English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

MJ Akbar’s defamation suit: Court takes cognisance, to hear on Oct 31

Published

on

MJ Akbar’s defamation suit: Court takes cognisance, to hear on Oct 31

The Patiala House Court in New Delhi today (Thursday, October 18), took cognisance of the criminal defamation complaint filed by BJP MP and former minister MJ Akbar against Priya Ramani, the first woman journalist to publicly accuse him of sexual misconduct, fixing October 31 for examining the complaint and recording witnesses’ statements.

The court said that it has taken cognisance of the offence under Section 500 of the Indian Penal Code.

Akbar, a former journalist of stature, resigned as the union minister of state for external affairs on Wednesday (October 17) amid a barrage of allegations levelled by women scribes about his alleged sexual, moral and ethical misconduct after Ramani related her experience when she worked at The Asian Age newspaper over 20 years ago when Akbar was the editor.

Following Ramani’s claims against Akbar, over 15 women journalists have so far raised similar allegations against him. Akbar is now a BJP MP in Rajya Sabha.

Akbar has dismissed all these allegations as being baseless and politically motivated. Earlier this week, he had hired senior advocate Raian Karanjawala and his firm to represent him in the criminal defamation suit against Ramani.

Calling his resignation a ‘vindication,’ Ramani had said she was ready for the legal battle. Twenty women journalists have urged the court to also consider their testimonies, and to be called as witnesses.

On Thursday, as the case came up for hearing in the court of ACMM Samar Vishal, senior advocate Geeta Luthra appeared on behalf of Akbar and argued that the baseless comments made by Ramani in an article and then on Twitter had tarnished the reputation of her client.

Luthra alleged that the tweets, retweeted by many, have caused irreparable damage to the reputation of the former minister. Akbar has resigned due to these allegations and they show the damage caused to his reputation, his lawyer argued.

To establish Akbar’s credentials before the court, Luthra talked about his 40 year stint as a highly regarded journalist and editor, a former Lok Sabha member and a union minister till just a day ago.

She asserted that Ramani’s allegations, which in turn provoked similar charges being levelled by a slew of other women scribes, had done irreparable damage to Akbar’s image and had not just diminished his reputation but made it vanish altogether.

ACMM Samar Vishal heard the submissions made by Luthra and said that he was taking cognizance of the defamation suit under section 500 of the Indian Penal Code. The court then fixed October 31, 12 noon, as the next date and time of hearing in the case when it will conduct an examination of the plea filed by Akbar.

While Akbar wasn’t present in court today, he will have to appear in person to record pre-summoning evidence.

The witnesses to be examined on the next date of hearing are Joyeeta Basu, Veenu Sandal, Syed Habibur Rehman, Tapan Chaki, Sunil Gujral, Manjal Ali etc.

Akbar had filed the case against Ramani on Monday, seeking her prosecution under Sections 499 and 500 of the IPC for defamation.

Meanwhile, the Editors Guild of India and a large number of eminent citizens like senior advocate Indira Jaising and common people – men and women alike – who have voiced their support for the #MeToo campaign have urged Akbar to withdraw the defamation suit against Ramani.

The Editors Guild of India came out in support of the 20 women journalists who have named journalist-turned-politician MJ Akbar in the growing #MeToo movement, accusing him of sexual harassment. The top body of editors representing the media industry expressed its concern over Akbar’s defamation case against one of the journalists, Priya Ramani, and said he should withdraw the case.

“We hope that Mr Akbar will also display the grace to withdraw the criminal defamation case he has filed against one of these complainants. While Mr Akbar is entitled to all legal instruments available to a citizen to seek vindication, it would be paradoxical for a veteran editor to employ the instrument of criminal defamation,” the Editors Guild said in a statement.

The Editors Guild assured its full support to the other women journalists in case he decides to sue them. “If any of them were to need legal advice or assistance, the Guild will do the best it can to help and also appeal to eminent lawyers to represent them pro bono,” Editors Guild said.MJ Akbar’s defamation suit: Court takes cognisance, to hear on Oct 31

India News

RSS not seeking political power, focused on uniting Hindu society, says Mohan Bhagwat

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat said the organisation is not seeking political power but is focused on uniting Hindu society and promoting character-building during an interaction with athletes in Meerut.

Published

on

Mohan Bhagwat

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat on Friday said the organisation is not driven by any ambition for political power and is instead dedicated to uniting Hindu society and building individual character.

He made the remarks while interacting with nearly 950 national and international sportspersons at Madhav Kunj in Shatabdi Nagar, Meerut, as part of the RSS centenary outreach initiatives. According to participants present at the event, Bhagwat spoke for about 50 minutes and stressed the importance of social harmony and collective responsibility in nation-building.

Quoting Bhagwat, a participant said the RSS’ “sole objective is the organisation of the entire Hindu society and character-building of individuals,” adding that the organisation does not function in opposition to or competition with any specific group.

Emphasis on unity and cultural roots

Explaining his idea of India, Bhagwat said the nation goes beyond geographical boundaries and draws inspiration from figures such as Lord Ram, Lord Krishna, Lord Buddha, Lord Mahavira, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayanand and Mahatma Gandhi, participants said.

He reportedly stated that the term “Hindu” reflects unity in diversity rather than caste identity. Differences in modes of worship and deities, he said, do not weaken society as long as cultural harmony is preserved. He added that whenever social unity declined, the country faced crises.

The RSS chief outlined four foundational pillars of society — value inculcation, Sanatan culture, the spirit of dharma and adherence to truth — reiterating that the Sangh’s mission centres on strengthening society through individual development. Volunteers, he said, are active across various spheres of social life and prioritise national interest.

Sports as a tool for nation-building

Addressing the athletes, Bhagwat described sports as a powerful medium for bringing people together. He said nation-building is not the responsibility of any single organisation but of society as a whole.

Referring to Meerut’s historic role in the First War of Independence in 1857, he said the legacy later inspired Keshav Baliram Hedgewar to establish the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in 1925.

Bhagwat also shared five guiding principles for those interested in associating with the RSS — understanding the organisation from within, engaging with its affiliated bodies, supporting its programmes, maintaining dialogue and working selflessly for the nation. He also answered questions from athletes during the session.

Outreach events in Uttar Pradesh

Bhagwat is currently on a tour of Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, he attended a two-day outreach event in Lucknow on February 17 and 18 and had also visited Gorakhpur. During his stay in Lucknow, he briefly met Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, while both deputy chief ministers called on him before he left for Meerut.

Arjuna Award-winning wrestler Alka Tomar described the programme as grand and praised the organisational efforts of RSS volunteers. She said sportspersons must contribute to nation-building and appreciated Bhagwat’s emphasis on working in the national interest.

Para Cricket Club of India player Surya Pratap Mishra of Bareilly, selected for a Sri Lanka tour, said Bhagwat assured support for para athletes to help them enhance the country’s pride. Kabaddi coach Pintu Malik from Shukratal in Muzaffarnagar termed the interaction inspiring, especially the message that players should support one another.

Bhagwat reached Meerut on Thursday night and held breakfast discussions on Friday with representatives from the sports and industry sectors. On Saturday, he is scheduled to interact with members of the intelligentsia, including representatives from education, industry, medicine, literature, art and trade. Entry to the event is restricted to invitees with passes issued by the RSS headquarters.

Continue Reading

India News

BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte dies after prolonged battle with injuries from Manipur violence

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte has died in Gurugram nearly two years after suffering severe injuries in the 2023 ethnic violence in Imphal.

Published

on

BJP MLA (1)

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte, who had been battling severe injuries sustained during the outbreak of ethnic violence in May 2023, died at a hospital in Haryana’s Gurugram on Thursday.

Valte, a representative from the Thanlon assembly constituency in Churachandpur district, was attacked in Imphal when tensions between Meitei and Kuki-Zomi communities escalated into widespread clashes. The assault left him with critical head injuries that significantly affected his mobility and speech.

Long medical struggle after 2023 attack

Following the attack on May 4, 2023, Valte was admitted to a hospital in Delhi, where he spent several months in intensive care. According to his family, he suffered debilitating head trauma that left him wheelchair-bound and dependent on assistance for routine physical movements.

Despite prolonged treatment in the national capital for nearly two years, his health remained fragile. He later returned to Manipur, but complications linked to the injuries persisted.

Earlier this month, Valte complained of breathlessness and chest pain, prompting doctors to stabilise him in intensive care before he was flown to Delhi in an air ambulance on February 8. His condition had reportedly shown slight improvement before the transfer.

Family alleges role of Arambai Tenggol

Valte’s family had alleged that members of the Meitei group Arambai Tenggol were responsible for the attack in 2023. His son, David Mang Valte, had earlier stated that the MLA was assaulted while returning after meeting the then Chief Minister amid the communal crisis involving Kuki, Meitei and Zomi communities.

Valte belonged to the Zomi tribe and was serving as a BJP legislator from Thanlon at the time of his death.

Condolences pour in

Several political leaders expressed grief over his passing. Two-time MLA T Robindro Singh said his last meeting with Valte at Imphal Airport before he was airlifted for advanced treatment remains “deeply emotional and unforgettable.” He described Valte as a kind-hearted and humble leader who was always concerned about the welfare of the people.

Valte’s death marks the end of a prolonged and painful chapter that began with the outbreak of ethnic unrest in Manipur in 2023.

Continue Reading

India News

Amit Shah launches Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam

Amit Shah has launched the Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam to develop 140 villages along the Bangladesh border with improved infrastructure and employment opportunities.

Published

on

Amit Shah

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday launched the second phase of the Vibrant Village Programme in Assam, announcing a Rs 6,900-crore investment aimed at strengthening development in border areas.

The initiative seeks to transform 140 villages along the Bangladesh border in Assam into centres of modern education, employment and infrastructure. Shah formally inaugurated the programme at Natanpur village in the Barak Valley region of the state.

Focus on education, jobs and infrastructure

Addressing the gathering, Shah said the programme would ensure that border villages receive facilities on par with other parts of the country. He credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi for prioritising development in these regions.

“Today, we are officially beginning the Vibrant Village Programme-II, and through this, we will bring development to bordering villages and facilities like any other place across the country. This has been possible because of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” Shah said.

He added that Natanpur would not be known merely for its proximity to the border but for excelling in education, employment generation, road connectivity, telecommunications and electricity.

Coverage across 17 states

According to Shah, the Centre has earmarked Rs 6,900 crore under Vibrant Village Programme-II to develop 334 blocks and 1,954 villages across 17 states.

In Assam alone, nine districts, 26 blocks and 140 villages have been identified under the scheme. Shah said all amenities in these villages would match those available in other villages across India.

“There was a time when border villages were called the last villages and lacked many amenities, but Prime Minister Narendra Modi decided that all border villages will be the first villages. Now these villages will be first in road, sanitation, drinking water, communications, employment and education,” he said.

The programme aims to strengthen infrastructure and socio-economic conditions in border areas, particularly those along the Bangladesh frontier in Assam.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com