English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

11 deaths in protests against Vedanta-Sterlite plant: Madras High Court stays expansion, TN Govt orders judicial inquiry

Published

on

11 deaths in protests against Vedanta-Sterlite plant: Madras High Court stays expansion, TN Govt orders judicial inquiry

Violent protests continued on Wednesday after 11 persons were killed in police firing the day before on rampaging mobs protesting against the Vedanta-Sterlite industry for health problems caused by pollution.

While Vedanta regretted the incident and sought safety of its employees and permission to operate, it suffered a jolt as the Madras High court on Wednesday, May 23, put a stay on the construction of a new copper smelter by Vedanta’s Sterlite industries in Thoothukudi.

Following the deaths and the ensuing uproar, Union Ministry of Home Affairs sought a report from Tamil Nadu government over Tuticorin incident where 11 people were killed on Tuesday in police firing during protests against Vedanata’s Sterlite industries.

Eleven people were reported killed as police opened fire on protesters who went on a rampage on Tuesday demanding closure of a copper smelting plant in Tamil Nadu’s port city of Tuticorin.

Quoting a senior Home Ministry official, media reports said that MHA is in constant touch with the state government over the issue. Police resorted to firing after a strong crowd started marching to the district collectorate demanding to scrap of the proposed expansion of the plant.

Earlier in the day, the state government convened an emergency meeting. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami set a Commission of inquiry by a retired high court judge Aruna Jagadeesan to probe Thuthukkudi police firing happened on May 22, 2018.

The inquiry by retired High Court judge Aruna Jagadeesan will cover the “law and order incidents following the siege of the District Collectorate by thousands of persons violating prohibitory orders,” reports PTI. However, the government has not specified any time frame to submit the report.

Palaniswami has also announced compensation of Rs 10 lakh for the kin of the deceased and a compensation of Rs three lakh for the severely injured and Rs 1 lakh for those who received minor injuries.

National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to Tamil Nadu government and Director General of Police over the police firing in Thoothukudi. The commission has asked the concerned authorities to submit the report within two weeks.

The Vedanata group has expressed regret over the police firing. It also asked the state government to ensure proper safety of its employees. “It is with great sorrow and regret that we witnessed today’s incidents around the protest at Tuticorin. The company has appealed to the government and authorities to ensure the safety of our employees, facilities and the surrounding community. The Sterlite Copper plant is currently non-operational as we await approval for the Consent to Operate,” says Vedanata group’s statement, reports News Minute.

Congress President Rahul Gandhi condemned the police firing. In a tweet, Gandhi said that police firing is a brutal example of state-sponsored terrorism.

The DMK working president MK Stalin on Wednesday slammed the state government over the police firing. Stalin called it a mass murder of innocent people.

Slamming the state government, DMK leader and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi has said that Palaniswami government is not apologetic about the incident, reported CNN NEWS 18.

Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Wednesday held a protest march in Kerala’s Coimbatore against Tuesday’s police firing. The party also protested at several places in Chennai.

Tamil superstar Rajinikanth has condemned police firing at Tuticorin. In a video message, the superstar has offered condolences to victim’s family.

MK Stalin of DMK, blaming the state government for the violence, said that people had been protesting peacefully for long but the administration did not attempt to address the concerns of the people. The plant should be shut down, he said.

Actor-politician Kamal Haasan made a similar point. “Citizens are not criminals… They are the ones who lose their lives,” Haasan, who had earlier participated in the peaceful protests against the plant, said. “It is the negligence of the government… The government ignored peaceful protests,” he said.

The protestors on Wednesday set two public buses on fire at Tuticorin, reports CNN News 18. A clash took place between locals and police outside General Hospital in Thoothkudi where victims were undergoing treatment.

On Tuesday, the protesters took out a procession towards the collectorate defying prohibitory orders in the area, said chief minister Palaniswami, adding that they threw stones the collector’s office and policemen and set fire to their vehicles.

“The police had to take action under unavoidable circumstances to protect public life and property as the protesters resorted to repeated violence… police had to control the violence,” said Palaniswami, who holds the Home portfolio.

In a late night statement on Tuesday, Sterlite Cooper said it has appealed to the government and authorities to ensure safety of employees and facilities. “It’s with great sorrow and regret that we witnessed today’s incidents around the protest today at Tuticorin… Sterlite Copper plant is non-operational,” it said.

Local residents have been protesting for more than three months against the Sterlite copper smelting plant and its reported expansion. They complained that the state government had not responded to their demands. They had intensified protests demanding closure of the plant after reports came in that the group was seeking licence for expansion as the initial 25 year licence comes to an end.

Tuesday’s protests in the port city of Tuticorin, now called Thoothukudi, were to mark 100 days of their protests against the Sterlite plant, one of India’s biggest copper plants, because they felt it was polluting their environment.

The plant, which can produce 400,000 tonnes of copper a year, has been shut for more than 50 days pending permission from the state pollution regulator due to alleged non-compliance with pollution rules.

But environmental activists point out that the plant, controlled by London-headquartered Vedanta Resources, had been temporarily shut in the past too for violations.

In March 2013, hundreds of people suffered breathing difficulty, nausea and throat infection following an alleged gas leak from the plant. The plant was ordered to shut down following allegations of violating pollution control norms but the National Green Tribunal had ultimately allowed it to be reopened after authorities “failed” to establish that the gas had leaked from Sterlite.

The same year in another case spearheaded by MDMK chief Vaiko, the Supreme Court had slapped a 100 crore fine on the plant for polluting over the years. However, at that time Sterlite, run by the Vedanta group, had claimed it adheres to pollution control norms, the NDTV report said.

Sterlite began operations in 1996. It now employs about 1,000 people full time and about 2,000 on contract. It also provides indirect employment opportunity for around 25,000 people.

India News

Champat Rai, Anil Mishra get clean chit in Ram Temple donation theft case 

The SIT probing alleged donation theft at the Ayodhya Ram Temple has cleared former Trust general secretary Champat Rai and former member Anil Mishra.

Published

on

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing alleged irregularities in donation management at the Ayodhya Ram Temple has cleared former Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust general secretary Champat Rai and former Trust member Anil Mishra.

The Uttar Pradesh Home Department on Monday handed over the SIT’s final report to the Trust, which will now take further action based on the findings.

Rai and Mishra had resigned from their positions on June 27 after allegations of donation theft emerged. The two former Trust members were subsequently questioned by the SIT about the temple’s donation management process.

Champat Rai denied involvement in donation theft

According to sources, Champat Rai told investigators during questioning that he had no role in the alleged theft. He reportedly said that the suspects were arrested following his complaint.

Rai also told the police that ensuring there were no irregularities in donation collection was part of his responsibility and that he acted after learning about the alleged wrongdoing.

SIT was formed before Supreme Court intervention

The three-member SIT was constituted by the Uttar Pradesh government on June 13 at the request of the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust.

Lucknow Divisional Commissioner Vijay Vishwas Pant headed the panel. Range Inspector General Kiran S and Special Secretary (Finance) Neel Ratan Kumar were the other members.

The SIT submitted its preliminary report to the state government on June 23 and made several stringent recommendations.

Following the preliminary report, Trust member Krishnamohan filed a written complaint at the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi police station. An FIR was subsequently registered on June 25.

Eight people named in FIR

The FIR named Avinash Shukla, Anukalp Mishra, Lavkush Mishra, Manish Kumar Yadav, Karunesh Pandey, Ramashankar Mishra, Subhash Srivastava and Ram Shankar Yadav, alias Tinnu, along with other unidentified individuals.

According to the provided report, all eight named accused were arrested and booked under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and Section 13(1)(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act.

The SIT’s preliminary findings also formed the basis for subsequent FIRs and arrest-related action in the case.

Continue Reading

India News

Himanta Sarma accuses Sonia, Rahul of provoking unrest over Vande Mataram row

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma criticised Sonia and Rahul Gandhi over the Vande Mataram controversy and accused Congress of provoking unrest.

Published

on

Himanta sharma

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday criticised Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over the controversy surrounding the rendition of Vande Mataram at the party headquarters in New Delhi on Independence Day.

Sarma questioned how the Congress would govern if it returned to power, alleging that the conduct of its senior leaders during the national song had raised concerns.

“During Vande Mataram, the way Sonia Gandhi behaved and the song was stopped midway clearly indicates that if Congress mistakenly comes to power, the country will face a worse situation,” Mr Sarma said.

The Assam Chief Minister also accused Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi of encouraging protests in the name of Gen Z.

“Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have almost taken a decision to oppose the country in the name of Gen Z. They are provoking people to protest and trying hard to create a bad environment in the country,” he said.

Sarma further alleged that such actions could contribute to instability in the country.

“I am not bothered about these things, but these people are working against the country and provoking the people of the country to protest and bring anarchy,” he said.

What triggered the Vande Mataram controversy

The political row erupted after footage from the Congress Independence Day programme on August 15 surfaced on social media. The video showed senior Congress leaders, including Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Mallikarjun Kharge, during the rendition of Vande Mataram.

BJP leaders have interpreted gestures seen in the footage as an attempt to interrupt the national song. The Congress, however, has rejected that interpretation.

The issue has since become a political flashpoint, with BJP leaders accusing the Congress of disrespecting Vande Mataram.

A complaint seeking action against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over the alleged disruption is also being examined by the Delhi Police.

Continue Reading

India News

BJP unveils 64-member national team with 3 former CMs, 18 MPs and 10 women

The BJP’s new 64-member national team includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women, with representation from 23 states and Union Territories.

Published

on

The BJP’s new 64-member team of national office bearers brings together former chief ministers, sitting MPs, women leaders and representatives from different social and regional groups as the party prepares for the 2029 Lok Sabha election.

The team, headed by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, includes three former chief ministers, 18 sitting MPs and 10 women leaders. More than 40 per cent of the members belong to deprived communities, according to the details of the appointments.

Northeast gets special focus

The new organisational team includes leaders from 23 states and Union Territories, giving the party’s national leadership a broad geographical representation.

The Northeast has received particular attention, with three leaders from Tripura, Assam and Nagaland included in the team. The BJP’s North-East Coordination Cell will also continue to function under the leadership of Sambit Patra.

The team includes four tribal representatives, with one each from West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and the Northeast. Two of these representatives are women.

Three members from Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh represent the Scheduled Castes in the new team.

Representation across communities

The BJP’s national office bearers also include 10 experienced women leaders from different parts of the country.

The team has representation from different religious communities, including one Sikh, two Christians, one Muslim, one Jain and one Parsi member, alongside Hindu leaders.

Former chief ministers and MPs add experience

The organisational team brings considerable administrative and political experience, with former Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat and former Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb among the members.

Four leaders with previous experience in the Union government and one sitting Union minister are also part of the team.

The new national office bearers include 18 sitting Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members, bringing legislative experience and their connection with constituencies to the organisation.

Professionals and younger leaders add to the team

The team also brings together people from varied professional and academic backgrounds. It includes two professors, four practising doctors, as well as PhD holders, engineers, chartered accountants and lawyers.

The appointments to various Morchas are expected to bring organisational experience, fresh energy and domain expertise to the BJP’s national team.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com