English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Amit Shah finally comes to Maya Kodnani’s defence in Naroda Gram riots case

Published

on

Amit Shah court

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Kodnani, already convicted in the Naroda Patiya riots case, had repeatedly sought Shah’s testimony in her defence to prove that she was with him when the riots broke out

Former minister in the Gujarat government and BJP leader Maya Kodnani finally managed to convince BJP national president Amit Shah to testify in her defence in the Naroda Gram riots case before the Ahmedabad sessions court, on Monday. Shah, who Kodnani claimed to be with when riots broke out in Ahmedabad’s Naroda Gram area on February 28, 2002, had so far evaded appearing in the court as a defence witness.

On September 8, the special court of judge PB Desai had given Kodnani time till September 12 to serve summons to the BJP national president to come before it and depose on her behalf. Shah was later granted time till today (September 18) to record his deposition at the Ahmedabad sessions court.

Shah arrived at the court premises around 11 am to record his statement and in what would have come as major relief for Kodnani – who is already convicted of inciting mobs and leading the riots in Naroda Patiya locality during the 2002 post-Godhra pogrom – corroborated her claims.

In his deposition that lasted for about 45 minutes, Shah endorsed Kodnani’s claim that she was with him in the Gujarat assembly when the riots in Naroda Gram broke out and that later the two went to the Sola Civil Hospital (located in Sarkhej assembly constituency which Shah was MLA of in 2002).

Kodnani’s counsel, Amit Patel asked Shah of his whereabouts on February 28, 2002 (the day of the Naroda Gram riots) to which he replied: “I went to the assembly at 8:30 am on that day. The Vidhan Sabha proceedings got over in about half an hour after condolences were given to Godhra victims… After the assembly got over, I received many calls from Sola Civil hospital as it was in my constituency, so I went there (at around 9.30-9.45 am).” Asked if Kodnani was with him at the Gujarat Assembly and then again at the hospital, Shah replied in the affirmative.

Maya Kodnani

Shah recounted the scenes at the Sola hospital, where bodies of ‘karsevaks’ killed in the Sabarmati train burning incident on February 27, 2002 – which is seen as the trigger for the killing of Muslims that took place over the next three days across Gujarat – were brought from Godhra.He said there was a “lot of commotion and confusion (at the hospital). Relatives of those who died were there and the post-mortem was on.”

“I was not allowed entry into the post-mortem room. I met with family members of the Godhra victims whose post mortem and identification was completed. There were several karyakartas with me, people were angry and were raising slogans when I was coming out of the hospital,” Shah recalled. He told the court further that he “tried to pacify the crowd but they surrounded me… police had to take me and Mayaben (Maya Kodnani) away from the spot in one of their jeeps. This was around 11 – 11:15 am.”

The BJP national president told the court: “Maya Kodnani did not go to Naroda Gam between being at the assembly session and Sola hospital” and that when the cases against them for their alleged roles in the riots began the two “did speak about (Shah) appearing as a witness (for Kodnani) in the Naroda Patiya case but the SIT has not bothered to ask me whether I was with her on February 28, 2002, or not.”

Kodnani has already been convicted (in 2012) and sentenced to 28 years in prison for her active role in instigating the Naroda Patiya riots. She was held as the “kingpin” of the riots. Kodnani and 31 other convicts in the Naroda Patiya riots case have challenged the verdict in the Gujarat High Court which concluded its hearing on August 30 and has reserved the verdict.

While Shah’s deposition in Kodnani’s favour shouldn’t surprise anyone (both were BJP legislators during the riots, were later inducted by then Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi into his cabinet and were considered very close to Modi then – Shah is still Modi’s closest aide), his acceptance of the court’s summons after having consistently evaded them for years is something that can be seen as politically relevant.

Naroda riots

Gujarat goes for Assembly polls in less than three months from now. With Shah finally choosing to defend Kodnani – the most high-profile BJP leader to have been convicted in a riots-related case – it seems that the BJP has signaled that Hindutva would still be an intrinsic part of its election campaign in the state where the saffron party has been in power for over two decades. The ghost of the post-Godhra riots which claimed as per official records the lives of over 800 Muslims (though activists and NGOs peg the figure to over 2000) has haunted Modi ever since but it has failed to keep his political fortunes from being on a constantly upward swing.

Shah’s defence of Kodnani possibly shows that though the state may want to move beyond the horrific memory of the country’s bloodiest riots in recent decades, the political brass – both Congress and BJP – are willing to keep it alive as a poll plank.

The riots have been a polarising factor in Gujarat politics – through the Congress’ bid to encash on it to unite minority votes against the BJP has failed to earn it any dividends. Now, at a time when the incumbent BJP – without Modi as chief minister – is facing a tough challenge in quelling dissent among the Patidars (due to the Patel agitation), Dalits (due to the Una flogging incident) and traders (unhappy over the GST regime), could the memory of post-Godhra riots once again help the BJP romp to power in the state riding on a fear psychosis among both – the Hindu and the Muslim communities?[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Students have eyes too: Rahul Gandhi hits back at Rijiju over protest injuries

Rahul Gandhi challenged Kiren Rijiju’s claim that no serious injuries occurred during the July 20 student protests, alleging brutal police action.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday hit back at Union Minister Kiren Rijiju over his claim that no student suffered serious injuries during the student protests in Delhi last month, saying he had personally met injured protesters.

The Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha also alleged that police used pellet guns and lathis studded with nails against students during the July 20 march towards Parliament.

Gandhi shared a video of Kiren Rijiju’s remarks on X and questioned the government’s account of the police action during the protests.

“Ministers of the Modi government are saying that ‘the Delhi Police should be praised’. Half a kilometre from Parliament, pellet guns were fired at peaceful students, lathis studded with nails were used, one child’s eye was lost, one girl’s ear was severed. Should we praise this brutality?” Gandhi said in his post.

The Congress leader said he had met several injured students himself and claimed that videos of the police action had been widely viewed.

Rahul Gandhi attacks Centre over student protests

Gandhi accused the government of trying to deny what protesters allegedly experienced during the July 20 demonstration.

“The fundamental mantra of this government is untruth and violence,” he alleged, adding that attempts to deny the injuries would not change what had happened.

He further said, “Don’t lie to the children of this country. They have eyes and memories too.”

The July 20 protest involved students marching towards Parliament while demanding the resignation of then Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.

What Kiren Rijiju said about the protests

Rijiju, who holds the Minority Affairs and Parliamentary Affairs portfolios, defended the handling of the protests and said the Delhi Police and administration deserved praise.

During an interview with a news agency, Rijiju said no person had died during the protest and claimed that no protester suffered a broken bone or was admitted to hospital with a serious injury.

“Not a single person died, not a single person suffered a broken bone. Not a single protester is admitted to the hospital with a serious injury,” he said.

Rijiju also alleged that people associated with various political groups had joined the protest and contributed to tensions.

He said the police acted only when protesters attempted to march towards Parliament and maintained that the administration handled the situation peacefully.

“In this case, one ought to praise the Delhi Police and the administration,” the minister said, arguing that no death or serious injury had occurred despite the scale of the demonstration.

Rahul Gandhi questions police action

Responding to Rijiju’s remarks, Gandhi questioned how the police action could be praised while alleging that protesters had sustained serious injuries.

His allegations about pellet firing, nail-studded lathis and specific injuries were presented by him as part of his criticism of the government’s account of the protest.

Rijiju, however, maintained that the Delhi Police did not use lathis during the protest and rejected the suggestion that the police response resulted in serious injuries.

The two accounts remain sharply at odds over the nature and severity of injuries suffered during the July 20 student protest.

Continue Reading

India News

Book Mahatma Gandhi Too: Kharge on Sonia, Rahul Vande Mataram complaint

Mallikarjun Kharge questioned the complaint against Sonia and Rahul Gandhi over the Vande Mataram rendition row and defended the Congress’s position.

Published

on

mallikarjun-kharge

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge on Tuesday questioned the basis of a complaint filed against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over an alleged attempt to disrupt the singing of Vande Mataram at the party headquarters.

Kharge argued that if singing the version of Vande Mataram performed by the Congress was considered a crime, then similar complaints should also be made against Mahatma Gandhi and former prime ministers Jawaharlal Nehru and Atal Bihari Vajpayee.

The remarks came amid a political row over the rendition of the national song during the Congress’s Independence Day celebrations at its headquarters on Saturday. BJP leaders had alleged that Sonia Gandhi signaled for the full rendition to be stopped.

The Congress has rejected the allegation. Party leader Udit Raj said Sonia Gandhi’s gesture was related to arranging a chair for Kharge, who, according to the party, was unable to stand for a long period.

Kharge questions complaint against Sonia, Rahul

Kharge said the Congress had been singing the same version of Vande Mataram for years and questioned why the party’s leaders were being targeted over it.

He referred to the use of the same version by Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru and also cited the period when Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s government was in power.

Kharge said that if the rendition amounted to a crime, then those who had previously sung the same version should also face complaints. He also said the Congress had passed a resolution concerning national songs before many of its current critics were born.

What Congress said about Sonia Gandhi’s gesture

The controversy began after the Vande Mataram rendition at the Congress headquarters during the Independence Day event.

According to the allegations, Sonia Gandhi noticed that the singers were continuing with the full version and appeared to gesture towards Kharge before communicating with the singers.

The Congress disputed this interpretation. Udit Raj said Sonia Gandhi was instead gesturing about arrangements for Kharge, who had been standing for a considerable period.

Complaint filed against Sonia, Rahul Gandhi

A complaint was filed with the Delhi Police on Monday against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. The complainant sought registration of an FIR over the alleged attempt to disrupt the singing of Vande Mataram at the Congress headquarters.

The controversy continued on Monday when Kharge participated in a Vande Mataram rendition in Goa ahead of a Congress convention. The version sung there included the first two stanzas.

The row comes after the Centre made singing Vande Mataram in its entirety mandatory at public gatherings, schools and official government functions, among other places. Parliament has also passed legislation making intentional obstruction, disruption or prevention of the singing of Vande Mataram a criminal offence, according to the report.

Continue Reading

India News

Champat Rai, Anil Mishra get clean chit in Ram Temple donation theft case 

The SIT probing alleged donation theft at the Ayodhya Ram Temple has cleared former Trust general secretary Champat Rai and former member Anil Mishra.

Published

on

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing alleged irregularities in donation management at the Ayodhya Ram Temple has cleared former Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust general secretary Champat Rai and former Trust member Anil Mishra.

The Uttar Pradesh Home Department on Monday handed over the SIT’s final report to the Trust, which will now take further action based on the findings.

Rai and Mishra had resigned from their positions on June 27 after allegations of donation theft emerged. The two former Trust members were subsequently questioned by the SIT about the temple’s donation management process.

Champat Rai denied involvement in donation theft

According to sources, Champat Rai told investigators during questioning that he had no role in the alleged theft. He reportedly said that the suspects were arrested following his complaint.

Rai also told the police that ensuring there were no irregularities in donation collection was part of his responsibility and that he acted after learning about the alleged wrongdoing.

SIT was formed before Supreme Court intervention

The three-member SIT was constituted by the Uttar Pradesh government on June 13 at the request of the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust.

Lucknow Divisional Commissioner Vijay Vishwas Pant headed the panel. Range Inspector General Kiran S and Special Secretary (Finance) Neel Ratan Kumar were the other members.

The SIT submitted its preliminary report to the state government on June 23 and made several stringent recommendations.

Following the preliminary report, Trust member Krishnamohan filed a written complaint at the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi police station. An FIR was subsequently registered on June 25.

Eight people named in FIR

The FIR named Avinash Shukla, Anukalp Mishra, Lavkush Mishra, Manish Kumar Yadav, Karunesh Pandey, Ramashankar Mishra, Subhash Srivastava and Ram Shankar Yadav, alias Tinnu, along with other unidentified individuals.

According to the provided report, all eight named accused were arrested and booked under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and Section 13(1)(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act.

The SIT’s preliminary findings also formed the basis for subsequent FIRs and arrest-related action in the case.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com