English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Massive storm hits north India, kills at least 75 in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan

Published

on

Massive storm hits north India, kills at least 75 in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan

At least 75 persons were killed and over 150 injured in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan in a powerful storm that raged across north India on Tuesday, May 2 night.

The storm also left at least 156 animals dead in UP and uprooted trees and disrupted power supply in Punjab and Haryana as well.

Rains and hailstorm during the storm also brought down temperatures in the region. The official weather department, Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast thunderstorm and squall for the next 48 hours (May 3-4).

Massive storm hits north India, kills at least 75 in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan

While it had been windy with occasional thunder, the weather suddenly turned violent at 2.30 am on Thursday when people were fast asleep. While the storm lasted only for 15 minutes, it took an immense toll in the devastation it caused in terms of loss of human life, damage to crop and livestock.

“We have sought a detailed report from the affected districts,” said media reports quoting Relief Commissioner Sanjay Kumar. He said that 156 cattleheads also perished in the calamity.

At least 45 people were killed with 36 casualties in Agra Zone alone. Officials said that the death toll may cross 50 as many of the injured are still critical. In many areas, the power supply is yet to be restored.

According to the meteorological department of the Indian Air Force’s Kheria base, on Wednesday night, as much as 48.2 mm rainfall was reported in Agra district between 8:45 pm to 11:30 pm. That was accompanied by 126 km/hr storm winds.

“As per figures received till noon, 45 people were killed and 38 injured in the dust storm in different parts of the state,” Relief Commissioner Sanjay Kumar told PTI.

18 people were killed in Khairabad, 9 in Fatehabad, 4 in Bah, 2 each in Etmadpur and Kirwali area in Agra as winds at the speed of 132 km/hour, with a massive thunder and hailstorm, lashed the entire region.

Three persons died in Bijnor, two in Saharanpur and one each in Bareilly, Chitrakoot, Raebareli and Unnao districts, Kumar said. Other districts affected were Saharanpur, Pilibhit, Firozabad, Chitrakoot and Muzaffarnagar where people died after houses and trees collapsed.

In Rajasthan, at least 34 people were killed and nearly 100 injured as a high-intensity squall followed by thundershowers hit parts of the state during the night. Most deaths were reported from Bharatpur district where at least 16 people lost their lives. Nine people died in neighbouring Dholpur in the high-speed dust storm that started around 7pm and wreaked havoc for two hours. Four deaths were reported from Alwar and one each from Jhunjhunu and Bikaner.

Most deaths occurred in house collapse due to the storm, said media reports quoting officials in Rajasthan.

Hemant Kumar Gera, Secretary, Disaster Management and Relief, said nearly 100 were injured in the disaster, according to media reports.

20 were injured in Alwar, 32 in Bharatpur and 50 in Dholpur respectively. “A few are undergoing primary treatment while others were discharged. One critical patient from Dholpur was referred to Jaipur,” he said.

In Uttarakhand, the sudden rains also halted the ongoing Char Dham pilgrimage. Officials, however, said debris from the roads were cleared particularly in Chamoli and Uttarkashi districts.

Uttarakhand Disaster Mitigation & Management Centre (DMMC) said at least two people were killed in Kumaon and few more injured in other parts after rains and thunderstorm lashed the hill state on Wednesday night.

The storm uprooted many trees and snapped electricity supply in state capital Dehradun. Villages in the Jaunpur area near Mussoorie were also reeling in the dark. Reports suggest electricity and water supply has also been affected in Nainital, Haldwani and several other remote locations.

In Delhi, the storm caused traffic snarls in various places when a squall with a wind speed of 59 km per hour hit the city in the evening, the met department said. The Safdarjung observatory, whose recording is considered the official figure for Delhi, recorded 13.4mm rainfall.

Apart from traffic snarls, 15 flights, including two international, were diverted due to the bad weather, airport officials in Delhi said.

The weather office has forecast overcast skies along with the possibility of a drizzle on Thursday. “The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover at 36 and 26 degrees Celsius respectively,” the weatherman said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is in Karnataka today, also expressed his condolences over the loss of lives. ‘Saddened by the loss of lives due to dust storms in various parts of India. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon. Have asked officials to coordinate with the respective state governments and work towards assisting those who have been affected,’ he tweeted.

India News

Kolkata hotel fire: 9 dead, 6 injured in Free School Street blaze

At least nine people, including a child, died and six were injured after a fire broke out at a Kolkata hotel near New Market.

Published

on

A massive fire at a hotel on Free School Street near New Market in Kolkata claimed at least nine lives, including that of a child, in the early hours of Wednesday. Six others were injured in the incident.

The fire broke out at around 2 am, trapping several guests inside the hotel as smoke rapidly spread through the building. The incident prompted a major rescue operation in the densely populated area.

According to the fire department, Bangladeshi nationals were among those killed. They had reportedly travelled to Kolkata for medical treatment.

Fire breaks out on third floor

Initial reports indicate that the blaze started on the hotel’s third floor. An air-conditioner explosion is being suspected as a possible trigger, although the exact cause of the fire has not yet been established.

Smoke quickly filled the rooms as the flames spread, leaving several guests trapped inside. Firefighters were alerted about the blaze at around 2:07 am.

Four fire tenders were sent to the location, while a disaster management team also joined the rescue operation.

Firefighters evacuated people trapped inside the building and eventually brought the blaze under control. The dense smoke made it difficult for them to move through the staircase and reach the upper floors.

A police officer said nine people had died and indicated that more casualties could not initially be ruled out. The flames had been extinguished and cooling operations were underway.

The incident occurred just two days after another deadly hotel fire in West Bengal’s Birbhum district. At least eight people were killed in a blaze at a hotel in Tarapith on August 17.

Continue Reading

India News

Supreme Court Bar Association elects Pradeep Rai as President

Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai has been elected president of the Supreme Court Bar Association after defeating Anupam Lal Das with 822 votes.

Published

on

Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai has been elected president of the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA), securing a decisive mandate in the 2026 election. Rai received 822 votes to defeat Senior Advocate Anupam Lal Das, who secured 451 votes.

The result places Rai at the helm of the representative body of advocates practising before the Supreme Court and gives him the responsibility of leading the Association on issues concerning the professional interests, welfare and institutional concerns of its members.

The SCBA occupies an important position as the collective representative of advocates appearing before the Supreme Court. Its responsibilities extend beyond the administration of the Association, with matters relating to the professional interests and welfare of members forming an important part of its institutional role.

Eight candidates contested for SCBA president

The presidential election was keenly contested, with eight candidates entering the race for the top post.

Those contesting for the position included Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai, Senior Advocate Mahalakshmi Pavani, Md Izhar Alam, Senior Advocate Adish Aggarwala, Gaurav Bhatia, Senior Advocate Anupam Lal Das, Senior Advocate Sukumar Pattjoshi and Senior Advocate Siddharth Mridul.

Rai ultimately emerged victorious with 822 votes, while Anupam Lal Das finished with 451 votes.

The election brought several issues concerning the functioning of the Association and the concerns of members of the Bar into focus. Professional opportunities for advocates, welfare measures and greater institutional responsiveness were among the broader issues surrounding the contest.

Rai’s agenda focused on reform and professional empowerment

Rai’s campaign was centred on an agenda of institutional reform and professional empowerment.

One of the areas highlighted during the campaign was the need to expand opportunities for younger members of the Bar. The agenda also included strengthening welfare mechanisms and addressing structural concerns affecting advocates practising before the country’s highest constitutional court.

The emphasis on younger advocates and welfare measures comes amid wider concerns within professional bodies about ensuring adequate institutional support and opportunities for members of the legal profession.

Rai’s electoral mandate now places the responsibility on the incoming leadership to translate these campaign priorities into concrete measures for members of the Association.

Significance of the SCBA leadership

The election comes against the backdrop of an evolving discussion on the role of Bar associations in ensuring effective representation and protecting the independence and institutional autonomy of the legal profession.

The SCBA has a distinctive position within India’s constitutional and legal framework as the collective representative of advocates appearing before the Supreme Court.

The Association also provides a platform for members of the Bar to deliberate on issues affecting their profession and the functioning of the legal system. Its leadership therefore has an important role in representing the collective concerns of advocates and maintaining an effective institutional forum for discussion.

Rai’s return to the Association’s leadership

For Pradeep Rai, the election victory marks a return to the leadership of the Supreme Court Bar Association.

Rai has previously served as the Association’s Vice President and has remained an active voice on issues concerning the Bar.

His latest electoral mandate brings with it the responsibility of taking forward the priorities outlined during the campaign while ensuring that the Association’s decision-making remains responsive to the wider interests of its membership.

The challenge before the new leadership will be to convert electoral assurances into tangible institutional measures while maintaining continuity in the Association’s functioning.

Bench-Bar dialogue among key institutional issues

The SCBA election also assumes significance in the context of the continuing dialogue between the Bench and the Bar on matters relating to institutional governance, professional ethics, access to justice and the working conditions of advocates.

A strong and autonomous Bar is an important component of the constitutional framework, particularly in a judicial system where advocates play a critical role in assisting courts in the administration of justice.

The Association’s leadership will therefore be expected to balance the professional and welfare concerns of its members with its wider institutional responsibilities.

What lies ahead for the new SCBA leadership

With the election process concluded, attention will now turn to the implementation of the incoming leadership’s stated agenda.

For Rai, the immediate task will be to work towards the priorities outlined during the election campaign, including measures aimed at expanding opportunities for younger advocates, strengthening welfare mechanisms and addressing structural concerns affecting members of the Bar.

The new leadership will also have to ensure that the SCBA continues to function as an effective forum for representation, deliberation and collective advocacy.

Rai’s victory consequently represents more than a change in office-bearers. It gives the new leadership a fresh mandate to address the concerns of Supreme Court advocates and shape the Association’s institutional priorities during its new term.

Continue Reading

India News

Students have eyes too: Rahul Gandhi hits back at Rijiju over protest injuries

Rahul Gandhi challenged Kiren Rijiju’s claim that no serious injuries occurred during the July 20 student protests, alleging brutal police action.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday hit back at Union Minister Kiren Rijiju over his claim that no student suffered serious injuries during the student protests in Delhi last month, saying he had personally met injured protesters.

The Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha also alleged that police used pellet guns and lathis studded with nails against students during the July 20 march towards Parliament.

Gandhi shared a video of Kiren Rijiju’s remarks on X and questioned the government’s account of the police action during the protests.

“Ministers of the Modi government are saying that ‘the Delhi Police should be praised’. Half a kilometre from Parliament, pellet guns were fired at peaceful students, lathis studded with nails were used, one child’s eye was lost, one girl’s ear was severed. Should we praise this brutality?” Gandhi said in his post.

The Congress leader said he had met several injured students himself and claimed that videos of the police action had been widely viewed.

Rahul Gandhi attacks Centre over student protests

Gandhi accused the government of trying to deny what protesters allegedly experienced during the July 20 demonstration.

“The fundamental mantra of this government is untruth and violence,” he alleged, adding that attempts to deny the injuries would not change what had happened.

He further said, “Don’t lie to the children of this country. They have eyes and memories too.”

The July 20 protest involved students marching towards Parliament while demanding the resignation of then Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.

What Kiren Rijiju said about the protests

Rijiju, who holds the Minority Affairs and Parliamentary Affairs portfolios, defended the handling of the protests and said the Delhi Police and administration deserved praise.

During an interview with a news agency, Rijiju said no person had died during the protest and claimed that no protester suffered a broken bone or was admitted to hospital with a serious injury.

“Not a single person died, not a single person suffered a broken bone. Not a single protester is admitted to the hospital with a serious injury,” he said.

Rijiju also alleged that people associated with various political groups had joined the protest and contributed to tensions.

He said the police acted only when protesters attempted to march towards Parliament and maintained that the administration handled the situation peacefully.

“In this case, one ought to praise the Delhi Police and the administration,” the minister said, arguing that no death or serious injury had occurred despite the scale of the demonstration.

Rahul Gandhi questions police action

Responding to Rijiju’s remarks, Gandhi questioned how the police action could be praised while alleging that protesters had sustained serious injuries.

His allegations about pellet firing, nail-studded lathis and specific injuries were presented by him as part of his criticism of the government’s account of the protest.

Rijiju, however, maintained that the Delhi Police did not use lathis during the protest and rejected the suggestion that the police response resulted in serious injuries.

The two accounts remain sharply at odds over the nature and severity of injuries suffered during the July 20 student protest.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com