English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

J&K encounter: 13 militants killed in three encounters in one day

Published

on

J&K encounter: 13 militants killed in three encounters in one day

Security forces gunned down 13 militants, including the killers of Lieutenant Umar Fayaz, in three counter-insurgency operations that began at night and went on till late Sunday afternoon in Anantnag and Shopian disricts of Jammu and Kashmir.

Three army jawans and four civilians also lost their lives and more than 50 others were injured in the operations. As reports of the pre-dawn crackdown by a joint team of the Army, Jammu and Kashmir Police and Central Reserve Police Force spread, several civilians came out of their houses and tried to shield the terrorists, clashing with security forces, according to police. In retaliatory firing by security forces, four civilians were killed and over 50 others were wounded. Some of them received pellet injuries and were admitted to hospital in Shopian, the police said.

The encounters took place in three different areas — Draggad, Kachdoora and Dialgam — in the two districts, in which a total of 13 terrorists was killed, said J&K DGP Shesh Paul Vaid. Seven terrorists were killed at Draggad and five at Kachdoora in Shopian, while one was killed at Dialgam in Anantnag, Vaid was quoted as saying in a Times of India (TOI) report.

In a major success, security forces eliminated two terrorists, identified as Ahmad Malik and Rayees Thokar, who abducted and killed Lt  Umar Fayaz in May 2017 when the Army officer had gone to his hometown in Shopian to attend a wedding, Vaid said.

DGP Vaid told reporters that the security forces began operations based on specific information about the presence of militants at three places in south Kashmir. Operations were launched in Peth Dialgam in Anantnag district on Saturday evening after learning that two local militants of the Hizbul Mujahideen were hiding in a house in the area.

The Anantnag SSP tried to convince the militants to surrender. “He called the families of the two militants and let them speak to the ultras on phone to convince them to give up,” the DGP said. But the militants refused to yield and opened fire.

“In the retaliatory fire, a militant identified as Rouf Khanday was killed while another was captured,” he said. Rouf had joined militancy early this year and his picture with an AK-47 rifle had gone viral in the last week of March.

The army lost three soldiers in Kachudoora – Sepoy Hetram of Sonigasar Godard in Bikaner; Gunner Nilesh Singh of Nagri, in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh; and Gunner Arvinder Kumar of Sariana in Hoshairpur, Punjab.

Top security force officials said anti-militancy operations would continue in Valley and again asked the local militants to surrender. “I will like to make it clear that our operations against militants will not stop,” IG CRPF Zulfiqar Hassan told reporters while addressing a joint press conference with GoC 15 Corps Lt Gen AK Bhatt and DGP Vaid, said media reports.

Referring to people marching to encounter sites, IG said some people under the influence of anti-national elements go near the encounter sites and try to disturb the operations and appealed to them to  stay away from the encounter sites. “At encounter site, anybody can get killed or hurt,” he said, adding, “We will tackle the crowd with restraint but won’t shy away from taking very strict action.”

In all the three encounters in south Kashmir, people, mostly youth, attempted to march towards the encounter sites and pelted stones on the security force personnel in order to pave way for militants to escape.

Lt Gen AK Bhatt appealed young people of Kashmir not to get carried away by Pakistan or their proxies to the path of violence. DGP Vaid appealed the local militants to surrender saying, “It is painful to all us of to see the loss of young lives.”

“I appeal the parents of boys, who have taken the wrong path, that they should convince their wards to leave path of violence and come home,” he said.

Security officials have in the past also appealed the local militants to give up violence, return to their homes and join mainstream. The CRPF has also set up a helpline “Madadgar” to facilitate surrender of the local militants.

Chief Minister, Mehbooba Mufti expressed grief over the death of two civilians during security operations in south Kashmir. She has also sympathised with those injured during these operations.

Mehbooba also paid tributes to three army men killed during these operations and conveyed her sympathies with the bereaved families and prayed for peace to the departed souls.

Authorities have suspended mobile Internet and train services and ordered the closure of all colleges and schools in the Valley on Monday while separatist leaders called for a shutdown on Sunday and Monday.

India News

RSS not seeking political power, focused on uniting Hindu society, says Mohan Bhagwat

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat said the organisation is not seeking political power but is focused on uniting Hindu society and promoting character-building during an interaction with athletes in Meerut.

Published

on

Mohan Bhagwat

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat on Friday said the organisation is not driven by any ambition for political power and is instead dedicated to uniting Hindu society and building individual character.

He made the remarks while interacting with nearly 950 national and international sportspersons at Madhav Kunj in Shatabdi Nagar, Meerut, as part of the RSS centenary outreach initiatives. According to participants present at the event, Bhagwat spoke for about 50 minutes and stressed the importance of social harmony and collective responsibility in nation-building.

Quoting Bhagwat, a participant said the RSS’ “sole objective is the organisation of the entire Hindu society and character-building of individuals,” adding that the organisation does not function in opposition to or competition with any specific group.

Emphasis on unity and cultural roots

Explaining his idea of India, Bhagwat said the nation goes beyond geographical boundaries and draws inspiration from figures such as Lord Ram, Lord Krishna, Lord Buddha, Lord Mahavira, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayanand and Mahatma Gandhi, participants said.

He reportedly stated that the term “Hindu” reflects unity in diversity rather than caste identity. Differences in modes of worship and deities, he said, do not weaken society as long as cultural harmony is preserved. He added that whenever social unity declined, the country faced crises.

The RSS chief outlined four foundational pillars of society — value inculcation, Sanatan culture, the spirit of dharma and adherence to truth — reiterating that the Sangh’s mission centres on strengthening society through individual development. Volunteers, he said, are active across various spheres of social life and prioritise national interest.

Sports as a tool for nation-building

Addressing the athletes, Bhagwat described sports as a powerful medium for bringing people together. He said nation-building is not the responsibility of any single organisation but of society as a whole.

Referring to Meerut’s historic role in the First War of Independence in 1857, he said the legacy later inspired Keshav Baliram Hedgewar to establish the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in 1925.

Bhagwat also shared five guiding principles for those interested in associating with the RSS — understanding the organisation from within, engaging with its affiliated bodies, supporting its programmes, maintaining dialogue and working selflessly for the nation. He also answered questions from athletes during the session.

Outreach events in Uttar Pradesh

Bhagwat is currently on a tour of Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, he attended a two-day outreach event in Lucknow on February 17 and 18 and had also visited Gorakhpur. During his stay in Lucknow, he briefly met Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, while both deputy chief ministers called on him before he left for Meerut.

Arjuna Award-winning wrestler Alka Tomar described the programme as grand and praised the organisational efforts of RSS volunteers. She said sportspersons must contribute to nation-building and appreciated Bhagwat’s emphasis on working in the national interest.

Para Cricket Club of India player Surya Pratap Mishra of Bareilly, selected for a Sri Lanka tour, said Bhagwat assured support for para athletes to help them enhance the country’s pride. Kabaddi coach Pintu Malik from Shukratal in Muzaffarnagar termed the interaction inspiring, especially the message that players should support one another.

Bhagwat reached Meerut on Thursday night and held breakfast discussions on Friday with representatives from the sports and industry sectors. On Saturday, he is scheduled to interact with members of the intelligentsia, including representatives from education, industry, medicine, literature, art and trade. Entry to the event is restricted to invitees with passes issued by the RSS headquarters.

Continue Reading

India News

BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte dies after prolonged battle with injuries from Manipur violence

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte has died in Gurugram nearly two years after suffering severe injuries in the 2023 ethnic violence in Imphal.

Published

on

BJP MLA (1)

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte, who had been battling severe injuries sustained during the outbreak of ethnic violence in May 2023, died at a hospital in Haryana’s Gurugram on Thursday.

Valte, a representative from the Thanlon assembly constituency in Churachandpur district, was attacked in Imphal when tensions between Meitei and Kuki-Zomi communities escalated into widespread clashes. The assault left him with critical head injuries that significantly affected his mobility and speech.

Long medical struggle after 2023 attack

Following the attack on May 4, 2023, Valte was admitted to a hospital in Delhi, where he spent several months in intensive care. According to his family, he suffered debilitating head trauma that left him wheelchair-bound and dependent on assistance for routine physical movements.

Despite prolonged treatment in the national capital for nearly two years, his health remained fragile. He later returned to Manipur, but complications linked to the injuries persisted.

Earlier this month, Valte complained of breathlessness and chest pain, prompting doctors to stabilise him in intensive care before he was flown to Delhi in an air ambulance on February 8. His condition had reportedly shown slight improvement before the transfer.

Family alleges role of Arambai Tenggol

Valte’s family had alleged that members of the Meitei group Arambai Tenggol were responsible for the attack in 2023. His son, David Mang Valte, had earlier stated that the MLA was assaulted while returning after meeting the then Chief Minister amid the communal crisis involving Kuki, Meitei and Zomi communities.

Valte belonged to the Zomi tribe and was serving as a BJP legislator from Thanlon at the time of his death.

Condolences pour in

Several political leaders expressed grief over his passing. Two-time MLA T Robindro Singh said his last meeting with Valte at Imphal Airport before he was airlifted for advanced treatment remains “deeply emotional and unforgettable.” He described Valte as a kind-hearted and humble leader who was always concerned about the welfare of the people.

Valte’s death marks the end of a prolonged and painful chapter that began with the outbreak of ethnic unrest in Manipur in 2023.

Continue Reading

India News

Amit Shah launches Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam

Amit Shah has launched the Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam to develop 140 villages along the Bangladesh border with improved infrastructure and employment opportunities.

Published

on

Amit Shah

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday launched the second phase of the Vibrant Village Programme in Assam, announcing a Rs 6,900-crore investment aimed at strengthening development in border areas.

The initiative seeks to transform 140 villages along the Bangladesh border in Assam into centres of modern education, employment and infrastructure. Shah formally inaugurated the programme at Natanpur village in the Barak Valley region of the state.

Focus on education, jobs and infrastructure

Addressing the gathering, Shah said the programme would ensure that border villages receive facilities on par with other parts of the country. He credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi for prioritising development in these regions.

“Today, we are officially beginning the Vibrant Village Programme-II, and through this, we will bring development to bordering villages and facilities like any other place across the country. This has been possible because of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” Shah said.

He added that Natanpur would not be known merely for its proximity to the border but for excelling in education, employment generation, road connectivity, telecommunications and electricity.

Coverage across 17 states

According to Shah, the Centre has earmarked Rs 6,900 crore under Vibrant Village Programme-II to develop 334 blocks and 1,954 villages across 17 states.

In Assam alone, nine districts, 26 blocks and 140 villages have been identified under the scheme. Shah said all amenities in these villages would match those available in other villages across India.

“There was a time when border villages were called the last villages and lacked many amenities, but Prime Minister Narendra Modi decided that all border villages will be the first villages. Now these villages will be first in road, sanitation, drinking water, communications, employment and education,” he said.

The programme aims to strengthen infrastructure and socio-economic conditions in border areas, particularly those along the Bangladesh frontier in Assam.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com