English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Trinamool MP Derek O’Brien moves privilege motion against Home Minister Amit Shah over Ambedkar remarks

The political row erupted after Home Minister Amit Shah, replying to the Constitution debate in Rajya Sabha, said it had become a fashion for the Opposition to take Ambedkar’s name.

Published

on

Trinamool MP Derek O’Brien moves privilege motion against Home Minister Amit Shah over Ambedkar remarks

Derek O’Brien Trinamool Congress MP has filed a notice of question of privilege against Union Home Minister Amit Shah over the remarks he made on BR Ambedkar in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.

The Trinamool MP said that the remarks undermined the legacy of Dr BR Ambedkar and the dignity of the House. Derek O’Brien has also sought action against Home Minister Amit Shah, alleging the statements were in violation of parliamentary decorum.

The decision followed after several Opposition MPs staged protests against Amit Shah over his remarks on BR Ambedkar during his address to the Rajya Sabha during debate on the Constitution. The Congress also sought the Home Minister’s resignation and an apology from him.

The Opposition MPs also held photos of BR Ambedkar and raised Jai Bhim and Amit Shah maafi maango slogans inside the Parliament complex. Furthermore, the issue also echoed in other states as Congress leaders held demonstrations with placards outside Raj Bhavans.

The political row erupted after Home Minister Amit Shah, replying to the Constitution debate in Rajya Sabha, said it had become a fashion for the Opposition to take Ambedkar’s name.

The Home Minister said that it has become a fashion to say Ambedkar. He added that if the Opposition had taken God’s name so many times, they would have got a place in heaven.

The Home Minister’s remark evoked a sharp backlash from the Congress, including Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi. The Congress leader tweeted that those who believe in Manusmriti will definitely have problems with Ambedkar.

Also, Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge issued a scathing response, accusing the BJP and RSS of undermining Ambedkar’s contributions. He said that the insult that Home Minister Amit Shah has done to Baba Saheb in the House today has once again proved that BJP/ RSS were against the Tricolour, opposed the Ashoka Chakra, and wanted to implement Manusmriti instead of the Constitution. Babasaheb did not let that happen, that is why there is so much hatred towards him, Mallikarjun Kharge said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi accused the Congress and its rotten ecosystem of insulting BR Ambedkar for several years as he listed the party’s several sins towards the architect of the Indian Constitution.

The Prime Minister defended Amit Shah’s remarks in the Rajya Sabha during the Constitution debate, and said that the Congress was doing theatrics after being stung and stunned by the Home Minister’s address. He stated that Amit Shah exposed the Congress’s dark history of insulting Dr. Ambedkar, and that the Congress are clearly stung and stunned by the facts Home Minister presented, which is why they are now indulging in theatrics.

India News

Bhubaneswar cab strike turns violent, 80 protesters arrested, 13 cops hurt

A strike by app-based cab and bike drivers in Bhubaneswar turned violent, leaving 13 police personnel injured and 80 protesters arrested.

Published

on

The ongoing protest by app-based cab and bike drivers in Bhubaneswar escalated into violence on Wednesday, with police arresting around 80 protesters and reporting injuries to 13 personnel.

The drivers and bike riders have been on a cease-work protest since August 17 over a seven-point charter of demands that includes a fare hike, lower application fees, social security and other benefits.

Hundreds of protesters marched from Raj Mahal Square towards Mahatma Gandhi Marg on Wednesday and blocked the road, affecting traffic around Master Canteen Square and areas close to the railway station.

Protesters allegedly pelt stones at police

According to police, personnel deployed at the spot attempted to persuade the protesters to clear the road. The situation allegedly turned violent when some protesters threw stones at the police force.

Police also alleged that three police vans and several government-run Ama buses were vandalised during the incident.

Narasingha Bhol, Additional Commissioner of Police (Cuttack-Bhubaneswar), said 13 police personnel, including the inspector in charge of the Capital Police Station, were injured.

“We are examining the CCTV footage. Strict legal action will be taken against all those who indulged in the violence,” Bhol said.

Bhubaneswar DCP Jagmohan Meena said around 80 protesters were arrested and vehicles parked at the protest site were seized.

The DCP said police had permitted the drivers to demonstrate at Mahatma Gandhi Marg on August 17, but the protesters continued their agitation and blocked a major road, causing inconvenience to commuters.

The situation has since returned to normal, with vehicular movement resuming. Police have also deployed additional personnel at Lower PMG.

Transport authority examines seized vehicles

The transport authority has started examining the documents of the vehicles seized during the protest.

Additional Transport Commissioner Sangram Patnaik said registration certificates of vehicles without valid documents would be cancelled.

“We are examining the details of the seized vehicles. We will cancel the registration certificate of vehicles that don’t have valid documents,” Patnaik said.

The prolonged strike has also affected commuters, with a large number of cabs, bikes and auto-rickshaws remaining off the roads.

Odisha government working on fare chart

Odisha Transport Minister Bibhuti Bhusan Jena said the government is preparing a rate chart for online cab and bike ride operators.

Housing and Urban Development Minister K C Mahapatra said the government also plans to further improve the Odisha Yatri app, with the aim of ensuring that drivers receive greater benefits from rides.

Continue Reading

India News

Congress stands by 1937 Vande Mataram resolution, BJP hits back

The Congress Working Committee has reaffirmed its 1937 resolution to sing only the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram at party events, prompting a sharp BJP response.

Published

on

The Congress has decided to continue with its longstanding position of singing only the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram at party events, amid an ongoing political row over the National Song.

The Congress Working Committee (CWC) on Thursday reaffirmed its 1937 resolution on Vande Mataram. The decision has drawn strong criticism from the BJP, which accused the opposition party of placing its political position above the country.

BJP national spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi described the Congress as a “new Muslim League” and questioned the party’s “patriotism and loyalty” to India.

BJP attacks Congress over Vande Mataram stand

Reacting to the CWC decision, Trivedi said the Congress had undermined its claim of being the principal party associated with India’s freedom struggle.

He alleged that the decision showed the Congress considered the party to be above the Constitution, Parliament and the country.

Trivedi also compared the Congress’s position with the Muslim League’s opposition to singing the complete version of Vande Mataram in 1931.

Congress defends 1937 resolution

Congress General Secretary KC Venugopal defended the party’s decision and accused the BJP of politicising the National Song and National Anthem.

Venugopal said Vande Mataram was an emotional issue for the Congress and maintained that the party’s position was based on the decision taken by its top leadership in 1937.

He referred to the presence of leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Rabindranath Tagore, Subhas Chandra Bose and Sardar Patel at the time.

Venugopal also accused the BJP of using the controversy as a distraction from issues such as alleged paper leaks and “chanda chori”.

Vande Mataram row intensifies

The latest dispute comes amid a broader political controversy over the singing of Vande Mataram. The government had earlier pushed for the full version to be sung at public gatherings and official events and Parliament passed a Bill making disruption or prevention of the National Song’s singing a criminal offence, according to the report.

The controversy intensified after former Congress president Sonia Gandhi was seen making gestures while the full National Song was being sung at the Congress headquarters on Independence Day. The BJP alleged that she was objecting to the full version, while the Congress rejected the claim.

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge also faced criticism after singing a shorter version of Vande Mataram at an event in Goa on Monday. The BJP termed it disrespectful to the National Song.

Kharge defended his position, saying he had sung the version previously sung by leaders including Gandhi, Nehru, Sardar Patel and Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He said that if singing that version was a crime, cases should also be filed against those leaders.

Continue Reading

India News

Mumbai restaurant licence suspended after FDA finds rats, cockroaches and unhygienic kitchen

Maharashtra FDA suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence after an August 18 inspection found rats, cockroaches, open drains, grease buildup and unhygienic kitchen conditions.

Published

on

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Maharashtra has suspended the food business licence of Hotel Radha in Malad (West), Mumbai, following an inspection that found serious hygiene violations in its kitchen.

The action was taken with immediate effect after a raid on August 18 uncovered an active rodent infestation, including live rats near the ceiling and rats emerging from open kitchen drainage lines.

Inspectors also found live cockroaches crawling over food preparation equipment, including a dough-mixing machine.

Inspection finds open drains and grease buildup

The inspection found that kitchen drains were left open and were not properly maintained. The condition of the drains created direct entry pathways for municipal sewage pests, according to the inspection findings.

The kitchen also had foul odours linked to water stagnation, grease buildup and drain seepage.

Videos and images from the inspection showed oil and grease covering kitchen counters and utensils. Storage units were also found to be dirty.

Food storage boxes and containers reportedly had mud and dust on them, while some utensils had rust.

Food preparation and storage areas found unhygienic

The inspection also documented several other unhygienic conditions inside the kitchen.

The dustbin was found open with waste inside it, while a toaster used for food preparation was placed above the dustbin.

Photos from the inspection also showed food ingredients being stored in unhygienic conditions.

The findings included both visible dirt and grease accumulation as well as pest-related problems inside areas used for food preparation and storage.

Maharashtra FDA orders immediate suspension

Following the inspection, authorities suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence under Section 32(3) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.

The enforcement order directed the immediate closure of all manufacturing, storage, sale and distribution operations from August 18.

The action is part of a statewide crackdown involving hotels, restaurants, government canteens and other establishments across Maharashtra.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com