English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Justice DY Chandrachud becomes 50th Chief Justice of India

Justice D.Y. Chandrachud was sworn-in as the 50th Chief Justice of India by President Draupadi Murmu. He succeeds Justice U.U. Lalit as the head of the Indian Judiciary.



Justice Chandrachud taking oath as the 50th CJI

Justice DY Chandrachud was sworn in as the 50th Chief Justice of India (CJI) on Wednesday by President Draupadi Murmu. CJI Chandrachud succeeds Justice UU Lalit as the head of the Indian judiciary.

Born on November 11, 1959 to the 16th Chief Justice of India, YV Chandrachud and Prabha Chandrachud, a classical musician, Justice DY Chandrachud graduated from St. Stephens College in Delhi with a degree in Economics and Mathematics in 1979, before obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in Law from the Faculty of Law at Delhi University in 1982.

Justice Chandrachud went on to study at Harvard University, getting an LL.M degree in 1983. He qualified for the Inlaks scholarship and received the Joseph H. Beale prize for securing the highest marks in the Conflict of Laws course. He finished his Doctorate in Juridical Sciences from Harvard and enrolled as an Advocate with the Bar Council of Maharashtra in 1987.

As an Advocate, he represented a labourer, who was denied further employment by the public corporation he worked for after contracting HIV-AIDS. Justice Chandrachud started focusing on social causes and represented bonded women labourers and people from religious and linguistic minorities, fighting for their rights.

Justice Chandrachud continued legal academics as an Advocate and took up the post of Visiting Professor of Comparative Constitutional Law at the University of Bombay between 1988 and 1997.

He became a Senior Advocate in June 1998, at the age of 38, which was rare, as the designation was usually given to Advocates above 40 at that time. 

He was later appointed as Additional Solicitor General of India, a position he held till his elevation as a judge of the Bombay High Court on March 29, 2000. This became the turning point in the career of Justice Chandrachud, who while serving alongside Justice Ranjana Desai on a criminal Bench, developed a ‘feminist perspective’ towards the laws and their application on social realities.

He became the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court on October 31, 2013 and held the position till his appointment as a Judge of the Supreme Court on May 13, 2016.

Justice Chandrachud became a part of the Supreme Court Collegium on April 24, 2021. The Collegium is a body composed of five senior-most Judges of the Supreme Court, which is responsible for the appointment of Judges in the Supreme Court, as well as the High Courts of the country. He was also the executive chairman of the National Legal Services Authority. 

India News

Removing innerwear of minor girls forcefully is equivalent to rape, says Calcutta High Court

A single judge bench of Justice Ananya Bandopadhyay ruled this out while hearing a 2007 minor case.



Minor Rape

The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday held that forceful removal of the innerwear of minor girls is equivalent to rape.

A single judge bench of Justice Ananya Bandopadhyay ruled this out while hearing a 2007 minor case. Justice Bandhopadhyay held that removing the undergarment of the minor victim and forcing her to lie down on the ground cannot be for any other reason than to sexually ravish her.

She also observed that the minor child cannot be pampered or mollycoddled by asking to remove her pants and reclining her against her wish.

The High Court was hearing a case of Robi Roy who was accused of luring a minor girl to a secluded place with ice cream and asking her to remove her innerwear. When the minor victim refused, he forcefully removed her undergarment.

Roy was declared guilty by a lower court in West Dinajpur in 2008. Reports said the incident came to light after the minor victim started screaming when Roy forcefully removed her innerwear.

The nearby locals rushed to the spot following her scream and handed over the accused to the police.

Reports further said the lower court declared Roy guilty in November 2008 and slapped him with five and a half years of jail and also imposed a fine of Rs 3,000 for the crime.

Roy challenged the order of West Dinajpur and moved to the High Court and claimed that he was falsely implicated. The accused, in his petition, claimed that he had no bad intentions towards the victim and expressed his fatherly affection towards the girl.

Reports also said the medical tests conducted on the minor victim proved that no sexual assault was carried out on her. However, the Calcutta High Court on February 7 ruled out that the incident is similar to the rape of sexual offence under Section 375 of the Indian Penal Code.

Continue Reading

India News

Two groups clash in Uttar Pradesh after argument, whips each other with belt, video viral | Watch

Minor children can also be seen caught up in the brawl between the two parties.



A video has come to light from Uttar Pradesh’s Aligarh where two groups clashed over a minor dispute, according to reports. The two groups were seen fighting each other in a busy street as both of them tried to gain on each other.

The incident is reported to be under the jurisdiction of Rorawar police station.

In the video, a commotion can be seen ensuing between two groups of people as both the parties use belts to whip each other. The traffic on the road can be seen ignoring passing by the fight between the two parties.

The video also shows one party chasing after another toward the end of the video as they scream and call out the people. Minor children can also be seen caught up in the brawl between the two parties.

Watch video here:

Another incident

Another incident also came to light from Uttar Pradesh’s Hapur where an elderly man was brutally beaten up by 4 car-borne men for crashing into their vehicle. The men can be seen brutally assaulting the elderly man irrespective of the elderly man’s age.

The video of the incident was recorded by the bystanders who were watching the harrowing incident unravel.

In the video, 4-5 men can be seen ganging up and fiercely beating up the elderly man after picking the man up from the ground following his crash. The men can be seen dragging the man toward the back of the car and beating him up.

The incident transpired on heavily thronged roads as cars and other vehicles can also be seen passing by the area where the elderly man was beaten up. The bystanders who made the video can also be heard in a state of shock to witness such a thing ensuing.

Watch video here:

After the video went viral, the police also took cognizance of the matter and registered a case in the matter in the Pilkhuwa police station. The police also informed that they are investigating the matter further, according to reports.

Continue Reading

India News

38-year-old man dies in lockup in Jammu and Kashmir, family alleges police torture, 2 cops suspended

The deceased’s family has alleged that he was tortured in custody.



38-year-old man dies in lockup in Jammu and Kashmir, family alleges police torture, 2 cops suspended

Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday suspended two cops after a 38-year-old man allegedly died under mysterious circumstances in a lockup in Kathua district. The deceased’s family has alleged that he was tortured in custody.

Kathua Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Shivdeep Jamwal said that two cops have been suspended and the post in charge has been attached to police lines in this matter.

Reportedly, the deceased has been identified as Sonu Kumar, who was arrested by the Kathua police on Saturday after they recovered 7 grams of heroin from his possession in the Goond area of ​​Kathua. He was later sent to a police lockup at Nagari Post on Saturday.

The officials said Kumar, a street food vendor, died under mysterious circumstances in the lockup on Monday night. His body has been sent to the district’s government medical college (GMC) for postmortem.

Kumar’s nephew, Rahul, said the former was fit and fine when he met him on Sunday evening. He alleged that Kumar died due to torture in police custody. Kumar’s wife has demanded justice and punishment for those responsible for her husband’s death.

SSP said a magisterial probe has been ordered in this connection.

Sonu Kumar was the sole breadwinner in the family. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Continue Reading



© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com