English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Unfortunate remark: Rajnath Singh criticises Mamata Banerjee over CRPF convoy claim

Rajnath Singh termed Mamata Banerjee’s CRPF convoy claim “unfortunate” and defended central forces deployment in West Bengal ahead of elections.

Published

on

Rajnath Singh

Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday termed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s remarks on the movement of central forces as “unfortunate”, asserting that such deployments are routine during elections to ensure peaceful voting.

Speaking during an interaction while campaigning in West Bengal, Singh said paramilitary forces are sent to states during elections to maintain law and order and facilitate free and fair polling. He emphasised that the presence of these forces in the state is not unusual and has been a standard practice in previous elections as well.

The comment comes a day after Banerjee alleged that around 200 vehicles carrying central forces were heading to Bengal “from Uttar Pradesh via Ayodhya to attack voters”, triggering a political controversy.

Singh also defended the role of the Election Commission of India, calling it an autonomous institution. He said raising allegations against the poll body without basis was inappropriate.

The Trinamool Congress chief has been vocal in her criticism of the Election Commission, particularly over the ongoing voter roll revision exercise. She has claimed that the process is being carried out to remove supporters of her party ahead of the upcoming assembly elections.

Addressing a rally in Nadia district, Banerjee had urged people not to be afraid, describing the situation as a temporary political strategy that would eventually be exposed.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission has maintained that its objective is to ensure “fear-free, peaceful, and fair elections”. It has deployed nearly 2.4 lakh Central Armed Police Forces personnel across West Bengal — one of the largest such deployments in recent years.

Responding to allegations of political polarisation, Singh said the Bharatiya Janata Party does not engage in politics based on religion. He accused opposition parties, including the Trinamool Congress and Congress, of attempting to divide voters on religious lines.

During a roadshow in Barrackpore, Singh expressed confidence in the BJP’s electoral prospects, stating that public support indicated a potential change in government in the state.

India News

Cockroach Janata Party X handle withheld in India, founder launches new digital platform

The satirical digital campaign, Cockroach Janata Party, saw its official X handle withheld in India following a legal demand, prompting its founder to immediately launch a new alternative profile.

Published

on

The official X (formerly Twitter) account of the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP), a satirical digital movement that took social media by storm, was withheld in India on Thursday. According to the microblogging platform, the profile was restricted “in response to a legal demand.”

Responding to the development, the platform’s founder, Abhijeet Dipke, launched a new alternative handle on X within hours, titled ‘Cockroach is Back’, using the tagline ‘Cockroaches Don’t Die’.

Sparked by controversial remarks

The online campaign emerged on May 16, 2026, as a satirical response to an oral observation made by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant during a Supreme Court hearing a day prior. The Chief Justice had reportedly compared unemployed youth to “cockroaches” and “parasites of society,” criticizing those who enter activism or media spaces to attack institutions. Although the Chief Justice later issued a strongly worded clarification stating his comments were misquoted and targeted individuals using fake and bogus professional degrees, the remark had already triggered a massive viral movement online.

The satirical group quickly grew a substantial presence across various social media platforms. Before being withheld, the original X handle had acquired over 201,000 followers, attracting support from digital users, activists, and politicians alike.

Founder calls action a ‘self-goal’

Abhijeet Dipke, a 30-year-old political communication strategist who founded the movement, expressed little surprise over the restriction. Dipke stated that hacking attempts had been observed on their profiles prior to the restriction.

“This action was expected since there were attempts to hack the account yesterday. But this is a self-goal by the government,” Dipke told media. He further alleged that the rapid growth of the handle and the underlying movement might have caused apprehension within administrative circles. The group plans to pursue the matter through legal channels.

Despite the restriction on X within Indian jurisdiction, the movement’s Instagram account remains active, where it has reportedly accumulated significant digital traction. Meanwhile, the newly launched alternative X profile, ‘Cockroach is Back’, rapidly drew tens of thousands of followers within just a few hours of its creation.

Continue Reading

India News

Jammu Kashmir terrorist mastermind shot dead in Muzaffarabad

Highly wanted Al-Badr operational commander Arjamand Gulzar alias Burhan Hamza was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Muzaffarabad, marking another massive setback for cross-border terror structures.

Published

on

In an ongoing series of mysterious hits targeting high-profile terrorists, a prominent operational chief of the banned terror outfit Al-Badr has been eliminated in Pakistan-Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK). Arjamand Gulzar, who went by the alias Burhan Hamza, was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Muzaffarabad. He was heavily sought after by Indian security agencies for running an extensive terror network across Jammu and Kashmir.

According to security confirmations, Hamza played an active role in driving anti-India activities and was heavily involved in radicalising local youths, primarily across South Kashmir. His death marks another critical disruption for outfits attempting to reactivate cross-border terror channels into the Valley.

From Pulwama to the operational ranks of Al-Badr

A native of Ratnipora village located in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district, Gulzar crossed over to Pakistan around seven years ago, where he subsequently aligned himself with the Al-Badr group. Over the years, he quickly scaled the ranks to become its core operational commander, steering logistics that included recruitment, financial streams, and smuggling weapon consignments into Kashmir.

Recognising the severe security threat he posed, the Ministry of Home Affairs had officially designated him as a terrorist in 2022. He was placed prominently on the most-wanted lists due to his sustained orchestrations of violence in Pulwama and neighbouring south Kashmir areas.

Orchestrator of digital radicalisation

Security officials highlighted that Gulzar operated much like previous neutralised figures such as Burhan Wani, heavily leaning on digital radicalisation. He exploited social media ecosystems and localized networks to pull impressionable youth into terror folds.

His operations spanned strategically sensitive zones including Pulwama, Awantipora, and Shopian. Operating securely from bases across the border, he synchronized actions with ground-level overground workers (OGWs) to distribute finances, transfer operational commands, and channel arms. Investigators had previously tied his name to multiple security offenses involving grenade offensives, terror recruitment drives, and explosive cache recoveries.

Ongoing wave of targeted hits on terror leaders

Media reports state that this assassination adds to a broader pattern observed since 2023, where more than 50 elite commanders affiliated with prominent terror factions like Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), and Hizbul Mujahideen have been systematically gunned down by unknown attackers across Pakistan and PoJK.

Just last month, a notable Lashkar-e-Taiba commander identified as Sheikh Yousuf Afridi—who shared close operational ties with Hafiz Saeed—was shot dead by mystery gunmen who fired multiple rounds at him in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. Prior to that incident in March, another key LeT founding figure, Amir Hamza, survived an assassination attempt when an unidentified gunman fired at him outside a television station in Lahore.

Continue Reading

India News

Calcutta High Court orders fresh probe into RG Kar rape-murder case

The Calcutta High Court has ordered a fresh probe into the 2024 RG Kar rape and murder case, setting up a three-member CBI Special Investigation Team to look into allegations of evidence tampering and cover-up attempts.

Published

on

The Calcutta High Court on Thursday directed a fresh investigation into the 2024 RG Kar Medical College and Hospital rape and murder case. The new probe will specifically look into allegations regarding the destruction of evidence and attempts to downplay the horrific incident.

Special investigation team to probe evidence tampering

A division bench comprising Justices Shampa Sarkar and Tirthankar Ghosh ordered the formation of a three-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) under the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The high court directed that the team will be led by the CBI Joint Director (Eastern Zone). The remaining two members of the specialized team are to be finalized within the next 48 hours.

The court has ordered the SIT to thoroughly examine the sequence of events starting from the time the victim had her dinner on the night of August 9, 2024, up until her cremation. This directive comes in response to serious allegations raised by the victim’s parents, who claim that crucial evidence was tampered with and that systematic attempts were made to hush up the matter. Given the immense social ramifications of the case, the bench emphasized the necessity of investigating these claims of a cover-up.

Complete freedom granted to investigators

The newly formed SIT has been given full liberty by the high court to interrogate any individual deemed necessary to uncover the truth. The central agency is required to submit its detailed investigation report to the court by June 25, which is when the matter is scheduled to be heard next.

The initial tragedy, which involved the brutal rape and murder of the young postgraduate trainee doctor inside the seminar room of the state-run hospital, triggered widespread outrage across the country. While a civic volunteer named Sanjay Roy was previously arrested by the police and subsequently sentenced to life imprisonment for the crime, the victim’s parents approached the court seeking a deeper investigation. In their petition, they contended that more than one individual was involved in the heinous offense.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com