Clashes broke out between protesting students and police in Ranchi and several other parts of Jharkhand on Friday evening as students attempted to burn effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, officials said.
Similar incidents were reported in Hazaribag and Giridih, where workers of the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) clashed with students who were trying to burn effigies of Soren.
The protesting students are affiliated with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch. They have accused the Jharkhand government of deceiving and betraying job aspirants following the High Court’s intervention in cases concerning recruitment examinations and appointments.
In Ranchi, a large number of students gathered at Albert Chowk to burn the effigies. Police said a scuffle broke out when they tried to control the situation.
Ranchi DSP KV Raman said the protesters changed the designated route of their march and went towards the JPSC office, where traffic was brought to a halt.
According to Raman, police repeatedly asked the protesters to follow the designated route for the march and effigy burning, but the students did not comply.
Student leaders, however, alleged that police and JMM workers attempted to prevent them from holding a peaceful march.
“They cannot stop us from holding peaceful and democratic protests,” JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said.
Another student leader, Piyush Kumar Singh, alleged that a core committee member of the Manch, Kunal, was detained by police. He claimed that Kunal fainted and was subsequently taken to Sadar Hospital.
The protesters also alleged that female participants were assaulted by JMM workers during the scuffle.
Why are Jharkhand students protesting?
The students had earlier called off their agitation after the Hemant Soren government decided to cancel JPSC examinations where irregularities had been alleged.
However, the Jharkhand High Court subsequently intervened in several matters related to the recruitment process.
On Friday, the court stayed notifications cancelling the appointments of Child Development Project Officers (CDPOs) and those recruited through the JSSC-CGL examination.
A day earlier, the court had stayed notifications cancelling the 11th and 13th JPSC examinations. It had also stayed the order cancelling the appointments of food safety officers.
The developments have renewed the students’ concerns over the government’s handling of recruitment-related cases.
JLKM announces recruitment reforms yatra
Meanwhile, JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto announced that his party would launch a ‘Recruitment System Reforms Yatra’ from August 24.
Mahto alleged that the Jharkhand government was not strongly defending cases concerning the cancellation of several recruitment examinations before the High Court.
He warned that if the government failed to effectively present its case before the Jharkhand High Court on September 15, when the matters are scheduled for hearing, they would plan to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence.