Assam has provided one-time financial assistance of Rs. 15,000 each to 96,842 flood-affected families, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Monday as the state began a detailed assessment of damage caused by the floods.
Sarma announced the figures at a press conference at the Media Hall of Lok Sewa Bhawan in Dispur after financial assistance was released to another 31,991 families across four affected districts.
The state government has spent Rs. 146.26 crore on the assistance distributed so far. Sarma said the beneficiary list was still being prepared and around 3,000 additional families could receive assistance in the next phase.
“We want the affected families to have some cash in hand when they return home after the flood. This assistance is meant to help them settle back and meet their immediate needs,” Sarma said.
Assam begins detailed flood damage assessment
The state government has now shifted its focus to assessing the extent of the damage caused by the floods. A rapid survey is being conducted across affected areas with the assistance of 1,144 teachers.
Preliminary findings show that 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged. Losses involving handloom-related raw materials have also been reported.
The assessment has so far covered around 5.98 lakh pets and domestic animals. Meanwhile, the survey of agricultural and fisheries losses is still underway.
Officials have identified 99,256 farmers who have suffered crop or other agriculture-related losses.
Sarma said the first phase of the survey is expected to be completed by August 28 or 29. The findings will subsequently be uploaded to a web portal, where affected residents will be able to check the information recorded against their names.
The portal will also allow people to raise objections if they have been excluded from the beneficiary list or if the damage recorded does not reflect their actual losses.
Second verification round planned in September
The government plans to begin a second round of verification around September 1 or 2. The process is expected to continue until September 10 or 11, with the revised list likely to be made public around September 15 or 16.
Sarma said unresolved complaints could lead to another field verification.
“If there is a complaint for the third consecutive time, we are ready to conduct a third survey. Our aim is to complete the survey and provide financial assistance by October 9 or 10,” he said.
If another verification round is not required, the government expects to complete the process by the end of September, he added.
The damage recorded on the assessment portal has so far been estimated at around Rs. 480 crore for houses and other properties. The figure, however, is expected to change as the survey progresses.
Rehabilitation plans for worst-hit areas
The Assam government is also considering longer-term rehabilitation measures for some of the worst-affected areas in Sivasagar and Charaideo.
Sarma said the state government had discussed the possibility of providing houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana to eligible families in the two districts with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
“We are trying not just to provide immediate relief but to give a strong and lasting solution to the affected people,” Sarma said.
Restoration work has begun at several damaged schools, roads, naamghars and health facilities. Health and veterinary teams are also continuing camps in flood-affected areas.
Ex-gratia, loan moratorium and insurance claims
The government is separately working on ex-gratia payments of Rs. 9 lakh to the next of kin of people who died in the floods, Sarma said.
On financial relief for borrowers, he said 1,712 affected people had so far applied for a moratorium on bank loans. Eligible borrowers have been asked to submit their applications by August 31.
“There are still many people who have not applied for the moratorium. I appeal to all affected people who are eligible to apply before August 31,” he said.
Insurance claims are also being processed. According to the Chief Minister, 1,598 claims have been received so far, of which 170 have already been settled and the payments released.
Sarma urged flood-affected people with insurance coverage to approach their respective insurance companies and submit claims for losses suffered during the floods.
The immediate priority, according to the Chief Minister, is to complete the damage assessment, give affected people an opportunity to challenge the findings and finish the compensation process for eligible families.