English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Pakistan: PPP-ruled Sindh tries to distance itself from Nawaz son-in-law arrest

The political situation in Pakistan is getting stranger by the day with a regional police chief said to have been kidnapped by federal law enforcement just to okay the arrest of exiled Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif’s son-in-law and party worker Safdar Awan.

Published

on

qamar javed bajwa with imran khan

The political situation in Pakistan is getting stranger by the day with a regional police chief said to have been kidnapped by federal law enforcement just to okay the arrest of exiled Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif’s son-in-law and party worker Safdar Awan.

This bewildering claim has been made by Pakistan People’s Party spokesman Mustafa Khokhar whose party rules the Sindh province in a bid to distance the PPP from Awan’s arrest. While Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Bajwa has ordered an inquiry into the reported kidnapping of Sindh Inspector General Mushtaq Mahar, the Imran Khan government has not reacted to the outcry.

The episode comes on the heels of Sunday’s tens of thousands-strong protests in Karachi against Imran Khan demanding him to step down. Nine major opposition parties have come together under the joint platform of the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) last month to begin a nationwide agitation against the government. 

Imran Khan Prime Minister of Pakistan

With the worries over Pakistan’s economic conditions getting dire and double-digit inflation, the opposition says Khan has failed the nation on all fronts from the economy to governance. Nawaz Sharif has himself called Imran’s election in 2018 into question, saying he had been selected by the military as opposed to being elected by the people in the rigged election. 

Maryam Nawaz, the daughter and political heir of Nawaz Sharif, said that if the Imran Khan government was allowed to complete its term, it would destroy Pakistan. She said protesters have come together to protect and rescue the people of Pakistan.

Addressing the rally via video link from London, Nawaz Sharif accused Pakistan Army chief General Bajwa of orchestrating his ouster in 2017, saying the corruption charges brought against him were concocted. The Pakistan army is yet to respond to Nawaz Sharif’s accusation.

Read Also: End SARS Protests: Why tens of thousands of Nigerians have been taking to the streets?

Sharif was sacked by the Pakistan Supreme Court in 2017 on corruption charges and left for London last November for medical treatment. The next general election is scheduled in 2023.

India News

Pikachu joins protest against Trump and Musk, viral costume becomes symbol of anti-govt anger

A protester in a Pikachu costume became an unexpected face of resistance during the largest anti-Trump demonstrations since his return, with over 1,200 rallies across the US.

Published

on

Pokeman protest against Trump

Amid chants, placards, and impassioned speeches during the largest day of protests since Donald Trump’s return to office, one figure in Washington, D.C. stood out — and it wasn’t a politician. It was Pikachu.

The beloved Pokémon mascot, now apparently moonlighting as a freedom fighter, was spotted bouncing through crowds at the National Mall, joining the wave of resistance against President Trump and his adviser Elon Musk. The appearance comes just days after a similar Pikachu protest scene unfolded in Turkey, where the yellow-costumed figure was seen dodging riot police amid political chaos.

Saturday’s rallies, branded under the “Hands Off!” campaign, spanned all 50 U.S. states, with more than 1,200 protests from Anchorage to Miami. Demonstrators came out in droves to denounce what they see as the Trump administration’s aggressive attempts to gut federal institutions, slash social programs, and muzzle civil liberties.

In Washington, activists took the stage, from Graylan Hagler, who warned, “They’ve woken up a sleeping giant,” to Kelley Robinson, president of the Human Rights Campaign, who declared:

“They’re not just attacking policies. They’re attacking people.”

Protesters voiced anger over layoffs, immigration crackdowns, and the rollback of LGBTQ+ protections. Signs reading “Hands off our democracy” and “Hands off our Social Security” were spotted nationwide — though none quite outshone Pikachu, whose appearance went viral within hours.

Criticism wasn’t just aimed at Trump. Much of the fury centered on Elon Musk, who now leads the Department of Government Efficiency, tasked with overseeing sweeping cuts across government programs. Musk’s defenders say he’s saving taxpayers billions. Protesters say he’s turning public service into a pile of “404 errors.”

The White House responded dismissively, insisting Trump is committed to protecting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid — and accused Democrats of threatening these programs by offering them to undocumented immigrants.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, speaking at another rally, said:

“I refuse to raise my kids in a country where intimidation replaces leadership and diversity is seen as a threat.”

Continue Reading

India News

Hilarious protest signs from Hands Off rallies against Trump, Musk surface on internet

Musk’s aggressive cost-reduction strategies, which propose closing Social Security offices, slashing Medicaid funds, and dismantling the Department of Education, have ignited widespread fury and become the centerpiece of the demonstrations.

Published

on

Witty and humorous protest signs from the Hands Off rallies targeting Trump and Musk have gone viral on the internet. On April 5, an impressive half-million Americans on April 5 flooded the streets in a powerful display of opposition during the nationwide “Hands Off!” protests, marking one of the most significant collective standouts against the Trump administration yet.

From the bustling streets of Washington, DC, to the sprawling cities of Los Angeles, Chicago, and Seattle, people from all walks of political life united to challenge federal job cuts, the erosion of vital social frameworks, and assaults on fundamental freedoms.

This massive outcry was spearheaded by a diverse alliance of civil rights organizations, labor unions, LGBTQ+ supporters, veterans, and election reform advocates, all zeroing in on their disapproval of President Donald Trump and his newly appointed head of the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), Elon Musk.

Musk’s aggressive cost-reduction strategies, which propose closing Social Security offices, slashing Medicaid funds, and dismantling the Department of Education, have ignited widespread fury and become the centerpiece of the demonstrations.

Demonstrators brandished an array of signs and banners, voicing their concerns over everything from reversed climate policies to threats against immigrant rights. Infusing their protests with wit and satire, the crowd’s creativity shone through in their messaging.

One viral sign playfully twisted Trump’s discredited assertions about Haitian immigrants, reading, “They’re eating the dogs. They’re eating the cats?”—a cheeky critique of diminishing governmental oversight.

Another sign humorously protested, “Don’t tax the penguins,” poking fun at Trump’s odd tariffs on distant Antarctic islands.

The ingenuity continued with slogans like “Orange Lies Matter,” “Even the introverts are here. That’s how bad it is,” and “Sorry World. We’re trying.” A particularly amusing sign came from a protest dog, proudly displaying, “I sniffed better policies on a fire hydrant.”

Another jabbed at political figures with, “JD Vance thinks I’m a miserable cat lady—and he’s half right.”

Continue Reading

India News

Protesters across US and Europe voice anger against Donald Trump’s trade policies and leadership style

Tens of thousands marched across the US and Europe protesting Donald Trump’s policies on government cuts, civil liberties, and trade, with rallies held in over 1,000 cities.

Published

on

Anti Trump protest

In a fiery show of defiance, tens of thousands took to the streets across the United States and Europe on Saturday, unleashing the largest wave of anti-Trump protests since his return to the White House.

From Washington’s National Mall to New York, Los Angeles, and London, demonstrators railed against Donald Trump’s aggressive downsizing of the government, crackdown on civil liberties and global trade wars.

The demonstrations were organized by a broad coalition of progressive groups under the banner “Hands Off,” with events held in over 1,000 locations across the US and even in parts of Europe. Issues cited by protestors ranged from government downsizing, civil liberties concerns, and abortion rights, to fears of economic instability due to aggressive trade measures.

In Washington, a large crowd gathered at the National Mall, with speakers from across the country criticizing what they described as a dangerous and authoritarian shift in American politics. Representative Jamie Raskin, who played a key role in Trump’s second impeachment, addressed the demonstrators, warning against a “dictator who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

In New York, protestor Shaina Kesner criticized the leadership as privileged and unaccountable. Meanwhile, demonstrators in Los Angeles used creative symbolism, including dressing as characters from The Handmaid’s Tale to protest restrictive reproductive laws.

Across the Atlantic, rallies in cities such as London and Berlin echoed the disapproval. Protestors called out Trump’s foreign policies and his approach to global trade. In Berlin, one retiree went as far as to label Trump a “lunatic,” while others in London warned of global economic fallout.

One common thread across all protests was concern over the perceived erosion of civil rights and increasing authoritarian tendencies. Protestors warned against the jailing of opponents, attacks on immigrants, and pressure on democratic institutions. “We’re out here to stop the, honestly, fascism,” said Dominic Santella in Boston.

The economic direction under Trump also drew criticism. Many blamed his trade tariffs and diplomatic confrontations for market instability and international strain.

Despite the scale of the protests and dropping approval ratings, the White House has largely dismissed the unrest. President Trump remained defiant, stating, “My policies will never change,” reaffirming his stance on key issues.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com