English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

UN ECOSOC: UN Council gives recognition to Dalit NGO, many countries including India had objected

United Nations Economic and Social Council is one of the six principal organizations of the UN. This council looks after economic and social matters.

Published

on

UN ECOSOC: UN Council

The United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) recognized 9 NGOs, including a Dalit human rights organization on Thursday. Many countries including India, China and Russia had objected to this, yet UN took steps forward in this direction. These nine NGOs will be given the status of special consultants.

For the unversed, the United Nations Economic and Social Council is one of the six principal organizations of the UN. This council looks after economic and social matters.

Read Also: Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Bhagel raises concern of poaching in Himachal Assembly Election, claims Congress’s win

A US-sponsored resolution was voted on Wednesday to give recognition to these organizations. The NGOs are: International Dalit Solidarity Network (IDSN), Arab-European Center for Human Rights and International Law, Bahrain Human Rights Center, Coptic Solidarity Gulf Center for Human Rights, Interregional Non-Governmental Human Rights Organization Man and Law, Health and Social Justice Andrey Rylkov Foundation, The World Union of Cossack Atamans and World Without Genocide.

A record 24 votes were cast in favor of the proposal, while 17 were against. 12 members remained absent. The 19-member committee of the council had rejected recognition applications of nine NGOs in September this year. This committee considers the recognition applications of NGOs. Once the application is reviewed and approved by the committee, it is recommended to be a consultant.

Himachal Pradesh Assembly Election Results 2022 : Congress wins 40, BJP at 25

Supreme Court again criticises Centre on issues relating to judicial appointments

Latest world news

Indian-American Republican Nikki Haley poised to launch 2024 US Presidential bid

Two-time South Carolina Governor and former US Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley is poised to launch her Presidential bid for 2024 US elections on February 15

Published

on

Indian-American Republican Nikki Haley

Two-time South Carolina Governor and former US Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley is poised to launch her Presidential bid for 2024 US elections on February 15. Haley, 51, will become the first Republic Party leader to challenge former US president Donald Trump who is seeking the party’s nomination for 2024 polls.

According to a report by the Post and Courier, Haley is soon sending out an invite to her backers in which she has advertised a “special announcement” on February 15 at The Shed at the Charleston Visitor Center, a downtown gathering spot that could draw hundreds of supporters into the heart of the city’s tourism district.

When she enters the race, Haley will be the first contender to join the contest against her former boss, who is currently the sole Republican seeking his party’s 2024 nomination.

According to the South Carolina-based daily, the confirmation of Haley entering the Presidential race came on January 31 from a member of her inner circle. Previously, Haley had famously said would not run against Trump if her former boss decided to run again. However, she has shifted her stance recently citing the need for the US to look toward a different path.

According to the Washington Post, Haley could release a video signalling her plan for a White House bid as soon as this week. Trump, 76, announced his run last year.

Read Also: 3-year-old raped and murdered by mother’s boyfriend in Bengaluru, police say

In a recent tweet, Haley said it’s time for a new generation and a new leadership; “and its time to take our country back. America is worth the fight — and we’re just getting started.”

Haley told Fox News last month that the US needs a new leader who can take the country in a new direction.

In the Fox News interview, Haley emphasized that Democrat President Joe Biden, 80, should not be given a second term. When asked if she believes she is up for the job, Haley confidently answered that the current situation in the US demands a new leader and she can be that person who takes America in a new direction.

The next US presidential election is scheduled to be held on November 5, 2024.

Nikki Haley, an Indian-American, was born Nimrata Randhawa to Ajit Singh Randhawa and mother Raj Kaur Randhawa, who had emigrated from Punjab to Canada and then to the US in the 1960s. Her father was a professor at the Punjab Agricultural University, and her mother received a law degree from the Delhi University.

Budget 2023: Capital expenditure outlay hiked by 33 percent to Rs 10 lakh crore

Budget 2023: Nirmala Sitharaman announces Rs 2.40 lakh crore outlay for Railways; Kavach anti-collision system introduced

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Peshawar suicide bombing: Death toll rises to 93, over 220 wounded

At least 83 people are confirmed dead and more than 150 wounded as bodies are still being pulled from the wreckage of yesterday’s suicide bombing at a mosque in Peshawar city of northwestern Pakistan.

Published

on

Peshawar suicide bombing

At least 93 people are confirmed dead and more than 220 wounded as bodies are still being pulled from the wreckage of yesterday’s suicide bombing at a mosque in Peshawar city of northwestern Pakistan.

Bilal Ahmad Faizi, a spokesman for the rescue organisation 1122 said that they are going to remove the last part of the collapsed roof of the wrecked mosque so more bodies can be pulled out from underneath the rubble.

At least nine more bodies were recovered overnight from under the rubble of the mosque’s wall and roof which collapsed due to the blast.

Muhammad Asim Khan, a spokesman for the main hospital in Peshawar, told news agency AFP that 83 people have been confirmed dead and the death toll is expected to rise as more bodies are recovered from underneath the wreckage.

According to the police, the attack targeted the police officers as more than 20 Pakistani policemen, with coffins draped in the nation’s flag, were laid to rest in an official prayer ceremony with a guard of honour for the fallen soldiers.

The police headquarters in Peshawar is in one of the most tightly controlled areas of the city, housing intelligence and counter-terrorism bureaus, and is next door to the regional secretariat.

Peshawar City police chief Muhammad Ijaz Khan was quoted as saying that more than 90 percent of the victims were policemen, between 300 and 400 of whom had gathered in the compound’s mosque for prayers.

Police constable Wajahat Ali,23, recounted his horror as he was trapped beneath the wreckage for seven hours with a dead body piled upon him.

Provinces around the country announced they were on high alert after the blast, with checkpoints ramped up and extra security forces deployed, while in the capital Islamabad, snipers were deployed on buildings and at city entrance points.

In a statement Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said that terrorists want to create fear by targeting those who perform the duty of defending the country.

The extreme security breach came on the day United Arab Emirates (UAE) President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had been due to visit Islamabad, although the trip was cancelled at the last minute due to bad weather.

Read Also: Haryana man killed in road mishap, police say; family claims beaten to death by cow vigilantes

Pakistan is also preparing to host an International Monetary Fund (IMF) delegation on Tuesday as it works towards unlocking a vital bailout loan to prevent a looming default.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday condemned the blast as “abhorrent”, and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken extended his condolences for the “horrific attack”.

The attack took place on Monday when a suicide bomber walked into the mosque where over 260 people were offering afternoon prayers and detonated his explosive vest causing a massive explosion.

As per reports, the attack took place when worshippers gathered inside were offering afternoon prayers in the mosque in the northwestern city, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, bordered by Afghanistan.

Police said the roof of the mosque collapsed due to the blast and caved in burying many people underneath the debris.

No terrorist group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack; however, officials suspect this has all the markings of being the handiwork of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), a close ally of the Afghan Taliban, who seized power in neighboring Afghanistan in August 2021 as U.S. and NATO troops were in the final stages of their pullout from the country after 20 years of war.

Haryana man killed in road mishap, police say; family claims beaten to death by cow vigilantes

India a bright spot amid projected decline in global growth: IMF

Continue Reading

Latest world news

46 dead, 147 wounded in suicide bombing at Peshawar mosque

A suicide bombing at a mosque in Pakistan’s Peshawar city on Monday left at least 28 people dead and left another150 wounded, reports said.

Published

on

suicide bombing at a mosque in Pakistan

A suicide bombing at a mosque in Pakistan’s Peshawar city on Monday left at least 46 people dead and left another 147 wounded, reports said.

As per reports, the attack took place when worshippers gathered inside were offering afternoon prayers in the mosque in the northwestern city, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, bordered by Afghanistan.

Police officials said a suicide bomber walked into the mosque where over 260 people were offering afternoon prayers and detonated his explosive vest causing a massive explosion. They said the roof of the mosque collapsed due to the blast and caved in burying many people underneath the debris.

Eyewitnesses said they saw blood-soaked survivors limping away from the blast site.

Reports quoted a police officer, Meena Gul, who survived the blast, as saying that he was inside the mosque when the blast occurred but could not provide details on the number of injured and dead in the attack.

Read Also: Devotees brawl inside Ajmer Sharif shrine, video viral | WATCH

Gul said he was disoriented and all he could hear was cries and screams after the bombing.

Officials said the wounded are being rushed to local medical facilities where many are stated to be in critical condition, raising fears that the death toll may rise.

No terrorist group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack; however, officials suspect this has all the markings of being the handiwork of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), a close ally of the Afghan Taliban, who seized power in neighboring Afghanistan in August 2021 as U.S. and NATO troops were in the final stages of their pullout from the country after 20 years of war.

In March 2022, an Islamic State suicide bombing left 64 people dead at a minority Shiite mosque in Peshawar, the country’s deadliest terror attack since 2018.

Uttar Pradesh: Video of men flaunting weapon in moving car goes viral, internet users demand strict action | WATCH

Devotees brawl inside Ajmer Sharif shrine, video viral | WATCH

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com