English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Gauri Lankesh murder case: Accused man to face tougher charges, Supreme Court restores KCOCA

The bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar, Dinesh Maheshwari and CT Ravikumar restored the KCOCA on an appeal filed by Lankesh’s sister, who assailed the High Court verdict.

Published

on

Gauri Lankesh murder case

In 2017, journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead from close range near her house in Rajajareshwari Nagar in Bengaluru, and now the Supreme Court ruled out that the man who was accused in the 2017 murder case will face tougher charges and the top court also cancelled a Karnataka High Court Order.

Earlier, in April, the Karnataka High Court quashed the Karnataka Control of Organised Crimes Act (KCOCA) that was charged against accused Mohan Nayak. After this, Gauri Lanklesh’s sister Kavita Lankesh approached the Supreme Court.

In the petition, Kavita Lankesh said that the accused Mohan Nayak, according to a special investigation team (SIT) is a part of a syndicate and he is responsible for multiple instances of organised crime. He is accused of killing Gauri Lankesh and other activists including Govind Pansare and Narendra Dobhalkar.

The plea also mentioned that as defined by the KCOCA, Nayak was involved in continuous unlawful activities and he also provided shelter to the key accused individuals before and after the crime.

The bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar, Dinesh Maheshwari and CT Ravikumar restored the KCOCA on an appeal filed by Lankesh’s sister, who assailed the High Court verdict.

Read Also: NCB visits Shah Rukh Khan’s Mannat, summons Ananya Panday for questioning

Senior Advocate Basava Prabhu S Patil appearing for the accused Mohan Nayak argues that his client had no role to play in the actual commission of the crime.

In other news, the Supreme Court on Thursday said that the farmers have the right to protest but the roads cannot be blocked indefinitely. The court also asked the farmers’ union to file their response on a petition seeking the removal of protesting farmers from the road.

India News

On completing nine years in office, Prime Minister Narendra Modi says he’ll continue to improve lives

The BJP has planned a special contact campaign across the country.

Published

on

On completing nine years in office, Prime Minister Narendra Modi says he'll continue to improve lives

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said his government, which completed nine years in office on May 30, will continue to take decisions to improve the lives of people like it had over the last nine years.

In a tweet, the PM said he was filled with humility and gratitude on the ninth anniversary of his government. He said he would continue to work harder towards the vision of a developed India.

The BJP has planned a special contact campaign across the country. The party said in a statement the country had seen unprecedented growth and development in every sector with the mantra of Nation First over the past nine years. It was due to the efforts of the government that the world was saying the 21st century belongs to India.

Comments on the tweet have not stopped coming in. One user said PM Modi’s vision had made India the fifth largest economy in the world. Many infrastructure projects had been pushed, toilet, gas and water connections were on the priority list of the Modi government. Article 370 had been revoked in Jammu & Kashmir and women had been empowered during the time.

Not to to be outdone, a critic of the government noted the Modi government had gifted India the highest unemployment rate, the highest cost of living and the highest debt. The user said women’s empowerment was hypocrisy as women wrestlers were being treated like criminals for protesting against the wrestling body chief, who continues to enjoy support of the Modi government.

But overall, the mood has been congratulatory with the odd critique here and there. On May 28, Prime Minister Modi inaugurated the new Parliament building while the Opposition boycotted it. He described the new Parliament as a temple of democracy, felicitated some workers involved in its construction.

The real test of the Modi government will come next year when the country will vote in the next Lok Sabha.

Continue Reading

India News

Please don’t go: Go Air ready to pay Rs 1 lakh more to pilots, Rs 50,000 more to first officers in retention effort

This retention allowance will be effective June 1. The offer will also be extended to those who had left the airline and willing to return, if they rescind their resignations before June 15.

Published

on

Please don't go: Go Air ready to pay Rs 1 lakh to pilots, Rs 50,000 to first officers in retention effort

Go Air, which filed for bankruptcy earlier this month, is taking the retention allowance route to prevent its employees from leaving en masse. It has announced an increase in salary of Rs 1 lakh a month for captains and half that for first officers to retain employees.

This retention allowance will be effective June 1. The offer will also be extended to those who had left the airline and willing to return, if they rescind their resignations before June 15.

Not just this, the company, which had undergone a rebranding exercise from Go Air to Go First a few years ago, will also offer a longevity bonus to staff who had served longer with the airline. Reports said Go Air Pilots get approx Rs 5,30,000 a month, which is much less when compared to pilots of Spice Jet, who draw Rs 7,50,000 a month since a double hike in their salaries in recent months.

With a month’s deadline from the airline industry regulator on revival plan submission, Go Air is pulling out all stops to present a working face. In its email sent to employees, the airline said it had put together a plan for progress and if everything goes as per plan, then it would not be too long before it would return to the skies that and would return to being regular on salary payments.

Staff from Go Air have plenty of options elsewhere since there has been a shortage of airline staff after the Coronavirus pandemic globally. For instance in India, India’s largest carrier IndiGo is looking to hire 5,000 workers in 2024 and Air India, under the ownership of the Tata Group, plans has some 4,200 cabin crew jobs and needs 900 pilots this year.      

Continue Reading

India News

How dare you disturb my sleep: Retired BSF man shoots at UP sanitation worker for playing Swachhta song, arrested

The accused has identified as Tauheed Ali, 48, a resident of Kanchan Park, Ghaziabad is a retired Border Security Force personnel, was later arrested by the police.

Published

on

How dare you disturb my sleep: Retired BSF man shoots at UP sanitation worker for playing Swachhta song, arrested

In an eerie turn of events, a man in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad allegedly shoots two sanitation workers over the disturbance of his sleep by the Swacchta song being played in their waste collection vehicle.

The incident took place on Sunday morning when the accused came out complaining disturbance from the song and fired several round on the cleaning staff.

The accused has identified as Tauheed Ali, 48, a resident of Kanchan Park, Ghaziabad is a retired Border Security Force personnel, was later arrested by the police.

An FIR under section 307(attempt to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered against Ali.

The victim have been identified as Rohit Kumar and co-driver Raj Kumar.

As per the police, the incident took place at around 7:30 am when a waste collection vehicle was passing by Ali’s house and the vehicle had two cleaning staff driver Rohit Kumar and Raj Kumar.  

Rohit said, Ali had earlier requested him to turn the song when the vehicle passes by his house.

Rohit said, when the vehicle was passing Ali’s house, he objected to it and after several attempts to explain him that turning off the jingle would prevent other residents from informing about the vehicle, he did not understood and  started abusing him and Raj.

He added, Ali then went inside his house and came back with a revolver in his hands to fire two rounds on them, on which they fled from the scene leaving the vehicle.

Assitant Commissioner of Police Rajneesh Kumar Upadhyaya said Ali used his licensed revolver and informed that the police will recommend to revoke his arms license.

ACP Upadhyaya said Ali to be a retired BSF man and he claimed disturbance from the song played by waste collection vehicle.

Swacchta song is a jingle usually played in every waste collection vehicle, it helps to alert the neighborhood to come out of their homes and throw garbage into it.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com