English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Apple puts Wistron on probation after Bangalore plant rampage

Taiwan-based manufacturing company Wistron Corporation on Friday sacked its vice-president Vincent Lee, who oversees the business in India, days after violence erupted at one of its plants in Karnataka.

Published

on

Wistron

Taiwan-based manufacturing company Wistron Corporation on Friday sacked its vice-president Vincent Lee, who oversees the business in India, days after violence erupted at one of its plants in Karnataka. Tech giant Apple, for whom the company produces various parts for the iPhone, has said that the company will not receive any new business from Apple until they complete corrective actions.

Wistron issued a statement admitting its mistake and offered apology to workers over non-payment of salaries to them. They also said that the company has been investigating and found out that the workers have not received their dues on time ever since the unfortunate events at Narasapura facility took pace. The processes which were put to manage the labour agencies and payments need to be strengthened and upgraded, the company said in the statement.

Wistron said an employee assistance programme has been set up to facilitate workers with a 24 hours grievance hotline in English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada and Telugu, so that workers can voice up their concerns for the company to acknowledge. Since the employees are top priority, the company would work hard to achieve that workers are fully compensated immediately, said the company.

Meanwhile, an Apple statement said the preliminary findings indicated the violation of the Supplier Code of Conduct, involving failure in implementation of proper working hour management processes, which led to payment delays in Wistron. The tech giant has placed the company on probation and refused to continue business before they complete the corrective actions. Apple employees and independent auditors have been conducting a parallel enquiry into the December 12 violence incident at Wistron’s Narasapura facility.

Also Read: YouTuber CarryMinati to make Bollywood debut with Amitabh Bachchan-Ajay Devgn starrer Mayday

Last week, several contract workers went on rampage at the Wistron corporation plant in Narasapura over alleged delays in wages and demands for better working conditions.The angered workers vandalised property and factory gear in the process. The company had claimed that it suffered loss of worth Rs 437.40 crore. Reacting to the violence, the Centre had asked the state to look into labour-related disputes, ensuring investor sentiment is not affected.

India News

West Bengal government to stop welfare funds for imams and temple priests

West Bengal’s new government has announced the end of monthly honorariums for imams, muezzins and temple priests as part of a policy shift away from religion-based welfare schemes.

Published

on

The newly formed government in West Bengal has announced that welfare schemes linked to religious identity, including monthly honorariums for imams, muezzins and temple priests, will be discontinued from June.

The policy marks a major shift from the earlier Trinamool Congress government, which had introduced financial assistance programmes for religious functionaries after coming to power in the state.

According to reports, the first such scheme was launched in 2012, under which registered imams in West Bengal received a monthly honorarium of Rs 2,500. Similar support was later extended to muezzins and Hindu temple priests.

The new administration led by Suvendu Adhikari has maintained that government welfare initiatives should not be distributed on the basis of religion.

The announcement comes shortly after the BJP formed the government in West Bengal following the recent Assembly elections.

The decision is expected to trigger political debate in the state, as the honorarium schemes had remained a key issue in Bengal politics for several years.

Continue Reading

India News

ED arrests AAP Goa co-incharge Deepak Singla, Atishi alleges political targeting

AAP leader Deepak Singla was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate following searches linked to an alleged bank fraud case, triggering sharp political reactions from the party leadership.

Published

on

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday arrested Aam Aadmi Party leader Deepak Singla after carrying out searches at multiple locations in Delhi and Goa in connection with an alleged bank fraud-linked money laundering case.

Singla, who serves as the AAP’s Goa co-incharge, was questioned for several hours before being taken into custody by the agency. Officials said the searches were conducted by the ED’s Delhi Zonal Office-2.

The development comes months before the Goa Assembly elections scheduled next year and has triggered a strong reaction from the AAP leadership.

AAP national convenor Arvind Kejriwal claimed that Singla was being targeted for political reasons and alleged that he was arrested because he refused to join the BJP.

Reacting to the ED action, Atishi accused the BJP of using central agencies against opposition parties in poll-bound states. She alleged that the raids were aimed at intimidating party workers and accessing the party’s organisational data in Goa.

Senior AAP leader Manish Sisodia also criticised the Centre and alleged misuse of institutions such as the ED and CBI against opposition leaders.

According to reports, this is not the first time Deepak Singla has faced scrutiny from the ED. In 2024, the agency had also conducted searches at his residence in connection with the same alleged money laundering investigation.

Continue Reading

India News

10 killed in head-on collision between van and truck on sisaiya–lakhimpur highway

At least 10 people were killed after a van and truck collided head-on on the Sisaiya–Lakhimpur highway in Uttar Pradesh.

Published

on

At least 10 people were killed after a van and a truck collided head-on on the Sisaiya–Lakhimpur National Highway in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district.

The impact of the collision was severe, leading to multiple fatalities on the spot, according to initial reports from the accident site.

Following the crash, local authorities and emergency teams reached the location and initiated rescue operations. The injured were shifted for medical treatment, while efforts were made to clear the damaged vehicles from the highway.

Police have taken cognizance of the incident and further investigation into the cause of the collision is underway.

This incident adds to the growing number of serious road accidents reported on highways in Uttar Pradesh, raising concerns over traffic safety and enforcement in high-speed zones.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com