English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

Delhi court sends Mohammed Zubair to four-day police custody for allegedly hurting religious sentiments

The Twitter handle Hanuman Bhakt had only three followers until Monday evening but had increased to over 400 on Monday night.

Published

on

Mohammed Zubair

A Delhi court on Tuesday ordered the 4-day police custody to Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair, a day after he was arrested under the charges of hurting religious sentiments for a tweet that he had posted in March 2018.

Presenting him in Patiala House Court on Tuesday, the Delhi Police sought a 5-day custody of the Alt News journalist but court granted a 4-day police custody.

Appearing for Zubair, Advocate Vrinda Grover argued that the AltNews co-founder was being maliciously targeted and that the entire case borders on absurdity.

To this, the prosecution argued that Zubair’s deliberate act of outraging religious sentiments was on record and therefore his police remand was required. The prosecution also said the police need to recover Zubair’s laptop and other devices that were used to post the alleged objectionable tweet.

The Delhi police also told the court that Zubair allegedly used controversial tweets to hurt religious feelings in an effort to get fame.

Arun Kumar, Delhi Police Sub-Inspector, said Zubair has been arrested after a handle named Hanuman Bhakt raised objections on his 2018 tweet.

Zubair’s 2018 tweet shows a hotel signboard with the name Honeymoon Hotel repainted to Hanuman Hotel. Social media users pointed out that the image Zubair had posted is from a 1983 Hindi film.

According to the police, the 2018 tweet posted by Zubair had led to a Twitter storm with hate speeches, detrimental to communal harmony.

Following his arrest, Zubair was presented before a Delhi court late Monday night but the court denied the bail and granted 1-day custody to Delhi Police.

On Monday evening, the cyber cell unit of Delhi Police arrested the Alt News fact checker Mohammed Zubair for allegedly hurting the religious sentiments and promoting enmity by Delhi Police following a complaint by anonymous social media user who referred to a tweet from 2018.

The Twitter handle Hanuman Bhakt had only three followers until Monday evening but had increased to over 400 on Monday night.

Zubair has been charged under IPC sections 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups) and 295-A (malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings).

India News

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma says only 8 people applied for citizenship under CAA

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

Published

on

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said that only eight people have applied for citizenship under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) from the state so far.

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

The Assam CM further said that the State conducted outreach programmes in the Barak valley and approached many Hindu Bengali families and asked them to apply for citizenship under CAA. However, they refused to do so saying that they would prefer fighting their cases at the Foreigners Tribunal (FT), Sarma added.

Foreign Tribunals (FT), quasi-judicial bodies exclusive to Assam, are authorised to decide the nationality issue of doubtful citizens, he asserted. Sarma also claimed that most of the Hindu-Bengali families, who were not included in the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), told him that they possessed the necessary documents to prove their Indian citizenship and preferred the FT route rather than applying for through the CAA.

When asked whether the Assam government is dropping cases in Foreigners Tribunals (FT) against Hindu-Bengalis, Sarma termed it misleading. He said the State cannot drop any case. The government is simply advising that before initiating a case, individuals should apply through the CAA portal. Even if a case is filed, there won’t be any outcome because these people are eligible for citizenship, Assam CM emphasised.

CM also assured that he is going to request the Advocate General to flag the issue of CAA so that FTs can give time to people whose cases are going on to apply for citizenship under the newly implemented law.

He added that the government cannot give a direction to the court to pause while deciding the citizenship cases. The FT judges themselves have to decide and they know the latest situation, Sarma said.

He also explained why there was a low number of applications in CAA, saying the Opposition myth that 15-20 lakh Bangladeshis will get citizenship in Assam has been busted completely.

The Chief Minister said that during the anti-CAA movement, five Assamese youths lost their lives. So they made the sacrifice to prevent only these eight people, he asked. This abysmally low number of eight applications, of which only two turned up for interview, is a bit surprising for us also, he said.

Continue Reading

Latest Politics News

Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge hits out at PM Modi over his 8 crore jobs claim in 4 years

The Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha has accused PM Modi of spinning a web of lies about job creation in Mumbai on July 13.

Published

on

Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi after he claimed eight crore jobs in three to four years has silenced those spreading fake news about unemployment.

The Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha has accused PM Modi of spinning a web of lies about job creation in Mumbai on July 13.

Hitting out at PM Modi, the Congress chief reminded the Prime Minister what he said while announcing NRA – National Recruitment Agency. In August 2020, Kharge said, PM Modi stated that NRA would prove to be a boon for crores of youth.

Kharge further reminded what PM Modi also said through the Common Eligibility Test, it will eliminate multiple examinations and save precious time as well as resources. It will also give a big boost to transparency.

Questioning the Modi government, Kharge asked why has NRA not conducted a single exam in the last 4 years. He wondered despite allocating Rs 1,517.57 crore to NRA, only Rs 58 crore has been spent in 4 years.

Was NRA deliberately kept inactive to deprive SC, ST, OBC, and EWS youth of their reservation rights? the Congress chief charged. NTA committed fraud, paper leaks, and scams, and NRA didn’t even conduct the exam. BJP-RSS has taken up the task of ruining the education system and destroying the future of the youth, he slammed Centre.

The Congress chief response comes a day after PM Modi cited a recent Reserve Bank of India report on employment, saying that the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government’s commitment to stability and growth.

The Prime Minister took a jibe at the Opposition and said that the creation of eight crore new jobs in the past three to four years has silenced those who are spreading false narratives about unemployment.

PM Modi added that those spreading false narratives are enemies of investment, infrastructure development, and the country’s growth. He also said that Opposition policies betray the youth and hinder employment, adding that he said now Opposition is being exposed as people reject their lies.

Continue Reading

Latest Politics News

Mamata Banerjee to meet Uddhav Thackeray, Sharad Pawar, Akhilesh Yadav in Mumbai

She will be meeting Uddhav Thackeray tomorrow for political talks since they haven’t met after the Lok Sabha elections.

Published

on

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Thursday that she will meet Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, NCP leader Sharad Pawar and Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav in Mumbai on Friday to discuss the current political situation in the country.

Speaking to reporters today before leaving for Mumbai to attend the wedding of Mukesh Ambani’s son, as requested by Ambani, Banerjee said she will meet all the leaders in Mumbai tomorrow including Akhilesh Yadav.

The TMC supremo said that she is going to Mumbai as people know that Mukesh Ambani ji’s son is getting married. They have extended the invitation multiple times, and Mukesh Ambani ji has attended the Biswa Bangla convention multiple times upon Bengal’s invitation, she added. She said that she might not have gone, but since Ambanis have repeatedly asked her to come including Mukesh ji, his son, and Neeta ji, she decided to go, Banerjee further said.

On being asked about her political engagements in Mumbai, the West Bengal Chief Minister said she will be meeting Uddhav Thackeray tomorrow for political talks since they haven’t met after the Lok Sabha elections.

Banerjee said she would also go to Sharad Ji’s place and made an appointment to meet him as well. Akhilesh is also coming tomorrow and she could meet him as well. She will return the day after tomorrow, the TMC chief said.

The Shiv Sena, TMC, NCP, and SP are part of the Opposition bloc INDIA at the national level along with the Congress.

The Trinamool Congress chief also pointed out a fake video being circulated by the BJP IT Cell chief Amit Malviya and a section of the media for highlighting the video, ahead of Assembly bypools on Wednesday, that TMC men beating up a person inside a club.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com