English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Aadhaar is a giant electronic mess, a serious threat, leads to a police state structure: Sr Advocate Divan to SC

Published

on

Aadhaar is a giant electronic mess, a serious threat, leads to a police state structure: Sr Advocate Divan to SC

Senior Advocate Shyam Divan on Wednesday (January 17) made a passionate plea to a Supreme Court constitution bench on why he thinks Aadhaar is not the best thing to have happened to India; in fact it is possibly a serious threat. He termed the entire Aadhaar programme a “giant electronic mess”.

In a speech that carried through most of the day (both before and after lunch), Divan told the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar, Adarsh Kumar Sikri, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan that Aadhaar has the potential to rob a person of his rights.

Divan was arguing on a petition by S G Vombatkere & Anr (vs Union of India & Ors. Respondents).

Before Divan, P Chidambaram had mentioned before the Chief Justice that Aadhaar had been passed as a money bill and he wanted to argue only on this aspect.

11.47 am: Divan started by saying: “There are so many regulations and notifications in this case. We have to consider them. There are so many circulars and notifications that have no connection with the main matter, but we have to look into them.”

11.51 am: The bench asked: “Are you going to challenge the Aadhaar programme first?”

Divan replied: “We have to make it clear what the purpose of the Aadhaar project is. This project came in 2009. We have to see if it constitutional or not. This project is a continuously growing project.

“We are challenging this project because of the collusion of a policy and technology. It is a giant electronic mess.”

12.00 pm: Divan also used the Kesavanand Bharti case to strengthen his case.

He said: “This project can track all the citizens and their activities. Firstly it was voluntary. The state issues a number which can be accessed by the government for tracking citizens and the state is empowered to switch it off.”

12.02 pm: He continued: “The constitution makes a balance between laws and life of citizens but the Aadhaar creates a mess between all this. Even banking is also connected, so the government can track our money expenditure and all.”

Then he listed some points such as:

– Tracking of banking and expenditure.

– Right to privacy.

– Identification of personal things like iris and fingerprints.

– Whether the Aadhaar database is secure or not for national security.

12.03 pm: Another writ petition was filed and tagged with the Aadhaar matter which refers issue of population census.

Divan continued: “Linking of Aadhaar with mobile services is also there which (the deadline) is extended till March 31.

“The iris and fingerprints are my personal identity and no one has the right to take it from me forcefully.

“On July 2, 2009 the chairman was appointed. The statute was not there at that time.”

12.08 pm: He also talked about the loopholes: “Fake Aadhaar numbers have also been generated. Several PILs were filed before the Supreme Court and this matter was transferred before constitutional bench.

“Adhaar is also used for LPG connections. The Jandhan Yojna is also linked with Aadhaar.”

12.09 pm: He pointed out that Aadhaar is voluntary so long as there was no judgment on it.

He said: “The E-KYC also came with linkage of Aadhaar. Re-verification has also come with all the existing mobile users for restricting money laundering.”

12.18 pm: There was more. He said: “S 139AA of the Income Tax Act is also connected with Aadhaar, so your bank accounts are connected, policies are connected mobiles are connected everything is connected with this.

“So the court passed an order saying linking Aadhaar with PAN is not mandatory. Even then the government said you cannot file your IT Returns without Aadhaar and PAN. Then the court saved the people from this.

“There are a large number of people who work on the field. Their rations are directly linked with Aadhaar. People are facing so much difficulty.”

12.21 pm: There were more issues, in the very collection process of the data itself, he pointed out. He said: “The biometrics are not being registered for a large number of people. And from age 15 to 18 the biometrics of a human being change. So how can it be possible to make it mandatory for those people?”

He also argued about linking Aadhaar with ration cards. He argued how someone living in a remote place can afford to get his or her ration if his or her ration card is yet to be linked to Aadhaar. That has been a long-standing issue that the government has refused to recognise. People have died because they have not been able to go to the fair price shop and give their finger prints, or could not because technical malfunctions.

12.40 pm: At this point Divan mentioned that there were Padmashree Award winners members of the national human rights committee among the petitioners. He also pointed out that there are some petitioners who worked with the group of people for national security.

12.50 pm: He continued: “They capture the fingerprints, facial and iris of individuals. These particular items are stored in the database.” He then pointed out the fallacy in this. “There are so many things which creates a bar while using these things, such as moisture, dust, tears in the eyes etc. in such cases you may be rejected. So the constitutional issue is, if I enjoy a right, where is the question of matching this?”

The hearings continued after lunch with Divan still speaking.

2.48 pm: He said: “Biometric is sensitive to everyone, like palm prints, voice etc. When you’re picking such sensitive information there should be a minimum governance. Biometrics is covered under no legislation. If we further go into the case, there is no governmental control over such gathering of sensitive information.

“Making Aadhaar mandatory at banks, work place etc. makes an individual vulnerable to surveillance. Aadhaar makes an individual tradable at all times. This is infringing his fundamental right. Electronic trail would be left with the Central government about information regarding the whereabouts of an individual. This would lead to aggregation of power. It leads to a police state structure. Is it even permissible to have such an architecture? It will soon become a surveillance society, the pace at which it is going on currently. Government, by transgression, is becoming dominating.”

3.01 pm: Then he hit at the heart of the matter: “Now we have a fundamental right to privacy, everything that happened between 2009 and 2016 should be nullified.

3.16 pm: The respondent (the government) in its  affidavit has submitted that Aadhaar gives people with no documentation an identity. About this Divan said: “Only 2,19,000 people registered in that particular category where Aadhaar was their first identity card.

3.43 pm: “Registrations were denied on technical grounds where biometrics of the people applying at a later stage were closely similar to people already registered. It is contended that such problems will grow as the number of registrations will create an anomalous situation.”

4pm: P Chidambaram came in with his arguments on the specific issue (the money bill) he wanted to talk about. He said: “Irregularity and illegality are two different things. If the Speaker certifies that a bill is a money bill then the Rajya Sabha becomes helpless.”

At that one of the counsels of the petitioner submitted: “No court should object if the speaker certifies, according to Parliament Act (UK) 1911.”

At that point the court was adjourned to Thursday.

Entertainment

Lokesh Kanagaraj’s Coolie release date confirmed, Will Jr NTR overshadow Rajinikanth this Independence Day?

Rajinikanth’s Coolie is set to release on August 14, 2025, the same day as Hrithik Roshan and Jr NTR’s War 2. Fans can expect a grand cinematic showdown this Independence Day weekend.

Published

on

Coolie vs War 2

Mark your calendars — August 14, 2025, is shaping up to be one of the biggest box-office showdowns in recent memory. Rajinikanth’s much-anticipated film Coolie, directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj, is officially set to release on the Independence Day, clashing head-on with Yash Raj Films’ War 2, starring Hrithik Roshan and Jr NTR.

Coolie release announcement stirs excitement

The makers of Coolie took to social media to break the news, with Sun Pictures posting on X: “Sound-ah yethu! Deva Varraaru #Coolie worldwide from August 14th.” Director Lokesh Kanagaraj followed up with a fiery post confirming the release date, alongside a brand-new poster featuring Rajinikanth attempting to whistle — a teaser of the mass celebration expected from fans.

Produced by Kalanithi Maran, the film features a star-studded ensemble including Nagarjuna, Upendra, Soubin Shahir, Sathyaraj, Shruti Haasan, Reba Monica John, Junior MGR, and Monisha Blessy. The project, initially announced as Thalaivar 171 in 2023, was officially titled Coolie in April 2024. Buzz also suggests a cameo by Aamir Khan, though no official confirmation has been made.

War 2: A formidable opponent

On the other side of the cinematic battlefield is War 2, the high-octane sequel to the 2019 blockbuster War. Directed by Ayan Mukerji, the film is part of YRF’s expanding Spy Universe. The action-packed sequel stars Hrithik Roshan returning as Kabir, with Jr NTR stepping in as the antagonist — a casting move that has already created immense hype among fans.

YRF confirmed the same release date on social media, with a post that read: “There will be mayhem in cinemas on 14 August 2025, worldwide.”

Coolie vs War 2: Independence Day mega clash

The simultaneous release of Coolie and War 2 sets the stage for a high-stakes South vs Bollywood showdown at the box office. With both films featuring superstar lineups, slick action, and massive fan bases, the Independence Day weekend is expected to witness record footfalls in cinemas across the country.

Continue Reading

India News

China hits back with 34% retaliatory tariffs on US goods as trade war intensifies, files complaint in WTO

: China has imposed a 34% tariff on all US imports starting April 10 and introduced rare earth export restrictions. The move comes after the US announced harsh tariffs on Chinese goods.

Published

on

China US trade war

In a sharp escalation of the ongoing trade war between the world’s two largest economies, China on Friday announced a 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from the United States, effective April 10. The move follows the US decision to impose similar steep tariffs on Chinese products earlier this week.

Beijing’s finance ministry confirmed that this additional tariff will be levied on top of the current applicable tariff rates already in place. The announcement marks another chapter in the worsening trade tensions between the two nations, with global economic ramifications.

Rare earth export curbs signal broader pushback

Alongside the tariffs, China’s Commerce Ministry unveiled export controls on seven rare earth elements, including gadolinium and yttrium, which are critical in medical imaging and consumer electronics. The restriction on these materials could impact industries heavily reliant on Chinese supply chains.

The move is widely seen as a strategic countermeasure, given China’s dominance in the global supply of rare earth minerals, which are vital to several high-tech sectors.

Legal battle looms at WTO

Further intensifying the standoff, China announced plans to file a lawsuit with the World Trade Organization (WTO) challenging the US-imposed tariffs. The complaint is aimed at defending China’s trade interests and international rights under WTO regulations.

Triggered by US tariff hike under Trump

This rapid escalation was sparked after US President Donald Trump imposed 10% tariffs on a wide range of imports and introduced additional duties of 34% specifically on Chinese goods. The new tariffs are part of a broader protectionist strategy, but they risk triggering a global trade disruption.

In response, Beijing has vowed to implement “countermeasures” to safeguard its economic interests. The tit-for-tat measures highlight the deteriorating trade relationship and could have lasting impacts on global markets and supply chains.

Continue Reading

India News

Waqf Amendment Bill sparks protests in Bengal and Chennai after Parliament cleared bill, opposition terms it unconstitutional, anti-democratic

Widespread protests erupted across Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad against the Waqf Amendment Bill passed in Parliament. The inclusion of non-Muslim members in Waqf boards is at the centre of the controversy.

Published

on

Waqf bill protest

Large-scale demonstrations broke out across major Indian cities, including Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad, on Friday following the passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament earlier this week. The protests, organised largely after Friday prayers, drew thousands to the streets voicing strong opposition to the changes introduced in the Waqf laws.

Among the key points of contention is the provision mandating the nomination of two non-Muslim members to the state Waqf boards and the Central Waqf Council, a move that has triggered widespread backlash from the Muslim community and opposition parties.

Protests intensify in multiple cities

In Kolkata, visuals showed large gatherings waving the national flag and carrying placards reading “We reject Waqf amendment” and “Reject Waqf Bill”. The demonstrations were reportedly organised by the Joint Forum for Waqf Protection.

Ahmedabad witnessed more tense scenes, with police seen attempting to disperse elderly protestors seated on the roads. In Tamil Nadu, actor-politician Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) held coordinated protests across cities like Chennai, Coimbatore, and Tiruchirappalli. TVK termed the bill “anti-democratic” and questioned its impact on the country’s secular fabric.

Political leaders raise alarms over implications

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also spoke out strongly, vowing to protect the rights of the Muslim community and saying that the bill would be repealed if a non-BJP government comes to power at the Centre. “I will not let the Muslims of Bengal lose their land,” she said, accusing the Centre of trying to divide the nation.

Congress leader Sonia Gandhi described the bill as a “brazen assault” on the Constitution and accused the BJP of promoting “permanent polarisation” in society. She also criticised the way the bill was passed, calling it “bulldozed through” the Rajya Sabha.

Government defends bill amid controversy

The Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju, backed by Home Minister Amit Shah, clarified in Parliament that the bill is prospective in nature, and not retrospective—dismissing concerns that it could affect existing Waqf properties. Rijiju also emphasised that while non-Muslim members would be part of the Waqf boards, the management and beneficiaries would continue to be exclusively from the Muslim community.

The Waqf Amendment Bill, which still awaits President Droupadi Murmu’s assent, cleared the Lok Sabha with a vote count of 288–232 and later passed the Rajya Sabha 128–95 after prolonged debates totaling nearly 30 hours across both Houses.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com