English हिन्दी
Connect with us

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

BCCI chief selector Chetan Sharma resigns after sting controversy

He also made significant allegations about the purported feud between former skipper Virat Kohli and former BCCI president Sourav Ganguly.

Published

on

Chetan Sharma

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Chairman of Selectors Chetan Sharma resigned from his post on Friday following controversy over an alleged sting operation by a television news channel, Zee News. He submitted his resignation to the BCCI Secretary Jay Shah who accepted it.

Confirming his resignation, a BCCI source told the media that Chetan Sharma has submitted his resignation to the BCCI secretary. He further said Sharma’s position had become untenable after the sting operation. He added that he resigned voluntarily and was not asked to do so.

The former chairman of selectors resigned after revealing explosive remarks about the Indian cricket team during a sting operation that aired on Tuesday. He revealed the team selection process inside the cricket board.

Read Also: Will continue reporting without fear or favour, says BBC as tax survey ends

In a series of revelations, he also alleged that cricketers take injections to show fake recovery, speed up their return to international cricket, and often call up doctors to get injected. He alleged that many players take injections to expedite their return to competitive cricket despite being only 80 to 85 percent fit.

He also made significant allegations about the purported feud between former skipper Virat Kohli and former BCCI president Sourav Ganguly.

During a sting operation, Sharma revealed that Sourav Ganguly and Virat Kohli had an ego tussle. When Ganguly was in charge, batting legend Kohli had resigned as India’s captain.

Sharma claimed that Ganguly asserted Kohli to rethink his decision to step down as India’s captain. However, Kohli refuted Ganguly by stating that the decision at the time had been deemed a progressive step by the top Indian cricket board, Sharma said in a sting operation. In 2022, veteran opener Rohit was named the team’s captain across all formats.

Delhi man, son shot over parking dispute: Police

2 Muslim men allegedly kidnapped by cow vigilantes from Rajasthan, charred bodies found in Haryana car

Cricket news

Suryakumar Yadav denies leading player revolt after Jaiswal exits Mumbai for Goa

Suryakumar Yadav has laughed off media reports suggesting his involvement in an alleged player revolt within the Mumbai team after Yashasvi Jaiswal’s move to Goa.

Published

on

Suryakumar Yadav

In the aftermath of Yashasvi Jaiswal’s sudden move from Mumbai to Goa for the upcoming domestic season, speculations of an internal revolt within the Mumbai cricket camp sparked widespread buzz. Some reports suggested that senior batter Suryakumar Yadav could also be at the center of this unrest, allegedly leading a “coup” within the team setup. However, Suryakumar has firmly dismissed the claims, mocking the reports with a sarcastic social media post.

Jaiswal’s surprise switch to Goa

The buzz began after Jaiswal officially communicated his intention to shift to Goa from Mumbai, a state team where he nurtured his talent and eventually carved his path into the national side. His request was approved by the Mumbai Cricket Association on Tuesday. This made Jaiswal the third player in recent years to shift from Mumbai to Goa, following Arjun Tendulkar and Siddhesh Lad, who made similar moves before the 2022-23 domestic season.

Jaiswal’s final outing for Mumbai was during their Ranji Trophy Group A clash against Jammu and Kashmir from January 23 to 25, where he featured alongside India skipper Rohit Sharma. Unfortunately, both star batters failed to make an impact, and Mumbai suffered a rare defeat against J&K for only the second time in the tournament’s history.

Suryakumar’s sharp reaction

What followed Jaiswal’s transfer was a report that hinted at deeper unrest within the Mumbai camp, even suggesting that Suryakumar Yadav might be encouraging more players to consider exits. Reacting to this, Suryakumar took to social media platform X to post a screenshot of the story and wrote, “Script writer hai ya journalist? Agar hasna hai toh I will stop watching comedy movies and start reading these articles. Ekdum bakwas.”

The senior batter’s satirical tone clearly indicated his disapproval of the narrative, terming the claims baseless and absurd.

Jaiswal’s journey from Bhadohi to the national spotlight

Jaiswal’s cricketing journey has been far from easy. Hailing from Bhadohi in Uttar Pradesh, he moved to Mumbai at the age of 12 with big dreams. Struggling with financial hardships, he spent nights in tents before being mentored by coach Jwala Singh, who played a pivotal role in shaping his game. His rise through Mumbai cricket’s competitive ranks was swift, eventually earning him a place in the Indian team.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

New Zealand seal ODI series with dominant win over Pakistan, eye clean sweep in final match

Ben Sears’ five-wicket haul and Mitchell Hay’s unbeaten 99 powered New Zealand to a series-clinching 84-run win over Pakistan in the second ODI.

Published

on

Ben Sears celebrates five-wicket haul against Pakistan in second ODI

New Zealand registered a convincing 84-run victory over Pakistan in the second ODI in Hamilton on Wednesday, sealing the three-match series 2-0. With the final match set to take place in Mount Maunganui on Saturday, the Kiwis will now aim for a clean sweep.

Pacer Ben Sears was the standout performer, claiming a remarkable five-wicket haul (5/59) in just his third ODI. After going wicketless in his previous two appearances, Sears turned the tide with his fierce bowling, dismantling Pakistan’s middle and lower order.

Chasing 293, Pakistan’s innings fell apart early. Will O’Rourke removed Abdullah Shafique for 1, followed by Jacob Duffy dismissing Babar Azam (1) and Imam-ul-Haq, leaving Pakistan at 9/3 within six overs. Salman Agha (9) also failed to settle, and captain Mohammad Rizwan struggled before departing for 5 off 27 balls.

Tayyab Tahir (13), Mohammad Wasim (1), and Akif Javed were unable to revive the innings. A late 60-run partnership between Faheem Ashraf (73 off 80) and Naseem Shah (51 off 44) offered brief resistance, but the damage had already been done. Pakistan were eventually bowled out, with Duffy finishing with figures of 3/35. O’Rourke and Nathan Smith took one wicket each.

Earlier, New Zealand posted a total of 292/8 after being sent in to bat. Openers Rhys Mariu (18) and Nick Kelly (31) got off to a brisk start. Despite a middle-order wobble that saw the side slump to 132/5, a 77-run stand between Muhammad Abbas (41) and Mitchell Hay stabilized the innings.

Hay played a crucial innings, narrowly missing out on a century with an unbeaten 99 off 78 deliveries, including seven fours and seven sixes. His knock proved vital in pushing New Zealand past the 290-mark and earned him the Player of the Match award.

For Pakistan, Sufiyan Muqeem (2/33) and Mohammad Wasim (2/78) were the notable performers with the ball.

Having already secured the series, New Zealand now have the chance to sweep Pakistan 3-0 in the final ODI this weekend.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

Virat Kohli nears 13,000 T20 runs as RCB face Gujarat Titans in Bangalore

RCB return to Bengaluru aiming for a third straight win in IPL 2025, with Virat Kohli just 24 runs away from reaching the 13,000-run mark in T20s.

Published

on

Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) are all set to clash with Gujarat Titans (GT) in a high-octane IPL 2025 encounter at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru. With two back-to-back wins under their belt, RCB will be aiming to extend their winning streak to three and continue their dominant run in the tournament.

This match also marks RCB’s homecoming as they play their first match of the season in front of their home crowd. The excitement is high, not just for the team’s form, but also for the potential milestone that could be achieved by star batter Virat Kohli.

Kohli on cusp of a major T20 landmark

All eyes will be on Virat Kohli, who is just 24 runs away from becoming the first Indian cricketer to score 13,000 runs in T20 cricket. The veteran batter will join an elite club currently led by Chris Gayle, who has 14,562 runs from 463 T20 games.

GT pace threat and spin firepower

Gujarat Titans come into this contest with a potent bowling attack. Former RCB pacer Mohammed Siraj, now in GT colours alongside Kagiso Rabada, will be aiming to strike early and dent the Bengaluru top order.

GT’s spin unit, featuring Rashid Khan and R Sai Kishore, is expected to play a critical role against the likes of Rajat Patidar, Phil Salt, Devdutt Padikkal, and Kohli — all of whom are capable players of spin.

Bengaluru challenge for bowlers

RCB’s bowling attack, featuring experienced names like Josh Hazlewood and Bhuvneshwar Kumar, will be under pressure to perform on a ground known for its short boundaries and quick outfield. Despite the conditions, RCB will be banking on their bowlers to restrict GT’s scoring opportunities and maintain their unbeaten run.

RCB’s victories against Kolkata Knight Riders and Chennai Super Kings have showcased their strength in both departments. However, the Titans — fresh off a 36-run win over Mumbai Indians — pose a different challenge.

The stage is set for an intense contest, with RCB aiming to celebrate their return to Bengaluru in style and Gujarat Titans looking to build on their momentum.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com