English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

India-China standoff: the rhetoric deteriorates

Published

on

India-China standoff: the rhetoric deteriorates

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]By Rajesh Sinha

A war of words has erupted between India and China over the standoff between their armies in Sikkim sector with a hardening of Chinese stance and its commentators not ruling out an armed conflict unless the situation is handled properly.

As the standoff at the Doklam area entered the third week, Chinese official media and think-tanks said that “war is possible if the conflict between India and China is not handled properly”. Calling India’s action in Sikkim a “betrayal”, China on Monday said it will take every action to safeguard its borders and countered Defence Minister Arun Jaitley’s remarks saying that China of 2017, like India, is also different from 1962. It warned, “China will take all necessary measures to safeguard its territorial sovereignty” and repeated that India pull back the soldiers who Beijing accuses of entering its territory on the other side of the Sikkim border.

India had rushed additional troops to the area that is witnessing a standoff between the two countries, to engage the Chinese army in a non-combative mode. Jaitley, responding to China’s oblique reference to the war the two countries had fought 55 years ago and asking India to learn from “historic lessons”, had said, “If they are trying to remind us, the situation in 1962 was different and India of 2017 is different.”

He had also held China responsible for the current standoff between Indian and Chinese troops in the Sikkim sector.

Responding to Jaitley’s remarks, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said, “He is right in saying that India in 2017 is different from 1962; just like India, China is also different.”

He said China’s border with India in Sikkim is well-demarcated and the Indian Army’s action there over the last month is a “betrayal” of the position taken by successive Indian governments. “Former Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru endorsed the 1890 Sino-British Treaty on Sikkim in a letter to the then Chinese counterpart Zhou Enlai in 1959. Successive Indian governments have also endorsed this,” Shuang said at a media briefing.

He said India needs to observe the Treaty and pull back troops immediately from Doklam. “I would like the Indian side to respect the 1890 treaty immediately and pull back the border troops which have crossed into Chinese territory back to the Indian side of the boundary. China will take all necessary measures to safeguard its territorial sovereignty,” he warned.

Geng accused India of using Bhutan as a cover up for its “illegal entry” into the Doklam area over which Bhutan has lodged a protest with the Chinese government.

“In order to cover up the illegal entry of the Indian border troops, to distort the fact and even at the expense of Bhutan’s independence and sovereignty, they try to confuse right from wrong, that is futile,” Geng said. He said China has “no objection to normal bilateral relations between India and Bhutan but firmly opposed to the Indian side infringing on Chinese territory using Bhutan as an excuse”.

Beijing made a formal protest last week, accusing Indian border guards of crossing from the north eastern state of Sikkim into its Tibetan territory to stop the road building. The new hotspot has emerged in a remote scrap of territory where the frontiers of China, India and Bhutan meet.

India said on Friday that China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops entered the area to unilaterally construct the road. “India is deeply concerned at the recent Chinese actions and has conveyed to the Chinese government that such construction would represent a significant change of status quo with serious security implications for India,” the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement. “India cherishes peace and tranquillity in the India-China border areas. It has not come easily,” it said, urging Beijing to resolve the skirmish through dialogue.

Bhutan also lodged a formal protest to China, saying the road violated a bilateral agreement. China insists that it has every right to build the road and that it controls the territory under an 1890 accord made with Britain when it was colonial power in the region.

Playing Chinese checkers with borders

A report in The Times of India quoted strategic affairs expert Brahma Chellaney, to say China is deliberately conflating two separate issues – the delineation of the tri-junction points and PLA’s forcible attempt to change status quo by building a strategic highway through the Doklam plateau.

To mount pressure on India and stake a maximalist position, Beijing has released, as Chellaney said, dubious maps laying claim to areas that are south of the tri-junction points as determined and perceived by India. It is through such constructions that Beijing alleges that Indian troops crossed over to the Chinese side. The attempt is to forcefully alter the ground positions to China’s advantage.

If India relents, it will keep losing control of areas and will also be seen to be letting down Bhutan, said the ToI report quoting a former official conversant with the dispute.

Moreover, as New Delhi pointed out last week, India and China reached an understanding on the Sikkim sector in 2012 to discuss and finalise the boundary’s demarcation under the Special Representatives framework. “In this context, for Beijing to cite an 1890 colonial-era agreement on Sikkim makes little sense other than to confound the real issue at stake. That colonial-era accord is of no direct relevance to China’s road building through Doklam,” Chellaney said.

The citing of the 1890 Sikkim-Tibet agreement is interesting as it coincides with the disdain expressed by Beijing for the 1984 Sino-British accord, which paved the way for Hong Kong’s handover in 1997, saying that it no longer had binding power.

A small State, Sikkim is of crucial strategic importance to India. Located between Nepal, Bhutan and China, it is at the head of a narrow stretch of land known as the “chicken’s neck” that links the north-eastern States to the rest of India. Of the 3,488-km-long India-China border from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh, a 220-km section falls in Sikkim.

In retaliation for the Indian army’s action, Beijing has blocked the entry of Indian pilgrims hoping to cross the Sikkim border to visit Mount Kailash in Tibet, which violates a two-year-old accord.

The Possible Context

The military stand-off at Sikkim comes amid emergence of other points of conflict.

China is blocking India’s efforts to become a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the international club that controls the global nuclear trade.

Delhi has also objected to the China Pakistan Economic Corridor that passes through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). India wants to keep Kashmir as a bilateral issue, but with the introduction of China and CPEC, it could become an international issue.

China also sees growing India-US ties with suspicion. A state-run daily said on Monday India’s objection to China building a road in the Sikkim sector ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the US was aimed at demonstrating to Washington its “firm determination” to “constrain” China’s rise. The article in the Global Times said: Modi took two measures to brace for his meeting with Trump. The first one was to seal a weapons deal with the US. For America, the weapons deal will not only reap enormous monetary gains from India but also strengthen India’s advantage in the Indo-Pacific region to check China.

“The other measure aimed to demonstrate to the US India’s firm determination to constrain China’s rise,” said the article written by Liu Zongyi, senior fellow of the state-run thinktank, the Shanghai Institutes for International Studies.

“For example, Indian troops crossed the undisputed Sikkim section of the China-India border and impeded Chinese workers from building roads a few days before Modi’s visit to the US,” it said on the ongoing standoff in Doklam.

In addition, the Indian government has started an anti-dumping probe into Chinese products, the article said, adding that the Modi administration sought US support at the cost of China-India ties and has taken a lead in containing China’s rise.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Lawrence Bishnoi’s brother claims credit for firing incident outside Salman Khan’s house

Published

on

Anmol Bishnoi, the brother of gangster Lawrence Bishnoi, is said to have accepted responsibility for shooting outside Salman Khan’s house on Sunday. Anmol, who is apparently hiding in the US and is wanted in India, allegedly posted on social media, calling the actor’s firing only a trailer and delivering a warning.

In his alleged facebook post, Anmol said, peace is what they seek. If the only decision against oppression is war, then so be it. He further said giving warning to Salman Khan that they have only shown you a trailer so that the actor can understand the magnitude of their strength and do not test it.

He continued saying, this is the first and last warning. After this, shots will not be fired outside the house only. He said that he h as kept two dogs whom he had named after named after Dawood Ibrahim and Chota Shakeel. He claimed that Salman Khan considers them as his Gods. Concluding the post Anmol said, he dosen’t have the habit of talking much.

This incident occurred when two unidentified guys riding bikes fired four rounds of gunshots outside Salman Khan’s Bandra residence in Mumbai early on Sunday morning. The incident occurred at roughly 4.51 am outside of Galaxy Apartments. However, no one was injured in the incident.

However, Salman Khan’s father, Salim Khan responded to the incident and said, that everything is gin and no one is injured.

As per the early investigation the bullets were fount in the balcony of Salman Khan’s house.

Meanwhile, the actor’s security has been stepped up and the police are closely monitoring the situation. The crime branch, local police and forensic teams visited the spot for further probe and recovered shells of bullets fired outside Khan’s house.

In addition, Salman Khan has been granted permission to carry a personal firearm for protection.

Continue Reading

India News

Gunshots fired outside Salman Khan’s Galaxy Apartment in Bandra, Mumbai Police investigates

A firing incident took place outside Salman Khan’s home in Bandra today, and investigation is currently underway.

Published

on

Early in the morning, gunshots were heard outside Salman Khan’s Bandra house. An unidentified person fired a gun into the air while riding a bike about five in the morning. Police are currently looking into the matter and conducting searches.

It has been reported that two men fired bullets outside Salman’s Galaxy Aparetment at around 5:00 am. A gunshot fire was found close to the air conditioner mounted on the wall beside it. An investigation has been launched by Mumbai Police to identify the gunman. The forensic team and the crime branch also arrived at the location.

However, there are currently no reports of injuries. The security around Salman Khan’s home has been inxcreased, according to the police. On the other side, the Bandra Police Station has received an official complaint (FIR) against unidentified attackers. DCP has also arrived at the location. Images of the two suspects who opened fire at Salman’s house on the bike appeared. In the images, the two accussed can be seen wearing helmets to prevent identification. Salman’s home has CCTV installed, and the image was taken using it.

This is not the first time that Salman Khan has been attacked or threatened. Several people have threatened to kill him. Gangster Lawrence Bishnoi had planned ahead of time to use his goons to attack the Bollywood actor. The man who was given the idea to kill Salman Khan is none other than Naresh Shetty, the mentor of mobster Kala Jathedi and the most important person in Bishnoi’s gang.

In addition, mobster Sampat Nehra had set up camp in Mumbai for a few days in order to attack Salman Khan. Not only that, but after escaping, infamous mobster Kala Jathedi also made Mumbai his home. At one point or another, all of these mob figures resided in Mumbai’s Vaasi area.

Meanwhile, on the occasion of Eid, Salman Khan frequently waves to his followers from the balcony of his first-floor Galaxy Apartment.

Continue Reading

India News

Lok Sabha elections 2024: BJP releases manifesto Sankalp Patra in presence of PM Modi, focuses on women, poor and youth

The BJP released its manifesto or Sankalp Patra, with tagline Modi ki Guarantee, for the Lok Sabha election 2024

Published

on

At the party headquarters in New Delhi on Sunday, April 14, the Bharatiya Janata Party unveiled their manifesto, or Sankalp Patra, for the Lok Sabha election of 2024, with the slogan Modi ki Guarantee. The manifesto was presented in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, party president JP Nadda, and other senior leaders.

The day marks on the anniversary of the birth of BR Ambedkar, a notable Dalit leader who drafted the Indian Constitution. A 27-member committee to draft the party’s manifesto, led by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, was constituted by the BJP and convened twice to discuss its contents. Ahead of this, the party conducted several campaigns on social media and sent out vans across the nation to get recommendations from the public.

The four pillars of Viksit Bharat—women power, youth power, farmers, and the poor—are the core of the manifesto, according to the prime minister. The PM said that the manifesto emphasizes both the quantity and quality of opportunities, as well as the dignity of life and quality of life.

According to the PM, the government will prioritize installing piped gas in every home and provide free solar-powered electricity.

A five-year extension of the Centre’s free ration system was promised in the manifesto. To stabilize prices and safeguard the plates of the impoverished, the government said it will concentrate on achieving self-sufficiency in the production of vegetables, edible oils, and pulses. It stated that every home will have access to drinking water and that the Ayushman Bharat scheme and the PMAwas Yojana would be increased.

As per the BJP manifesto, farmers would still receive Rs 6,000 in annual support, and the crop insurance program will be strengthened with the use of technology. According to the manifesto, the government will keep raising the minimum support price for crops on a regular basis, establish new clusters for the production of necessities, and construct more storage facilities.

JP Nadda, speaking to the media, outlined the accomplishments of the BJP government during its ten years in office. He restated that the central campaign slogan of the BJP, Modi ki guarantee, is a guarantee that all guarantees will be fulfilled.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com