English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

LAC Standoff: India and China agree to resolve border row, say existing situation impacting relationship

India and China have agreed that resolving the ongoing border row along the Line of Actual Control should be prioritised as the prolongation of the existing situation was not in the interest of either side.

Published

on

Chinese Foreign Minister with Indian Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar

After a meeting between Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi, the government on Wednesday said India and China have agreed that resolving the ongoing border row along the Line of Actual Control should be prioritised as the prolongation of the existing situation was not in the interest of either side. 

Referring to the border situation, the government added that it was visibly impacting the relationship in a negative manner.

An hour-long meeting between Jaishankar and Wang was held at the Foreign Ministers’ meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, an eight-nation regional grouping that primarily focuses on security and defence issues, in Tajikistan.  

Both of them discussed the issues along the LAC and agreed to call a meeting between senior military commanders from both sides. Taking to Twitter, Jaishankar said that a one-hour bilateral meeting with State Councillor and FM Wang Yi of China on the sidelines of the Dushanbe SCO Foreign Ministers meeting concluded. Their discussions focused on the outstanding issues along the LAC in the Western Sector, he wrote.

Jaishankar further stated that in the meeting, he highlighted that unilateral change of status quo is not acceptable. Also, full restoration and maintenance of peace and tranquillity in border areas are essential for the development of the ties. Both sides have agreed on convening an early meeting of the Senior Military Commanders, he concluded his post along with a photo of him shaking hands with his Chinese counterpart.

As per the statement by the government, the foreign minister has also pointed out to his counterpart that the successful disengagement in the Pangong lake area had created conditions for resolving the remaining issues. After that India expected that China would work towards this objective, but the situation in the remaining areas is still unresolved, he said.

Jaishankar also recalled their last meeting in Moscow in September 2020 and emphasised the need to follow through on the agreement reached then and complete the disengagement, resolving the remaining issues along the LAC in eastern Ladakh at the earliest.

Read Also: India raises concerns over attacks on Indians in South Africa as riots break out

Meanwhile, the clash between Indian and Chinese soldiers took place in eastern Ladakh’s Galwan Valley in June last year in which many lives were lost in the violent faceoff. In February this year, the militaries of both nations reached an agreement on disengagement in the north and south banks of Pangong lake that mandated both sides to cease forward deployment of troops in a phased, coordinated, and verifiable manner.

India News

Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah deletes post on reservation for Kannadigas in private sector after backlash from business community

the Cabinet meeting held yesterday approved a bill to make it mandatory to hire 100 per cent Kannadigas for C and D-grade posts in all private industries in the State.

Published

on

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Wednesday deleted his social media post on the reservation Bill, which reserves seats in groups C and D for Kannadigas only in the private sector, after backlash from the business community.

Announcing the Bill on X, Siddaramaiah said the Cabinet meeting held yesterday approved a bill to make it mandatory to hire 100 per cent Kannadigas for C and D-grade posts in all private industries in the State.

The post further read, “It is our government’s wish that the Kannadigas should avoid being deprived of jobs in the land of Kannada and should be given an opportunity to build a comfortable life in the motherland.” He said that his government is a pro-Kannada government and their priority is to look after the welfare of Kannadigas.

Later after criticism from industry leaders, the Kartnataka CM deleted the post and then shared another post in Kannada that talks about giving reservation of 50% for administrative posts and 75% for non-administrative posts for Kannadigas in private industries and other organizations of the State.

Speaking to the media, Labour Minister Santosh Lad said the government is trying to introduce a law to give preference to locally available skills. He added that at the management level, it has been decided to provide reservations to 50% of the people.

At the non-management level, it has been decided to provide work to 70%, he said. If a particular skill is not available, people can be outsourced and they can be given work here. But the Government is trying to bring in a law to give preference to locally available skills, the minister further added.

In response to the government’s announcement about the passage of the Bill, industry leaders and unions voiced concerns that it would impede industry growth by pushing away skilled workers not protected by the quota. Nasscom, the apex body for the technology industry in India, stated that the Bill was “deeply disturbing”.

Mohandas Pai, a Padma Shri Awardee and former CFO and Board Member at Infosys, also said that the government must focus on increasing jobs, training, and educating Kannada youth instead of driving away investment. Karnataka is India’s best state, adding that he said we should not destroy this. Pai termed the Bill as ‘discriminatory, regressive, and against the Constitution’ even as he attacked the ruling Congress for the decision.

Continue Reading

India News

Maharashtra sends controversial IAS trainee Puja Khedkar back to academy

Published

on

Trainee IAS officer Puja Khedkar, who has been the eye of the storm, has been asked by the Maharashtra Government to report back to the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie.

A letter from Maharashtra Additional Chief Secretary Nitin Gadre stated LBSNAA has suspended district training of Khedkar and has called her back for further necessary action. The letter said she has been relieved from the district training programme of the state government of Maharashtra and has been asked to join the academy by July 23 under any circumstances.

Khedkar had made it to the headlines for her alleged demands of a separate office and official car, besides using a beacon on her private luxury car without official sanction.

Earlier this month, a report regarding Khedkar and her father’s objectionable behaviour was sent by Pune District Collector Suhas Diwase to the state government.

Reports said Khedkar completed her MBBS and then appeared for the UPSC exams several times. According to her, she joined the IRS in 2019. In a later interview she said she could not join the IRS since there were some technical problems in the OBC allocation of her seat.

Thereafter, in November 2021, she applied and got appointed as the assistant director in the Sports Authority of India. She then appeared for the Civil Services Examination in 2021 and cleared the preliminary exam, the main examination, and the interview, securing the 821st rank.

However, she failed to present herself for a medical test to confirm disability claims of blindness and mental illness due to which she was getting benefits under the category of Persons with Benchmark Disabilities. Consequently, this persisted as a legal battle in Central Administrative Tribunal against UPSC.

Continue Reading

India News

Supreme Court issues notice to CBI, ED on Manish Sisodia bail plea

Published

on

Manish Sisodia

The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Directorate in connection with the bail pleas moved by former Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.

The Supreme Court’s decided to issue notice to the two agencies after arguments on Sisodia’s petitions for bail in two cases relating to alleged irregularities in the now-scrapped Delhi liquor policy. The court granted two weeks to the agencies to file their views.

“Views of agencies have to be heard before any decision is taken,” said Chief Justice DY Chandrachud, pointing at the seriousness of the charges slapped on Sisodia. The former Delhi Deputy CM has been under judicial remand since February 2023 over corruption and money laundering charges.

According to Sisodia’s counsel, the charges against him are politically motivated and lack enough evidence. The counsel had sought bail on medical grounds, to which the CBI or ED objected, saying his release might hamper the ongoing investigation into the case by influencing the witnesses or tampering with evidence.

According to the CBI and ED, Sisodia’s involvement in the liquor policy scheme was responsible for substantial state revenue loss and worked in favor of private liquor vendors.

Manish Sisodia, known for his transformational work in the field of education under the Delhi government, is not the only Aam Aadmi Party leader in jail. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Satyendar Jain are also behind bars. While Kejriwal is jailed in connection with the liquor policy case, Jain is in prison for corruption charges.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com