English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

BJP defers party polls to retain Amit Shah as chief, hopes for big victories in coming elections

Published

on

BJP defers party polls to retain Ami Shah as chief, hopes for big victories in coming elections

The BJP, as expected, has decided to retain Amit Shah as party president and go to 2019 Lok Sabha elections under his leadership, deferring the organisational elections, said media reports.

The decision was reportedly taken at the party’s national executive which got underway in the national capital on Saturday, September 8.The meeting, earlier slated for August, was postponed following the demise of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.

Shah’s present term was scheduled to end in January 2019. Shah had replaced Rajnath Singh as party president in August 2014 after the latter joined the Narendra Modi government as Home Minister. Shah completed Singh’s remaining three-year term. He got his first full three-year term in January 2016.

As per the BJP constitution, a person can get two full three-year terms as party president.

Inaugurating the meeting, Amit Shah said the BJP will return to power next year with a bigger victory than 2014, when it won a majority in Lok Sabha on its own for the very first time.

The party’s national office bearers, presidents of its state units, senior leaders and party workers are participating in the meeting which aims to discuss the BJP’s preparations ahead of elections in four states and the national election next year.

A slogan of ‘Ajeya BJP’ (Invincible BJP) was adopted at the meeting. They pledged to work for the party’s victory in Assembly polls in five states. The meet decided to give extra emphasis on the elections in Telangana, which is likely to go the polls with states like Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.

The issues of the National Register of Citizens will also come up for discussion at the national executive meet, said sources in the party. PM Modi’s pro-poor programmes focusing on “social justice”, the hike in the Minimum Support Price for a number of farm produce and the rise in the economic growth in the last quarter to 8.2 per cent will also be discussed, said a NDTV report citing party sources.

The national executive will be closely watched for political messaging by top party leadership to manage caste calculations ahead of the Assembly elections. Amendments in law effected to restore stringent bail provisions in the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act triggered protests by BJP’s core constituency of upper castes in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Bihar earlier this week.

The government had brought amendments in Parliament to nullify a Supreme Court order, which some NDA allies and MPs alleged had watered down the law framed in 1989. Protests in the first week of April by SC-ST groups against the court ruling had led to large-scale violence in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the national executive on Sunday afternoon.

The BJP is focusing on highlighting the centre’s steps for “social justice” and “economic successes” besides its schemes for the poor.

In a bid to reach out to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, the party has chosen the Ambedkar International Centre, as the venue of the meeting. “There has been an attempt to create confusion regarding SC/ST issue, but that won’t cause any impact on 2019 elections,” Shah told the office bearers, reported news agency ANI.

In the face of upper caste unrest, as a balancing act, the venue for the national executive has been named Atal Sthal after the late party patriarch, reported News18. Banners and posters with Vajpayee’s photos have been put up paying homage to the first non-Congress prime minister to complete a full term in office.

The party is likely to pass three resolutions in the executive, laying emphasis on the current political situation in the country and will prominently highlight schemes and programmes of the Modi government.

India News

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill rejected by President, CM Stalin calls it insult to federalism

Tamil Nadu’s NEET exemption bill has been rejected by the Centre. CM Stalin criticises the move, calls for an all-party meet, and vows legal recourse.

Published

on

Mk Stalin on NEET exemption bill

In a major blow to Tamil Nadu’s prolonged campaign against the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), the union government has rejected the state’s NEET exemption bill. The bill, passed by the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly twice — in 2021 and 2022 — sought to permit medical admissions based on Class 12 marks instead of the centralised NEET exam.

Chief Minister MK Stalin informed the Assembly on Friday that President Droupadi Murmu has turned down the bill, calling it an “insult” to the southern state and a setback for federal values.

Stalin slams Centre, calls for all-party meet

Responding to the rejection, Stalin criticised the Centre’s stance and labelled the move a “black phase in federalism.” He asserted that the Tamil Nadu government had provided all required clarifications on the bill but the Centre “chose to reject it” regardless.

Stalin announced that an all-party meeting of MLAs will be convened on April 9 to decide on further action. “The union government may have rejected our request, but our struggle is far from over,” he said, adding that the state would explore legal avenues to challenge the decision.

Social justice at the heart of Tamil Nadu’s demand

Tamil Nadu’s opposition to NEET has been rooted in concerns over equity and access. The state government argues that the centralised exam favours students from affluent families who can afford private coaching, thus widening the inequality in medical education.

Instead, Tamil Nadu has advocated for admissions based on Class 12 marks, which it believes is a more equitable approach ensuring social justice.

NEET under scrutiny across states

The controversy around NEET extends beyond Tamil Nadu. Last year, West Bengal passed a resolution opposing the centralised exam. Several national opposition leaders, including Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD’s Tejashwi Yadav, have also criticised the NEET system, especially in the wake of exam paper leak allegations and student suicides linked to the intense pressure surrounding the test.

Though the Supreme Court dismissed pleas for re-tests, citing no breach of exam sanctity, calls for reform in the NEET structure have been growing louder.

Continue Reading

India News

Suresh Gopi backs Waqf Bill amid land row in Kerala, calls it beneficial for Munambam residents

Union Minister Suresh Gopi supports the Waqf Bill citing benefits for Munambam residents, but lashes out at media over questions related to a recent priest attack in Jabalpur.

Published

on

Suresh Gopi

Union Minister Suresh Gopi strongly defended the Waqf (Amendment) Bill on Friday, asserting that the new legal changes would help people in Munambam, Kerala, who have been disadvantaged due to existing Waqf land claims. Speaking in Kochi, he criticised both the Congress and CPM, remarking, “Some people claimed the Waqf Bill would be thrown into the bin in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC). Let’s see how it pans out.”

He insisted that the amended law would correct past injustices and benefit local residents who’ve been entangled in ownership disputes involving the Waqf Board.

Heated response on Jabalpur priest attack

Gopi, however, grew visibly agitated when questioned about the recent attack on Malayali priests in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Reacting sharply, he said, “Go ahead and do a post-mortem of my tongue, but don’t dissect my mind.” He compared the incident to past controversies involving Christian leaders in Pala, Kerala, and questioned the media’s line of inquiry, stating, “Who are you? Whom are you questioning? Be very careful while speaking.”

His remarks came as reporters pressed for a response to the assault on Christian priests and community members in Jabalpur.

George Kurien demands justice for Munambam

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Minority Affairs George Kurien voiced strong support for the residents of Munambam during a Rajya Sabha discussion on the Bill. He demanded that the Waqf Board produce legal documents to justify its claim over land in Munambam and asserted that ownership must be restored to rightful holders.

Kurien emphasized that “any provision of law that contradicts the Indian Constitution must be amended,” and said that the rights of all religious minorities must be protected. He also accused opposition leaders of trying to mislead the Muslim community in Kerala, whom he described as “gentle and pious.”

Continue Reading

India News

BJP demands Sonia Gandhi’s apology over Waqf Bill remarks amid Parliament uproar

After the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, BJP demanded an apology from Sonia Gandhi for calling the Bill unconstitutional. Congress plans to challenge the law in the Supreme Court.

Published

on

Sonia Gandhi

The political temperature in Parliament rose sharply after the Lok Sabha passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, with the BJP demanding an apology from Congress leader Sonia Gandhi for her sharp criticism of the legislation. Mrs Gandhi called the Bill a brazen assault on the Constitution and accused the ruling BJP of pushing India toward permanent polarisation.

Her comments, made during a Congress Parliamentary Party meeting at Samvidhan Sadan, drew a swift backlash from the BJP, with MPs led by Nishikant Dubey demanding a formal apology. They accused her of undermining constitutional values and the Parliament’s authority. The protests led to the adjournment of Lok Sabha proceedings on Friday morning, as BJP members chanted slogans calling for her apology.

Sonia Gandhi alleges ‘bulldozing’ of legislation

Sonia Gandhi strongly criticized the passage of the Waqf Bill, claiming it was bulldozed through the Lok Sabha. She also targeted the Modi govt’s push for the One Nation, One Election initiative, calling it a direct subversion of India’s constitutional framework. “Whether it is education, civil rights and liberties, our federal structure, or the conduct of elections, the Modi government is dragging the country into an abyss,” she said.

She accused the government of promoting a surveillance state and claimed Prime Minister Narendra Modi was rebranding initiatives started during the UPA era as his own. Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi were present during the meeting, where Mrs Gandhi urged Congress MPs to aggressively counter BJP narratives.

Waqf Bill passed after intense debate in both Houses

The Waqf (Amendment) Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha after a 12-hour debate. Amendments proposed by opposition members were rejected via voice vote. The final vote count stood at 288 in favour and 232 against. The Bill later cleared the Rajya Sabha with 128 votes supporting it and 95 opposing, amid claims from opposition parties that it is anti-Muslim and unconstitutional.

The government defended the Bill as a historic reform for the benefit of the minority community. The Congress has since announced that it will challenge the law in the Supreme Court, with Jairam Ramesh stating that the party would very soon contest the Bill’s constitutional validity.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com