English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Pakistan: Supreme Court disqualify Nawaz Sharif for life

Published

on

Pakistan: Supreme Court disqualify Nawaz Sharif for life

Tehreen-e-Insaaf leader says it doesn’t apply to him

In an unheard development, unprecedented in at least in the sub-continent, Pakistan Supreme Court has permanently disqualified former PM Nawaz Sahrif and alike to shed their political ambitions for life. The landmark verdict that will change the course of the country’s political history has, on Friday, ruled that disqualification handed down under Article 62 (1) (f) of the Constitution is for life.

According to Dawn the verdict was issued unanimously by all five judges of the bench. Former PM Nawaz Sharif was disqualified in the Panama papers case by a five-judge bench on July 28 under the same provisions of the country’s constitution.

The election for 342-seats of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) is scheduled to be held in July this year. In the previous elections held in 2013, Pakistan Muslim league-Nawaz (PML-N) won 166 seats, Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), 42 seats while Pakistan Tehreen Insaf  (PTI) won 35 seats.

Present Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi was sworn-in on 1 August 2017 as a stop-gap arrangement by Nawaz Sharif, who was disqualified for the office by the Supreme court in July last year. At the time of his election as PM, Khaqani was called as an interim PM for 45 days.

Pakistan: Supreme Court disqualify Nawaz Sharif for life

Article 62(1) (f), sets the precondition for a member of parliament to be “sadiq and ameen” (honest and righteous). Likewise, Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI)’s leader Jahangir Tareen was disqualified on Dec 15, 2017 by a separate bench of the apex court under the same provision. PTI is headed by cricketer turned politician Imran Khan.

Following the Supreme Court verdict, former PM Nawaz Sharif and PTI leader Jahangir Tareen have been disqualified to hold public office till the courts’ respective declarations against them hold.

This is considered to be a major shock and embarrassment for Nawaz Sharif and country’s ruling party Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz). Pakistan’s politicians have been complaining on earlier occasions about judiciary’s behavior being influenced by some agencies. However, none could substantiate such claims.

The decision, read out by Justice Umar Ata Bandial, stated that the disqualification of any member of parliament or a public servant under Article 62 (1)(f) in the future will be “permanent”. According to the constitutional provisions, such a person cannot contest elections or become a member of parliament.

Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, who was heading the bench, remarked before the verdict was announced that the public deserves “leaders of good character”.

“The restriction imposed by Article 62 (1)(f) of the Constitution for the eligibility of a candidate for election to Parliament serves the public need and public interest for honest, upright, truthful, trustworthy and prudent elected representatives,” reads the judgement.

It says the judicial mechanism in Article 62 (1) (f) grants a fair opportunity for relief to a candidate under challenge to vindicate himself. “Therefore, the permanent incapacity of a candidate for election under Article 62 (1)(f) of the Constitution is not an arbitrary, excessive or unreasonable curtailment of his fundamental right under Article 17(2) of the Constitution.”

“In the result, we are inclined to hold that the incapacity created for failing to meet the qualifications under Article 62 (1)(f) of the Constitution imposes a permanent bar which remains in effect so long as the declaratory judgment supporting the conclusion of one of the delinquent kinds of conduct under Article 62 (1)(f) of the Constitution remains in effect” said Supreme Court.

The apex court indicated that this will not affect on Sharif and Tareen. It also directed that all 17 appeals and petitions challenging the length of disqualification under Article 62 (1)(f) for possessing fake degrees be fixed before appropriate benches “for decision in accordance with the law laid down in this judgment, keeping in view the respective facts and circumstances of each case”.

Hence, anybody who is not Sadiq and Ameen (honest and righteous), including those of declaring fake qualification documents will not be spared.

Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed, a member of the bench who wrote an additional note in the judgment, observed that while a period of disqualification was specified in certain sub-articles of Article 63 of the Constitution, such a sunset clause is not found in Article 62(1) (f) because the framers of the Constitution chose not to do so.

Addressing the concern by some counsels of the petitioners that the lifetime ban resulting from Article 62 (1)(f) “may be disproportionate and a little harsh”, Justice Saeed maintained that such arguments were more suitable to be held in the parliament, rather than before the court.

“This aspect of the matter is rather ironic as several persons before us were or had been the Members of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) at some point of time and may have passed the amendments, which now stand in their way,” he wrote.

“We […] can only interpret the Constitution, not amend or change it,” the judge emphasised.

Dawn reports that Mazhar Abbas, a senior journalist, while responding to the apex court’s ruling, said that the judgment will have political implications. “Nawaz Sharif will intensify his narrative and it will be difficult for [PML-N president] Shahbaz Sharif to take a different line from the one being taken by [his brother],” he said.

At the last hearing, Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf had told the bench that it was not the function of the courts to say that the disqualification under Article 62(1)(f) of the Constitution was for life or to provide a timeline for disqualification. The question should be best left for parliament to decide, he had argued.

The AG had also emphasized that the provision did not determine the length of disqualification, adding that the court would have to look into the matter on a case-to-case basis.

Pakistan: Supreme Court disqualify Nawaz Sharif for life

Meanwhile, PTI leader Jahangir Tareen, who was disqualified on December 15 last year by the apex Court under the same provisions of the constitution has  said that the apex court’s Friday ruling on lifetime disqualification is “not applicable” in his case.

Responding through his tweet post, Tareen said “I always believed 62 1(f) to be for life but not applicable in my case. Full money trail provided of tax paid income, property declared in assets of children and not mine on advice of tax consultant. This was the only issue. My review is still pending and IA justice will prevail.”

The Friday ruling issued by the Pakistan’s Supreme Court has also indicated that present government could not influence its judgment through Attorney General. It has set an example for several democracies.

Latest world news

India calls US religious freedom body biased over RSS sanctions demand

India has criticised USCIRF as biased and lacking credibility after the US body urged sanctions against RSS members ahead of Mohan Bhagwat’s New York visit.

Published

on

India has criticised the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) after the US body called for sanctions against members of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) ahead of RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s scheduled visit to the United States.

External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal described USCIRF as a “biased organisation” and said it lacked credibility.

“It is a biased organisation. I would say that we should keep away from such organisations as they have their own agenda and lack any credibility,” Jaiswal said.

He also accused the body of making “disparaging and inflammatory remarks” about India and said the USCIRF was unlikely to engage with the country’s “pluralistic framework” or acknowledge the harmonious coexistence of its diverse communities.

USCIRF seeks sanctions against RSS members

USCIRF chair Asif Mahmood opposed Mohan Bhagwat’s upcoming visit to the US and called on the American government to impose sanctions against the RSS. Bhagwat is scheduled to visit New York on August 29.

The US body also urged Washington not to extend diplomatic courtesies to RSS leaders. It described the RSS as an “umbrella organisation” and alleged that its sub-groups had “perpetrated attacks on religious minorities”.

USCIRF said the US government should instead focus on imposing sanctions on RSS members found responsible for freedom of religious belief violations.

USCIRF’s earlier criticism of India

In its annual report released in March, USCIRF criticised India over alleged violations of religious freedom and recommended targeted sanctions against individuals and entities, including the RSS and Research and Analysis Wing.

The commission also recommended designating India as a “country of particular concern”.

USCIRF is an independent, bipartisan US federal government agency that makes policy recommendations to the US President, Secretary of State and Congress and tracks their implementation.

Hindu advocacy group criticises USCIRF

US-based Hindu advocacy group HinduPACT also condemned USCIRF members’ public opposition to Bhagwat’s New York visit.

Ajay Shah, founder and chair of HinduPACT, accused the commission of having “disgraced its mandate” and alleged that its chair’s remarks reflected an anti-Hindu narrative.

Shah also criticised groups including CAIR, IAMC and HfHR, alleging that they had portrayed Hindu self-assertion as extremism.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Japanese Defence Minister, pushes India-Japan security ties

PM Modi met Japanese Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi in New Delhi and discussed strengthening India-Japan defence and security cooperation.

Published

on

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, August 20, met Japanese Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi in New Delhi and discussed ways to further strengthen defence and security cooperation between India and Japan.

During the meeting, Modi outlined his vision for strengthening the India-Japan Special Strategic and Global Partnership and highlighted the importance of closer defence and security ties in promoting peace, stability and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.

PM Modi recalls India-Japan summit discussions

During his meeting with Koizumi, Modi recalled his detailed discussions with Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi during her visit to India for the 16th India-Japan Annual Summit in July 2026.

The prime minister also appreciated the steady momentum in defence cooperation between the two countries.

According to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office, Koizumi, who is on an official visit to India, called on Modi on Thursday.

Focus on defence cooperation and Make in India

Modi also highlighted opportunities for Japanese companies and startups to partner with Indian firms in the defence sector.

The discussions included possibilities for co-development and co-production under the Make in India initiative, according to the statement.

Later, Modi said in a post on X that he had an “excellent conversation” with Koizumi on deepening defence and security ties between India and Japan.

He said the Special Strategic and Global Partnership between the two countries is an important anchor for peace, stability and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.

Japan reaffirms commitment to deeper ties

Koizumi briefed Modi on the progress of bilateral defence cooperation during the meeting.

The Japanese Defence Minister also reaffirmed Japan’s continued commitment to deepening ties with India, the Prime Minister’s Office said.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump warns Iran’s trading partners of economic action: India’s exports to take a hit?

Trump’s warning against countries supporting Iran could create payment, shipping and logistics challenges for Indian exporters.

Published

on

Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump has warned countries, financial institutions and businesses against providing Iran with what he called an “economic lifeline”, saying those that continue supporting Tehran could face “TREMENDOUS” economic consequences.

Trump’s warning comes as the United States steps up economic pressure on Iran. For India, the development could have implications for exporters, particularly those shipping agricultural products, food items and pharmaceuticals to the Iranian market.

India’s trade with Iran has already declined sharply over the years. However, Indian exporters continue to maintain a trade surplus with Tehran, making the potential impact of tighter US sanctions an issue to watch.

What did Trump say about Iran?

Trump has announced what he described as the “most crushing economic operation” against Iran and said the US would pursue economic warfare and isolation against Tehran.

His warning extends beyond Iran itself. Trump said countries, financial institutions and businesses that provide Tehran with financial or commercial support could face severe consequences.

The activities cited in his warning include oil smuggling, cash transfers, currency swap lines, exchange houses, ship registries and front companies.

“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat,” Trump said.

He also warned that countries allowing their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities to support Iran could face “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences”.

How much does India trade with Iran?

India remains an important trading partner of Iran, although bilateral trade has fallen significantly from previous levels.

According to data from the Indian Embassy in Tehran cited in the report, India’s exports to Iran stood at $1.25 billion in 2025-26, while imports from Iran were around $370 million. This gave India a trade surplus of approximately $880 million.

The scale of bilateral trade is considerably smaller than it was several years ago.

In 2018-19, India-Iran trade was worth $17.03 billion. India’s imports from Iran stood at $13.53 billion that year, while exports were $3.51 billion.

By 2024-25, total bilateral trade had fallen to $1.68 billion.

This sharp decline means India’s overall economic exposure to Iran is now relatively limited compared with the size of the Indian economy. However, businesses that continue to depend on the Iranian market could still face difficulties if US sanctions and enforcement are tightened.

What does India export to Iran?

India’s trade relationship with Iran extends beyond energy.

Major Indian exports to Iran include:

  • Basmati rice
  • Tea
  • Sugar
  • Fresh fruits
  • Drugs and pharmaceuticals
  • Spices
  • Cereals and other food products

Iran also exports products including pistachios, dates, apples and kiwis to India.

Any disruption to this trade could therefore affect businesses involved in agricultural products, food items and pharmaceuticals.

Why could Trump’s warning affect Indian exporters?

The immediate risk is not necessarily that India’s entire trade with Iran will stop.

Instead, Indian exporters could face greater difficulties with payments, shipping and logistics if the US expands sanctions or increases enforcement against businesses and financial institutions dealing with Tehran.

Shipping disruptions and higher freight costs could add to the pressure. The Strait of Hormuz remains a key pressure point, while vessel rerouting, elevated freight rates and tighter container availability can increase the cost and complexity of international trade.

For exporters with direct exposure to Iran, such disruptions could make shipments more expensive and payments more complicated.

India’s exports are finding other markets

India’s broader export performance provides some cushion against a potential slowdown in trade with Iran.

India’s merchandise exports reached a record $44.24 billion in July, representing a 19.6 per cent increase from a year earlier, according to the figures cited in the report.

Engineering goods exports rose 17.7 per cent to $12.24 billion, while electronics exports jumped 57.4 per cent to around $5.9 billion.

Exports to the Middle East also increased 8.6 per cent to $5.7 billion.

India has also been expanding its trade across several other markets. In July, exports to China increased 64.57 per cent year-on-year to $2.2 billion, while shipments to Singapore rose 83.7 per cent to $1.6 billion.

Exports to the US increased 12.85 per cent to $9.02 billion.

The diversification of India’s export markets could help businesses reduce their dependence on individual markets if geopolitical tensions disrupt trade with Iran.

Will Trump’s Iran warning hurt India?

Trump’s warning could affect Indian exporters doing business with Iran through higher shipping costs, payment complications and weaker demand if economic pressure on Tehran intensifies.

The impact is likely to be more significant for businesses with direct exposure to the Iranian market than for the Indian economy as a whole.

India-Iran trade has already contracted substantially from its earlier levels. With Indian exporters increasingly accessing markets across regions including ASEAN, Africa, South Asia and North-East Asia, India may be better placed to absorb the impact of any further disruption in Iran trade.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com