3.5 Kgs during his incarceration period in prison.

This was only after one of the confessed BJP’s was planning to destroy Kejriwal’s life by ignoring his medical needs as a diabetic. In contradiction, Tihar prison representatives, according to reports, disclosed that the chief minister has only lost 2 kg of weight from March 30 till now, and he is under the scrutiny of a medical board comprised of doctors from AIIMS.

It all started when AAP leader and Delhi Minister Atishi on Sunday claimed that Kejriwal had a drop in his weight of 8.5 kg after his arrest and his blood sugar continued to be below normal levels several times while in care.

AAP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh painted a picture of doom by stating that Tihar doctors had verified Kejriwal’s weight loss, mentioning the consequences of excessive health complications due to hypoglycemia. However, the Tihar prison administration denied the claims of AAP, which were sent to the home department of Delhi by saying they were misleading and detrimental to the prison, and were crafted to weaken trust in the prison system.

The authority alleged that they see a report each time the measurements are done; it makes them do their work better, as Kejriwal’s doctor uses it to monitor his condition. Prison staff stated that all necessary health care is provided to him, and he is always fed three times a day with home-cooked meals.

They were vociferous in condemning a plot, saying that the aim was to damage the image of the prison with wrong tales. As stated by Tihar-based medical documents, Kejriwal’s weight was 65 kg on April 1, as he got into the prison, and 66 kg from April 8 to 29. After getting back to jail on June 2, following a 21-day intermediary bail, his weight went down to 63.5 kg.

On July 14, his weight reduced further to 61.5 kg. Thus, a total of 2 kg was lost during his detention. The health condition of Kejriwal is still monitored by the AIIMS medical board, and updates on his health are being regularly given to his wife, Sunita Kejriwal.

However, there is the AAP that is adamant about their affirmative claims, stating that the act of reporting the documents without his go-ahead is illegal and also gives the impression that there are activities going on with the ultimate goal of getting rid of him.

This was followed a few months later by his arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation on June 26 in a corruption case that revolved around the same case. Although he was granted anticipatory bail by possibly the apex court filed in the case of money laundering, he is still detained due to the ongoing corruption case.

Continue Reading

India News

Hemant Soren meets PM Modi in Delhi, first meeting after release from jail

He secured bail and became chief minister again on July 4.

Published

on

Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday in Delhi. This was his first meeting with the Prime Minister after he was released from jail where he spent around five months.

Taking to X, Jharkhand Chief Minister said that the meeting was a courtesy call. Notably, he was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on January 31 this year in connection with a money laundering case related to an alleged land scam.

The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) executive president had spent around five months in prison, he secured bail and became chief minister again on July 4.

On July 3, JMM leader and former Jharkhand Chief Minister Soren stepped out of the Birsa Munda Jail in Ranchi Friday following the grant of bail by the Jharkhand High Court.

A single-judge bench of Justice Rongon Mukhopadhyay, while granting bail, noted that the Court’s findings satisfy the condition that there exist reasons to believe that Soren is not guilty of the PMLA offence he has been accused of.

Following Soren’s bail on July 3, the outgoing Chief Minister Champai Soren had said that the party alliance decided to elect Hemant Babu (Hemant Soren) as leader, after which he resigned from his post. Champai Soren tendered his resignation to Governor C P Radhakrishnan and soon after Hemant Soren staked a claim to form the government. Soren along with alliance party leaders met the Governor after he reached Ranchi on July 3 evening from outside. Hemant Soren took oath as the 13th Chief Minister of the State on July 4 again.

Meanwhile, earlier today, BJP leader Deepak Prakash claimed that Hemant Soren’s government of 4.5 years has been one that wreaks havoc on the public, one that takes away employment from the youth. Hemant Soren’s government is a synonym for corruption. The government has been involved in a mining scam, a tender scam and one that has brought jungle raj in the state, he added.  

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com