English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Multi-agency team to return to India without Mehul Choksi as Dominica court keeps him in country till July

The team had reportedly argued that Choksi should be repatriated to India on grounds that he remains a citizen of this country. Sources had said: Choksi is not a citizen of Dominica, so he cannot claim any fundamental rights on the island.

Published

on

Mehul Choksi

The multi-agency team tasked with bringing back the fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi from Dominica will return to Delhi without him at 11 pm as the Dominican High Court adjourned his habeas corpus petition to July and extended its order on removing him from that country.

The eight-member team including Enforcement Directorate officials and the head of the CBI’s Bank Securities and Frauds (Mumbai) division – had been sent to assist public prosecutors in Dominica.

The team had reportedly argued that Choksi should be repatriated to India on grounds that he remains a citizen of this country. Sources had said: Choksi is not a citizen of Dominica, so he cannot claim any fundamental rights on the island.

However, Choksi’s lawyer has said Dominica cannot send his client back to India since he is now a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda.

A Dominica Court on Thursday had rejected the bail application of fugitive businessman Mehul Choksi for illegally entering the island nation from Antigua. Choksi had gone missing in Antigua and Barbuda after which the local police had launched a manhunt to trace him. India’s most wanted fugitive in connection with the Punjab National Bank loan fraud case was captured from Dominica while trying to flee to Cuba from Antigua.

Choksi had submitted that he was allegedly kidnapped into the Island. He, however pleaded not guilty for the alleged crimes before the court.

Various non-nationals in Dominica are on bail for similar matters, so we are of the view that bail can be granted to our client. Let stringent conditions be added to the bail condition including a bail sum of $ 10,000 double the maximum penalty for illegal entry, Choksi’s lawyer, Vijay Aggarwal had argued in court.

The Dominica government contended that bail should not be granted to Choksi, who is wanted in India in an alleged ₹ 13,500 crore loan fraud case, as he is a flight risk.

Read Also: RBI keeps interest rates unchanged; cuts GDP growth forecast to 9.5 percent

Choksi and his nephew Nirav Modi are wanted in India for allegedly siphoning off  Rs 13,500 crore of public money from the state-run Punjab National Bank, using fake guarantees to secure overseas loans.

India News

Lok Sabha elections: BJP candidate Mukesh Dalal wins from Surat after opponents remain out of fray

BJP’s Surat Lok Sabha candidate Mukesh Dalal has won the seat unopposed

Published

on

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Mukesh Dalal is elected unopposed from Gujarat’s Surat Lok Sabha constituency after all other contenders withdrew their candidature.

Gujrat BJP chief CR Paatil took to hi social media account X, formerly Twitter, and congratulated Dalal for being elected unopposed.

This latest developmnet comes after the cancellation of two Congress candidates’ nominations on Sunday and the withdrawal of eight more on Monday.

The Congress candidate for the Surat Lok Sabha constituency, Nilesh Kumbhani, had his nomination form canceled since he was unable to produce even one of his three proposers before the election commissioner.

The differences in three proposers’ signatures on Kumbhani’s nomination form had drawn scrutiny from the BJP.

The Congress’s replacement candidate from Surat, Suresh Padsala, had his nomination form nullified as well, which eliminated the party from the race in the city.

Returning Officer Sourabh Pardhi issued an order stating that the four nomination forms that Kumbhani and Padsala had presented were refused because there were initially found differences in the proposers’ signatures, making them seem fake.

Pardhi’s order also mentioned that the proposers acknowledged having signed the forms themselves in their affidavits. It should be noted that Kumbhani’s three proposers were related to him.

Nilesh Kumbhani was given a day by the Returning Officer to submit his response following the proposers’ claim. The congressional candidate arrived at the polling place with his representative; however, none of his three proposers showed up.

According to the order, the Congress candidate’s attorney had requested that the camera tape be checked, and even their presence was not discovered.

Meanwhile, the Congress said that everyone was afraid of the government’s threat and accused the ruling BJP of being involved in dirty play.

Congress leader and activist Babu Mangukiya said that Kumbhani’s three proposers had been abducted, and he suggested that the Returning Officer look into this matter rather than the validity of the signed form.

According to Mangukiya, it was improper to cancel the form without first telechecking the signatures and determining whether or not the proposers’ signatures were accurate.

Continue Reading

India News

Arvind Kejriwal writes letter to Tihar Jail officials, asks for insulin daily

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, jailed in the now-scrapped liquor policy case, said he had been requesting insulin daily due to high blood sugar levels

Published

on

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who is a diabetic patient who filed a legal action alleging that Tihar Jail staff denied him the supply of  insulin for 31 days, has taken aim at the jail administration, charging them with alse statements and lying under political pressure (from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party).

According to sources, the Aam Aadmi Party chief, who is arrest by the Enforcement Directorate on March 21 in connection with an alleged Delhi liquor policy scam, wrote a letter to the superintendent of Tihar Jail after the jail set up a video conference with medical professionals from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), which is run by the central government. Jail officials said that the insulin supply had not been increased following the discussion.

The doctors assured Kejriwal that there is no serious concern, and they suggested him to continue with the prescribed medicines, which will be evaluated regularly, according to jail officials.

Kejriwal, however, views the situation differently.

The Delhi CM mentioned in his letter, that he read the Tihar administration’s statement in the press. After reading the statements, he was sad. In his letter, Kejriwal said, Tihar Jail’s two claims are false. He requests insulin every day. He told the jail authority that sugar levels are high after displaying the glucometer readings to them three times a day, he added.

He continued saying  that the values for sugar levels are between 250 and 320 mg/dl, and that he demandeds insulin almost every day. Then how the jail officials are claiming that he never brought up the topic of insulin?, the AAP leader said.

Kejriwal also mentioned the data of World Health Organization (WHO) which says, the expected values for normal fasting blood glucose concentration are between 70 and 100 mg/dL (or milligrams per decilitre).

AIIMS doctors never said there is nothing to worry about. They said they will respond after looking at the (medical) data and (patient) history, added the chief minister.

He is believed to have told the jail chief, the Tihar administration is lying under political pressure,in an effort to increase hostilities with the Centre, which he has accused of having a political vendetta, in the run-up to the May 25 Lok Sabha election in the national capital.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Ranveer Singh files FIR in viral Deepfake video case

The official spokesperson of Ranveer Singh has confirmed that anFIR has been lodged by the Cyber Crime Cell.

Published

on

Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh, who’s recent deepfake video went viral on the intenet, has filled a police complaint over it.  After Rashmika Mandanna, Alia Bhatt and Nora Fatehi’s deepfake videos went viral, there was a general outcry against the improper use of technology and the lack of sufficient legal protections that have allowed this dangerous application of artificial intelligence (AI) to proliferate.

In a recent development, Ranveer Singh’s official spokesman revealed that a FIR has been filed for the Cyber Crime Cell to conduct additional investigation in response to a police complaint made by Ranveer.

The spokesperson said in a statement, yes, they have filed the police complaint and FIR has been lodged against the handle that was promoting the AI-generated deepfake video of Ranveer Singh.

In an artificial intelligence (AI) produced deepfake video, the actor can be seen discussing politics. However, originally the video was from his recent trip to Varanasi, but the audio is a voice clone created using artificial intelligence.

The Band Baja Barat actor was seen in the video pleading with voters to support Nayay (justice) in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. It was eventually made clear, though, that the viral video had been altered and changed. In addition, Ranveer addressed the matter and issued a social media warning, writing on X, “Deepfake se bacho dostonnnn.”

Earlier this month, Bollywood actor Aamir Khan was seen endorsing a political party in another deepfake video that went viral on social media. Following widespread public interest in the video, Mumbai police acted and filed an FIR against an unidentified individual. Khan’s office filed a police report (FIR) at the Khar Police station, citing pertinent parts of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) such as 419 (impersonation), 420 (cheating), and other Information Technology Act sections.

Aamir Khan’s spokesperson then released a statement in which they made it clear that the widely circulated video was fake.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com