English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Sabarimala review petition – Supreme Court reserves judgment

Published

on

Sabarimala review petition

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Supreme Court today (Wednesday, Feb 6) reserved its order on petitions seeking review of its judgment allowing women of all ages to enter Sabarimala Ayyappa temple.

A five-judge Constitution Bench, headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and also comprising also comprising Justices RF Nariman, AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra, heard the matter for over four hours.

Interestingly, the Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB) that manages the Ayyappa temple did a U-turn today to say that women of all age groups should be allowed to pray there.

The Devaswom Board told the apex court that it has no objection to the entry of women inside the temple and urged the people to “gracefully” abide by the apex court’s verdict.

“People who are opposing entry of women in 10-50 age group in Sabarimala temple should accept the SC verdict gracefully and allowing entry of all women inside temple,” Devaswom Board told SC.

The board, which also comprise state government nominees, told the Constitution Bench that it is high time that a particular class not be discriminated on the ground of “biological attributes”.

“Article 25 (1) equally entitles all persons to practice religion,” senior advocate Rakesh Dwivedi, appearing for TDB, told the Bench.

“Women cannot be excluded from any walk of life on biological attributes … equality is the dominant theme of the Constitution,” said Dwivedi adding that people should gracefully accept the apex court verdict.

The board had earlier vehemently opposed the PIL by Indian Young Lawyers Association saying that the celibate character of Lord Ayyappa at Sabarimala temple was a unique religious feature which was protected under the Constitution.

Speaking to reporters later, the TDB chief said that the board accepts the top court’s September 28 verdict and believes that there should not be any discrimination.

“Based on the verdict (September 28) we have decided not to file a review petition. The board accepts the SC verdict and if of the opinion that there shouldn’t be any discrimination,” TDB president A Padmakumar was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

Several organisations including the Nair Service Society (NSS) and the Thantri of the shrine, have sought reconsideration of the verdict.

During the hearing, the petitioners argued that the court cannot force its views upon the people of Kerala who, it said, have not accepted the verdict. The petitioner also claimed that the apex court’s verdict has resulted in disturbing the social peace in the state.

The first to present the case was senior advocate K Parasaran, who was appearing for the Nair Service Society. Speaking for more than 20 minutes, he submitted that the Constitution bench had failed to deal with the interplay of the Constitution’s Preamble and Articles 15, 17 and 25 of Constitution. Parasaran highlighted that Article 15 (prohibition of discrimination), which threw open all public institutions of secular character to all classes of person, conspicuously omitted religious institutions and therefore it was an error to strike down a temple custom under Article 15.

He also asserted that the Supreme Court’s September judgment did not consider the crucial aspect that Article 15 (2) does not cover religious places. The omission to consider this aspect constitutes an error apparent on record, the counsel submitted.

He argued that the practice was limited to a particular age group, and therefore cannot be equated with untouchability — which excluded an entire class of people. Parasaran concluded saying that the exclusionary practise in Sabarimala is based on the character of the deity, which is that of Naishtika Brahmachari or permanent celibate.

Appearing for the chief priest or Thantri of the Sabarimala temple, senior advocate V Giri reiterated that right to pray has been in consonance with the nature and form of the deity. He argued that the restriction in Sabarimala had been based on the character of the deity. Advocate VV Giri argued that any person who asserts right under article 25(2)(b) to worship has to do it in consonance with the nature of deity.

The Kerala government, however, opposed the review petition, saying that it was in agreement with last year’s verdict and urged dismissal of petitions seeking review of the verdict.

Advocate Jaideep Gupta, appearing for the Kerala government, made it clear that the government was opposing the review petitions as no grounds had been made out for review.  The state government said that the ban on women entry is not part of “essential practice of Hinduism” which have the protection of the Constitution of India.

Gupta asserted that essential practice of religion and essential practice of a temple cannot be confused and that exclusion of women from a temple was not essential to Hindu religion. “Every temple may be having its own practice. Court cannot go into the essential practices of every temple. That would mean each temple is a denominational temple. That will lead to the destruction of essential religious practise test,” he argued.

The Kerala government’s counsel also opposed arguments put forward by various petitioners that it was a private issue. “It is about public law issue unless they argue that women between age 10 to 50 are not a class of Hindus,” Jaideep Gupta said.

He also told the bench that it should not consider the tension and violence that followed the judgment. “That social peace has been destroyed is not a ground for reviewing the judgment. Constitutional invalidity cannot be permitted to go on,” he argued.

“Social harmony will ultimately prevail in the state,” the state government told SC.

On September 28, a five-judge constitution bench, headed by the then CJI Dipak Misra, in a 4:1 verdict had paved the way for entry of women of all ages into the shrine, saying the ban amounted to gender discrimination.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Gunshots fired outside Salman Khan’s Galaxy Apartment in Bandra, Mumbai Police investigates

A firing incident took place outside Salman Khan’s home in Bandra today, and investigation is currently underway.

Published

on

Early in the morning, gunshots were heard outside Salman Khan’s Bandra house. An unidentified person fired a gun into the air while riding a bike about five in the morning. Police are currently looking into the matter and conducting searches.

It has been reported that two men fired bullets outside Salman’s Galaxy Aparetment at around 5:00 am. A gunshot fire was found close to the air conditioner mounted on the wall beside it. An investigation has been launched by Mumbai Police to identify the gunman. The forensic team and the crime branch also arrived at the location.

However, there are currently no reports of injuries. The security around Salman Khan’s home has been inxcreased, according to the police. On the other side, the Bandra Police Station has received an official complaint (FIR) against unidentified attackers. DCP has also arrived at the location. Images of the two suspects who opened fire at Salman’s house on the bike appeared. In the images, the two accussed can be seen wearing helmets to prevent identification. Salman’s home has CCTV installed, and the image was taken using it.

This is not the first time that Salman Khan has been attacked or threatened. Several people have threatened to kill him. Gangster Lawrence Bishnoi had planned ahead of time to use his goons to attack the Bollywood actor. The man who was given the idea to kill Salman Khan is none other than Naresh Shetty, the mentor of mobster Kala Jathedi and the most important person in Bishnoi’s gang.

In addition, mobster Sampat Nehra had set up camp in Mumbai for a few days in order to attack Salman Khan. Not only that, but after escaping, infamous mobster Kala Jathedi also made Mumbai his home. At one point or another, all of these mob figures resided in Mumbai’s Vaasi area.

Meanwhile, on the occasion of Eid, Salman Khan frequently waves to his followers from the balcony of his first-floor Galaxy Apartment.

Continue Reading

India News

Lok Sabha elections 2024: BJP releases manifesto Sankalp Patra in presence of PM Modi, focuses on women, poor and youth

The BJP released its manifesto or Sankalp Patra, with tagline Modi ki Guarantee, for the Lok Sabha election 2024

Published

on

At the party headquarters in New Delhi on Sunday, April 14, the Bharatiya Janata Party unveiled their manifesto, or Sankalp Patra, for the Lok Sabha election of 2024, with the slogan Modi ki Guarantee. The manifesto was presented in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, party president JP Nadda, and other senior leaders.

The day marks on the anniversary of the birth of BR Ambedkar, a notable Dalit leader who drafted the Indian Constitution. A 27-member committee to draft the party’s manifesto, led by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, was constituted by the BJP and convened twice to discuss its contents. Ahead of this, the party conducted several campaigns on social media and sent out vans across the nation to get recommendations from the public.

The four pillars of Viksit Bharat—women power, youth power, farmers, and the poor—are the core of the manifesto, according to the prime minister. The PM said that the manifesto emphasizes both the quantity and quality of opportunities, as well as the dignity of life and quality of life.

According to the PM, the government will prioritize installing piped gas in every home and provide free solar-powered electricity.

A five-year extension of the Centre’s free ration system was promised in the manifesto. To stabilize prices and safeguard the plates of the impoverished, the government said it will concentrate on achieving self-sufficiency in the production of vegetables, edible oils, and pulses. It stated that every home will have access to drinking water and that the Ayushman Bharat scheme and the PMAwas Yojana would be increased.

As per the BJP manifesto, farmers would still receive Rs 6,000 in annual support, and the crop insurance program will be strengthened with the use of technology. According to the manifesto, the government will keep raising the minimum support price for crops on a regular basis, establish new clusters for the production of necessities, and construct more storage facilities.

JP Nadda, speaking to the media, outlined the accomplishments of the BJP government during its ten years in office. He restated that the central campaign slogan of the BJP, Modi ki guarantee, is a guarantee that all guarantees will be fulfilled.

Continue Reading

India News

Rameshwaram Cafe blast: Karnataka Home Minister reveals how police inputs helped NIA arrest accused

The blast at the cafe occurred during lunch hour on March 1 at around 1 pm, which left 10 people injured

Published

on

Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara said on Saturday that inquiry teams were attempting to determine whether the two suspects in the Rameshwaram cafe blast who were detained by the NIA had any connections to other terrorist groups. He also praised the state police for their contributions, some of which resulted in their arrest. Meanwhile, the suspects have been placed in 10-day police custody on remand.

The Karnataka police and the NIA have both performed incredibly well. In the beginning, they obtained all of the CCTV footage and monitored one of the accused, which helped in their arrest, he said.

The minister disclosed how the NIA was able to arrest the accused, which was possible because of a tip from the police.

He said the police shared very good inputs with the NIA, like the cap the accused was wearing, which was purchased from Chennai, and the telephone number he had given in the shop.

According to G Parameshwara, the services were also looking for connections between them and other crimes related to terrorism. He said that they might be attempting to flee from West Bengal to Bangladesh, where they were apprehended by the NIA.

He said the team is investigating the real motive behind the blast and their involvement with other terror outfits (ISIS), as these two (accused) are supposed to be involved in the earlier Shivamogga blast and kept running for three to four days ahead of getting arrested in this case, Parameshwara stated.

Since they were apprehended in West Bengal, a state that shares a border with Bangladesh, it’s possible that they wanted to leave the country. However, currently, they don’t have any precise information on this. He continued, They will discover in due course if there is someone assisting from that side (Bangladesh).

Meanwhile, the blast at the cafe occurred during lunch hour on March 1 at around 1 pm, which left 10 people injured. On March 3, the NIA took over the case from the police and announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for any information regarding the two accused.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com