English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Ayodhya case: CJI condemns UP minister’s ‘Supreme Court is ours’ comment

Published

on

Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi today – Thursday, Sep 12 – condemned Uttar Pradesh minister’s comment that the Ram temple the BJP has promised in Ayodhya will be built since the “Supreme Court is ours”.

“We deprecate such statements,” said Chief Justice Gogoi, who is heading the five judge Constitution Bench that is hearing the case on Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi title dispute on a daily basis.

Senior advocate Rajeev Dhavan, representing the Muslim parties, told the court on the 22nd day of hearing that the atmosphere is not conducive to continue arguments on the matter.

Rajiv Dhawan also alleged that he has received a threat message on Facebook and yesterday his clerk was assaulted by few other persons in the apex court premises. He also cited the comments made by Mukut Bihari Verma, the cooperative minister in Uttar Pradesh.

In September last year, the minister had said, “The BJP has come to power on the issue of development but Ram Mandir will be constructed as it is our determination. The matter is in Supreme Court and the Supreme Court is ours. The judiciary, administration, the nation as well as the Ram Temple belong to us.”

Following huge criticism after the video clip of his comment was widely circulated, the minister said he meant that the top court belongs to the people of the country.  “By the word – ours – I meant the 125 crore people of the country. It was not a reference to the BJP or me,” he said.

This morning, when the bench assembled to commence hearing in the decades old politically sensitive case on 22nd day, senior lawyer Rajeev Dhavan, appearing for the Sunni Waqf Board and others, alleged that he has received a threat message on Facebook warning that “they will see him outside the court”.

Claiming that he was “under pressure”, Dhavan said that some people also messaged him asking which side he was on and whether he is against the deity (Ram).

“I cannot go on filing contempt after contempt,” said Dhavan. He had previously filed a contempt plea after he received a letter on August 14, 2019, from N Shanmugam, a retired education officer, threatening him for appearing for the Muslim parties.

Dhavan said this was only one of several instances of threats received by him for appearing in the case.

“It needs to be mentioned that the petitioner has been accosted both at home and in the court premises with intimidating behaviour by several persons,” he said, and referred to several WhatsApp messages sent by Sanjay Kalal Bajrangi in this context, reported The Hindu. He annexed screenshots of the messages in his petition.

The court also agreed to look into a complaint made by Iqbal Ansari, a litigant in the Ayodhya appeals, about an alleged instance of intimidation and attack on him.

Dhavan had informed the Constitution Bench that Ansari was accosted by a couple at his own house in Faizabad. They told him to withdraw from the case or face dire consequences. The woman had even introduced herself as an “international shooter”.

“This should not be happening in the country. We deprecate such statements… Both sides are free to put their arguments before court without any fear,” Chief Justice Gogoi said. The court also asked Dhavan if he needs security, but he declined the offer.

Clarifying that he was not “arguing against Hindu faith”, Dhavan said he had been non-partisan when it comes to arguing a case, which he did while arguing Kashi and Kamakshya cases in past.

The court is hearing appeals against the September 30, 2010 verdict of the Allahabad High Court in the case.

On August 8, a five-judge bench headed by CJI and including Justices DY Chandrachud, SA Bobde, Ashok Bhushan and SA Abdul Nazeer, had said that it will hear the Ayodhya title dispute case five days in the week – from Monday to Friday.

The Ayodhya dispute involves 2.77 acres of land in Ayodhya, where a 16th century mosque – said to have been built by Mughal emperor Babur – once stood. In December 1992, it was razed by Hindu activists who believe that the mosque was built on the ruins of a temple that marked the birthplace of Lord Ram. In the days that followed, thousands died in riots across the country.

India News

Wrestlers left to grapple with Delhi Police might, march fails, Jantar Mantar cleared

The wrestlers had called for a mahila samman mahapanchayat with support from farmers and khap panchayats from various states

Published

on

Wrestlers left to grapple with Delhi Police might, march fails, Jantar Mantar cleared

The Delhi Police on Sunday cleared the protest area occupied by protesting wrestlers in Jantar Mantar after detaining several wrestlers, including women, on their march to the new Parliament building which was being inaugurated at that time.

The wrestlers had called for a mahila samman mahapanchayat with support from farmers and khap panchayats from various states. With Delhi Police declaring the area around Parliament a no-go zone in view of the ceremonies there today, the wrestlers were not allowed to proceed on their march from Jantar Mantar.

The wrestlers, Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik and Bajrang Punia, were detained at Jantar Mantar when the protesters tried to clear the barricades and ended up breaking them.

Videos on Twitter showed a brawl between protesters and Delhi Police personnel as the latter tried to break up the altercation. A woman police officer can be seen taking a woman away from the protest scene in one of the videos.

Unfazed, Punia declared the mahapanchayat will take place today without fail. He said the wrestlers would continue their struggle for their self-respect. The Olympian bronze medallist said the Modi government was destroying democracy on the very same day it was inaugurating a new Parliament. He urged the authorities to free protesters who had been detained by police.

The borders into Delhi had been shut since the morning over the mahapanchayat timing with the Parliament inauguration. Traffic jams were legion along the peripheries of the city as farmers in tractors were refused entry into Delhi, leading to a long pile-up of traffic.

The wrestlers have been on protest since April 23 seeking action against Wrestling Federation of India chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, the MP from Kaiserganj and a UP strongman, for sexually harassing women athletes.

The wrestlers have won widespread support from farmers who have now stepped in to seek justice for the exploited women.

Continue Reading

India News

Caught on cam: Class 10 girl falls from school terrace in Ayodhya, family accuses school authority of rape and murder

The parents of the deceased girl said their daughter was called to school despite ongoing summer vacations.

Published

on

Caught on cam: Class 10 girl falls from school terrace in Ayodhya, family accuses school authority of rape and murder

A class 10 girl student died after falling off the terrace of her school building in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. While the school said the girl fell from the swing, the girl’s family accuses school officials of assault on their daughter.

The incident took place at 8:45 AM in the Sunbeam School, Ayodhya, of which the girl was a student.

The parents of the deceased girl said their daughter was called to school despite ongoing summer vacations.

At around 10:00 am on Friday, the parents received a call from the school administration informing them about their to have fallen from a swing and was severely injured.

The family then immediately rushed to the hospital but were informed by the doctors that their daughter had died during treatment.

The family doubted and informed the police about the incident.

The entire incident on the floor was caught on camera, the police during the investigation retrieved a CCTV footage that showed the girl falling on the floor.

Ayodhya SP Police on the matter said as the girl’s mother was out somewhere, once she comes back and once CCTV footages and other surveillance evidences are retrieved his team will conduct the investigation.

Deceased girl’s grandfather while speaking to media said at around 8:48 am, her daughter left for the school and at around 9:50 am, they received a call from the school authority.

The victim’s grandfather further informed that first they were told by the school management that the girl had fallen from the swing but later in the evening after watching the CCTV footage they got know to that she was thrown from from the terrace.

He further alleged that Brijesh Yadav, Abhishek Kanojia and another person killed her grand daughter. He again putting stress on Abhishek Kanojia’s name said he is responsible for the death.

School principal has distanced from giving any comments on the incident.

Continue Reading

India News

Bihar: Snake found in mid-day meal in Araria school, 100 students hospitalised

Reports said the incident occurred on Saturday at Amouna middle school Ward No. 21, under Jogbani Nagar Parishad.

Published

on

Mid-day meal Bihar

A ruckus broke out at a government school in the Araria district of Bihar after a snake was found in the Khichdi served to students under the mid-day meal scheme.

Reports said the incident occurred on Saturday at Amouna middle school Ward No. 21, under Jogbani Nagar Parishad and landed as many as 100 students in the hospital. Officials said the affected students are undergoing treatment and are out of danger.

The pictures of the dead snake floating in the Khichdi are doing rounds on the internet.

Have a look at the pictures:

Reports further said students were served khichdi prepared by an NGO during the mid-day meal and the students who already ate the food ended up barfing following which they were rushed to the Forbesganj hospital.

Araria district education office Rajkumar said all the students who ate the food are safe and an investigation has been launched into the matter.

DEO Rajkumar also said the NGO, which was assigned for the mid-day meals in the school, will face the cancellation of their license.

The school authorities noticed the dead snake after a student pointed it out and informed everyone. However, about 100 students had eaten the meal till then.

Reports said school teachers complained several times to the NGO about the bad quality of mid-day meals they have been serving to the students, however, their complaint was neglected.

This is not the first mid-day meal mishap reported in Bihar. In November 2022, as many as 200 students were hospitalised after eating mid-day meals at a middle school in Naugachhia in Bhagalpur.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com