English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Apple executive killing: Second FIR filed, family meets CM Yogi Adityanath

Published

on

Apple executive killing: Second FIR filed, family meets CM Yogi Adityanath

The family of Apple executive Vivek Tiwari, shot dead by a policeman on Saturday, met Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath today, (Monday October 1).

The accused and one of his colleagues were arrested; they were sacked soon after.

Deputy Chief Minister Dinesh Sharma, who had escorted the family from their home, was present at the meeting at chief minister’s official residence. Kalpana was accompanied by her brother and two daughters.

The state government has announced a compensation of Rs. 25 lakh for the family. Additionally, Rs. 5 lakh has been given for Tiwari’s children’s education; another Rs. 5 lakh has also been given for his elderly mother.

“I have said earlier that I have faith in the state government. This faith has been strengthened after meeting the CM. I have lost the capacity to take a stand after the unfortunate incident, which should not have happened. It has shaken me. After meeting the CM, I have gained confidence that I will be able to fulfil the responsibilities my husband left on me,” said Kalpana Tiwari, wife of the Apple area sales manager.

“All my demands have been met. I wanted strict action against the guilty, a job, accommodation, expenses for education of my daughters and my mother-in-law. The Chief Minister acceded to all my demands,” she told reporters.

Earlier, a senior minister in the UP government had said that senior police officers tried to cover up Tiwari’s murder.

A special investigation team of the UP police, headed by Lucknow Inspector General Sujeet Pandey, visited the shooting spot on Sunday afternoon and spent two hours there. Samples were also collected from the spot – a good 48 hours after the incident.

Yogi Adityanath’s government had faced severe criticism after the killing of Tiwari. Home Minister Rajnath Singh had called him after the incident created an outrage across the country.

The 38-year-old Apple executive was shot dead early on Saturday by police constable Prashant Chaudhary after he allegedly tried to evade a routine check. Calling it “excessive use of force”, the Uttar Pradesh Police arrested two constables based on a complaint by Tiwari’s colleague, Sana Khan, who was in the car with him.

On Sunday, Kalpana filed a second FIR in the case claiming that police officials, who reached the spot, did not allow Sana, who was with him at the time of the shooting, from receiving or making calls. It also accused policemen of forcing Khan to sign on a blank paper.

A Special Investigation Team has been formed to investigate the case. On Sunday, a forensic team recreated the scene of the incident and inspected the two vehicles involved, Vivek’s SUV and the police motorcycle, and collected samples.

The claims of Uttar Pradesh policemen, who said they had shot the Apple store manager in self-defence, fell flat on Monday morning after a CCTV footage showed the car was being driven normally and without any suspicious activity.

Constable Prashant Chaudhary, who was on patrol duty on Friday night, had claimed that he fired at the car in self-defence as it tried to run over his motorbike.

But the CCTV footage of the car — when it was minutes away from the police check point— makes it clear that the vehicle was moving at normal speed. The video captures the car of Vivek Tiwari moving around 1:19am in Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow.

A second footage shows that the cops were riding their bike at normal speed at 1:24am without any trace of provocation from anywhere.

UP law minister Brijesh Pathak said strict action will be initiated against the senior officers who tried to cover up the incident. “All the lax officers who tried to cover up the issue will also be facing action. I never expected our police could stoop down to such a level. The only eyewitness was also forced by the officials. Her statement and the FIR did not match at all. Some policemen were seen carrying the culprit in their hands, which is very sad and shocking.”

India News

West Bengal government to stop welfare funds for imams and temple priests

West Bengal’s new government has announced the end of monthly honorariums for imams, muezzins and temple priests as part of a policy shift away from religion-based welfare schemes.

Published

on

The newly formed government in West Bengal has announced that welfare schemes linked to religious identity, including monthly honorariums for imams, muezzins and temple priests, will be discontinued from June.

The policy marks a major shift from the earlier Trinamool Congress government, which had introduced financial assistance programmes for religious functionaries after coming to power in the state.

According to reports, the first such scheme was launched in 2012, under which registered imams in West Bengal received a monthly honorarium of Rs 2,500. Similar support was later extended to muezzins and Hindu temple priests.

The new administration led by Suvendu Adhikari has maintained that government welfare initiatives should not be distributed on the basis of religion.

The announcement comes shortly after the BJP formed the government in West Bengal following the recent Assembly elections.

The decision is expected to trigger political debate in the state, as the honorarium schemes had remained a key issue in Bengal politics for several years.

Continue Reading

India News

ED arrests AAP Goa co-incharge Deepak Singla, Atishi alleges political targeting

AAP leader Deepak Singla was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate following searches linked to an alleged bank fraud case, triggering sharp political reactions from the party leadership.

Published

on

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday arrested Aam Aadmi Party leader Deepak Singla after carrying out searches at multiple locations in Delhi and Goa in connection with an alleged bank fraud-linked money laundering case.

Singla, who serves as the AAP’s Goa co-incharge, was questioned for several hours before being taken into custody by the agency. Officials said the searches were conducted by the ED’s Delhi Zonal Office-2.

The development comes months before the Goa Assembly elections scheduled next year and has triggered a strong reaction from the AAP leadership.

AAP national convenor Arvind Kejriwal claimed that Singla was being targeted for political reasons and alleged that he was arrested because he refused to join the BJP.

Reacting to the ED action, Atishi accused the BJP of using central agencies against opposition parties in poll-bound states. She alleged that the raids were aimed at intimidating party workers and accessing the party’s organisational data in Goa.

Senior AAP leader Manish Sisodia also criticised the Centre and alleged misuse of institutions such as the ED and CBI against opposition leaders.

According to reports, this is not the first time Deepak Singla has faced scrutiny from the ED. In 2024, the agency had also conducted searches at his residence in connection with the same alleged money laundering investigation.

Continue Reading

India News

10 killed in head-on collision between van and truck on sisaiya–lakhimpur highway

At least 10 people were killed after a van and truck collided head-on on the Sisaiya–Lakhimpur highway in Uttar Pradesh.

Published

on

At least 10 people were killed after a van and a truck collided head-on on the Sisaiya–Lakhimpur National Highway in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district.

The impact of the collision was severe, leading to multiple fatalities on the spot, according to initial reports from the accident site.

Following the crash, local authorities and emergency teams reached the location and initiated rescue operations. The injured were shifted for medical treatment, while efforts were made to clear the damaged vehicles from the highway.

Police have taken cognizance of the incident and further investigation into the cause of the collision is underway.

This incident adds to the growing number of serious road accidents reported on highways in Uttar Pradesh, raising concerns over traffic safety and enforcement in high-speed zones.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com