English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Top Stories

Supreme Court issues notice to Centre on please challenging government blocking 2 parted BBC documentary series

The government invoked emergency powers to pass the the order of censoring the BBC documentary. The order was passed under the provisions of the IT rules, 2021.

Published

on

Supreme Court

The Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to the Centre over appeals against the ban on the much talked about BBC documentary series India: The Modi question. The series covers the learnings of 2002 Gujarat riots and PM Modi’s link to it.

The Apex Court bench comprising Justices Sanjiv Khanna and MM Sunderesh while hearing the matter, instructed the Centre to submit the original records of the order to the court. The Apex court said that it can’t pass interim directions until it heard the Centre’s take on the matter.

The Apex Court’s direction to Centre for the original orders is expected to be produced before the court in the next hearing which will be in April 2023.

The Supreme Court Bench was hearing the joint petition filed by Journalist N Ram, Supreme Court Advocate Prashant Bhushan and Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra. The Apex court were also hearing another petition filed by Advocate ML Sharma.

According to reports, the government of India had ordered YouTube and Twitter to take down links shared about the BBC documentary. The order by the Centre was given on January 20 and the officials had reasoned the order by the centre by citing that the BBC documentary undermines the sovereignty and integrity of India and also said that the BBC documentary has the potential to harmfully impact India’s friendly relations with foreign states.

The government invoked emergency powers to pass the the order of censoring the BBC documentary. The order was passed under the provisions of the IT rules, 2021.

After the ban on the documentary in the Country, the Opposition parties slammed the ruling BJP terming the orders of censorship. Some opposition parties including Congress and Student outfits also organised a screening of the documentary.

The screening of the BBC documentary India: The Modi question added on to the ongoing row as the students clashed with the university administration and the police in order to organise screening of the two-parted series. The universities which saw clashes between the student outfits and the administrations include Delhi University, Ambedkar University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia Islamia University.

The government has dubbed the documentary to be a propaganda piece and questioned the objectivity. The Centre also hit out at the Documentary by the BBC stating that the documentary reflects a colonial mindset.

India News

Maharashtra sends controversial IAS trainee Puja Khedkar back to academy

Published

on

Trainee IAS officer Puja Khedkar, who has been the eye of the storm, has been asked by the Maharashtra Government to report back to the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie.

A letter from Maharashtra Additional Chief Secretary Nitin Gadre stated LBSNAA has suspended district training of Khedkar and has called her back for further necessary action. The letter said she has been relieved from the district training programme of the state government of Maharashtra and has been asked to join the academy by July 23 under any circumstances.

Khedkar had made it to the headlines for her alleged demands of a separate office and official car, besides using a beacon on her private luxury car without official sanction.

Earlier this month, a report regarding Khedkar and her father’s objectionable behaviour was sent by Pune District Collector Suhas Diwase to the state government.

Reports said Khedkar completed her MBBS and then appeared for the UPSC exams several times. According to her, she joined the IRS in 2019. In a later interview she said she could not join the IRS since there were some technical problems in the OBC allocation of her seat.

Thereafter, in November 2021, she applied and got appointed as the assistant director in the Sports Authority of India. She then appeared for the Civil Services Examination in 2021 and cleared the preliminary exam, the main examination, and the interview, securing the 821st rank.

However, she failed to present herself for a medical test to confirm disability claims of blindness and mental illness due to which she was getting benefits under the category of Persons with Benchmark Disabilities. Consequently, this persisted as a legal battle in Central Administrative Tribunal against UPSC.

Continue Reading

India News

VIP Party Chief Mukesh Sahani’s father found murdered in Bihar

Published

on

In a shocking incident that has shaken Bihar’s Darbhanga district, Jitan Sahani, the father of Vikassheel Insaan Party (VIP) leader Mukesh Sahani, was discovered brutally murdered at their ancestral home. His gravely damaged body was found on his bed this morning, prompting immediate police action.

Authorities, led by senior officer Jagannath Reddy, have launched a Special Investigation Team to probe the heinous crime. Initial assessments suggest the possibility of a robbery gone awry or personal enmity leading to the tragic demise of the former Bihar minister.

The incident has sent shockwaves through the community, with local residents expressing deep concern over the safety situation. The VIP party, known for its significant support among the OBC community and currently aligned with the RJD and Congress in the Opposition bloc, has been thrust into mourning.

Opposition parties, particularly the RJD, have vehemently criticized the state government under Nitish Kumar for failing to maintain law and order. RJD spokesperson Shakti Yadav condemned the incident, questioning the government’s ability to protect its citizens.

In response, Deputy Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary assured swift and strict action against the perpetrators. “The government stands firmly with Mukesh Sahani ji’s family during this tragic time,” he stated.

Meanwhile, Union Minister Chirag Paswan of LJP offered condolences and pledged to expedite the identification and arrest of the culprits. “Justice will be served,” he affirmed.

As investigations unfold, the people of Darbhanga await answers and justice for the senseless murder that has gripped their community.

Continue Reading

India News

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma says only 8 people applied for citizenship under CAA

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

Published

on

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said that only eight people have applied for citizenship under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) from the state so far.

Addressing a press conference at the Lok Sewa Bhawan in Guwahati, Sarma said that out of these applicants, only two have attended interviews with relevant authorities.

The Assam CM further said that the State conducted outreach programmes in the Barak valley and approached many Hindu Bengali families and asked them to apply for citizenship under CAA. However, they refused to do so saying that they would prefer fighting their cases at the Foreigners Tribunal (FT), Sarma added.

Foreign Tribunals (FT), quasi-judicial bodies exclusive to Assam, are authorised to decide the nationality issue of doubtful citizens, he asserted. Sarma also claimed that most of the Hindu-Bengali families, who were not included in the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), told him that they possessed the necessary documents to prove their Indian citizenship and preferred the FT route rather than applying for through the CAA.

When asked whether the Assam government is dropping cases in Foreigners Tribunals (FT) against Hindu-Bengalis, Sarma termed it misleading. He said the State cannot drop any case. The government is simply advising that before initiating a case, individuals should apply through the CAA portal. Even if a case is filed, there won’t be any outcome because these people are eligible for citizenship, Assam CM emphasised.

CM also assured that he is going to request the Advocate General to flag the issue of CAA so that FTs can give time to people whose cases are going on to apply for citizenship under the newly implemented law.

He added that the government cannot give a direction to the court to pause while deciding the citizenship cases. The FT judges themselves have to decide and they know the latest situation, Sarma said.

He also explained why there was a low number of applications in CAA, saying the Opposition myth that 15-20 lakh Bangladeshis will get citizenship in Assam has been busted completely.

The Chief Minister said that during the anti-CAA movement, five Assamese youths lost their lives. So they made the sacrifice to prevent only these eight people, he asked. This abysmally low number of eight applications, of which only two turned up for interview, is a bit surprising for us also, he said.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com