English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Trump praises PM Modi, offers to mediate in India-China standoff

With tensions growing between India and China in eastern Ladakh, US President Donald Trump on Friday offered to help by mediating between the two countries.

Published

on

Donald Trump

With tensions growing between India and China in eastern Ladakh, US President Donald Trump on Friday offered to help by mediating between the two countries as he said the situation between the two Asian neighbours had turned very nasty.

Trump said the United States would love to get involved and defuse tensions, and were already in talks with both sides. The US President had made similar remarks during the Galwan Valley standoff and had also made a similar pitch to mediate between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir issue. The Ministry of External Affairs had earlier said, on Trump’s offer of mediation with Pakistan, that the issue will be dealt with mutually. Trump had made the offer thrice in this connection.

Speaking to reporters in Washington DC, Trump said he hopes China is not bullying India but admitted that Beijing was going more strongly at it than many even understand.

Trump recalled the bonhomie he shared with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in an attempt to convince Indian Americans that he was their best bet in the US presidential race even though the Democrats had chosen Indian-origin American Kamala Harris for the vice-president ticket. Trump spoke of the Howdy Modi event in Houston Texas where Modi had said “Abki Baar Trump Sarkar”, an echo of his 2014 campaign slogan.

The US President spoke fondly of his last visit to India in February when he addressed a large gathering in Ahmedabad before the Covid-19 outbreak forced a nationwide lockdown.  He said the people of India liked him and America and supported them, underlining the fact that Indian Americans too would vote for him in the US elections due in November this year.

Read Also: Trump praises PM Modi, offers to mediate in India-China standoff

Trump maintained that China is to be primarily blamed for the coronavirus outbreak. He said all 188 countries in the world have been affected in one way or the other due to the Chinese virus.

Entertainment

Lokesh Kanagaraj’s Coolie release date confirmed, Will Jr NTR overshadow Rajinikanth this Independence Day?

Rajinikanth’s Coolie is set to release on August 14, 2025, the same day as Hrithik Roshan and Jr NTR’s War 2. Fans can expect a grand cinematic showdown this Independence Day weekend.

Published

on

Coolie vs War 2

Mark your calendars — August 14, 2025, is shaping up to be one of the biggest box-office showdowns in recent memory. Rajinikanth’s much-anticipated film Coolie, directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj, is officially set to release on the Independence Day, clashing head-on with Yash Raj Films’ War 2, starring Hrithik Roshan and Jr NTR.

Coolie release announcement stirs excitement

The makers of Coolie took to social media to break the news, with Sun Pictures posting on X: “Sound-ah yethu! Deva Varraaru #Coolie worldwide from August 14th.” Director Lokesh Kanagaraj followed up with a fiery post confirming the release date, alongside a brand-new poster featuring Rajinikanth attempting to whistle — a teaser of the mass celebration expected from fans.

Produced by Kalanithi Maran, the film features a star-studded ensemble including Nagarjuna, Upendra, Soubin Shahir, Sathyaraj, Shruti Haasan, Reba Monica John, Junior MGR, and Monisha Blessy. The project, initially announced as Thalaivar 171 in 2023, was officially titled Coolie in April 2024. Buzz also suggests a cameo by Aamir Khan, though no official confirmation has been made.

War 2: A formidable opponent

On the other side of the cinematic battlefield is War 2, the high-octane sequel to the 2019 blockbuster War. Directed by Ayan Mukerji, the film is part of YRF’s expanding Spy Universe. The action-packed sequel stars Hrithik Roshan returning as Kabir, with Jr NTR stepping in as the antagonist — a casting move that has already created immense hype among fans.

YRF confirmed the same release date on social media, with a post that read: “There will be mayhem in cinemas on 14 August 2025, worldwide.”

Coolie vs War 2: Independence Day mega clash

The simultaneous release of Coolie and War 2 sets the stage for a high-stakes South vs Bollywood showdown at the box office. With both films featuring superstar lineups, slick action, and massive fan bases, the Independence Day weekend is expected to witness record footfalls in cinemas across the country.

Continue Reading

India News

China hits back with 34% retaliatory tariffs on US goods as trade war intensifies, files complaint in WTO

: China has imposed a 34% tariff on all US imports starting April 10 and introduced rare earth export restrictions. The move comes after the US announced harsh tariffs on Chinese goods.

Published

on

China US trade war

In a sharp escalation of the ongoing trade war between the world’s two largest economies, China on Friday announced a 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from the United States, effective April 10. The move follows the US decision to impose similar steep tariffs on Chinese products earlier this week.

Beijing’s finance ministry confirmed that this additional tariff will be levied on top of the current applicable tariff rates already in place. The announcement marks another chapter in the worsening trade tensions between the two nations, with global economic ramifications.

Rare earth export curbs signal broader pushback

Alongside the tariffs, China’s Commerce Ministry unveiled export controls on seven rare earth elements, including gadolinium and yttrium, which are critical in medical imaging and consumer electronics. The restriction on these materials could impact industries heavily reliant on Chinese supply chains.

The move is widely seen as a strategic countermeasure, given China’s dominance in the global supply of rare earth minerals, which are vital to several high-tech sectors.

Legal battle looms at WTO

Further intensifying the standoff, China announced plans to file a lawsuit with the World Trade Organization (WTO) challenging the US-imposed tariffs. The complaint is aimed at defending China’s trade interests and international rights under WTO regulations.

Triggered by US tariff hike under Trump

This rapid escalation was sparked after US President Donald Trump imposed 10% tariffs on a wide range of imports and introduced additional duties of 34% specifically on Chinese goods. The new tariffs are part of a broader protectionist strategy, but they risk triggering a global trade disruption.

In response, Beijing has vowed to implement “countermeasures” to safeguard its economic interests. The tit-for-tat measures highlight the deteriorating trade relationship and could have lasting impacts on global markets and supply chains.

Continue Reading

India News

Waqf Amendment Bill sparks protests in Bengal and Chennai after Parliament cleared bill, opposition terms it unconstitutional, anti-democratic

Widespread protests erupted across Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad against the Waqf Amendment Bill passed in Parliament. The inclusion of non-Muslim members in Waqf boards is at the centre of the controversy.

Published

on

Waqf bill protest

Large-scale demonstrations broke out across major Indian cities, including Kolkata, Chennai, and Ahmedabad, on Friday following the passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament earlier this week. The protests, organised largely after Friday prayers, drew thousands to the streets voicing strong opposition to the changes introduced in the Waqf laws.

Among the key points of contention is the provision mandating the nomination of two non-Muslim members to the state Waqf boards and the Central Waqf Council, a move that has triggered widespread backlash from the Muslim community and opposition parties.

Protests intensify in multiple cities

In Kolkata, visuals showed large gatherings waving the national flag and carrying placards reading “We reject Waqf amendment” and “Reject Waqf Bill”. The demonstrations were reportedly organised by the Joint Forum for Waqf Protection.

Ahmedabad witnessed more tense scenes, with police seen attempting to disperse elderly protestors seated on the roads. In Tamil Nadu, actor-politician Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) held coordinated protests across cities like Chennai, Coimbatore, and Tiruchirappalli. TVK termed the bill “anti-democratic” and questioned its impact on the country’s secular fabric.

Political leaders raise alarms over implications

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also spoke out strongly, vowing to protect the rights of the Muslim community and saying that the bill would be repealed if a non-BJP government comes to power at the Centre. “I will not let the Muslims of Bengal lose their land,” she said, accusing the Centre of trying to divide the nation.

Congress leader Sonia Gandhi described the bill as a “brazen assault” on the Constitution and accused the BJP of promoting “permanent polarisation” in society. She also criticised the way the bill was passed, calling it “bulldozed through” the Rajya Sabha.

Government defends bill amid controversy

The Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju, backed by Home Minister Amit Shah, clarified in Parliament that the bill is prospective in nature, and not retrospective—dismissing concerns that it could affect existing Waqf properties. Rijiju also emphasised that while non-Muslim members would be part of the Waqf boards, the management and beneficiaries would continue to be exclusively from the Muslim community.

The Waqf Amendment Bill, which still awaits President Droupadi Murmu’s assent, cleared the Lok Sabha with a vote count of 288–232 and later passed the Rajya Sabha 128–95 after prolonged debates totaling nearly 30 hours across both Houses.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com