English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

Monsoon session: Uproar over Rafale deal, Congress demands JPC probe

Published

on

Monsoon session: Uproar over Rafale deal, Congress demands JPC probe

Opposition parties on the last day of Parliament’s monsoon session raised the issue of alleged scam in Rafale deal and demanded answers from the Narendra Modi government, asking for a probe by a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) into the matter.

UPA chairperson and former Congress president Sonia Gandhi led a protest over the issue in front of Mahatma Gandhi’s statute in Parliament complex. Opposition leaders, including Raj Babbar, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Anand Sharma, Ambika Soni, CPI’s D Raja, AAP’s Sushil Gupta among others were seen holding placards that said, “We demand JPC”, “Modi Corruption Exposed”, Rafale Cover-Up Out In the Open”

The Opposition MPs raised slogans in Lok Sabha seeking to establish a JPC to investigate the alleged irregularities in the Rafale deal.

In Rajya Sabha, Congress members sought a discussion on the issue suspending the legislative business.

“This is the biggest scam of the world. We are demanding the formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to investigate the Rafale deal,” Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said in the Rajya Sabha.

Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Vijay Goel dismissed their protest and asked the Opposition to bring substantial proof before they accuse the Prime Minister of corruption. This led to protest in the House.

Congress members on Thursday had created uproarious scenes in the Lok Sabha demanding a probe into the Rafale deal by a JPC, forcing an adjournment of the proceedings. They were heard demanding a JPC probe into the deal and a reply from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Congress leaders had turned down a breakfast invite from Rajya Sabha chairman M Venkaiah Naidu for today after the lawmakers weren’t allowed to raise their concerns around the Rafale fighter jet deal.

Naidu had declined permission to leaders from the Congress and other parties to raise their demand for a parliamentary probe into the Rafale deal, and even switched off their microphones and hurriedly push through two bills despite their protests.

The fresh protests in Parliament followed a press conference by two former ministers in the previous NDA government headed by Atal Behari Vajpayee, Arun Shourie and Yashwant Sinha, on Wednesday.

In a detailed press release with annexures, Shourie and Sinha rebutted the government’s argument that each Rafale cost only €91.7 million (Rs7.3 billion), because the price of the fighter should exclude an additional €47.2 million (Rs3.75 billion) spent on “India specific enhancements”.

The former ministers rebutted the “enhancements” argument by citing the India-France Joint Statement issued after Modi met French President Francois Hollande in Paris in April 2015. In that formal document, the two leaders agreed that “the aircraft and associated systems and weapons would be delivered on the same configuration as had been tested and approved (in the MMRCA testing) by Indian Air Force (IAF), and with a longer maintenance responsibility by France.”

In the press release, they pointed out: “That clear and emphatic affirmation in the (Modi-Hollande) Joint Statement nails the falsehood that has been spread since then — namely, that the price per aircraft is so much higher because of some novel ‘India specific enhancements’ in the 36 Rafales now contracted.”

The veterans summed up the charges to say that in the present deal, national security has been jeopardised, an enormous additional burden has been placed on the national exchequer, the one organisation in the country which has had decades-long experience in manufacturing aircraft – HAL – has been kicked out of the project and, finally, that a private party which has had absolutely no experience in manufacturing aerospace and defence equipment has been handed an enormous financial benefit.

Calling the entire transaction “a textbook case of criminal misconduct, of misuse of public office and of enriching parties at the expense of the national interest and national security”, they said: “Parliament and other agencies charged with the responsibility of overseeing the defence of our country, of preventing corruption and of ensuring that the government remains accountable as well as media must exhume every fact about how the original project was jettisoned, and one without rationale has been put in its place.”

India News

Suresh Gopi backs Waqf Bill amid land row in Kerala, calls it beneficial for Munambam residents

Union Minister Suresh Gopi supports the Waqf Bill citing benefits for Munambam residents, but lashes out at media over questions related to a recent priest attack in Jabalpur.

Published

on

Suresh Gopi

Union Minister Suresh Gopi strongly defended the Waqf (Amendment) Bill on Friday, asserting that the new legal changes would help people in Munambam, Kerala, who have been disadvantaged due to existing Waqf land claims. Speaking in Kochi, he criticised both the Congress and CPM, remarking, “Some people claimed the Waqf Bill would be thrown into the bin in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC). Let’s see how it pans out.”

He insisted that the amended law would correct past injustices and benefit local residents who’ve been entangled in ownership disputes involving the Waqf Board.

Heated response on Jabalpur priest attack

Gopi, however, grew visibly agitated when questioned about the recent attack on Malayali priests in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Reacting sharply, he said, “Go ahead and do a post-mortem of my tongue, but don’t dissect my mind.” He compared the incident to past controversies involving Christian leaders in Pala, Kerala, and questioned the media’s line of inquiry, stating, “Who are you? Whom are you questioning? Be very careful while speaking.”

His remarks came as reporters pressed for a response to the assault on Christian priests and community members in Jabalpur.

George Kurien demands justice for Munambam

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Minority Affairs George Kurien voiced strong support for the residents of Munambam during a Rajya Sabha discussion on the Bill. He demanded that the Waqf Board produce legal documents to justify its claim over land in Munambam and asserted that ownership must be restored to rightful holders.

Kurien emphasized that “any provision of law that contradicts the Indian Constitution must be amended,” and said that the rights of all religious minorities must be protected. He also accused opposition leaders of trying to mislead the Muslim community in Kerala, whom he described as “gentle and pious.”

Continue Reading

India News

BJP demands Sonia Gandhi’s apology over Waqf Bill remarks amid Parliament uproar

After the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, BJP demanded an apology from Sonia Gandhi for calling the Bill unconstitutional. Congress plans to challenge the law in the Supreme Court.

Published

on

Sonia Gandhi

The political temperature in Parliament rose sharply after the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, with the BJP demanding an apology from Congress leader Sonia Gandhi for her sharp criticism of the legislation. Mrs Gandhi called the Bill a brazen assault on the Constitution and accused the ruling BJP of pushing India toward permanent polarisation.

Her comments, made during a Congress Parliamentary Party meeting at Samvidhan Sadan, drew a swift backlash from the BJP, with MPs led by Nishikant Dubey demanding a formal apology. They accused her of undermining constitutional values and the Parliament’s authority. The protests led to the adjournment of Lok Sabha proceedings on Friday morning, as BJP members chanted slogans calling for her apology.

Sonia Gandhi alleges ‘bulldozing’ of legislation

Sonia Gandhi strongly criticized the passage of the Waqf Bill, claiming it was bulldozed through the Lok Sabha. She also targeted the Modi govt’s push for the One Nation, One Election initiative, calling it a direct subversion of India’s constitutional framework. “Whether it is education, civil rights and liberties, our federal structure, or the conduct of elections, the Modi government is dragging the country into an abyss,” she said.

She accused the government of promoting a surveillance state and claimed Prime Minister Narendra Modi was rebranding initiatives started during the UPA era as his own. Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi were present during the meeting, where Mrs Gandhi urged Congress MPs to aggressively counter BJP narratives.

Waqf Bill passed after intense debate in both Houses

The Waqf (Amendment) Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha after a 12-hour debate. Amendments proposed by opposition members were rejected via voice vote. The final vote count stood at 288 in favour and 232 against. The Bill later cleared the Rajya Sabha with 128 votes supporting it and 95 opposing, amid claims from opposition parties that it is anti-Muslim and unconstitutional.

The government defended the Bill as a historic reform for the benefit of the minority community. The Congress has since announced that it will challenge the law in the Supreme Court, with Jairam Ramesh stating that the party would very soon contest the Bill’s constitutional validity.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

BJP shares viral IPL girl meme to take a jibe at Congress over milk price hike in Karnataka

Her expression, as Hetmyer caught a ball that Dhoni had hit, quickly became popular meme material across the internet.

Published

on

The BJP on Tuesday seized the moment by sharing a viral clip of the viral girl from the CSK vs RR match, using it to mock the Congress-led Karnataka government. The jibe comes in response to the state’s recent decision to increase prices for Nandini milk, BMTC bus fares, and Namma Metro tickets, sparking widespread criticism.

Sharing the viral clip on X (formerly Twitter), the Karnataka BJP captioned, “That too, right after hikes in BMTC, Metro, and Milk prices!”

During the Chennai Super Kings vs Rajasthan Royals match, a female fan’s reaction to Dhoni’s departure captured attention online. Her expression, as Hetmyer caught a ball that Dhoni had hit, quickly became popular meme material across the internet.

Bengaluru residents are grappling with a wave of price hikes that have swept across essential services over the past year, from public transportation to household staples. The escalating costs of metro fares, bus tickets, milk, and electricity are placing a growing burden on daily commuters, families, and small businesses alike.

One of the steepest increases has come from the Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL), which rolled out a fare revision in February. The maximum fare for a metro ride jumped from ₹60 to ₹90, while the minimum balance required on smart cards doubled from ₹50 to ₹90. This adjustment translates to a 50-90% fare hike, a significant blow for the thousands of daily passengers who depend on the Namma Metro as an affordable lifeline. For a city known for its traffic woes, the metro’s rising costs are forcing many to rethink their budgets.

The pain at the ticket counter doesn’t stop with the metro. In January, the Karnataka government greenlit a 15% fare increase for state-run transport corporations, directly impacting the Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC). As a result, bus commuters—many of whom rely on BMTC services to navigate the city—are facing higher prices. An ordinary daily pass now costs ₹80, up from ₹70, while a weekly pass has risen from ₹300 to ₹350. Monthly pass holders, including students and regular travelers, are shelling out ₹1,200, compared to ₹1,050 previously. The fare surge is yet another hurdle for those already stretched thin by rising living costs.

For households, the sting of inflation is also evident at the breakfast table. The Karnataka Milk Federation (KMF) has raised the price of its popular Nandini milk by ₹4 per litre, effective April 1. This marks the third hike in less than a year, following increases of ₹3 per litre in July 2023 and ₹2 per litre in June 2024. A litre of Nandini toned milk, which retailed for ₹40 last year, now carries a ₹46 price tag. While KMF insists its rates remain competitive with brands like Amul and Heritage, the steady upward trend has left consumers frustrated and budgets tighter than ever.

Adding to the financial squeeze, the Karnataka Electricity Regulatory Commission (KERC) has approved higher fixed charges for electricity consumers over the next three years. The new rates, set to appear in bills starting May, will impact households and businesses across the state. However, there’s a silver lining for some: beneficiaries of the Gruha Lakshmi scheme, which provides free electricity, will be shielded from these increases. For everyone else, the rising cost of power is yet another expense to juggle.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com