English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

2G Scam: No one found guilty in law, but claimed huge political cost

Published

on

2G Scam: No one found guilty in law, but claimed huge political cost

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The acquittal of every single accused in 2G scam raised the obvious question: was there a scam at all in the first place, or was it an issue raked up by the then opposition – the BJP – merely for political purposes?

There is no question that the controversy over the 2G scam – and the various others that followed, including the CWG (Commonwealth Games) scam and coal scam that followed – gave a huge boost to the BJP, forced the sacking of its ministers, landed them in jail, paralysed the Congress-led UPA government, wiped out public trust in it and built up a surge of public resentment that fuelled an anti-corruption movement and culminated in the ascendancy of BJP under Narendra Modi to power.

Then a few days earlier, while convicting former coal secretary and Jharkhand chief secretary in a case related to coal scam, the court ruled that former prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh had been misled by the officers, practically clearing him of any responsibility. Meaning, the allegations against the ex-PM were false.

Now the special court set up by the Supreme Court to try the 2G scam case has acquitted all accused in the case, saying that the prosecution has not proved the charges against the accused in any of the cases. The issue relates to alleged irregularities in allocation of spectrum by the UPA government in 2008. The controversy blew up in 2009 and the first arrest was made in 2011 by the CBI.

On Thursday, Dec 21, pronouncing his order, special judge OP Saini said, “I have no hesitation in holding that record is not sufficient and the prosecution has miserably failed in proving charges. All accused are acquitted.”

The court has directed all acquitted persons to file a personal bail bond of Rs 5 lakh each to ensure their presence during appeal. CBI has been given 60 days to file an appeal.

The accused in the case include Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) leaders A Raja and Kanimozhi, Raja’s ex-private secretary RK Chandolia, Reliance ADAG Group managing director Gautam Doshi, its senior vice president Hari Nair, group president Surendra Pipara, Swan telecom promoter Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd managing director Sanjay Chandra, Essar Group promoters Anshuman and Ravi Ruia, its director (strategy and planning) Vikas Saraf, Loop Telecom promoters Kiran Khaitan and her husband IP Khaitan, along with Loop Telecom Pvt Ltd, Loop Mobile India Ltd and Essar Tele Holding.

Reliance Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Pvt Ltd were also among the accused.

In 2008, during A Raja’s tenure as telecom minister, 2G licenses were awarded on a first-come-first-served basis to new entrants and CDMA operators migrating to GSM technology, at the same price as in a spectrum allocation held seven years earlier.

A report submitted by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG), said that 2G licences had been issued to telecom operators at throwaway prices, causing a loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer. Licences had been issued to applicants who had suppressed facts, disclosed incomplete information, submitted fictitious documents and used fraudulent means, the report said.

On 2 February 2012, the apex court cancelled 122 telecom licenses and spectrum allocated to nine companies in January 2008, holding that the process of allocation was flawed. The court directed that the spectrum or any natural resource must be auctioned.

The apex court verdict set the stage for an investigation and trial to prosecute those involved. The CBI had started investigation into alleged irregularities in spectrum allocation in 2009. In its chargesheet filed in April 2011 against Raja and others, CBI had alleged that there was a loss of Rs 30,984 crore to the exchequer in allocation of 122 licences for 2G spectrum which were scrapped by the Supreme Court on February 2, 2012.

The prosecution could not prove its charges against any of the accused in a case that rocked the country, toppled a government and was ranked by Time magazine as the second biggest instance of abuse of power in the world, after Watergate scandal. The then Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of the country had said it had caused a notional loss of a phenomenal Rs.1.76 lakh crore to the public exchequer.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text css=”.vc_custom_1513850071156{padding-top: 5px !important;padding-right: 5px !important;padding-bottom: 5px !important;padding-left: 5px !important;background-color: #c9c9c9 !important;border-radius: 5px !important;}”]The case had put Congress and the DMK on the defensive and, as luck would have it, the verdict came on a day when Tamil Nadu sees a crucial by-poll being held in RK Nagar, late Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s constituency. DMK’s Marudhu Ganesh is contesting in the by-poll.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]As big as the alleged scam, and perhaps bigger in implications, was the politics based on it. The Congress was jubilant.

Former PM Manmohan Singh says, ‘the court judgement has to be respected. I’m glad that the court has pronounced that the massive propaganda against UPA was without any foundation.'[/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text]Congress leader and former minister in UPA government Kapil Sibal said, “It was a scam of lies… Vinod Rai (the then CAG) should apologise.”

“It’s most unfortunate that an atmosphere of suspicion was created and Opposition gets on the bandwagon that everything the UPA did was wrong. The telecom sector is in dire straits today, thanks to Vinod Rai and the leaders of the (then) Opposition in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. Our stand has been vindicated,” he said.

Another Congress leader Manish Tewari, reacting to the 2G verdict said the former CAG Vinod Rai must apologize for an ‘imbecile’ report.

“Mr Rai, former C&G, must apologise to the nation for throwing presumptive sensational corrosive numbers into public discourse. He was author of imbecile 1.76 thousand crore loss theory that I had destroyed during my cross examination of Rai in the JPC. The court has affirmed JPC report,” Tewari said.

Former junior telecom minister Milind Deora said: “The CAG report allowed BJP to mislead the nation & play the role of a highly irresponsible opposition. This won them an election, but hurt India’s competitiveness & straddled banks with ₹4 lakh crore of debt resulting from license cancellations & auctions.”

DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who has been staying away from public life due to health issues, felt pepped up enough to say, “Injustice will be defeated, good deeds will triumph.” “Aneedhi veezhum. Aram vellum,” wrote. Karunanidhi in Tamil soon after the verdict was pronounced.

DMK supporters distributed sweets in celebration in Coimbatore after the acquittal of all the accused in 2G scam verdict.

His daughter and DMK leader Kanimozhi told journalists: “There is no evidence against me and justice has been delivered.”

Kanimozhi said, “I was falsely dragged into this which definitely left me scared. Now with this behind me I’ll do all I can to strengthen the party and work for the people of Tamil Nadu. I owe a debt of gratitude to my family and party workers who were a pillar of support to me and stood by me during these six excruciating years. The last 6 years have been harrowing to say the least. To be falsely accused in a case for a notional loss of Rs176 thousand crores to appease the opposition that was stalling parliament, is atrocious.”

Terming it a historic verdict, DMK working president and half brother of Kanimozhi, MK Stalin said, “This was a politically motivated case. It was a well planned one and with false figures, they built up arguments. Now, we are extremely delighted that everyone has been acquitted. I have a request for the media. When this case started, you blew it up so much to make sure everyone knew about it, now please make sure this judgement too gets as much visibility.”

Reacting to the development BJP leader Subramanian Swamy tweeted: “Govt. must prove its bonafides by filing an immediate appeal in High Court.”

Dr Subramanian Swamy was among those who had approached the court seeking a probe into the role of the then Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in the case. However, his plea was quashed by the Supreme Court.

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, who had played a key role in designing the line of attack on UPA government in the case, said, “I am sure that the investigative agencies will have a close look at it (the judgement & acquittal of accused) & decide what has to be done.”

“The fact that the policy caused loss is clear form the fact that the subsequent auctions got a much higher price,” said Jaitley, according to ANI.

“Each & every case of spectrum allocation was quashed by SC (in 2012) as arbitrary & unfair, the policy was quashed as unfair & intended to cause loss to GoI & the govt was directed to have a fresh policy by which an auction would take place,” said an ANI tweet quoting Jaitley.

He further said, “Congress leaders are treating this judgement as some kind of a badge of honor & a certification that it was an honest policy. … This was a corrupt & dishonest policy, which has already been upheld by the Supreme Court in 2012,” said the ANI quoting Arun Jaitley.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Hyderabad police arrested 2 Muslim women for vandalizing holy idols after probe accused understood to suffer from mental illnesses

The brother of the sisters, Asimduddin, told the police that his sister take treatment and have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia. The brother, while talking to the media also extended his apology on behalf of the sisters for the damage they had caused.

Published

on

According to reports, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Tuesday held a protest outside the police station in Hyderabad after being infuriated by the actions of 2 women who vandalized Hindu idols. Hyderabad Police on Tuesday arrested two Muslim women for allegedly vandalizing and causing destruction to Mother Mary and Goddess Durga’s idols.

The two women, who turned out to be sisters, on CCTV can be seen entering goddess Durga’s pandal right before vandalizing the idol. A similar incident transpired when they were wearing burqas and caused destruction to Mother Mary’s statue in the City’s Khairatbad area. The two sisters then were taken to the police station on Tuesday morning where the police tried to interrogate them.

The police, in their interrogation, learned that the women were unable to answer properly and it took them a while to understand the situation. The police further went to the homes of the sisters to probe further, however, after reaching the residence of the two sisters, the police found out that the parents also suffer from issues regarding mental illness.

The police asked the neighbors in and around the area about the mental state of the sisters and the ones who knew them checked out the mental illness angle and added that the family has been suffering from mental illness for the last 3 to 4 years.

The Deputy Chief Commissioner of Hyderabad Police, MR Chandra told the media that one of the women threatened whoever stopped them from using a tool kit spanner. Chandra also added in his statement that the women were found to be mentally ill and told the media that both the women take treatment.

The brother of the sisters, Asimduddin, told the police that his sister take treatment and have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia. The brother, while talking to the media also extended his apology on behalf of the sisters for the damage they had caused.

The police have, however, registered a case under 153-A, 295, 295-A, 451, 504 r/w 34 IPC. Furthermore, The two women have been sent to a mental hospital for their assessment. The women will be produced with their assessment copies as well as the FIRs to the court.

Continue Reading

India News

Madhya Pradesh man rapes daughter, then sells her and his son, who wants his father hanged to death

The girl told the media that her family sold her for Rs 60,000 to a 50-year-old clerk and his brother to another family for Rs 6,000.

Published

on

Madhya Pradesh: Man rapes daughter and then sells her and his son, former wants his father to be hanged to death | WATCH

A monstrous incident of a drunk man allegedly raping his daughter and then selling her to a clerk has come to light in Madhya Pradesh’s Chhatarpur area. According to the reports, the victim was forced to stay with the clerk as his wife. The police have arrested the father and have initiated a probe into this matter.

The girl, identified as Kishori, told the media that her family, including her father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, and paternal aunt, sold her for Rs 60,000 to a 50-year-old clerk and his brother to another family for Rs 6,000. Reportedly, the 16-year-old used to work at brick kilns as a clerk’s wife in Hamirpur.

When asked how she escaped the trap, Kishori revealed to the media that she had discreetly obtained his maternal uncle’s phone number from his father and told him about the whole scenario.

Her maternal uncle then filed a complaint at the Maudaha Police Station on September 24 and brought the victim back home. As per the reports, the girl, in a statement, alleged that her father used to drink and then rape her. She even informed her mother about this, but she asked her to ignore it.

Kishori added that her father had threatened to kill her if she went ahead and filed a complaint against him. She then claimed that her father had sold her to a clerk. Kishori also said that she wants her father to be hanged to death.

Furthermore, her brother also told the media that he was sold to a family for Rs 6,000, where he used to go every day for donkey grazing.

The case has been registered at the Kotwali Nagar Police Station and has nabbed the man. Speaking about this matter, in-charge Shyam Babu Shukla told the media that the case is from two different villages. She said they would lodge the complaint as soon as they received the application from both villages.

Continue Reading

India News

Viral: UP doctor tells family of deceased to birth another child, family accuses doctor of being late for treatment, internet enraged | Watch

The mother, who also spoke to the media, informed that when her daughter was taken to the hospital, no doctor was there to look at her or treat her. According to the family of the deceased, when they arrived with their sick daughter at the government hospital, no doctor was present to treat or monitor the patient.

Published

on

UP doctor tells family of deceased to birth another child

A viral video has emerged from UP’s Barbanki district where a doctor can be seen asking the family who had just lost their daughter to birth to another daughter. The family of the deceased has accused the doctor of not arriving on time due otherwise their daughter would have been alive.

In the video, the doctor can be seen stating that if a child dies, one has to birth another one to complete everything. After the doctor’s statement, the man making the video can be asking if this is a manufacturing machine and further remarked about his repartee being uncouth and distasteful.

The video has been making rounds on the internet as many users were enraged by the remarks of the doctor in the video. One Twitter user wittily tried to show the gravity of the situation to the doctor by asking him if someone amputates both of his arms, will he be able to fix it, implying how losing a child is like losing a hand.

Read Also: School teacher beats Dalit student to death in Uttar Pradesh

Another Twitter user also added to the conversation by asking if these types of doctors are the embodiment of gods, directing at the phrase of doctors being the embodiment of gods.

The mother, who also spoke to the media, informed that when her daughter was taken to the hospital, no doctor was there to look at her or treat her. According to the family of the deceased, when they arrived with their sick daughter at the government hospital, no doctor was present to treat or monitor the patient.

The family further added that the doctor arrived much later, even though the family had requested to call the doctor, subsequently the condition of their daughter deteriorated and reached a critical level, after which the doctor arrived and treated her. However, the doctor was not able to save the daughter as she succumbed to her critical condition.

A video of a similar nature went viral from UP’s Kanpur where a sick woman was forced to travel by rikshaw due to the lack of ambulance services. In the video, an elderly woman can be seen sitting in a rickshaw where a drip tube is inserted in her hand. The drip bottle is tied and attached to the upper part of the rickshaw which allows the medicine to pour into the tube and get into the veins of the patient.

Kerala man lies about dog bite to skip work, gets slammed for misinformation

Tamil Nadu: 3 people, including 12-year-old boy crushed to death by speeding SUV in Salem

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com