English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

West meets the East in historic summit in Singapore

Published

on

West meets the East in historic summit in Singapore

Trump and Kim sign “important and comprehensive” document

US President Donlad Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un  have signed a document described by American leader as “important and comprehensive” following a historic meeting between the two in Singapore.

The document said the two countries “commit to establish [sic] new… relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

North Korea also reaffirmed its commitment to working “towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” broad wording that could mean phased denuclearization in return for a number of potential American commitments along the way.

However, there was no word on any US commitments, including on the removal of harsh sanctions on North Korea and security guarantees that Pyongyang had previously demanded as a condition to denuclearize.

The US president said he had formed a “very special bond” with Kim and that the US’s relationship with Pyongyang would be very different.

“People are going to be very impressed and people are going to be very happy and we are going to take care of a very dangerous problem for the world,” he added.

The US and the North Korea have also agreed to work for peace on the peninsula and address prisoners of war (POWs) and missing in action (MIA) cases from the 1950s Korean war, in which the US was on South Korea’s side.

West meets the East in historic summit in SingaporeThe first ever meeting between the most unpredictable leaders, was held at the Capella Hotel on Singapore’s Sentosa Island on Tuesday.  The two leaders walked up to each other and exchanged a handshake set to go down in history.

The meeting began at 9 a.m. with a handshake, producing images that were carried live on television across the United States and beyond. They met one-on-one, accompanied by translators, for about an hour.

The two leaders arrived in Singapore on Sunday and met for the very first time on Tuesday morning. Kim Jong Un arrived at the venue in his limousine, at roughly 8:55 a.m. local time whileTrump arrived five minutes later.

Read More: Trump receive Kim’s letter from North Korean envoy

According to reports, the two leaders addressed media persons before walking into their one-on-one discussion. Trump said he is confident the talks will be a “tremendous success” and that “we will have a tremendous relationship, I have no doubt”.

The North Korean Times reports that the 33-year-old Kim Jong un was heard telling Trump, “Nice to meet you, Mr. President,” to which, Trump, who is twice Kim’s age, gave him a thumbs up.

Read More: Singapore may host Trump-Kim-Moon tripartite Summit?

Kim Jong Un said, “It was not an easy path here. There’s a history of holding onto our ankles (a phrase which means that someone is trying to hold someone else back) and it appeared there were times that there were unfortunate practices where they were trying to block our eyes and our ears, but we’ve overcome everything and come to this place. Many people in the world will think of this as a form of fantasy from a science fiction movie.”

Trump responded, “That’s true.”

West meets the East in historic summit in SingaporeThe U.S. President told reporters, “I feel really great. We’re going to have a great discussion and I think tremendous success. It will be tremendously successful. And it’s my honour and we will have a terrific relationship I have no doubt.”

After the brief exchange, Trump and Kim Jong Un made their way to the library at the Capella for their one-on-one private conversation, along with translators.

South Korea’s Yonhap news said that like the rest of the world, the South Korean President, Moon Jae In too watched the two leaders exchange their first historic handshake. He has been one of the key architects behind making the historic summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un possible.

Read More: Trump-Kim Summit not happening on June 12

Earlier in the day, Jae In said in a series of tweets that he was hopeful that the summit will to be recognised as a “historic milestone from war to peace.”

The South Korean leader also said, “The nuclear issue could not be completely solved by one summit but could take one year, two years or even longer for a complete resolution.”

Further, the South Korean media broadcast various gatherings across the country, which showed people cheering as they watch the historic moment on television sets.

Speaking moments after the two leaders signed the unspecified document, President Trump said that he had developed a “very special bond” with Kim Jong Un. “It’s been an honor to be with you.”When asked if he would invite Kim to the White House, Trump responded that he would: “Absolutely, I will.”

Standing again in front of their respective flags, where they began the historic day, Trump and Kim shook hands one final time.

Trump praised Kim Jon un saying, “(He’s) a worthy negotiator,He’s negotiating on behalf of his people.I learned he’s a very talented man. I also learned he loves his country very much.”  He said they would meet again.

Asked if North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to denuclearize, Trump said, “We’re starting that process very quickly, very, very quickly. Absolutely.”

Earlier, the White House said Trump will leave Singapore on Tuesday night, adding that nuclear talks with North Korea are moving “more quickly than expected.”

Trump was scheduled to return to the United States on Wednesday, but will now leave immediately after meeting with North Korean leader Kim on Tuesday, the White House said in a statement on Monday.

Read More: Trump-Kim Summit in jeopardy after US-South Korea drill

“The discussions between the United States and North Korea are ongoing and have moved more quickly than expected,” the statement said.

Trump will depart at 8 p.m. Singapore time, which is 8 a.m. in Washington, D.C. according to the statement. This is despite the fact that last week Trump said the summit could last “two [or] three” days “depending on what happens” in the meetings.

The US president reportedly re-scheduled his departure time from Singapore after Kim set the deadline for their historic summit. An American news organization reported on Monday that Kim will leave Singapore at 4 p.m. Tuesday local time after his meeting with Trump. Accordingly, Trump will leave Singapore four hours after Kim’s departure.

Read More: Trump welcomes Kim’s gesture of dismantling nuclear-test site

The details of the document signed between the two leaders will be made public later in the day. The two leaders may come in front of mediapersons before they depart from Singapore.

India News

Pikachu joins protest against Trump and Musk, viral costume becomes symbol of anti-govt anger

A protester in a Pikachu costume became an unexpected face of resistance during the largest anti-Trump demonstrations since his return, with over 1,200 rallies across the US.

Published

on

Pokeman protest against Trump

Amid chants, placards, and impassioned speeches during the largest day of protests since Donald Trump’s return to office, one figure in Washington, D.C. stood out — and it wasn’t a politician. It was Pikachu.

The beloved Pokémon mascot, now apparently moonlighting as a freedom fighter, was spotted bouncing through crowds at the National Mall, joining the wave of resistance against President Trump and his adviser Elon Musk. The appearance comes just days after a similar Pikachu protest scene unfolded in Turkey, where the yellow-costumed figure was seen dodging riot police amid political chaos.

Saturday’s rallies, branded under the “Hands Off!” campaign, spanned all 50 U.S. states, with more than 1,200 protests from Anchorage to Miami. Demonstrators came out in droves to denounce what they see as the Trump administration’s aggressive attempts to gut federal institutions, slash social programs, and muzzle civil liberties.

In Washington, activists took the stage, from Graylan Hagler, who warned, “They’ve woken up a sleeping giant,” to Kelley Robinson, president of the Human Rights Campaign, who declared:

“They’re not just attacking policies. They’re attacking people.”

Protesters voiced anger over layoffs, immigration crackdowns, and the rollback of LGBTQ+ protections. Signs reading “Hands off our democracy” and “Hands off our Social Security” were spotted nationwide — though none quite outshone Pikachu, whose appearance went viral within hours.

Criticism wasn’t just aimed at Trump. Much of the fury centered on Elon Musk, who now leads the Department of Government Efficiency, tasked with overseeing sweeping cuts across government programs. Musk’s defenders say he’s saving taxpayers billions. Protesters say he’s turning public service into a pile of “404 errors.”

The White House responded dismissively, insisting Trump is committed to protecting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid — and accused Democrats of threatening these programs by offering them to undocumented immigrants.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, speaking at another rally, said:

“I refuse to raise my kids in a country where intimidation replaces leadership and diversity is seen as a threat.”

Continue Reading

India News

Hilarious protest signs from Hands Off rallies against Trump, Musk surface on internet

Musk’s aggressive cost-reduction strategies, which propose closing Social Security offices, slashing Medicaid funds, and dismantling the Department of Education, have ignited widespread fury and become the centerpiece of the demonstrations.

Published

on

Witty and humorous protest signs from the Hands Off rallies targeting Trump and Musk have gone viral on the internet. On April 5, an impressive half-million Americans on April 5 flooded the streets in a powerful display of opposition during the nationwide “Hands Off!” protests, marking one of the most significant collective standouts against the Trump administration yet.

From the bustling streets of Washington, DC, to the sprawling cities of Los Angeles, Chicago, and Seattle, people from all walks of political life united to challenge federal job cuts, the erosion of vital social frameworks, and assaults on fundamental freedoms.

This massive outcry was spearheaded by a diverse alliance of civil rights organizations, labor unions, LGBTQ+ supporters, veterans, and election reform advocates, all zeroing in on their disapproval of President Donald Trump and his newly appointed head of the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), Elon Musk.

Musk’s aggressive cost-reduction strategies, which propose closing Social Security offices, slashing Medicaid funds, and dismantling the Department of Education, have ignited widespread fury and become the centerpiece of the demonstrations.

Demonstrators brandished an array of signs and banners, voicing their concerns over everything from reversed climate policies to threats against immigrant rights. Infusing their protests with wit and satire, the crowd’s creativity shone through in their messaging.

One viral sign playfully twisted Trump’s discredited assertions about Haitian immigrants, reading, “They’re eating the dogs. They’re eating the cats?”—a cheeky critique of diminishing governmental oversight.

Another sign humorously protested, “Don’t tax the penguins,” poking fun at Trump’s odd tariffs on distant Antarctic islands.

The ingenuity continued with slogans like “Orange Lies Matter,” “Even the introverts are here. That’s how bad it is,” and “Sorry World. We’re trying.” A particularly amusing sign came from a protest dog, proudly displaying, “I sniffed better policies on a fire hydrant.”

Another jabbed at political figures with, “JD Vance thinks I’m a miserable cat lady—and he’s half right.”

Continue Reading

India News

Protesters across US and Europe voice anger against Donald Trump’s trade policies and leadership style

Tens of thousands marched across the US and Europe protesting Donald Trump’s policies on government cuts, civil liberties, and trade, with rallies held in over 1,000 cities.

Published

on

Anti Trump protest

In a fiery show of defiance, tens of thousands took to the streets across the United States and Europe on Saturday, unleashing the largest wave of anti-Trump protests since his return to the White House.

From Washington’s National Mall to New York, Los Angeles, and London, demonstrators railed against Donald Trump’s aggressive downsizing of the government, crackdown on civil liberties and global trade wars.

The demonstrations were organized by a broad coalition of progressive groups under the banner “Hands Off,” with events held in over 1,000 locations across the US and even in parts of Europe. Issues cited by protestors ranged from government downsizing, civil liberties concerns, and abortion rights, to fears of economic instability due to aggressive trade measures.

In Washington, a large crowd gathered at the National Mall, with speakers from across the country criticizing what they described as a dangerous and authoritarian shift in American politics. Representative Jamie Raskin, who played a key role in Trump’s second impeachment, addressed the demonstrators, warning against a “dictator who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

In New York, protestor Shaina Kesner criticized the leadership as privileged and unaccountable. Meanwhile, demonstrators in Los Angeles used creative symbolism, including dressing as characters from The Handmaid’s Tale to protest restrictive reproductive laws.

Across the Atlantic, rallies in cities such as London and Berlin echoed the disapproval. Protestors called out Trump’s foreign policies and his approach to global trade. In Berlin, one retiree went as far as to label Trump a “lunatic,” while others in London warned of global economic fallout.

One common thread across all protests was concern over the perceived erosion of civil rights and increasing authoritarian tendencies. Protestors warned against the jailing of opponents, attacks on immigrants, and pressure on democratic institutions. “We’re out here to stop the, honestly, fascism,” said Dominic Santella in Boston.

The economic direction under Trump also drew criticism. Many blamed his trade tariffs and diplomatic confrontations for market instability and international strain.

Despite the scale of the protests and dropping approval ratings, the White House has largely dismissed the unrest. President Trump remained defiant, stating, “My policies will never change,” reaffirming his stance on key issues.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com