English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Mamata Banerjee says after Maharashtra, Delhi, BJP enrolling fake voters in West Bengal before 2026 Assembly elections

The BJP, however, countered by claiming that they have already identified around 1.6 million fake voters in the state and are working to have them removed from the electoral rolls.

Published

on

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday accused the BJP of attempting to register 20,000 to 30,000 fake voters in every assembly constituency across the state ahead of the 2026 assembly elections.

Speaking at a public event, Banerjee claimed that outsiders were being brought in to manipulate the electoral rolls, warning that her party would thwart such efforts.

The Chief Minister accused the BJP of using “similar tactics” in Delhi and Maharashtra by enrolling fake voters from other states to manipulate election outcomes. She alleged that the BJP is now attempting to replicate these strategies in West Bengal to secure an unfair advantage in the upcoming elections.

“In Delhi and Maharashtra, the BJP won elections by enrolling fake voters from Haryana and Gujarat. Now, they plan to bring these fake voters to Bengal, knowing they cannot win here if the elections are conducted freely and fairly,” Banerjee claimed during a public address.

She further alleged that the BJP, with the help of the Election Commission (EC), is ensuring the enrollment of fake voters from other states in various districts of West Bengal. “We will identify these fake voters who have been enrolled with the BJP’s assistance. We will not allow outsiders to capture Bengal,” Banerjee asserted, vowing to protect the state’s electoral integrity.

“Officials have come to Bengal and are sitting here to register 20,000 to 30,000 fake voters in every assembly seat. The Election Commission of India will conduct the polls by deploying central forces. Voters who do not belong to Bengal will come and cast their votes. We will foil your plans,” Banerjee said without naming any specific party. She further alleged that voters from Bihar were being registered in West Bengal through online processes.

BJP leader and Leader of the Opposition in the West Bengal Assembly, Suvendu Adhikari, dismissed Banerjee’s allegations, questioning her awareness of the electoral process. “She has been the chief minister for 14 years. Does she even know what she is saying? The district magistrates are the registration officers for the electoral rolls. We have identified 1.6 million duplicate voters, and we will ensure their names are deleted before the 2026 polls,” Adhikari stated.

The controversy over voter registration comes amid similar allegations made by other opposition leaders. Last week, Congress MP Rahul Gandhi raised concerns about discrepancies in the 2024 Maharashtra assembly elections, claiming that over 39 lakh voters were added to the electoral rolls within five months. The BJP-led Mahayuti alliance had secured a landslide victory in those elections.

Earlier, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief Arvind Kejriwal had accused the BJP of manipulating Delhi’s electoral rolls by registering “fake” voters from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar ahead of the Delhi assembly elections.

With the West Bengal assembly elections scheduled for next year, the Trinamool Congress (TMC) has vowed to verify voter lists to identify and remove fake entries. “Our workers will verify whether the voters actually exist or if fake voters from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh are being registered. We will fight against this. The chief minister has instructed us,” said TMC leader and state Agriculture Minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.

The BJP, however, countered by claiming that they have already identified around 1.6 million fake voters in the state and are working to have them removed from the electoral rolls.

Her remarks come amid escalating political tensions in West Bengal, with both the ruling TMC and the opposition BJP preparing for a high-stakes electoral battle. The TMC has accused the BJP of attempting to undermine the democratic process, while the BJP has countered by alleging that the TMC is trying to divert attention from its own governance failures.

India News

Mumbai restaurant licence suspended after FDA finds rats, cockroaches and unhygienic kitchen

Maharashtra FDA suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence after an August 18 inspection found rats, cockroaches, open drains, grease buildup and unhygienic kitchen conditions.

Published

on

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Maharashtra has suspended the food business licence of Hotel Radha in Malad (West), Mumbai, following an inspection that found serious hygiene violations in its kitchen.

The action was taken with immediate effect after a raid on August 18 uncovered an active rodent infestation, including live rats near the ceiling and rats emerging from open kitchen drainage lines.

Inspectors also found live cockroaches crawling over food preparation equipment, including a dough-mixing machine.

Inspection finds open drains and grease buildup

The inspection found that kitchen drains were left open and were not properly maintained. The condition of the drains created direct entry pathways for municipal sewage pests, according to the inspection findings.

The kitchen also had foul odours linked to water stagnation, grease buildup and drain seepage.

Videos and images from the inspection showed oil and grease covering kitchen counters and utensils. Storage units were also found to be dirty.

Food storage boxes and containers reportedly had mud and dust on them, while some utensils had rust.

Food preparation and storage areas found unhygienic

The inspection also documented several other unhygienic conditions inside the kitchen.

The dustbin was found open with waste inside it, while a toaster used for food preparation was placed above the dustbin.

Photos from the inspection also showed food ingredients being stored in unhygienic conditions.

The findings included both visible dirt and grease accumulation as well as pest-related problems inside areas used for food preparation and storage.

Maharashtra FDA orders immediate suspension

Following the inspection, authorities suspended Hotel Radha’s food business licence under Section 32(3) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.

The enforcement order directed the immediate closure of all manufacturing, storage, sale and distribution operations from August 18.

The action is part of a statewide crackdown involving hotels, restaurants, government canteens and other establishments across Maharashtra.

Continue Reading

India News

Jharkhand exam row: Students suspend protest, give government 2 months Ultimatum 

Jharkhand students have suspended their 26-day protest over alleged recruitment exam irregularities and given the state government two months to resolve the issues.

Published

on

Students protesting alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations in Jharkhand have suspended their 26-day agitation and given the state government a two-month ultimatum to address their concerns and conduct a fair probe.

“We are now suspending the stir and giving a two-month ultimatum to the government to resolve the issues and conduct a fair probe into recruitment exam irregularities,” a leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch said.

The decision came a day after the state government issued notifications cancelling 22 recruitment examinations and ordering probes into 23 others conducted by the state public service commission and an outsourced agency since 2014.

Students demand probe into recruitment exams

Several job aspirants had been holding a sit-in protest in Ranchi, seeking an investigation into alleged irregularities in the 14th Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) Civil Services Examination, the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and other recruitment tests.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which led the agitation, also raised other demands alongside its call for action over examination irregularities.

Manch spokesperson Piyush Kumar Singh urged Chief Minister Hemant Soren to take stringent measures to prevent such irregularities in recruitment examinations from recurring.

The Manch also demanded the withdrawal of FIRs registered against protesters who took part in the August 10 march to the Assembly.

Another demand was the reinstatement of Santosh Kumar Mastana, described by the Manch as a whistleblower who had raised concerns over job examination anomalies, in the finance department.

Three protesters end 15-day hunger strike

Three protesters — Rupesh Kumar Pal, Savita Kumari and Rahul Kranti — ended their 15-day hunger strike on Wednesday, according to the Manch.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato had called off his hunger strike on Tuesday after meeting ministers and MLAs who visited him at Ranchi’s Sadar Hospital.

After the meeting, Mr Mahato thanked the government and said the ongoing investigation was targeting those involved in examination irregularities.

He also said the students would continue supporting efforts to remove corruption from the examination system and cooperate with the government in the ongoing reform process.

With the 26-day agitation now suspended, the students have given the state government two months to address the issues they have raised and act on their concerns over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

Continue Reading

India News

Tourists face alleged assault over shorts at Sinhagad Fort, 9 booked 

Nine individuals have been booked after tourists, including an eight-year-old girl, were allegedly assaulted over their clothing at Pune’s Sinhagad Fort.

Published

on

Pune’s Sinhagad Fort witnessed an alleged case of moral policing after a group of tourists, including an eight-year-old girl, were confronted and assaulted over their clothes on August 16.

Haveli Police have registered a criminal case against nine individuals in connection with the incident. According to Pune Police Superintendent Sandeep Singh Gill, the dispute began when a young man and another group of people stopped a family and questioned why their eight-year-old daughter was wearing shorts.

“An argument ensued, and the person was assaulted,” the police officer said.

The alleged attackers claimed to be members of a group called the ‘Fort Conservation Society’.

Tourists assaulted over clothing

According to officials, the incident took place when Sinhagad Fort was witnessing a heavy weekend crowd. The alleged members of the group confronted tourists, including the minor, over what they considered “inappropriate” clothing.

The confrontation allegedly escalated into physical violence, with tourists being beaten and intimidated. Women, children and elderly people were also allegedly subjected to mistreatment and physical assault.

Eyewitnesses said the incident continued for nearly two hours, leaving tourists frightened as they attempted to protect themselves.

Following complaints, Haveli Police registered a criminal case against nine named individuals. Further investigation is underway.

Sinhagad to introduce app-based tourist registration

The incident has also prompted authorities to take steps aimed at managing crowds at the fort.

Sinhagad Fort is set to become the first fort in Maharashtra to introduce app-based pre-registration for visitors as part of measures to manage tourist numbers and restrict vehicle entry.

Pune and its surrounding areas are home to several forts built during the Maratha period, including those associated with Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. These historic sites remain popular tourist destinations.

In recent years, some self-styled fort conservation groups have emerged in Pune, claiming to work towards preserving the structures and keeping them clean. However, locals and tourists have also alleged that some such groups attempt to impose their own rules regarding clothing and behaviour at the forts.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com