English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Gujarat 2002’s victim Bilkis Bano wants her daughters to grow up in a safe India

Published

on

Gujarat 2002’s victim Bilkis Bano wants her daughters to grow up in a safe India

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Bilkis and her family have moved house over 20 times. The new threat to their livelihood is posed by gau rakshaks, says her husband.

By Rashme Sehgal

The Bombay High Court judgement on the Bilkis Bano case is historic as this is the first time that police impunity in criminal action has been acknowledged by the judiciary. State officials, including police and doctors, have been indicted for their role in aiding and abetting the most heinous of crimes.

The convicted policemen and doctors are Narpat Singh, Idris Abdul Saiyed, Bikabhai Patel, Ramsingh Bhabhor, Ramanbhai Bhagora, Dr Arun Kumar Prasad and Dr Sangeeta Kumar Prasad. They have received a sentence of three years imprisonment with each of them also expected to pay a fine of Rs 20,000 within eight weeks

On March 3, 2002, 19-year-old Bilkis Bano fled her village along with her father, mother and other members of her family in a truck because their homes  had been burnt down by Hindutva mobs following the alleged burning of a coach of the Sabarmati Express at Godhra, which resulted in the death of 56 people. The truck was stopped by an armed mob of rioters in Randhikpur village near Ahmedabad where not only did a mob gangrape a five-month pregnant Bilkis but went on to kill 14 members of her family including her two-year-old daughter and her ageing mother.

The most shocking aspect of this killing was how the bodies of Bano’s relatives were beheaded and then buried by the police in unmarked graves, which, in turn, were filled with what has been reported to over 90 kg salt to ensure quicker decomposition. The body of Bano’s daughter, Saleha, was never found.

Bilkis has suffered a  long, arduous journey to secure justice. Following the rape, she approached the Limkheda police station, where officials reluctantly filed a FIR but did not name the rapists, whom Bano had identified. In fact, all three rapists were known to her with two being in their early 50s. Her family used to sell milk to them and as she tried to flee from them, she said, “Why are you doing this to me. I know you and have been like a daughter to you.”

The judicial magistrate closed the case on the basis of inputs by the Gujarat Police who claimed they had found several “inconsistencies” in Bano’s version.

Bano appealed to the National Human Rights Commission, who, in turn, asked Harish Salve to represent her case before the Supreme Court. A CBI inquiry was ordered as also action against the Gujarat Police officers for effecting a cover-up. Since Bilkis and other witnesses were facing harassment, the Supreme Court transferred the case to Mumbai.

It was only in 2004 that the CBI arrested 12 accused people and found the Gujarat Police complicit in the cover-up. As she and other witnesses faced threats continuously, the Supreme Court also appointed a public prosecutor on Bano’s request.

On the basis of the CBI chargesheet, which named 20 people including six police officers and two government doctors as the accused, and the cross-examination of 73 witnesses, the Mumbai sessions court found 12 people guilty but acquitted five police officers and the two doctors. But the Bombay High Court went a step further and on May 4 this year, it upheld the life sentence to the 11 surviving convicts by the lower court, thereby vindicating all she had said from the start.

Speaking at a press conference in New Delhi, Bano and her husband Yakoob  Khan welcomed the judgement. “We are happy with the judgement of the Bombay High Court. My family is also happy. We are happy that the police and doctors have been found guilty. They must be punished,” she said.

“We have had to undergo a lot of sufferings. We want to start afresh. We want to educate our children. Such has been our experience in the last 15 years that our eldest daughter wants to become a lawyer now,” Bilkis Bano said.

Yakoob, who sat next to her during the press meet, was holding their young daughter. “Although our journey for justice has been longdrawn, our faith in the Indian judiciary had been re-established. We are relieved now. I also hope that, like Bilkis, rape survivors of all communities should get justice,” he said.

Elaborating on the challenges she faced over the last 15 years, Bilkis said, “We have faced many threats during our struggle for justice. The Sessions Court gave parole to the accused, who would come to our village to threaten us. They would hold meetings in the village to try and intimidate us.”

Since the 2002 riots, Bano and Yakoob have  moved homes at least 20 times while trying to find refuge in Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad and Vadodara.  Each change of address meant a change in their children’s schools. They had to take their young children with them, every time they had to make a court appearance in Mumbai, where Bano’s case was shifted once the CBI found evidence of the Gujarat Police’s complicity in the cover-up.

While the Bombay High Court directed that the fine money imposed on the accused be given to Bilkis, the sad reality is that there is no government mechanism to compensate survivors of communal violence.

As Bilkis said at the press meet that she has not received any help from either the state or the Central government. But she was insistent on one point. “No one from the government has met us in the last 15 years but today, I am grateful to the judiciary. I feel justice has been served. Mujhe insaaf chahiye, mujhe badla nahi chahiye ( I want justice, I do not want revenge). I want my daughters to grow up in a safe India,” she said.

Activist-writer Farah Naqvi pointed out, “Bilkis Bano in her writ to the Supreme Court filed in 2004 had asked for compensation. But amongst the list of injuries that the government offers compensation for, social violence has not even been acknowledged. The result is that Bilkis received Rs 1.75 lakh for the death of her  daughter as did her father and other members of her extended family for the loss of their family members, this is all Bilkis has received.”

She called for a national policy with standard norms of compensation to be paid for victims of social and communal violence, which can at least help them fight their legal battles.

Bilkis’ lawyer Vijay Hiremath from Mumbai pointed out that there is no clarity among states on the quantum of compensation to be paid to victims of violence. In 2016, the Supreme Court directed that all states come up with a scheme as to how much compensation they were willing to offer but this has been primarily compensation for rape victims.

“While Maharashtra is offering Rs 3 lakh, the state of Goa has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh. But Bilkis cannot lay claim to this only because this is not being applied retrospectively,” Hiremath said.

The Lucknow-based Madhavi Kuckreja, who has worked closely with a team of activists to provide support to Bilkis, regrets the lack of a clear policy in a country which is facing a rising graph of communal incidents.

“While the UP government has announced a policy to compensate acid victims, nothing is given to riot victims who often face physical violence and  are also victims of displacement. Following the riots in Muzaffarnagar, victims there were given Rs 5 lakh to build new homes but this is not the norm,” she said.

The accused in the Bilkis Bano case are expected to file an appeal in the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, Bilkis and Yakoob hope they can lead a more settled life in future. This will not be easy. Their families are in the cattle rearing and trading business which has been facing increasing threats from gaurakshak groups in Gujarat.

“Our traditional business has always been cattle-rearing and trading. But now we are being seen as butchers. We fear getting attacked all the time just for doing our job. We have to figure out what we will do in the future,” Yakoob said.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Bhubaneswar cab strike turns violent, 80 protesters arrested, 13 cops hurt

A strike by app-based cab and bike drivers in Bhubaneswar turned violent, leaving 13 police personnel injured and 80 protesters arrested.

Published

on

The ongoing protest by app-based cab and bike drivers in Bhubaneswar escalated into violence on Wednesday, with police arresting around 80 protesters and reporting injuries to 13 personnel.

The drivers and bike riders have been on a cease-work protest since August 17 over a seven-point charter of demands that includes a fare hike, lower application fees, social security and other benefits.

Hundreds of protesters marched from Raj Mahal Square towards Mahatma Gandhi Marg on Wednesday and blocked the road, affecting traffic around Master Canteen Square and areas close to the railway station.

Protesters allegedly pelt stones at police

According to police, personnel deployed at the spot attempted to persuade the protesters to clear the road. The situation allegedly turned violent when some protesters threw stones at the police force.

Police also alleged that three police vans and several government-run Ama buses were vandalised during the incident.

Narasingha Bhol, Additional Commissioner of Police (Cuttack-Bhubaneswar), said 13 police personnel, including the inspector in charge of the Capital Police Station, were injured.

“We are examining the CCTV footage. Strict legal action will be taken against all those who indulged in the violence,” Bhol said.

Bhubaneswar DCP Jagmohan Meena said around 80 protesters were arrested and vehicles parked at the protest site were seized.

The DCP said police had permitted the drivers to demonstrate at Mahatma Gandhi Marg on August 17, but the protesters continued their agitation and blocked a major road, causing inconvenience to commuters.

The situation has since returned to normal, with vehicular movement resuming. Police have also deployed additional personnel at Lower PMG.

Transport authority examines seized vehicles

The transport authority has started examining the documents of the vehicles seized during the protest.

Additional Transport Commissioner Sangram Patnaik said registration certificates of vehicles without valid documents would be cancelled.

“We are examining the details of the seized vehicles. We will cancel the registration certificate of vehicles that don’t have valid documents,” Patnaik said.

The prolonged strike has also affected commuters, with a large number of cabs, bikes and auto-rickshaws remaining off the roads.

Odisha government working on fare chart

Odisha Transport Minister Bibhuti Bhusan Jena said the government is preparing a rate chart for online cab and bike ride operators.

Housing and Urban Development Minister K C Mahapatra said the government also plans to further improve the Odisha Yatri app, with the aim of ensuring that drivers receive greater benefits from rides.

Continue Reading

India News

Congress stands by 1937 Vande Mataram resolution, BJP hits back

The Congress Working Committee has reaffirmed its 1937 resolution to sing only the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram at party events, prompting a sharp BJP response.

Published

on

The Congress has decided to continue with its longstanding position of singing only the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram at party events, amid an ongoing political row over the National Song.

The Congress Working Committee (CWC) on Thursday reaffirmed its 1937 resolution on Vande Mataram. The decision has drawn strong criticism from the BJP, which accused the opposition party of placing its political position above the country.

BJP national spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi described the Congress as a “new Muslim League” and questioned the party’s “patriotism and loyalty” to India.

BJP attacks Congress over Vande Mataram stand

Reacting to the CWC decision, Trivedi said the Congress had undermined its claim of being the principal party associated with India’s freedom struggle.

He alleged that the decision showed the Congress considered the party to be above the Constitution, Parliament and the country.

Trivedi also compared the Congress’s position with the Muslim League’s opposition to singing the complete version of Vande Mataram in 1931.

Congress defends 1937 resolution

Congress General Secretary KC Venugopal defended the party’s decision and accused the BJP of politicising the National Song and National Anthem.

Venugopal said Vande Mataram was an emotional issue for the Congress and maintained that the party’s position was based on the decision taken by its top leadership in 1937.

He referred to the presence of leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Rabindranath Tagore, Subhas Chandra Bose and Sardar Patel at the time.

Venugopal also accused the BJP of using the controversy as a distraction from issues such as alleged paper leaks and “chanda chori”.

Vande Mataram row intensifies

The latest dispute comes amid a broader political controversy over the singing of Vande Mataram. The government had earlier pushed for the full version to be sung at public gatherings and official events and Parliament passed a Bill making disruption or prevention of the National Song’s singing a criminal offence, according to the report.

The controversy intensified after former Congress president Sonia Gandhi was seen making gestures while the full National Song was being sung at the Congress headquarters on Independence Day. The BJP alleged that she was objecting to the full version, while the Congress rejected the claim.

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge also faced criticism after singing a shorter version of Vande Mataram at an event in Goa on Monday. The BJP termed it disrespectful to the National Song.

Kharge defended his position, saying he had sung the version previously sung by leaders including Gandhi, Nehru, Sardar Patel and Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He said that if singing that version was a crime, cases should also be filed against those leaders.

Continue Reading

India News

Mumbai restaurant licence suspended after FDA finds rats, cockroaches and unhygienic kitchen

Maharashtra FDA suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence after an August 18 inspection found rats, cockroaches, open drains, grease buildup and unhygienic kitchen conditions.

Published

on

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Maharashtra has suspended the food business licence of Hotel Radha in Malad (West), Mumbai, following an inspection that found serious hygiene violations in its kitchen.

The action was taken with immediate effect after a raid on August 18 uncovered an active rodent infestation, including live rats near the ceiling and rats emerging from open kitchen drainage lines.

Inspectors also found live cockroaches crawling over food preparation equipment, including a dough-mixing machine.

Inspection finds open drains and grease buildup

The inspection found that kitchen drains were left open and were not properly maintained. The condition of the drains created direct entry pathways for municipal sewage pests, according to the inspection findings.

The kitchen also had foul odours linked to water stagnation, grease buildup and drain seepage.

Videos and images from the inspection showed oil and grease covering kitchen counters and utensils. Storage units were also found to be dirty.

Food storage boxes and containers reportedly had mud and dust on them, while some utensils had rust.

Food preparation and storage areas found unhygienic

The inspection also documented several other unhygienic conditions inside the kitchen.

The dustbin was found open with waste inside it, while a toaster used for food preparation was placed above the dustbin.

Photos from the inspection also showed food ingredients being stored in unhygienic conditions.

The findings included both visible dirt and grease accumulation as well as pest-related problems inside areas used for food preparation and storage.

Maharashtra FDA orders immediate suspension

Following the inspection, authorities suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence under Section 32(3) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.

The enforcement order directed the immediate closure of all manufacturing, storage, sale and distribution operations from August 18.

The action is part of a statewide crackdown involving hotels, restaurants, government canteens and other establishments across Maharashtra.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com