English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Salman Khan gets 5-year jail in blackbuck poaching case; others acquitted

Published

on

Salman Khan gets 5-year jail in blackbuck poaching case; others acquitted

A trial court in Jodhpur on Thursday, April 5, convicted Bollywood star Salman Khan in the 1998 blackbuck poaching case and sentenced him to five years in jail.

Other accused in the case, including film stars Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre, Neelam and Tabu, were let off by the court due to lack of strong evidence against them. A fifth person, Dushyant Singh, a local who was allegedly accompanying the actors when the poaching took place, has also been acquitted, Mahipal Bishnoi, the prosecution counsel, said, according to a report in The India Express.

The actor’s lawyers will now approach the Rajasthan High Court for bail in the case, the IE report said. An earlier report said Salman’s lawyers had moved bail application in sessions court. For now, however, Salman Khan would be taken to Jodhpur Central Jail and would have to spend time till he gets bail.

Jodhpur District Presiding Officer Devkumar Khatri pronounced Salman guilty of killing two blackbucks, which are an endangered species, on October 1, 1998 during a hunting expedition near Jodhpur, Rajasthan. A penalty of Rs 10,000 has also been levied on him.

Co-accused Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre, Neelam and Tabu were present in court during pronouncement of the verdict. There are two other accused in the case — travel agent Dushyant Singh and Dinesh Gawre, Salman’s assistant at the time. Gawre is still absconding.

The Bishnoi Sabha, a community committed to protect the blackbucks, has decided to appeal against other acquittals.

News agency ANI quoted Rampal Bhawad, the State President of Bishnoi Tigers Vanya Evam Paryavaran Sanstha, as saying that an immediate appeal will be filed over the acquittals of Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre, Tabu and Neelam Kothari. “We’ll analyse the judgment. We want an immediate appeal to be filed against those who have been acquitted and we also demand maximum punishment for Salman Khan,” he said.

The actors are accused of killing two blackbucks in Kankani village near Jodhpur on the intervening night of October 1 and 2, 1998. The actors were in the city for the shooting of the film ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’.

Salman, 52, had earlier pleaded innocence in the case, claiming before the court that the blackbuck died of “natural causes” and he was being “framed”.

Salman is facing charges under Section 51 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act and the other actors have been charged under Section 51 read with Section 149 (unlawful assembly) of the Indian Penal Code. Maximum punishment under Section 51 is six years.

HM Saraswat, the defence counsel for Salman Khan, said there are many loopholes in the prosecution’s case and the prosecution has failed to prove the case beyond any doubt.

“Prosecution has failed to prove allegations against the accused and has engaged in tampering and fabricating evidences and documents as well as roping in fake witnesses to prove the case. It has even failed to prove that black bucks were killed by gunshots. Hence such investigation cannot be trusted upon,” Saraswat said during final arguments on March 28.

This is last of the three poaching cases against Salman from 1998 that is being heard at Jodhpur trial court.

The actor was earlier convicted and sentenced to prison in two of three poaching cases by a trial court. The two cases were related to poaching Chinkara, while the third and last case decided today was to do with blackbuck.

Two separate cases had been registered against the actor under section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act, for poaching of two chinkaras in Bhawad village on September 26-27, 1998, and one chinkara in the Mathania area on September 28-29, 1998.

The trial court had convicted Salman Khan in both the cases, sentencing him to one year and five years in prison on February 17, 2006, and April 10, 2006, respectively. The convictions were finally overturned by the Rajasthan High Court which acquitted the actor.

India News

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill rejected by President, CM Stalin calls it insult to federalism

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill has been rejected by the Centre. CM Stalin criticises the move, calls for an all-party meet, and vows legal recourse.

Published

on

Mk Stalin on NEET exemption bill

In a major blow to Tamil Nadu’s prolonged campaign against the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), the union government has rejected the state’s NEET exemption bill. The bill, passed by the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly twice — in 2021 and 2022 — sought to permit medical admissions based on Class 12 marks instead of the centralised NEET exam.

Chief Minister MK Stalin informed the Assembly on Friday that President Droupadi Murmu has turned down the bill, calling it an “insult” to the southern state and a setback for federal values.

Stalin slams Centre, calls for all-party meet

Responding to the rejection, Stalin criticised the Centre’s stance and labelled the move a “black phase in federalism.” He asserted that the Tamil Nadu government had provided all required clarifications on the bill but the Centre “chose to reject it” regardless.

Stalin announced that an all-party meeting of MLAs will be convened on April 9 to decide on further action. “The union government may have rejected our request, but our struggle is far from over,” he said, adding that the state would explore legal avenues to challenge the decision.

Social justice at the heart of Tamil Nadu’s demand

Tamil Nadu’s opposition to NEET has been rooted in concerns over equity and access. The state government argues that the centralised exam favours students from affluent families who can afford private coaching, thus widening the inequality in medical education.

Instead, Tamil Nadu has advocated for admissions based on Class 12 marks, which it believes is a more equitable approach ensuring social justice.

NEET under scrutiny across states

The controversy around NEET extends beyond Tamil Nadu. Last year, West Bengal passed a resolution opposing the centralised exam. Several national opposition leaders, including Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD’s Tejashwi Yadav, have also criticised the NEET system, especially in the wake of exam paper leak allegations and student suicides linked to the intense pressure surrounding the test.

Though the Supreme Court dismissed pleas for re-tests, citing no breach of exam sanctity, calls for reform in the NEET structure have been growing louder.

Continue Reading

India News

Bokaro Steel Plant CGM arrested after CISF action leaves one dead, political outrage sparks demand for probe

A protest at Bokaro Steel Plant over employment demands turned tragic after a fatal lathi charge. The plant’s CGM was arrested and compensation has been announced.

Published

on

Jharkhand protest

A senior official of Jharkhand’s Bokaro Steel Plant was arrested after a protest demanding employment turned tragic on Thursday, leaving one dead.

The incident occurred when CISF personnel, responsible for plant security, allegedly resorted to a lathi charge to disperse the demonstrators from the ‘BSL Visthapit Apprentice Sangh’.

The deceased, a 26-year-old man, succumbed to injuries sustained during the clash near the administrative building of the plant. The protestors had gathered to press for employment opportunities for displaced individuals.

CGM held accountable, ex-gratia compensation announced

Following the fatal incident, Bokaro Deputy Commissioner Jadhav Vijaya Narayan Rao held the Chief General Manager (CGM) of the plant responsible for the death. The CGM was subsequently arrested, as confirmed by an official statement from the district administration.

In response to the public outrage, Bokaro Steel Plant announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 20 lakh for the family of the deceased. Additionally, a promise of employment for one of the family members has also been made.

Clashes during protest turn violent

According to police, the demonstration was organized under the banner of ‘BSL Visthapit Apprentice Sangh’ near the plant’s administrative office. The protest was initially peaceful, demanding employment assurances. However, tensions escalated when the CISF, allegedly trying to disperse the crowd, used batons on the agitators.

A CISF official stated that some personnel were injured after being attacked with stones and sticks by protestors. Four CISF members reportedly sustained injuries during the confrontation.

Political parties demand action and probe

The incident has sparked political outrage across the state. On Friday, members of political outfits like the AJSU Party and JLKM held demonstrations in Bokaro condemning the lathi charge. Jharkhand BJP President Babulal Marandi demanded a detailed inquiry into the matter and urged the state government to take stringent action against the Bokaro administration and BSL management.

Continue Reading

India News

AIIMS theft case cracked: Woman posed as doctor to steal jewellery, arrested in Ghaziabad

A 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad has been arrested for posing as a doctor and stealing jewellery from AIIMS hostel rooms. CCTV and scooter tracking led to her arrest.

Published

on

AIIMS theft case

Delhi Police have arrested a 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad who allegedly posed as a doctor to steal jewellery and cash from rooms in the AIIMS women doctors’ hostel. The arrest followed the investigation of a March 27 theft complaint lodged by a woman doctor at the premier hospital.

The complainant reported that several valuables were missing from her room, including two gold chains, a gold ring, a pair of earrings, a bracelet, Rs 4,500 in cash and 522 Malaysian ringgits, approximately Rs 10,000 in value. The police launched a probe and registered an FIR.

Caught on CCTV, tracked by scooter registration

During the investigation, police scanned footage from nearly 100 CCTV cameras around the AIIMS premises. A woman in a doctor’s white coat was spotted moving through hostel corridors, attempting to open multiple room doors while most residents were away at work. Surveillance footage also showed her arriving and leaving the hospital compound on a scooter.

By tracking the scooter’s registration number, police traced the accused to Brij Vihar in Ghaziabad, where she was taken into custody.

Lab technician turned thief

According to police, the woman is a science graduate with a diploma in medical lab technology and previously worked as a lab assistant at a private hospital. During questioning, she admitted to having a deep love for jewellery, which she could never afford. This obsession, she said, eventually led her to theft.

She told investigators that she observed women doctors at AIIMS often left their hostel rooms unlocked, making it easier for her to commit the thefts. To avoid suspicion, she wore a doctor’s coat while entering the premises, blending in seamlessly with hospital staff.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com