English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

NRC: Supreme Court extends deadline to Aug 31, rejects govt plea for sample re-verification

Published

on

NRC: Supreme Court extends deadline to Aug 31, rejects govt plea for sample re-verification

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Supreme Court today (Tuesday, July 23) extended the deadline for publication of the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) for Assam by a month to August 31. 

The apex court had fixed July 31 for publication of the final consolidated NRC.

The bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice RF Nariman, however, declined petitions by the Centre and the Assam government seeking time to conduct a “sample re-verification process” of the names in the districts bordering Bangladesh.

The top court bench said the report of NRC state coordinator Prateek Hajela pointed out that 27 per cent re-verification had already happened in the process of adjudication of fresh claims and objections.

Last week, the court told Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the state, that the report of Prateek Hajela indicated that almost 80 lakh names might have been automatically re-verified while hearing claims and objections based on the family tree approach. “This maybe even more than the 20 per cent re-verification that was being sought for,” the CJI told Mehta.

The Centre and the Assam government had urged the Supreme Court last week to extend the deadline, insisting that the authorities needed to tweak the processes for including the names of genuine citizens in the list. “India cannot be the refugee capital of the world,” the Centre’s counsel had told the top court.

Urging the court to allow sample re-verification, Mehta said that there is a “growing perception across the state that there are exclusions and inclusions, which are wrong”. The “exclusions are more”, he said, adding that this was happening mostly in the border districts, apparently due to local influences.

Meanwhile, seeking more time for publication of the final NRC, Hajela said although his public engagements were over, the prevailing flood situation was causing some difficulties. He also said that NRC officials would need some time to write the final orders.

Hajela further said a supplementary list of additional inclusions and final exclusions will be published on July 31 but one more month was needed to publish the final consolidated NRC.

The final draft NRC had left out 40 lakh applicants. Another 1 lakh, originally among the 2.89 crore included in that draft, were removed after subsequent verification.

However, the number is unlikely to remain at 41 lakh. There could be more deletions as objections have been filed against 2 lakh of the names included. There are likely be some additions, too. Of the 40 lakh excluded from the draft, 36 lakh have filed claims and some of them may have proved their citizenship with documents later.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Bihar IAS triggers outrage after her condom reference to girl’s demand for free sanitary pads | WATCH

After the video of the seminar went viral, social media users slammed the IAS for her condom reference to the valid question.

Published

on

Bihar IAS condom

A Bihar IAS officer triggered a massive social media outrage over her response to a girl’s demand for free sanitary napkins during a seminar in Sashakt Beti, Samriddh Bihar in the state capital Patna on Tuesday.

The managing director of Bihar’s Women Development Corporation and IAS, Harjot Kaur Bamhrah was asked by the girl if the government could provide free sanitary pads to girls as it is providing numerous other facilities for free.

Responding to the question, which got applauded by the audience, the IAS said today she asked for sanitary pads and in future, she will also ask the government for free condoms. She further questioned why people need everything for free and said ‘this mentality is incorrect.’

Read Also: Mother creates innovative bicycle seat for her child, desi jugad amazes tweeple

Watch the viral video here:

After the video of the seminar went viral, social media users slammed the IAS for her condom reference to the valid question.

One user wrote being an IAS officer the behaviour was insensible. Another user demanded the IAS termination from her position with immediate effect. Yet another user called her as shameless as present-day politicians.

Have a look at Twitter reactions here:

Following the incident, the National Commission for Women sought an explanation from Bamhrah for her remarks. NCW Chairperson Rekha Sharma wrote to Harjot Kaur and the reply must be communicated to the Commission within seven days.

Bihar’s Social Welfare Minister Madan Sahani also criticised the IAS remarks and said the officer should not have discouraged the girls.

Bamhrah on Wednesday responded to the criticism she has been facing online and claimed that there was a deliberate attempt to malign her during the seminar.

Speaking to NDTV, Bamhrah said she is known to be one of the most vociferous champions of women’s rights and empowerment and some mischievous elements against whom stringent actions have been taken by WCDC have now resorted such low attempts to malign her reputation.

Uttar Pradesh: 1 dead, 56 workers unconscious after ammonia leak in Aligarh meat factory | WATCH

Bihar IAS triggers outrage after her condom reference to girl’s demand for free sanitary pads | WATCH

Continue Reading

Bihar news

Bihar youth addicted to online gaming fakes own kidnapping, demands Rs 50,000 ransom from family | WATCH

After losing a lot of money in cricket betting on the online betting app, when Nandan did not understand anything, he planned to kidnap himself.

Published

on

Bihar youth addicted to online gaming

A bizarre incident has come to light in Bihar’s Bhagalpur, where a youth created a fake story of his kidnapping and then demanded a ransom from his family members. Believing the story to be true, his father reached the Ghogha Police Station and informed them about the incident. After losing a lot of money in cricket betting on the online betting app, when Nandan did not understand anything, he planned to kidnap himself.

Narrating the incident, his father told the police that his son, Nandan Kumar, went for a morning walk at around 4 am and didn’t return for a while. They tried calling him, but his phone was switched off. He further said that he then received a call from Nandan from an unknown number. Nandan told his father to transfer Rs 50,000 as a ransom amount as he was kidnapped by three people.

Read Also Bengaluru newlywed woman commits suicide after finding out about husband’s first marriage, daughter

Soon after, an alert was issued everywhere regarding the abduction of Nandan, a resident of NH 80-Phulkiya in the Ghogha police station area. After getting instructions from the senior police officer, prompt action was taken under the leadership of Kahalgaon SDPO Shivanand Singh. The police were conducting raids at suspicious places. Within two and a half hours of the complaint, the police safely found the allegedly abducted youth near the Mamalkha railway station.

The SHO of Ghogha police station, Mohd. Dilshad, SI Ajay Mishra, Jokhan Ram and Hareram Chaudhary, Kanhai Kumar of Rasalpur police station, and PSI Chandan Kumar of Sanhola police station took the matter into their hands.

During the interrogation, the youth told the officials that he created a fake story of three motorcyclists kidnapping him and blindfolding him to mislead the family members on the phone. On asking why he did this, Nandan told the police that he wanted the money for online gaming and that’s why he fabricated his kidnapping.

The officials said the youth is currently in police custody. Further action is being taken on this matter.

Bihar youth addicted to online gaming fakes own kidnapping, demands Rs 50,000 ransom from family | WATCH

Andhra Pradesh man tricked by in-laws to marry transgender, files complaint

Continue Reading

India News

Supreme Court says all women, married or unmarried, have right to safe and legal abortion

The Court held that the marital status of women cannot be ground to deprive them right to abort unwanted pregnancies.

Published

on

have right to safe and legal abortion

The Supreme Court of India on Thursday held that all women, irrespective of their marital status, have the right to safe and legal abortion. The Apex Court held that the marital status of women cannot be ground to deprive them right to abort unwanted pregnancies.

Under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, both single and unmarried women have the right to abort the foetus till 24 weeks of pregnancy.

A bench comprising Justice DY Chandrachud, Justice JB Pardiwala, and Justice AS Bopanna made the ground-breaking judgement. Justice Chandrachud said if Rule 3bc was to be interpreted that it applies to married women it would mean that unmarried does not involve in sex.

The bench also stressed recognising marital rape though purely within the ambit of abortion. The court said under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, the definition of rape must include marital rape.

Read Also: Viral: CCTV camera captures horrific road accident, traffic police reacts | WATCH

He further said the artificial distinction between married and unmarried women cannot be sustained.

Highlighting differences in circumstances, he said a woman in a situation of emergency or disaster may decide to have the child but it may also impact the choice of a woman who may think pregnancy is not viable to keep.

While talking about reproductive autonomy being closely linked to bodily autonomy, the Apex Court ruled that the right to choose contraception, the number of children and whether or not to abort have to be taken without the influence of social factors.

The ground-breaking judgement by the Supreme Court of India comes after the court allowed a pregnant unmarried woman to abort her 24-week foetus in July this year. The court had sought a report from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on safe abortion of the girl’s circumstance and directed the hospital to form a team of two experts to report on whether abortion is possible without harming the girl.

The girl moved to Supreme Court after the Delhi High Court refused to grant her permission to terminate the pregnancy that was 23 weeks.

VIRAL: Lucknow Bureaucrat breaks into tears while meeting mother of child injured in accident

Bengaluru newlywed woman commits suicide after finding out about husband’s first marriage, daughter

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com