Ajit Pawar game: Was Sharad Pawar really in the dark?
The reason behind the move was ascribed to him being meted poor treatment within the NCP, with Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde saying the same after the swearing-in yesterday.
Ajit Pawar’s about-turn has turned the politics of Maharashtra and the country since the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has been central in the Opposition build-up for Lok Sabha 2024. The 63-year-old NCP leader, once considered NCP patriarch Sharad Pawar’s political heir, has now set off on his own political path.
Ajit Pawar’s switching sides did not come as a surprise to many as it was expected for some time now but making his way straight to Raj Bhavan as just an MLA and stepping out as Deputy Chief Minister on a Sunday afternoon with no political buzz or resort drama startled many.
The reason behind the move was ascribed to him being meted poor treatment within the NCP, with Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde saying the same after the swearing-in yesterday.
Discussion within political circles was on the lines of saying ‘Bhanja, Sharad Pawar ko mama bana gaya’ meaning Ajit ditched uncle Pawar Sr, the one who is credited with shaping the nephew’s political career over the years. But is it really so, or is it a new game of tactics put to play chalked out by Sharad Pawar?
With his longevity of over 60 years in politics, the 84-year-old Sharad Pawar, credited as an astute political mind in the country, it is assumed by many that is a ploy of his to act like a dormant player on camera but be the kinetic force inside.
Speculation is rife that with an eye on the 2024 polls, Sharad Pawar has come to an understanding with the BJP top brass, which is eager for a third term.
The NCP patron may have sent 2019 dawn drama star Ajit to join the ruling alliance while he defines his role staying in the Opposition. A honest attempt to win even if it is heads or tails.
With Sharad Pawar key in stitching the 2024 Opposition alliance, analysts say he can help the BJP by sowing disaffection among the non-BJP alliance forming with the Congress in it.
The Pawar camp coup would also shield his party and party leaders facing corruption charges for a long time, including Ajit Pawar, Chhagan Bhujbal and Praful Patel, Pawar Senior’s former right-hand.
The scams made their way back into the headlines after Prime Minister Narendra Modi attacked the NCP leaders, for what he called, a Rs 70,000 crore corruption case at a rally in Bhopal.
The sequence of Sunday’s events begin with a meeting at Devgiri, Ajit Pawar’s official residence in Mumbai, which had Sharad Pawar’s daughter and NCP working president Supriya Sule in it, reports said Sule left the meeting abruptly.
Later responding to a question about the meeting, Pawar Senior, who was in his Pune residence, said he had no information regarding it, saying must have been a usual meeting convened by Ajit as the Leader of Opposition.
While reports claimed, Ajit Pawar had already resigned from the Opposition post on Friday, it is perplexing for most to understand how a micro-managing boss like Pawar missed that development.
Critics also pointed to Sharad Pawar’s body language after the oath-taking ceremony. He was captured on camera unworried nor did he make any direct attack on the nephew’s move.
Ajit Pawar had pulled a similar stunt some 3.5 years back on November 23, 2019, after Uddhav Thackeray snapped ties with the BJP. Ajit Pawar was sworn in Deputy CM in the hush of the morning hours with 35 MLAs under Fadnavis as CM, a government that lasted for less than 80 hours.
Back then, it was seen as a coup of Sharad Pawar, who was buying time to form the Maha Vikas Aghadi, comprising the Shiv Sena (then headed by Uddhav Thackeray), the NCP, and the Congress, just to form the alliance government with Thackeray as Chief Minister.
After repeated denials for years, last week, Sharad Pawar had admitted to the googly he had thrown in 2019. A senior NCP leader said with the 2024 elections on their head, the same pattern is being followed, the acceptance for which would come later from the Baramati strongman depending on which way the ball turns.
Ajit Pawar’s son seeks detailed probe into Baramati plane crash
Jay Pawar has demanded a comprehensive probe and action against the aviation firm after the Baramati plane crash that killed Ajit Pawar and four others.
Jay Pawar, the younger son of Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, has called for a comprehensive and impartial investigation into the plane crash near Baramati that claimed his father’s life along with four others on January 28.
In a social media post on Wednesday, Jay Pawar raised concerns over what he described as “possible serious lapses” that may have led to the fatal accident. He asserted that the aircraft’s black box is not easily destroyed and stressed that people of Maharashtra deserve to know the complete truth behind the crash.
Demand for action against aviation company
The ill-fated Learjet 45XR aircraft was operated by VSR Ventures Private Limited. Jay Pawar urged authorities to conduct a detailed probe into the firm’s operations and sought a ban on the aviation company pending investigation.
“A detailed investigation of possible serious lapses and irregularities of the aircraft firm should be done in a detailed and impartial manner,” he said.
The crash occurred near the Baramati airstrip, resulting in the deaths of Ajit Pawar and four others.
Call for CBI probe and sabotage allegations
Jay Pawar’s statement came a day after Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Sunetra Pawar and leaders from the Nationalist Congress Party met Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to demand a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the accident.
Separately, NCP (SP) MLA Rohit Pawar alleged there was reason to suspect sabotage in the crash and called for a multi-agency investigation involving experts.
During a press conference last week, Rohit Pawar also questioned the past record of Captain Sumit Kapoor, who was piloting the aircraft on the day of the crash. He referred to the pilot’s previous three-year suspension for alcohol consumption.
AAIB seeking support to retrieve CVR data
The Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) is conducting a detailed probe into the crash. According to the agency, special technical assistance has been sought to retrieve data from the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) of the Learjet 45 aircraft involved in the accident.
PM Modi sends congratulatory letter to Tarique Rahman after swearing-in
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla handed over Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s congratulatory letter to Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman following his swearing-in and extended an invitation to visit India.
Om Birla on Tuesday met Tarique Rahman and delivered a letter from Narendra Modi, congratulating him on assuming office and inviting him to visit India.
The meeting took place shortly after Rahman was sworn in as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister following his party’s victory in the recently concluded parliamentary elections.
According to details shared, Birla also spoke to Rahman over the phone to personally convey PM Modi’s congratulations.
In his letter, PM Modi extended his greetings to Rahman on the Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s win in the parliamentary elections and on his appointment as the next Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
“I extend my warmest congratulations to you on the victory of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party at the just-concluded parliamentary elections in Bangladesh and on your appointment as the next Prime Minister of Bangladesh,” the letter read.
The communication also included an invitation for the newly sworn-in leader to visit India.
Navjot Kaur Sidhu says Rahul Gandhi disconnected from ground realities
Navjot Kaur Sidhu criticises Rahul Gandhi after exiting Congress, alleging corruption in the Punjab unit and predicting defeat in upcoming state elections.
Former Congress leader Navjot Kaur Sidhu has launched a sharp attack on Rahul Gandhi soon after her exit from the party, accusing him of being detached from ground realities and failing to address concerns within the Punjab unit.
Speaking to reporters in Coimbatore, Sidhu said that Gandhi, who serves as Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, has not worked at the grassroots level and is unaware of what is happening within the party in Punjab. She stressed that understanding “ground zero” realities is crucial for leadership and said living in a “dream world” would not help the party.
Drawing a comparison with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Sidhu said that while Gandhi speaks well and “talks sense”, his actions do not align with his words. She claimed there is nothing personally against the Prime Minister and challenged critics to find evidence of wrongdoing against him.
Sidhu also alleged widespread corruption within the Punjab Congress leadership. She claimed she sought an appointment with Gandhi for eight months to inform him about what she described as “injustice” and internal damage to the party. According to her, party tickets had already been sold, and she warned that Congress is likely to lose the state polls next year if corrective measures are not taken.
In a direct message to Gandhi, she said that if he is unaware of developments within his own party, then he does not deserve the leadership position. She further alleged that corrupt individuals surround him while honest leaders are ignored.
Sidhu claimed that she and her family were promised key roles, including a deputy chief minister post with seven departments and a Member of Parliament position for her, but were ultimately given nothing.
Last week, Congress general secretary in charge of Punjab, Bhupesh Baghel, announced that Sidhu had been expelled from the party. The announcement followed her own declaration that she had quit.
The 62-year-old leader was earlier associated with the BJP and served as an MLA from 2012 to 2016 before joining Congress. Recently, she levelled serious allegations against Punjab Congress chief Amrinder Singh Raja Warring, claiming that ₹500 crore was being demanded in exchange for the Chief Minister’s post if the party wins the upcoming elections. She was suspended after making those remarks.
With Punjab heading towards elections next year, her allegations add to the turbulence within the state unit of the Congress.
APN News is today the most watched and the most credible and respected news channel in India. APN has been at the forefront of every single news revolution. The channel is being recognized for its in-depth, analytical reportage and hard hitting discussions on burning issues; without any bias or vested interests.