English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Nitish Kumar Quits as Bihar CM, says it had become difficult to function

Published

on

Nitish Kumar Quits as Bihar CM

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar quit as Bihar Chief Minister on Wednesday evening following a weeks-long tussle with alliance partner Lalu Prasad-led RJD over corruption charges against Deputy CM and Lalu Prasad’s son Tejashvi Yadav.

Nitish Kumar had been saying that Tejashwi Yadav should come clean on the charges levelled in the case against him and explain his stand to the public. Tejashwi’s resignation was being talked about as a way out. Nitish Kumar had not asked for the resignation, though.

Earlier in the day, Tejashwi and his father, political veteran Lalu Yadav, said that the 28-year-old will not quit as Deputy Chief Minister over what they claimed was a fake case filed against him by the CBI.

Nitish Kumar’s surprise move appears to be intended to check-mate Lalu Prasad.

The decision to quit was reportedly taken by Kumar at a meeting of JDU MLAs on Wednesday evening.

Talking to media after his resignation, Kumar said his decision to step down in the interest of Bihar. “Ever since the corruption charges were levelled against RJD leaders, we have been asking them to at least explain those charges. We also met Tejashwi and told him that the image that is being created, he should clarify all that. But this did not happen. The situation got so bad that it became difficult for me to work,” said Kumar.

“We had followed the Gathbandhan Dharma and had tried to protect it. But now my conscience does not allow me to continue,” the wily politician added.

Kumar said that he had spoken to Congress leaders including Rahul Gandhi on the matter. “There are many Congress leaders in Bihar. We also asked them to find a solution to all this. So now I have decided to keep myself away,” he said.

[/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text]This evening, Kumar met with Bihar Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi to deliver his resignation. Through the day, events pointed to a climax of the political drama that has raged in Bihar for weeks. The Governor reportedly changed his travel plans to stay back for the meeting requested by the Chief Minister. Lalu Yadav, due to fly to Ranchi for a court appearance tomorrow, decided to drive there instead of flying, which allowed him to remain in Patna for a few extra hours at a crucial time.

Nitish Kumar’s resignation brings to an end the two-year-long political experiment that was branded as a game-changing Maha-gathbandhan or Grand Alliance that included his party, Lalu Yadav and the Congress.

A new political arrangement could likely emerge now. BJP’s top leaders were meeting in Delhi to decide on whether they will back him. The Bihar branch had said weeks ago that it was willing to lend external support to keep Nitish Kumar in office without participating in his government.

Nitish Kumar’s stance on some of the issues had sparked speculation about his “tilt” towards Narendra Modi-led BJP. His support to demonetisation and backing Ram Nath Kovind in presidential elections were two prominent instances. His front row seat at Kovind’s oath-taking ceremony and BJP president Amit Shah’s personal greeting to him also evoked comment.

His resignation, if it eventually results in his going over to the other camp, is a set back to the attempt of the opposition parties to build a grand alliance against the Narendra Modi-led BJP for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

MK Stalin announces major DMK organisational Changes in Tamil Nadu

MK Stalin has announced a major DMK organisational overhaul, introducing age and term limits and expanding party districts from 77 to 110.

Published

on

DMK chief MK Stalin has announced a major overhaul of the party’s organisational structure, months after the party lost the Tamil Nadu assembly election.

Acknowledging the defeat, Stalin said the party must openly recognise its mistakes. He also pointed to the functioning of party office-bearers as one of the factors behind the electoral loss.

“Although there are several reasons for our defeat, the functioning of our party office-bearers is also one of them,” Stalin said, stressing that the party must acknowledge its shortcomings and ensure better performance at every level.

Stalin also described the DMK as a “specialist” in making comebacks and said the party would return stronger.

Age and term limits for party posts

Among the major changes announced by Stalin are age and tenure limits for party positions.

Stalin said the changes would involve a significant restructuring of the DMK’s administrative system, with priority being given to new faces. He said the measures were intended to make the party sustainable for the next 100 years and help restore the trust of young people and women.

Under the new rules, branch secretaries must be aged 45 or below and can hold the position for a maximum of two terms.

District secretaries, meanwhile, must be below 70 years of age and can serve for a maximum of three terms.

DMK to increase party districts from 77 to 110

The DMK executive committee has approved increasing the number of party districts from 77 to 110.

The expansion will be implemented as part of the party’s 16th organisational elections. Revenue districts will generally be reorganised so that each party district covers two assembly constituencies.

Where only one constituency remains after the reorganisation, it will be attached to another suitable party district within the same revenue district as a third constituency.

Stalin has been authorised to determine and announce the constituencies that will form the 110 party districts.

New branch structure planned in urban areas

The DMK will also introduce a new branch-level structure in urban areas, along with the post of branch secretary.

The new system will initially be implemented in Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Tiruchirappalli and Salem. It may subsequently be extended to other corporations.

Once the new party districts are announced, district executive committees will have to meet and establish the union, city, area, town, ward and branch-level units within 15 days.

The organisational changes come as the DMK seeks to restructure its party machinery and prepare for its political comeback following its assembly election defeat.

Continue Reading

India News

PM Modi says India’s political stability makes India a bright spot for growth

PM Modi said India’s political stability and policy continuity are helping make the country a bright spot of growth amid global concerns.

Published

on

Narendra Modi 12345

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said India has political stability and continuity in its policies, describing the country as a bright spot of growth and hope amid global concerns over economic growth.

Addressing the Economic Times World Leaders Forum, PM Modi said India is continuing to push reforms across sectors to maintain its growth momentum. He said reforms remain a key commitment of his government.

The Prime Minister said the NDA government has a clear roadmap for reforms, with a strong focus on governance. He also said the government is using incentives to encourage higher production.

PM Modi highlights shift in regulatory approach

PM Modi said his government is changing the country’s regulatory framework and moving away from what he described as a “prohibited-unless-permitted” approach.

He said the government believes there should be no regulation for an activity that has not been explicitly prohibited under law. According to him, the aim is to bring next-generation reforms at the policy and governance levels while improving ease of living.

He also contrasted the current Production Linked Incentive (PLI) model with what he described as a “Production Linked Punishment” approach followed by previous governments.

Focus on infrastructure and manufacturing

PM Modi cited changes in areas including the Indian Railways, Delhi Metro and Namo Rapid Rail as examples of reforms reflecting India’s changing needs.

He also said the government has changed the approach towards border infrastructure, which he described as a strength rather than a weakness.

The Prime Minister further highlighted India’s affordable data services and domestic mobile-phone manufacturing while discussing the country’s economic transformation.

India seen as a growth bright spot

PM Modi said the world is facing several concerns related to growth, including the weaponisation of resources, but India is being viewed as a bright spot of growth.

He said India’s political stability, policy continuity and reform efforts are helping sustain the country’s growth momentum.

Continue Reading

India News

Jharkhand students, JMM workers clash over Hemant Soren effigy burning

Clashes broke out in Ranchi, Hazaribag and Giridih as protesting students attempted to burn effigies of Hemant Soren and Rahul Gandhi.

Published

on

Clashes broke out between protesting students and police in Ranchi and several other parts of Jharkhand on Friday evening as students attempted to burn effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, officials said.

Similar incidents were reported in Hazaribag and Giridih, where workers of the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) clashed with students who were trying to burn effigies of Soren.

The protesting students are affiliated with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch. They have accused the Jharkhand government of deceiving and betraying job aspirants following the High Court’s intervention in cases concerning recruitment examinations and appointments.

In Ranchi, a large number of students gathered at Albert Chowk to burn the effigies. Police said a scuffle broke out when they tried to control the situation.

Ranchi DSP KV Raman said the protesters changed the designated route of their march and went towards the JPSC office, where traffic was brought to a halt.

According to Raman, police repeatedly asked the protesters to follow the designated route for the march and effigy burning, but the students did not comply.

Student leaders, however, alleged that police and JMM workers attempted to prevent them from holding a peaceful march.

“They cannot stop us from holding peaceful and democratic protests,” JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said.

Another student leader, Piyush Kumar Singh, alleged that a core committee member of the Manch, Kunal, was detained by police. He claimed that Kunal fainted and was subsequently taken to Sadar Hospital.

The protesters also alleged that female participants were assaulted by JMM workers during the scuffle.

Why are Jharkhand students protesting?

The students had earlier called off their agitation after the Hemant Soren government decided to cancel JPSC examinations where irregularities had been alleged.

However, the Jharkhand High Court subsequently intervened in several matters related to the recruitment process.

On Friday, the court stayed notifications cancelling the appointments of Child Development Project Officers (CDPOs) and those recruited through the JSSC-CGL examination.

A day earlier, the court had stayed notifications cancelling the 11th and 13th JPSC examinations. It had also stayed the order cancelling the appointments of food safety officers.

The developments have renewed the students’ concerns over the government’s handling of recruitment-related cases.

JLKM announces recruitment reforms yatra

Meanwhile, JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto announced that his party would launch a ‘Recruitment System Reforms Yatra’ from August 24.

Mahto alleged that the Jharkhand government was not strongly defending cases concerning the cancellation of several recruitment examinations before the High Court.

He warned that if the government failed to effectively present its case before the Jharkhand High Court on September 15, when the matters are scheduled for hearing, they would plan to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com